Page 70 of 96 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 72 80 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 2859
    🥋 A Karate Kid age 64 🔥 Samraiwise's Avatar
    Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    You have an outstanding attitude!
    Very inspirational!

Reps: you have succeeded at your upward spiral
    Thank you for such a kind encouragement. I've checked your home gym photos, which are full of great improvisations!!

--------------

My home gym hasn't changed a bit for the last 20 years or so.....a small room with my beloved 30-year-old bench, a bar stand for chin-up and squat and literally tons of plates.

Just a few old vids there. Almost 10 years ago, you can see young but chubby me, VHS video tapes and tube TV which were all obsolete long time ago!!

You know what, I also eat and sleep there. *shrug*

Last edited by Samraiwise; 03-19-2018 at 03:40 AM.

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thank you for your nice comment on my home gym pictures, Kaz. I devised the chain safety system after a failed bench press. Unlike your video, however, the bar hit my neck. (I'm lucky to be alive!) Details of the chain system here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1546698821

Also, nice to see someone else who uses standard plates! Over the years, I gradually bought several used standard plate sets and additional 25-pound plates. When I started getting serious again in the past year or so, rather than buying a whole new olympic set, I just bought two vintage standard-plate York powerlifting bars and some 50-pound plates.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thank you for your nice comment on my home gym pictures, Kaz. I devised the chain safety system after a failed bench press. Unlike your video, however, the bar hit my neck. (I'm lucky to be alive!) Details of the chain system here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1546698821

Also, nice to see someone else who uses standard plates! Over the years, I gradually bought several used standard plate sets and additional 25-pound plates. When I started getting serious again in the past year or so, rather than buying a whole new olympic set, I just bought two vintage standard-plate York powerlifting bars and some 50-pound plates.
    I started out with standard plates, but the cheap bar I had bent at about 180 lbs. My olympic bar is far from top of the line, but I do feel more secure working with it.

Kaz, that's a masterful technique of getting out from under that failed bench press. Before I built my rack with safety bars I had a great fear of failing at the bench press, so I didn't risk maximum weights very often. When I did fail, rolling down my abdomen was extremely uncomfortable. I'm not so worried about failure nowdays.

And BTW, I'm in awe of the weight hanging on that pullup!
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    I started out with standard plates, but the cheap bar I had bent at about 180 lbs. My olympic bar is far from top of the line, but I do feel more secure working with it.
    I hear you about the Olympic bar, but I already had over 800 pounds of standard plates and several specialty bars, so I just didn’t want to add a whole additional 300 pound Olympic set, plus additional plates for that.

I was very happy to find those two standard-plate powerlifting bars, since they were supposedly rated for at least 600 pounds. I’ve used 520 so far with no bending.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz
    I devised the chain safety system after a failed bench press. Unlike your video, however, the bar hit my neck. (I'm lucky to be alive!) Details of the chain system here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1546698821

Oooh, that was really really scary story. Good thing you are still alive and lifting despite that.

I followed your URL link. Your post with photos and explanations is a great one and also that home gym thread itself. Very inspirational too!

I strongly suggest that you should upload a vid to youtube. Let others see and understand how your chain system works in real action.

I hear you about the Olympic bar, but I already had over 800 pounds of standard plates and several specialty bars, so I just didn’t want to add a whole additional 300 pound Olympic set, plus additional plates for that.

I was very happy to find those two standard-plate powerlifting bars, since they were supposedly rated for at least 600 pounds. I’ve used 520 so far with no bending.
    We call us home gym brothers!!

My small room with a low ceiling doesn't allow me to use a 7ft Olympic bar. Instead I use 6ft(180cm) standard bar. Once you start collecting plates, there is no turning back....just keep buying plates with 28mm hole.

I've never tasted a revolving Olympic bar......

Kaz, that's a masterful technique of getting out from under that failed bench press. Before I built my rack with safety bars I had a great fear of failing at the bench press, so I didn't risk maximum weights very often. When I did fail, rolling down my abdomen was extremely uncomfortable. I'm not so worried about failure nowdays.
    Wow! Dave, you build everything you need!!!

Because of my low ceiling and a shorter(6 ft) bar, I couldn't find an orthodox power rack which fits in my room. So I've been doing that from the very start (I had to), when I was using very light weights. More than 30 years of doing it makes me an expert of "failed bench".

And BTW, I'm in awe of the weight hanging on that pullup!
    You mean my BALLs? Thanks, I think....(j/k)

I was and still is a strong believer of "Grease The Groove" method especially for chin/pull-ups. It also works weighted chin/pull-ups.

The main reason for it works is that the exercise is the only one which doesn't tax your small back. The catch is it taxes your elbows and tendons.

So if you have weak elbows then you do bent rows more, if you have weak small back then you do chin/pull-ups more.

For me it doesn't matter, for a time span of 30 years, both my small back and elbows now know better. The first sign of pains you don't like means "say when".
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 03-20-2018 at 05:45 AM.
    🌺 Lauren Brooks Kelly (snailsrus) - Jul 25, 1991 – Jan 29, 2022
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

⭐ Samurai Break: 140kg(308lb) Failed Bench Press Recovery Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eIkpZ29u0
    ⭐ Over 35 Journals > Samurai, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4832373&page=200
    📌 Please Call me Kaz, a 64-year-old 🥋 Karate Kid in Tokyo.

Mar 2018 Jogging & walk:

3rd 13km (8 mi) jog & walk without limp
    4th 11km (6.8 mi)
    10th 15km (9.3 mi)
    11th 11km (6.8 mi)
    14th 15km (9.3 mi)
    17th 14km (8.7 mi)
    18th 16km (10 mi))
    -----------------
    Total 95 km (59 mi)

-------------------------------

CIMG0014.jpg
    CIMG0048.jpg
    CIMG0160.jpg
    CIMG0042.jpg
    CIMG0093.jpg
    CIMG0119.jpg
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 03-19-2018 at 07:36 PM.
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good to see that running. I love running however going to reduce it to the absolute minimum and LISS instead. Also because soon I have to start getting some miles in on my bike.

Hopefully the weather has improved there? it was -11C here this morning.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

Originally Posted by cantplankwell View Post
    good to see that running. I love running however going to reduce it to the absolute minimum and liss instead. Also because soon i have to start getting some miles in on my bike.
    Mine was rather LSD (long slow distance) than run. And now since my left leg injury (more than a month passed but still haven't healed) it becomes less jog and more walk. Good luck on your charity ride!!

Originally Posted by cantplankwell View Post
    hopefully the weather has improved there? It was -11c here this morning.
    -11c(12f) !!!!!!!!!!!! You live in Toronto. right? I lived in Akita (located in north eastern Japan) when I was young. There I experienced that kind of climate.

Where I live/work now, temperature seldom drops to below freezing so when (Jan. 25th) the temp in central Tokyo hit a record low of -4C (22.8F) in the last 48 years, it made the news!!

Yesterday, it was 18C(64.4F) and already cherry blossoms (somei yoshino) which was the same kind of cherry tree in High Park (Toronto) was starting to bloom!!

----------------------------

This isn't Somei Yoshino which is the most popular cherry blossom around the world. This one is called Kawazu-zakura, my favorite, one of the earliest blooming cherry blossoms. These photos were shot earlier this month.

Actually I like its color, more brilliant pink than Somei Yoshino's whitish pink.

And you can enjoy this cherry blossoms for almost a month because they bloom in turn not all together while Somei Yoshino trees bloom and fall all at once so they last only for a week.

CIMG1294.jpg
    CIMG1302.jpg
    CIMG1326.jpg
    CIMG1414.jpg
    CIMG1283.jpg
    CIMG1384.jpg

"Old Man's War" (2005) OMW 1 by John Scalzi.

Up there among stars and planets, Colonial Union and CDF, its Defense Force are fighting Aliens for human colonies. Down here, on Earth 75-year-old citizens in developed countries could join CDF. Each volunteer is given a new body which is based on one's own DNA but genetically engineered to be a great soldier.

This is a story of John Perry's second life as a CDF soldier. Since he lost his beloved wife, Earth no longer can offer anything to him.

----

There is another great Military SiFi book written by A great author Robert.A.Heinlein, "Starship Troopers (1959)". A former naval officer who served on an aircraft carrier and later also a destroyer wrote the book in the middle of the cold war. Though a few aliens appear in the book, it is really about a bipolar world, an interstellar war between Giant Bugs and Humans.

"Old Man's War"(2005) and the series are about interstellar wars among various alien species. Human is one of many. (I met at least half a dozen aliens in the first two books.)

Starship Troopers:

1) Battles are fought both in the space and on the ground. There is interservice rivalry between spaceship pilots and mobile infantryman.

2) The Mobile Infantry uses various powered armor suits.

3) People join the armed service for citizenship.
    (They call a new MI recruit, "fresh meat for the grinder".)

Old Man's War:

1) Battle scenes are mainly fought by foot soldiers on the ground. Space battle scenes are usually short and briefly described. There are two branches of armed forces, realborn CDF soldiers and cloned Special Forces called the Ghost Brigades. The former is over 75 years old, and the latter is usually under ten years old.
    (of course, pilots appear in various scenes but most of the time they pilot troop transports to planets surfaces or other bases.)

2) Both CDF soldiers and the Ghost Brigades are given genetically enhanced bodies.

Their main weapon is MP-35 nicknamed "empee", using nanotech material for multipurpose ammunitions (like rifle, shotgun, grenade, missile, flamethrower and microwave beam)

3) Senior citizens join the armed service for a new and longer life.
    (What they don't know is their low survival rate during their 10-year service commitment.)

What I like:

Despite a lot of gruesome descriptions and deaths, I like its optimistic tone and humor.

Spoiler!

What I don't like:

Spoiler!

I give this book 4 stars. But I must admit I doubt there are many books better than this in the genre .  

Year 2018:

1. Your Heart Belongs to Me" (2008) by Dean Koontz" #30(Audiobook) *Medical thriller
    2. "From the Corner of His Eye" (2000) by Dean Koontz #31(Audiobook) *Psychopath and Quantum mechanics
    3. "Bird Box" (2014) by Josh Malerman (Kindle)
    4. "Phantoms" (1998) by Dean Koontz #32(Audiobook) *SiFi Horror
    5. "Prisoner B-3087" (2013) by Alan Gratz (Kindle)
    6. "Fear Nothing" (1998) by Dean Koontz #33(Audiobook) *the Moonlight Bay Trilogy Part I
    7. "Seize the Night" (1999) by Dean Koontz #34(Audiobook) *the Moonlight Bay Trilogy Part II
    8. "The Door to December" (1985) by Dean Koontz #35(Audiobook)
    9. "The Dead Town" (2011) by Dean Koontz #36(Kindle) **Frankenstein Series V
    10. "Mr. Murder" (2011) by Dean Koontz #37(Audiobook) *Clone Psychopath
    11. "Red Rising" (2014) by Pierce Brown (Kindle) *SiFi
    12. "Strangers" (1986) by Dean Koontz #38(Audiobook) *Close encounter
    13. "Old Man's War" (2005) OMW 1 by John Scalzi (Kindle) *Military SiFi
    14. "The Bad Place" (1990) by Dean Koontz #39(Audiobook) *Supernatural

--------currently reading-----------
    15. "The Ghost Brigades" OMW 2 by by John Scalzi (Kindle) *Military SiFi
    16. "False Memory" (1999) by Dean Koontz #40(Audiobook)
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 03-21-2018 at 05:34 AM.

Mar 2018 Jogging & walk:

4th 11km (6.8 mi)
    10th 15km (9.3 mi)
    11th 11km (6.8 mi)
    14th 15km (9.3 mi)
    17th 14km (8.7 mi)
    18th 16km (10 mi)
    22nd 14km (8.7 mi)
    24th 15km (9.3 mi)
    25th 15km (9.3 mi)
    31st ?? km (?? mi)
    -----------------
    Total 139 km (86 mi)

There's one more day left.

------------------------------------------

CIMG0200.jpg
    CIMG0268.jpg
    CIMG0208.jpg
    CIMG0220.jpg
    CIMG0285.jpg
    CIMG0339.jpg

I like going outside and taking self-portraits under the sun, with a tripod and self-timer.

Outside self-portraits with a tripod and self-timer.

1) Get used to it

To take photos of myself posing with a tripod and self-timer in public places without getting self-conscious is impossible. At first I had a hard time, posing always draws curious looks from passersby and when that happens I wasn't able to pose natural.

But eventually I got used to it, that means everyone could.

2) Take more photos

The more photos I take, the more good ones I can get. If I took 100 photos, likely I could pick more photos I really like than I took only 10.

My compact digital camera can take three photos at a time.

Once you get a knack for using self-timer, it only takes 30- 40 mins to shoot 150 photos.

---------------------------------

CIMG0439.jpg
    CIMG0443.jpg
    CIMG0444.jpg
    CIMG0452.jpg
    CIMG0454.jpg
    CIMG0467.jpg
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 03-29-2018 at 04:21 AM.

3) Find your "go-to pose"

Not so long after I started posing for camera I realized there are three types of poses.

The first two types are obvious, always-bad and always-good
    In the beginning, I thought all my poses are always-bad and there was no always-good. But things slowly began to change as my knowledge of photo shooting and posing were becoming better. I started finding some always-good among my photos. (not that they look good to everyone else...)

The third type is always-capricious, those get different result each time. This type of pose can be both a disappointment and a plesant surprise. This type of pose needs certain conditions to meet, like lighting or camera angle, both vertical and horizontal. If I can find out exactly what makes that pose to work, it would be no longer capricious.

4) Experiment with new poses

In order to replace my "always-bad" poses, I experiment new ones once in a while. Also because my taste changes from time to time, my favorite poses today may not be the same tomorrow.

To know my own tendency and breaking that pattern can make a great deal of difference in my self-portraits.

Well, the same thing could be said about our attitudes toward physical training.

-----------------------------

CIMG0618.jpg
    CIMG0774.jpg
    CIMG0710.jpg
    CIMG0676.jpg
    CIMG0655.jpg
    CIMG0634.jpg
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 03-29-2018 at 11:03 PM.

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You give some good advice there, Kaz. I have always been camera-shy, I would much rather be behind the lens than in front of it. But I really like your photos, and the poses you do, so what you're saying rings true.
    -Voltaire

You give some good advice there, Kaz. I have always been camera-shy, I would much rather be behind the lens than in front of it. But I really like your photos, and the poses you do, so what you're saying rings true.
    I really hope somebody reading this could overcome his/her camera-shy.

When the most goal-oriented and determined-to-beat-the-odds guy I know says good things about me, all I can do is to keep doing what I do and smile.

Although the day when I'd get tired of my own stupid pics will certainly come, it's just not today (a wise man once told me so).

Thank you my friend, Dave. *bow*

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Samraiwise View Post
    Mar 2018 Jogging & walk:

4th 11km (6.8 mi)
    10th 15km (9.3 mi)
    11th 11km (6.8 mi)
    14th 15km (9.3 mi)
    17th 14km (8.7 mi)
    18th 16km (10 mi)
    22nd 14km (8.7 mi)
    24th 15km (9.3 mi)
    25th 15km (9.3 mi)
    31st ?? km (?? mi)
    -----------------
    Total 139 km (86 mi)

There's one more day left.
    I don't put near the miles in you do (walking, jogging, or biking), but after the ride schedule for this afternoon (55F ), I'll have 150 miles for the year. Trying for 1,000 miles on my bike but keep in mind that I never ride more for an hour at any one time.

Kaz, keep killin' it in the gym (and the dinner table ), because you look great!

Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    I don't put near the miles in you do (walking, jogging, or biking), but after the ride schedule for this afternoon (55F), I'll have 150 miles for the year. Trying for 1,000 miles on my bike but keep in mind that I never ride more for an hour at any one time.

Kaz, keep killin' it in the gym (and the dinner table), because you look great!
    Thank you Payton, I'm a sucker for flattery!!

You too, have happy and safe ridings, m'friend!!

=======================

Mar 2018 Jogging & walk:

4th 11km (6.8 mi)
    10th 15km (9.3 mi)
    11th 11km (6.8 mi)
    14th 15km (9.3 mi)
    17th 14km (8.7 mi)
    18th 16km (10 mi)
    22nd 14km (8.7 mi)
    24th 15km (9.3 mi)
    25th 15km (9.3 mi)
    31st 16km (10 mi)
    -----------------
    Total 155 km (96 mi)

--------------------------------
    The Life - Sized Unicorn Gundam Statue in Odaiba
    *19.7 m (65 ft)

"The giant model was built to transform from "Unicorn Mode" to "Destroy Mode" with illuminating and moving parts."

CIMG0811.jpg
    CIMG0816.jpg
    CIMG0892.jpg
    CIMG0897.jpg
    CIMG0907.jpg
    CIMG1037.jpg

"The Bad Place" (1990) by Dean Koontz. This is my 39th book of DK.

Bobby and Julie are a husband and a wife, who run a private security company.

Frank, their new client is suffering amnesia. Everytime he wakes up there are signs that something inexplicable or terrible happened while he's asleep but he cannot remember anything. Those signs are black sands, the rarest red diamonds, a mysterious otherworldly bug, blood on his hands, and so on.

They find Frank has a few false IDs with himself but when they try to reach the original owner of those IDs find instead that someone has already killed them violently.

A shadow with twisted sense of vengeance from Frank's macabre past is catching up with him.

----

What I like:

Unlike typical protagonists of Koontz, the lead characters in this book are not loaded but making-ends-meet working people, and that is rare in Koontz' books. Julie (wife) has a brother, Thomas who has Down's Syndrome and lives in full care facility with similar children and not with the couple. She and her husband has been saving money with a hope someday to buy a house, take full care of Julie's brother and live together as a family.

Spoiler!

What I don't like:

Spoiler!

I give this book 4 stars.  

Year 2018:
    Code:
    1. Your Heart Belongs to Me" (2008) by Dean Koontz" #30(Audiobook) *Medical thriller
    2. "From the Corner of His Eye" (2000) by Dean Koontz #31(Audiobook) *Psychopath and Quantum mechanics
    6. "Fear Nothing" (1998) by Dean Koontz #33(Audiobook) *the Moonlight Bay Trilogy Part I 
    7. "Seize the Night" (1999) by Dean Koontz #34(Audiobook) *the Moonlight Bay Trilogy Part II 
    16. "False Memory" (1999) by Dean Koontz #40(Audiobook) *Mind control
    17 "The Taking" (2004) by Dean Koontz #41(Audiobook)
    18 "The Voice of the Night" (1980) by Dean Koontz #42(Audiobook)

19. "The Last Colony" OMW 3 by by John Scalzi (Kindle) *Military SiFi
    20. "The Eyes of Darkness" (1981) by Dean Koontz #43(Audiobook)
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 04-04-2018 at 06:01 AM.

"The Ghost Brigades" by by John Scalzi. This is Old Man's War series book 2.

The CDF (Colonial Defense Forces) discovered an escaped leading scientist of conscious transfer technology is now instigating three races against humanity. They also found The copy of his consciousness stored in a device created by the scientist.
    To learn the traitor's true intentions and his whereabout, the colonial special forces create a body with his DNA and transfer his consciousness to it.

In the meantime the Ghost Brigades try to break up the alliance of the three races (one is supposed to be an ally to the Colonial Union) which are plotting a war against humanity.

----

The title "The Ghost Brigades" is a nickname of Colonial Special Forces. Each GB soldier's body is created from the DNA of dead volunteer (who provided DNA samples at age 65) and consciousness is transferred to the body when clone process is completed. Each body is actually a superhuman hybrid.

The GB first appeared in book 1 "Old Man's War", Lt. Jane Sagan, who was cloned with the DNA of John Perry's dead wife, was one of their team leader. I was a little disappointed when I found out that John Perry wasn't in Book 2. Instead they introduced another character, Jared Dirac who had a body and mind of the traitor (though it still remained latent at first).

The book 1 was a first-person story from John Perry's perspective. It served as an introduction to the universe of "Old Man's War" in general. The second part of it was about John and Jane's relationship development among other special force members in the midst of the most critical mission for the humanity.

The first part of this book 2 is about the character development of each member of special forces surrounding Jared. Their way of thinking and ability is the norm of this story. I can almost hear their drill instructor's yelling, "What are you 12 years old!?". The author described them like a group of mischievous little kids and more like normal people with emotions rather than those very distant super soldiers in book 1.

The second part starts with an actual mission against one of three hostile races on their home planet
    Spoiler!

The final battle has two fronts. One is fought between the survivers of Jane's team and Obin, an intelligent race but without any consciousness=soul, another is fought between Jared and the traitor/mastermind, the original Charles Boutin.

"Old Man's War" is full of humor and joy shared by its characters, while "The Ghost Brigades" is filled with non-shareable personal grief and sorrow.

Both books are good and now I finished both, I was truly ready for the next book, the series' climax, "The Last Colony" (book 3 of Old Man's War).

I give this book 5 stars.  

Year 2018:

Code:
    17 "The Taking" (2004) by Dean Koontz #41(Audiobook)
    18 "The Voice of the Night" (1980) by Dean Koontz #42(Audiobook)
    19. "The Last Colony" (2007) OMW 3 by by John Scalzi (Kindle) *Military SiFi

Last edited by Samraiwise; 04-06-2018 at 06:09 AM.

5) Make friends with the Sun

The position of the sun at a specific time of day and season matters.

I've learned to avoid low front light (in the morning especially winter).

When I am directly facing the sun, strong and bright sunlight tends to wash out what little muscle definition I have. No shadow just flat white silhouette of my body. Also the sun makes me squint my eyes and already slitty eyes of mine get slittier. The good news for us old codgers is that it flatten out wrinkles on your face too, LOL.

So what should I do? Place the camera about 30-45 dgrees away from the sunlight, so I could avoid directly facing the sun.

But for some poses, direct front light could produce the best results. So for light sensitive poses, I take several shots with different light angles.

6) Camera Height

The closer the distance between camera and I, the more camera height matters.

Above Waist (Eye level):
    head larger, legs shorter and feet smaller.

Waist level:
    My head and feet are the same distance from the camera.

Below Waist:
    head smaller, legs longer and feet larger.

*Sorry about my childish illustration.... m(_ _)m

----------------------------------

CIMG1087.jpg
    CIMG1093.jpg
    CIMG1118.jpg
    CIMG1104.jpg
    CIMG1167.jpg
    Camera Height4.jpg

Apr 2018 Jogging & walk:

1st 16km (10 mi)
    7th 15km (9.3 mi)
    8th 15km (9.3 mi)
    -----------------
    Total 46 km (29 mi)

CIMG1479.jpg
    CIMG1601.jpg
    CIMG1504.jpg
    CIMG1611.jpg
    CIMG1483.jpg
    CIMG1613.jpg

Roy is the first friend Col*in has ever had, who is bold, athletic and the most popular 14-year-old boy, while Col*in is a shy and non-athletic bookworm who loves comic, horror and SiFi books.

When Col*in finally realizes the real difference between Roy and himself the true horror begins. Everyone believes Roy but not Col*in. Even his own mother thinks Col*in is the one who's lying.

“You ever killed anything?”Now Col*in's nightmare starts.

----

S.King has written many books in which a group of teenagers is at the center of each story. This is the first book (I've read so far) Koontz weaved a story around teenagers.

What I like:

The villain isn't a born killer.

Spoiler!

What I don't like:

It's Roy's lack of relentlessness which makes the 2nd part of the story like a deflated balloon (but I like the final confrontation between the two boys, it is exciting enough).

Spoiler!

I give this book 3 stars.  

Year 2018:

Code:
    15. "The Ghost Brigades" (2006) OMW 2 by by John Scalzi (Kindle) *Military SiFi
    17. "The Taking" (2004) by Dean Koontz #41(Audiobook) *Close encounter 
    18. "The Voice of the Night" (1980) by Dean Koontz #42(Audiobook) *Psycho teen 
    19. "The Last Colony" (2007) OMW 3 by by John Scalzi (Kindle) *Military SiFi

21. "The Human Division" (2013) OMW 5 by by John Scalzi (Kindle) *Military SiFi
    22. "Zoe's Tale" (2008) OMW 4 by by John Scalzi (Audiobook)
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 04-10-2018 at 05:07 AM.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice work on the running Kaz, look at the blue sky in those pictures, been awhile since I have seen any blue sky here, and its cold too.

Never was into Koontz

Right now I am reading an older series by Patrick O'Brian;

This is the first book in the series, I am a couple of books in.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000) daawhitty is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Fantastic pictures Kaz. Strong and athletic.

Sorry to hear about your hammy pull - I've got one too its been 3 weeks since I pulled mine and its about 75% fixed. Walking and slow jogging is fine its just weak in the deadlift pull position. I have some PT due next week so I hope to learn when it will be close to 100% again.

Good luck and health.
    New Year New Me - Lifting after serious illness
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175332111&p=1542264891#post1542264891
    FMH Crew - playing the iron game

Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    Nice work on the running Kaz, look at the blue sky in those pictures, been awhile since I have seen any blue sky here, and its cold too.

Never was into Koontz

Thank you m'friend, yes I know how lucky I am to have those clear sky so often here in Japan.

The series are in my must-read-list, ever since I saw the film. Just maritime jargon combined with age-specific terminology gave me enough excuse for my procrastination.

The contrast between the peace and battle, the beauty of the Galapagos islands (Master and Commander is the first feature film to be shot on the Galapagos islands, so I've heard.) and the ferocious battle scenes, makes it a great movie!!

Originally Posted by daawhitty View Post
    Fantastic pictures Kaz. Strong and athletic.

Sorry to hear about your hammy pull - I've got one too its been 3 weeks since I pulled mine and its about 75% fixed. Walking and slow jogging is fine its just weak in the deadlift pull position. I have some PT due next week so I hope to learn when it will be close to 100% again.

Good luck and health.
    Thank you Darren, m'friend! Almost two months since the injury, but I still feel like something's not right.
    My job requires hours of desk work and I have to raise my left knee slightly otherwise sitting impairs blood circulation and causes dull pain afterward.

You too good luck, I hope you get well soon to 100%!

I'll be back when I will have finished reading your journal. My respect. *bow*
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 04-12-2018 at 06:05 AM.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hi Big Kazzy. Bringing back the memories. Great to see that your journal is a hit and like I said in 2007, you are a valued member of this forum and you are considered royalty.

Watch out for the ninjas because they are still around.

All the best my friend
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post

Never was into Koontz

That series almost got me fired some years back. I literally could not put it down. The movie was good, but the books were far, far better. The last couple of books in the series slowed down a bit, as O’Brien himself got older, but that leaves many gripping tales beforehand.
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    Hi Big Kazzy. Bringing back the memories. Great to see that your journal is a hit and like I said in 2007, you are a valued member of this forum and you are considered royalty.

Watch out for the ninjas because they are still around.

All the best my friend
    There are two points in my life I sometimes dream of going back if I could, one is my childhood when my mother read a book each night before I go to sleep and another is when I started my own journal here yet having no friend but you, Mark.

Now those ninjas are old too, maybe we could compete who suffers more from pain of old age, like acid reflux or arthritis........

Good to know we both are still here alive and kicking!!

That series almost got me fired some years back. I literally could not put it down. The movie was good, but the books were far, far better. The last couple of books in the series slowed down a bit, as O’Brien himself got older, but that leaves many gripping tales beforehand.
    How's your deloading, Dave? LOL, just take good care of yourself.

You know what!? I've just checked my kindle and there is Patrick O'brian's "Master and Commander" finished 100%.....that says I already read the book years ago though I have no recollection of it.

I really should better start diggin' my grave, wait....what if I can't remember where I dig my grave....or worse the fact I've already dug one........
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 04-15-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Originally Posted by Samraiwise View Post
    How's your deloading, Dave? LOL, just take good care of yourself.

You know what!? I've just checked my kindle and there is Patrick O'brian's "Master and Commander" finished 100%.....that says I already read the book years ago though I have no recollection of it.

I really should better start diggin' my grave, wait....what if I can't remember where I dig my grave....or worse the fact I've already dug one........
    Well, I guess you at least were able to put it down!

First (Friday) workout in the bag, I'm about to make a journal entry now. Second session is tonight.

Hope your pulled muscle is healing well, Kaz. Strange the many unexpected fronts we find ourselves under attack from. Our own bodies more often than not!
    -Voltaire

Well, I guess you at least were able to put it down!

First (Friday) workout in the bag, I'm about to make a journal entry now. Second session is tonight.

Hope your pulled muscle is healing well, Kaz. Strange the many unexpected fronts we find ourselves under attack from. Our own bodies more often than not!
    Welcome back Dave!! I think the book probably is a little too much for my English reading ability and that's why I was able to put down after only one book. *shrug*

At least my injuries are those I could have prevented if I were more careful and patience. I can't blame anyone but myself. *again shrug*

Apr 2018 Jogging & walk:

1st 16km (10 mi)
    7th 15km (9.3 mi)
    8th 15km (9.3 mi)
    11th 15km (9.3 mi)
    14th 20km (12.4 mi)
    15th 13km (8.1 mi)
    -----------------
    Total 94 km (58.4 mi)

CIMG1691.jpg
    CIMG1693.jpg
    CIMG1673.jpg
    CIMG1694.jpg
    CIMG2073.jpg
    CIMG2044.jpg

[QUOTE=Samraiwise;1549289791]Welcome back Dave!! I think the book probably is a little too much for my English reading ability and that's why I was able to put down after only one book. *shrug*

At least my injuries are those I could have prevented if I were more careful and patience. I can't blame anyone but myself. *again shrug*

Apr 2018 Jogging & walk:

1st 16km (10 mi)
    7th 15km (9.3 mi)
    8th 15km (9.3 mi)
    11th 15km (9.3 mi)
    14th 20km (12.4 mi)
    15th 13km (8.1 mi)
    -----------------
    Total 94 km (58.4 mi)

The book was definitely written with an accent! I always was interested in the age of sail, and the book is very historically accurate in its depiction of the culture and technology of the times. It's also based (loosely) on a true story, and its obvious the amount of research that went into it. But certainly, it's not for everyone.

Really good set of walk/jogs you have going on there, and the poses do show your build quite well. Lots to be proud of!
    -Voltaire

Page 70 of 96 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 72 80 ... LastLast