Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000)

Question Carbohydrate Cycling; Fix for Fat Loss Plateau?

I have been on a diet aimed at creating insulin sensitivity in attempt to promote fat loss for 6-8 weeks now. I have lost 15+lbs of fat (from 208 down to 193). My BF % has gone from 16% down to 10%, though now I have been stuck for a few weeks. That is where I feel Carb Cycling is going to help.

From what I have read, Carb Cycling uses the same principles as creatin insulin sensitivity during low card days during the cycle, but adds in high carb days every 3-4 days during the cycle. This is supposed to promote a very high metabolic rate and break plateauing.

Anyone have any success with this?

Here are soem articles on the subject for those interested...
    http://magazine.mindandmuscle.net/pa...159&issueID=15
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mielke4.htm
    Psalms 51:10-13

morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thats what Ive been trying for the past couple of weeks. I think its been working, I havent done much in the way of measuring myself lately.

HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000) HalleluYAH is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by morry
    Thats what Ive been trying for the past couple of weeks. I think its been working, I havent done much in the way of measuring myself lately.
    I am gong to cycling carbs effective immediately. I have on low carbs days exclusively for 6-8 weeks with great gains. Adding in high and no-carb days should break the recent plateau.

I will continue to use this thread to update progress. Hopefully yourself and others will do the same.

Also, are you sticking to mostly comples (low GI) carbs on your high carb days?

Dimensionally Gifted KingOfChaos's Avatar
    KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by HalleluYAH

Except for pre and post work out, you're supposed to use low GI carbs to keep fat gain to a minimum.
    http://www.alanaragon.com/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    http://www.leangains.com/

Originally Posted by KingOfChaos
    Except for pre and post work out, you're supposed to use low GI carbs to keep fat gain to a minimum.
    Yes I eat complex carbs exclusively, I was asking him specifically what he does during his high-carb (reload) days. Thanks for the confirmation though.

endo42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endo42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endo42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endo42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endo42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endo42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endo42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endo42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) endo42 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KingOfChaos
    are bananas ok after cardio in the morning?

Originally Posted by endo42
    are bananas ok after cardio in the morning?
    I avoid bananas all together when cutting, they are not the best choice (alot of fat calories). Try supplementing granny smith apples.

dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am gong to cycling carbs effective immediately. I have on low carbs days exclusively for 6-8 weeks with great gains. Adding in high and no-carb days should break the recent plateau.

I will continue to use this thread to update progress. Hopefully yourself and others will do the same.

hey hall can you give me an example menu on your no carb day.

Originally Posted by dtrek
    hey hall can you give me an example menu on your no carb day.
    1. 4 Egg whites, 2 tall glasses water, 1 tbsp flaxseed oil.
    2. 1 Can tuna, 1/2 cup raw spinach, 2 glasses water.
    3. 1 Chicken breast, handful of broccoli, 2 glasses water.
    4. Handfull of peanuts/walnuts, water.
    5. 30g Whey Protein.
    6. 1/2 Chciken Breast, Fish Gels, water.

dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrek is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

1. 4 Egg whites, 2 tall glasses water, 1 tbsp flaxseed oil.
    2. 1 Can tuna, 1/2 cup raw spinach, 2 glasses water.
    3. 1 Chicken breast, handful of broccoli, 2 glasses water.
    4. Handfull of peanuts/walnuts, water.
    5. 30g Whey Protein.
    6. 1/2 Chciken Breast, Fish Gels, water.
    looks good im gonna give this atry might be just what i need to break this 3 wk slump. thanks

MrMel will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrMel will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrMel will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrMel will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrMel will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrMel will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrMel will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrMel will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrMel will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrMel will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrMel will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Should I?

I am at 202 right now and at about 22% BF.
    Im loosing about 2-2.5 lbs per week.
    I am trying to get back down to 185.
    My daily carb is about 100g.

Would it be okay to start carb cycling, or should I wait?

It seems that it has the benefit of helping to maintain and even
    gain muscle while cutting.

Thanks!!!

morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morry is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

On my high carb days I pretty much eat oats. I like em and they are pretty good for you too. I might sneak in some wholemeal bread or a muffin, but on the whole, oats it is.

During the low carb phase, I live on tuna, chicken, turkey and steak. I really need to get more veggies in me though.

Let us know how you go. I have a measure up and weigh in tomorrow morning. Hopefully I will see some results.

Talking

Originally Posted by morry
    On my high carb days I pretty much eat oats. I like em and they are pretty good for you too. I might sneak in some wholemeal bread or a muffin, but on the whole, oats it is.

During the low carb phase, I live on tuna, chicken, turkey and steak. I really need to get more veggies in me though.

Let us know how you go. I have a measure up and weigh in tomorrow morning. Hopefully I will see some results.
    I too will be re-loading up on oats myself during high carb days.

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MrMel
    I am at 202 right now and at about 22% BF.
    Im loosing about 2-2.5 lbs per week.
    I am trying to get back down to 185.
    My daily carb is about 100g.

Would it be okay to start carb cycling, or should I wait?

It seems that it has the benefit of helping to maintain and even
    gain muscle while cutting.

Thanks!!!
    You can wait until you plateau, or start cycling carbs now. It is entirely up to you. Just good to have this in your back pocket. It may be beneficial to start now though.

Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Check out A.Free Radical's log, he has been using carb cycling very effectively and has a link to the program he has been using. Regards, Odin

I know violence isn't the answer...I got it wrong on purpose.

Question

Originally Posted by Odin
    Check out A.Free Radical's log, he has been using carb cycling very effectively and has a link to the program he has been using. Regards, Odin
    Odin, Thanks for the head's up. I am going to try and locate the log, but in case I have no success, where will I find this?

Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Odin, Thanks for the head's up. I am going to try and locate the log, but in case I have no success, where will I find this?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697

HTH, Odin

I know violence isn't the answer...I got it wrong on purpose.

levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i HATE THIS PLATEAU!!! GRRR, lol...so i've decided that monday i start carb cycling. I read the huge article on bb.com and here's the schedule that i came up with...what does everyone think?

monday - low
    tuesday - no
    wednesday - high
    thursday - no
    friday - low
    saturday - no
    sunday - high

low days= less than 40-65g carbs
    no= as little as possible
    high = as much carbs as possible
    (not including fibrous veggies on those carb totals, as per what i read in the article)

i've got this diet worked out to where i am consuming about the following:
    high carb days = 3100 cals
    low carb days = 2200 cals
    no carb days = 1900 cals

hows that sound? i am starting monday! cant wait to break this plateau
    "I now only have good days, and great days"
    -Lance Armstrong

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by levels1069
    i HATE THIS PLATEAU!!! GRRR, lol...so i've decided that monday i start carb cycling. I read the huge article on bb.com and here's the schedule that i came up with...what does everyone think?

monday - low
    tuesday - no
    wednesday - high
    thursday - no
    friday - low
    saturday - no
    sunday - high

low days= less than 40-65g carbs
    no= as little as possible
    high = as much carbs as possible
    (not including fibrous veggies on those carb totals, as per what i read in the article)

i've got this diet worked out to where i am consuming about the following:
    high carb days = 3100 cals
    low carb days = 2200 cals
    no carb days = 1900 cals

hows that sound? i am starting monday! cant wait to break this plateau
    Looks good to me, and very encouraging for sure. I started today, and will keep my results posted on this thread.
    I am very much looking forward to hearing how this works for you also. Keeop me posted.
    Last edited by HalleluYAH; 04-15-2005 at 11:57 AM.

My new workout/carb cycling split will be as follows:

Day 1 Shoulders, Traps (High Carb)
    Day 2 Quads, Hams, Calves (Low Carb)
    Day 3 Rest (Low Carb)
    Day 4 Back, Bis, Forearms (High Carb)
    Day 5 Chest, Tris (Low Carb)
    Day 6 Rest (No Carb)
    Day 7 Rest (Low Carb)

levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) levels1069 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i had to change mine around to start, but today is my no carb day

meal:
    1- protein shake immediately upon waking
    2- two omelettes, egg whites only, a little bit of mushrooms
    3- (eating now) swordfish over broccoli
    4- 3 egg whites, protein shake (pre-wo)
    5- protein shake (post wo)
    5- chicken breast over onions, mushrooms
    6- .5 cup of cottage cheese

being that yesterday was a carb up, this isnt starting out too bad....
    question though, how much fat are you guys taking in on your no carb days?
    i think i'm up to like 55grams, too much?
    (keep in mind this is all cafeteria food, i'm at college so i take what i can get)
    "I now only have good days, and great days"
    -Lance Armstrong

Wink

Originally Posted by levels1069
    i had to change mine around to start, but today is my no carb day

meal:
    1- protein shake immediately upon waking
    2- two omelettes, egg whites only, a little bit of mushrooms
    3- (eating now) swordfish over broccoli
    4- 3 egg whites, protein shake (pre-wo)
    5- protein shake (post wo)
    5- chicken breast over onions, mushrooms
    6- .5 cup of cottage cheese

being that yesterday was a carb up, this isnt starting out too bad....
    question though, how much fat are you guys taking in on your no carb days?
    i think i'm up to like 55grams, too much?
    (keep in mind this is all cafeteria food, i'm at college so i take what i can get)
    Right on brother, looks good for a no-carb day.

I put a lower emphasis on fats during my hi-carb days.
    I am eating medium amonts of fat on low carb day (flax, fish oil etc)
    I put a high emphasis on fats during no carb days (flax, olive oil, fish gels)

Today is Day#1 on Split Listed above (Hi-Carb Day)

7:30am 1 Cup Oats, 1 tbsp Flaxseed,
    20g Whey,
    2 Hard Boiled Eggs
    11:00am 1/2 Sweet Potato,
    5 Hard-Boiled Eggs,
    1/2 cup Fresh Spinach,
    Handful Cashews
    2:30pm 1/2 Sweet Potato
    30g Whey
    Handful Fresh Spinach
    Handful Cashews
    5:30pm 1 Cup Oats
    Handful Peanuts/Raisins (Pre-Workout)
    6:30 GYM (Shoulders, Traps)
    7:45pm 30g Whey, 20g Simple Sugars (Dextrose, Maltodextrin)
    9:45pm 1 Chicken Breast

Approx 190g Protein
    225g Carbs
    25g Fiber
    125g Fats

Note: I am on a cuttnig phase, so my low carb days average about 100-150g of total carbs, you can see that my high carb day doubles this amount.

Once bulking I will greatly increase the carb amounts and introudce more higher starchy carbs. During this split, I will only eat starchy carbs during one of the high carb days in which I will attempt to eat 300g Carbs.
    Last edited by HalleluYAH; 04-18-2005 at 07:35 PM.

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't see how you are coming up with 25 grams of fat total. 5 hard boiled eggs has that many and you have 2 more eggs, chicken, nuts and flaxseed oil. I don't think you are eating too much fat, I just want you to know your calories may be off because of thes unaccounted for fats.

A.FreeRadical
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

Question

Originally Posted by A.FreeRadical
    I don't see how you are coming up with 25 grams of fat total. 5 hard boiled eggs has that many and you have 2 more eggs, chicken, nuts and flaxseed oil. I don't think you are eating too much fat, I just want you to know your calories may be off because of thes unaccounted for fats.

A.FreeRadical
    I have not put enough emphasis on counting fat totals, although I do keep them at a minimum. FYI: I ususally throw out 1/2 the egg yolks.

Hey Rad,

Are you familiar with a good online nutrient counter in which I will not have to weigh out the foods in grams?

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have not put enough emphasis on counting fat totals, although I do keep them at a minimum. FYI: I ususally throw out 1/2 the egg yolks.

Hey Rad,

Are you familiar with a good online nutrient counter in which I will not have to weigh out the foods in grams?
    I use and like Fitday. Go to http://www.fitday.com and join. It is free and you can easily keep track of your calories, protein, carbs, and various kinds of fats. You can select slice, cup, oz, grams, tablespoon, pint, fluid oz. etc. It does bmr and activity calories burned. I would not bother with that. Fitday estimates calories burned very high. You can figure that out for yourself once you have your diet, your routine and a few weeks to see how much you are gaining or losing.

I throw out about half of my yolks too. Now that I am on a bulk, maybe less than half.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Visit my plan for 8% bf http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

Thumbs up

hey hal man the carb cycling is doin the trick, had been stuck on 258 for 3 wks. started last wed and as of this am was down to 255. i finally broke the plateau FOR NOW anyway. thanks

50joe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 50joe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 50joe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 50joe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 50joe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 50joe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 50joe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 50joe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 50joe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 50joe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 50joe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A++ for carb cycling!

I tried this last year, it worked great. I did a basic 3 day deal, where 1st day is high carbs, 2nd is low, 3rd is none, repeat. Worked a hella lot better for me then either low-carb, or no carb. And i found it very muscle sparing.
    50joe...lover of bodybuilding, and builder of 4G63T motors.

Originally posted by psikooz:
    "I have seen it happen to lots of young prosperous bodbuilders, they start taking creatine 5 grams a day, then eventually its 10. then after a month or 2 they stop and they get sick and want creatine... All they can think about is creatine.. CREATINE CREATINE!!! Finally when they get some they start taking 20 gs aday just to feed the habit, and before you know it they die of withdrawl."

Originally Posted by 50joe
    A++ for carb cycling!

I tried this last year, it worked great. I did a basic 3 day deal, where 1st day is high carbs, 2nd is low, 3rd is none, repeat. Worked a hella lot better for me then either low-carb, or no carb. And i found it very muscle sparing.
    im definitly a believer.

sharaabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sharaabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sharaabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sharaabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sharaabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sharaabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sharaabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sharaabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sharaabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sharaabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sharaabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I hit a plateu to loose fat and am on the south beach diet,
    i finish my 2 weeks of eating nothing but meat and veggies 4/20/2004..... then i introduce HEALTHY whole foods from then on. Ive lost 10lb in 2 weeks, I KNOW its water but i just had to shock my body to let it know i wanna loose fat.

my question:
    I was at 24% body fat standing at 6'00 before I started.
    DO YOU THINK THIS IS A WISE DIET TO FOLLOW with lets say 22%bodyfat?
    im an endomorph.
    It's not what you do for 30-60 minutes per day that makes the difference.

It's what you do the other 23-23.5 hours of the day that counts

01-01-2003 - 272lb
    01-01-2004 - 240lb
    01-01-2005 - 230lb
    01-01-2006 - 195lb
    by summer - 200-THICK n CUT !
    SLOW n STEADY wins the race