Geh DDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Importence of legs for wrestling?

I'll probably be wrestling at 125 as a sophmore in highschool but I need to know if i should work more on my legs rather then focusing almost solely on my arms, neck, and back. Willl having stronger legs help while in a match?

Registered User TheCrazyCossack's Avatar
    TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCrazyCossack will become famous soon enough. (+50)

As a Tauren would say....

"Start Running!!!"

Wrestling is alot about cardio and overall body conditioning, doesnt matter how good your technique is if you cant perform it, and vice versa. I'd say run like crazy... and follow what your coach has to tell you, probably alot more informative then anyone on here can tell you, conditioning is key, along with overall body strength... you need strength everywhere so balance it out.

BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000)
    strong legs definitely help. Cossack is right that cardio is one of the most important elements. If you get tired, then your screwed.

In my opinion, if you have to just pick one muscle group I'd go w/ back (although its important to be well-rounded, so you definitely need to work your legs too).
    "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac." -Henry Kissinger

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster . . . for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

< 1k Posts/Year Crew StevieSparkZ's Avatar
    StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Exclamation

Work a lot on plyometrics with your legs....wrestling is about explosiveness, the more explosive guy will win...that 's if he doesn't gas out which is why wrestlers do so much cardio....

Your legs will propel your shots better and etc.

This is Absolution! AmateurWrestler's Avatar
    AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    screw distance running, that doesn't simulate the kind of toll you take during a wrestling match, theyre like roller coasters, with lots of highs and some lows. my advice is to get your cardio through a lot of live wrestling, running lots of hard fairly long sprints, and some jump roping tor balance and agility. for lifting, concentrate on things like squats, deadlifts, cleans, incline, pullups, rows...stuff like that, keep it simple.
    "Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom."

- Viktor Frankl, Austrian Psychiatrist and survivor of a Nazi concentration camp

"Nothing can resist the human will that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."

- Benjamin Disraeli

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Of course they are important. why don't you sit on your butt, and try to wrestle someone that way see how well you do.

When you are an athlete yoour body is one big tool. Not a collection of body parts. Ignore your reflectiuon, and worry about performance, not what you curl.
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

Geh DDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I almost consistanly out-conditioned my opponents in 3rd period/OT. Thanks for the advice, I guess i'll start hitting the squat rack.

HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    along with squats, do lunges and hyper-extensions. i read in a lifting magazine that OSU does an 8-week lifting program doing squats, lunges, and hyper-extensions. and their performance shows, being the #1 college in wrestling.

and as for conditioning, do HIIT/wrestle live/hard drilling/circuit train/jump rope/etc.

imo the most important muscles are the back, shoulders, biceps, core/hips, quads/hams, neck, and triceps. i'm not saying you don't use your other muscles, but they don't play major roles in wrestling.

tackler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tackler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tackler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tackler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tackler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by HydroStorm
    along with squats, do lunges and hyper-extensions. i read in a lifting magazine that OSU does an 8-week lifting program doing squats, lunges, and hyper-extensions. and their performance shows, being the #1 college in wrestling.

and as for conditioning, do HIIT/wrestle live/hard drilling/circuit train/jump rope/etc.

imo the most important muscles are the back, shoulders, biceps, core/hips, quads/hams, neck, and triceps. i'm not saying you don't use your other muscles, but they don't play major roles in wrestling.
    ohio state ?!?! =))
    what magazine was it in??
    What time is it?!?!

Game-time!!

What time is it?!?

Game-time!!

Are da dawgs in da house!!??!?!

UHUHUHUHUHUH!!!!!

Let's go!!!!!!!

HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    crap, oklahoma state, lol sorry for the misconception. it was in some sort of lifting/sport training magazine that was in the school weight room.

BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BongoBanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AmateurWrestler
    screw distance running, that doesn't simulate the kind of toll you take during a wrestling match, theyre like roller coasters, with lots of highs and some lows. my advice is to get your cardio through a lot of live wrestling, running lots of hard fairly long sprints, and some jump roping tor balance and agility. for lifting, concentrate on things like squats, deadlifts, cleans, incline, pullups, rows...stuff like that, keep it simple.

Bump to this. Dont forget about strengthing your core. Powerfull hips are great to have.

And the best way to get in shape for wrestlign is to accual wrestle. My coach has us do 3 minute periods so the normall 2 minutes will be easier.