1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

What is NOT good for post-workout?

I would like to get away from my post workout shake.Are there things I should stay away from? I heard some one say its not good to eat fat after a work out,is this true? I was thinking a tuna sandwich post-workout.What do you have after your workout if not a shake?

Thanks
    p.s My search is not working so if you know of a thread on this I would love a link.

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Why do you not want a post workout shake?
    "Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe. ": Saint Augustine

"So what exactly would you say you DO here??"

"Does this suit make me look fat??"
    "No, your face does."

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Actually a protein shake taken within 30 min of your workout (mixed with some sort of high GI carb which will give you an insulin spike) is the best thing to have.... a drink is easily digestable and you want that protein into your muscles as soon as possible.

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by twinnett View Post
    Why do you not want a post workout shake?
    I was trying to cut out some of my calories between gym and work.Right now it looks like this.
    10:00 after gym shake with carbs-250 cal.
    11:00 Hungery and need to eat something-300 cal.
    12:00 Need to eat before work,last meal untill 3:00-350 cal.
    I do like my shakes but I was thinking if I had a real meal post-workout I would not feel the need to eat at 11:00.Maybe I should just stick with what im doing.

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Eating a meal an hour after your shake is fine...nutrition around workouts is very important! maybe cut back on the shake calories and add more to the meal an hour later?
    "Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe. ": Saint Augustine

"So what exactly would you say you DO here??"

"Does this suit make me look fat??"
    "No, your face does."

Originally Posted by twinnett View Post
    Eating a meal an hour after your shake is fine...nutrition around workouts is very important! maybe cut back on the shake calories and add more to the meal an hour later?
    I think your right.I just feel like im eating so much between 10 and 12, on my days off I have my shake and a real meal a hour later and then dont eat for about two to three hours later and feel fine.Im not realy hungry at my 12:00 meal but if I dont eat its around four hours before I eat again and I start to feel sick after about three hours.

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I used to freak out that I seemed to have eaten half my daily calories by midday but then I realised, the meals around your workouts are so crucial...
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breathingsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by imperfectly_lou View Post
    I used to freak out that I seemed to have eaten half my daily calories by midday but then I realised, the meals around your workouts are so crucial...
    Totally agree. Don't be afraid to eat more pre/post WO.
    "Self-discipline implies some unpleasant things to me, including staying away from chocolate and keeping my hands out of other people's pants."

--Oleg Kiselev

MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 1972girl View Post
    I would like to get away from my post workout shake.Are there things I should stay away from? I heard some one say its not good to eat fat after a work out,is this true? I was thinking a tuna sandwich post-workout.What do you have after your workout if not a shake?
    I agree with all the other ladies that food intake around your workouts is the most critical. With that being said, every so often I just get sick of protein shakes and need something different. PWO, you need a very "bio-available" protein that can be quickly broken down into amino acids and fired into your muscles. Next to whey isolate, the best real-food alternative is egg whites. You need to accompany that with a high GI carb to spike your insulin levels and give your body the fuel to power the muscle recovery process. Any kind of fruit is pretty high in sugar, with bananas being about the highest GI. Other than that you could do white rice cakes, white bread, white rice, pure dextrose candies. It's the one time of day you can eat a high GI refined carb.
    There is no such thing as good or bad, only thinking makes it so

Your outlook on life is a direct reflection of how much you like yourself

The biggest burden is a great potential

Registered User litlfalafelgirl's Avatar
    litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MauiZos View Post
    PWO, you need a very "bio-available" protein that can be quickly broken down into amino acids and fired into your muscles. Next to whey isolate, the best real-food alternative is egg whites.

what do you think of egg beaters as an alternative to egg whites? do they provide the same quality as whites? my mom hates it when i "waste" eggs by using the whites only, so i've been eating egg beaters.

anyone have an opinion on cereal and skim milk post workout?

MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I buy liquid egg whites by the case from costco - like 40 cartons or more at a time. Between my boyfriend and I we go through about half a litre of egg whites a day. I can't imagine how many eggs I'd have to crack to get that much!

I've never found any evidence that egg beaters are nutritionally any better or worse than egg whites straight from the egg. The only difference is they are pasteurized in the container, but that doesn't seem to have any effect on the protein. So in my humble opinion, liquid is the way to go.

Oh, and I also learned on Martha Stewart one day that you can cook the egg yolks and leave them outside for the birds.
    There is no such thing as good or bad, only thinking makes it so

Your outlook on life is a direct reflection of how much you like yourself

The biggest burden is a great potential

polinutrigirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) polinutrigirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) polinutrigirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) polinutrigirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) polinutrigirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) polinutrigirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) polinutrigirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) polinutrigirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) polinutrigirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) polinutrigirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) polinutrigirl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I go to the gym at night (5:30 after work). I immediately drink just plain whey (30g. mixed w/ water, about 110 cals) post workout, then have my dinner, which is protein and veggies (no complex carbs, and I never eat simple carbs at all). For my nightly snack (every night, whether a work out day or not), I have nuts (peanuts, almonds or pistachios) for just protein/fat, low carbs.

I think you should just switch to plain whey after your workout. It's helped me enormously. No need for a huge 250 cal. shake.
    I want to be stronger--I'm already lean!

Check out my myspace at myspace/polinutrigirl