mike penderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is my exercise making me fitter and stronger or is it a total waste of time?

I do uphill training on an exercise bike 3 times per week for about 25 minutes each time for fitness and to strengthen my legs and to reduce my obesity weight. I do 2 x 3 sets of biceps exercises once a week, 3 x 3 sets of chest exercises, and 3 x 3 sets of shoulder exercises once a week (with free weights). Am I wasting my time with the weights exercises or will I benefit from them?
    Last edited by mike penderson; 09-25-2007 at 11:24 PM.

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    why would doing weights be a waste of time?

MissThing is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MissThing is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MissThing is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MissThing is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MissThing is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MissThing is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MissThing is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MissThing is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MissThing is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MissThing is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MissThing is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mike penderson View Post
    I do uphill training on an exercise bike 3 times per week for about 25 minutes each time for fitness and to strengthen my legs and to reduce my obesity weight. I do 2 x 3 sets of biceps exercises once a week, 3 x 3 sets of chest exercises, and 3 x 3 sets of shoulder exercises once a week (with free weights). Am I wasting my time with the weights exercises or will I benefit from them?
    Of course you'll benefit if you're doing the exercise properly. but why are you only working biceps, chest and shoulders?
    LIFT. EAT. REST. REPEAT.

part of DA...keep it on the QT

Aussie_Dan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Combining resistance training with Cardio is always going to be a winner when trying to Lose weight.
    trying to remember properly
    but Resistance Training helps increase the BMR for 72 hours??
    can anyone confirm this.

It is definitely a winner!!

Add some more compound movement into your exercise program. Push ups against a horizontal bar. Pullups from udnerneath a horizontal bar and squats are great!

Originally Posted by Tetsu. View Post
    why would doing weights be a waste of time?
    I have been in a relationship for just over a year...We are going through a lot of problems right now...I don't feel respected...But I also have no self esteem left to get away from the relationship...he knows this...All I do are worry about us and our problems, and someday I know it's not worth dealing with, but I do love him...Today for no apparent reason I started thinking to myself..I need to find a hobby...I can't think of anything else to do but start exercising and working on building my self esteem...I am what I consider to be very over weight, and I know by doing something about myself, I would be less apt to let him walk all over me...If I take a brisk walk every day (30-40 min) drink 6-8 glasses of water, eat smaller portions and work out every other day (things I can do at home, I can afford a gym membership), cut out junk food (seems to be the only thing that's making me happy anymore) will I lose weight or am I wasting my time doing it by myself?

Originally Posted by mike penderson View Post
    I have been in a relationship for just over a year...We are going through a lot of problems right now...I don't feel respected...But I also have no self esteem left to get away from the relationship...he knows this...All I do are worry about us and our problems, and someday I know it's not worth dealing with, but I do love him...Today for no apparent reason I started thinking to myself..I need to find a hobby...I can't think of anything else to do but start exercising and working on building my self esteem...I am what I consider to be very over weight, and I know by doing something about myself, I would be less apt to let him walk all over me...If I take a brisk walk every day (30-40 min) drink 6-8 glasses of water, eat smaller portions and work out every other day (things I can do at home, I can afford a gym membership), cut out junk food (seems to be the only thing that's making me happy anymore) will I lose weight or am I wasting my time doing it by myself?
    Thanks in advance.

Mr Vincent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Vincent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Vincent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Vincent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Vincent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Vincent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Vincent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Vincent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Vincent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Vincent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Vincent will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "Today for no apparent reason I started thinking to myself..I need to find a hobby...I can't think of anything else to do but start exercising and working on building my self esteem"

Your already ahead of the game with that thinking. I wish I was 25 again and had your problems. Actually, I started working out after my mom died, so I understand where you are coming from.

My advice is to join a gym and let them set you up on a training program. Keep reading these forums...there is a lot of good stuff here if you look hard enough.
    The body is a terrible thing to waste.

TheDeepBlue is a name known to all. (+5000) TheDeepBlue is a name known to all. (+5000) TheDeepBlue is a name known to all. (+5000) TheDeepBlue is a name known to all. (+5000) TheDeepBlue is a name known to all. (+5000) TheDeepBlue is a name known to all. (+5000) TheDeepBlue is a name known to all. (+5000) TheDeepBlue is a name known to all. (+5000) TheDeepBlue is a name known to all. (+5000) TheDeepBlue is a name known to all. (+5000) TheDeepBlue is a name known to all. (+5000)
    if you really want to loose the weight do some resistance work your legs, they are a big muscle group!!! this means they burn alot calories even when your sitting on your arse.

Thanks for your all replies.

Originally Posted by TheDeepBlue View Post
    if you really want to loose the weight do some resistance work your legs, they are a big muscle group!!! this means they burn alot calories even when your sitting on your arse.
    I am currently working on my speed. I want to know from a marathon runner, what weight training, involving the legs did you find most helpful with speed, without sacrificing your long runs? Are there specific calf exercises? Have you discovered which muscles are used the most during running? Do explosive moves give you more power throughout your stride ?