redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Tips on bent over barbell row

Firstly, I seen there is a thread on this (and goodmornings), but I didn't want to gatecrash that thread - mainly as it's gone a bit off topic.

Anyway, I'm struggling to do bent over barbell rows. I hate doing them, and I was hoping for some tips. I find that they fatigue my biceps much more than my back, I also find it quite hard going on the back.

I'm going to reduce the weight a little as I think that may be an issue, but can anyone offer any advice on form or any tips with this exercise?

Thanks.
    GOALS for 2009:
    `````````````````````````````
    6 x 90kg (198lbs) bench & 1x100kg (220lbs)
    6 x 120kg (264lbs) deadlift
    6 x 110kg (242lbs) squat

Cycle more for cardio

Beast Mode [on] off Beast Genetics's Avatar
    Beast Genetics is just really nice. (+1000) Beast Genetics is just really nice. (+1000) Beast Genetics is just really nice. (+1000) Beast Genetics is just really nice. (+1000) Beast Genetics is just really nice. (+1000) Beast Genetics is just really nice. (+1000) Beast Genetics is just really nice. (+1000) Beast Genetics is just really nice. (+1000) Beast Genetics is just really nice. (+1000) Beast Genetics is just really nice. (+1000) Beast Genetics is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your arms fatigue before your back because your arms are not strong enough to get your back the work it needs. Work on your arms fatigue issue and that exercise should be more beneficial to you.
    TEAM KELLUM

RIP *Sara Epstein*,*Loula Rain Gonzalez*

Excuses or Results pick one you cant have both.

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight.

bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Place your hands slightly wider than shoulder width apart. Make sure your back is as close to parallel as possible. Concentrate on your pull from the elbows instead of the hands, i feel that lets you feel your back more. Make sure you're pulling to your sturnum (just below chest) instead of your belly button area.

redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) redrabbit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bookv View Post
    Place your hands slightly wider than shoulder width apart. Make sure your back is as close to parallel as possible. Concentrate on your pull from the elbows instead of the hands, i feel that lets you feel your back more. Make sure you're pulling to your sturnum (just below chest) instead of your belly button area.
    Should you be trying to keep your body as still as possible?

And by parrellel, you mean bent right over so that you are completely parrellel to the floor?

Thanks?
    GOALS for 2009:
    6 x 110kg (242lbs) squat

Cycle more for cardio

LuxuryChic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuxuryChic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuxuryChic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuxuryChic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuxuryChic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuxuryChic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuxuryChic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuxuryChic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuxuryChic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuxuryChic will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuxuryChic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by redrabbit View Post

And by parrellel, you mean bent right over so that you are completely parrellel to the floor?

Thanks?
    The more parrellel you are the more it hits you lats...I used to do them at 45 degree angle and i would feel it more in my biceps than my lats (i was also pulling the bar to my belly button) then i started bending over as close to parrellel to the floor as much as possible and pulled to my sternun and i felt it MUCH more in my lats....

also the wider the grips the better....but the wider the grip the less weight you should use as you rely more on ur lats to move the weight...my hands are usually wider then my shoulders apart....really hits the lats good

Originally Posted by LuxuryChic View Post
    (i was also pulling the bar to my belly button)
    On exrx.net it looks like the guy is pulling it up to his waist/stomach area. So I should be pulling it up to my chest?

That makes a lot of sense.
    GOALS for 2009:
    6 x 110kg (242lbs) squat

Cycle more for cardio

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    On exrx.net it looks like the guy is pulling it up to his waist/stomach area. So I should be pulling it up to my chest?

Well if you're parallel to the floor (as you should be) you have no choice but to pull to the chest.

I get quite a sore back quite often. In fact it is bad now. Currently in work I am spending about 6 hours of the day sat in a chair in a classroom. This is not the problem though as I get a sore back anyway.

At the moment it is in the middle-upper of the back, and feels like it is a muscle pain more than anything.

Shame it's my back/bicep day too :-(
    GOALS for 2009:
    6 x 110kg (242lbs) squat

Cycle more for cardio

PhD in Broscience crackyflipside's Avatar
    crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What helped me when I was starting was to get a towel or t-shirt then rest my head on a wall nearby and do the rows that way. Once I was comfortable and used to the movement I now do them free standing.
    Olympic Weightlifting: Cuban Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=703396581

Snatch: 97kg
    Clean and jerk: 120kg
    Front squat 160kg
    Back squat: 170kg

vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    there is an article on t-nation today about back training (rows)..

the best thing in it (which i have used/taught i nthe past)..

pull with the backs of your elbows, not your biceps...

keep your elbows close to your body

etc.
    SCIVATION XTEND...... 8-10 scoops a-day make the fibras happy!!!!!!

check my bodyspace blog.....

learn how to squat right SQUAT RX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI&mode=related&search=

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by vegasdsm View Post
    there is an article on t-nation today about back training (rows)..

the best thing in it (which i have used/taught i nthe past)..

pull with the backs of your elbows, not your biceps...

keep your elbows close to your body

etc.
    The only exception I take with this is keeping your elbows close to your body. You should do this if you're primarily after lat width; normally, you're doing rows to gain midback thickness, in which case you want to keep your elbows out. People opting for both width and thickness can compromise by angling their elbows at about a 45-degree angle to their torso.

Otherwise, sound advice.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50) vegasdsm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hulkinout View Post
    The only exception I take with this is keeping your elbows close to your body. You should do this if you're primarily after lat width; normally, you're doing rows to gain midback thickness, in which case you want to keep your elbows out. People opting for both width and thickness can compromise by angling their elbows at about a 45-degree angle to their torso.

Otherwise, sound advice.
    agreed.. i should have been a lil more precise.....
    SCIVATION XTEND...... 8-10 scoops a-day make the fibras happy!!!!!!

check my bodyspace blog.....

learn how to squat right SQUAT RX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI&mode=related&search=

CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Make sure you're not rounding your back.
    True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by vegasdsm View Post
    agreed.. i should have been a lil more precise.....
    Just finished the t-nation article myself...it's a good read. Picked up a couple things I hadn't considered before. Thanks for mentioning it.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)

it depends what you want to work, i pull to the lower chest as i find it hits the middle back more which is the main area i want to hit when doing the rows. go lower and youll definitely feel more in the lats.
    I think the bicep thing is just a newby thing, and obviously your bi's are still weaker, dont think that curling is going to make them strong.. keep rowing and it should die off and it wont bother you anymore.
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bookv has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thanks?
    Well, it's not going to be completely parallel to the floor, but should be pretty close, probably halfway between 45 degrees and parallel. Maintain a slight arch in your back and keep your body still. Imagine there is a heavy plate on your back not letting you move, and focus on the pulling motion.

I did my back last night and after deadlifting I went onto bent over barbell row (I HATE doing it!). Anyway, It hurt my lower back quite a lot and again it seemed to effect my arms more than my actual back.

I will lower the weight even more next time, as that may be the issue.

Not sure what's wrong with my back. It's always been a bit funny, as in it get's quite uncomfortable. For example, it's quite a good relieft when I bend sideways and stretch it a bit, or twist my upper body around because it just seems really stiff and aches quite a lot - especially when sitting down.

Thanks everyone.
    GOALS for 2009:
    6 x 110kg (242lbs) squat

Cycle more for cardio

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If it keeps hurting, stop doing the exercise.
    There are plenty of other rowing exercises you can do instead (Yates Rows, T-bars, DB rows, etc).

+ row before you deadlift
    Who was this love of yours?

Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    If it keeps hurting, stop doing the exercise.
    There are plenty of other rowing exercises you can do instead (Yates Rows, T-bars, DB rows, etc).

+ row before you deadlift
    Cool, I'll just do a different exercise, I just can't get on with it for some reason.

Do most people row before deadlifting then? What about one arm db row?
    GOALS for 2009:
    6 x 110kg (242lbs) squat

Cycle more for cardio

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    that sounds fine

good luck
    Who was this love of yours?

jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Cool, I'll just do a different exercise, I just can't get on with it for some reason.

Do most people row before deadlifting then? What about one arm db row?
    I row before deadlifting too. I don't do the BB rows any longer. I prefer the db rows and incline db rows. I think with most exercises db's work better.