DazedConfused has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DazedConfused has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DazedConfused has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Post Workout Meal/Late Night?

I have to work out until 8 p.m. some nights...like tonight.

What would be the best post workout meal? Solid meal with balance of carbs....or protein shake?

I am trying to lose fat but keep the muscle...

I couldn't find any resources for those that MUST work out at night after work.....
    "Just Win Baby"

Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Whole food will always be superior when trying to lose weight...body has to work harder to break whole food down than it will to break down a fast-acting shake. Not sure what your daily carb intake looks like, but even when I work out quite late, I still incorporate carbs post-workout (for me, it is always white rice since it is always whole food and white rice is the highest GI carb I can have). Don't get too hung up about what time you eat, but that doesn't mean to eat a huge meal at 10 pm either. Most days, even my post workout meal has only 25g of carbs (1/2 cup of white rice). But I eat my no carb meals as late as midnight if thats when I'm up to (I usually eat 60g worth of egg whites for my last meal).

DazedConfused has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DazedConfused has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DazedConfused has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks Mr. Someday

I just ate 3 turkey burgers and a cup of brocolli...

Each turkey burger has 19 grams of protein.....
    "Just Win Baby"

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DazedConfused
    I have to work out until 8 p.m. some nights...like tonight.

What would be the best post workout meal? Solid meal with balance of carbs....or protein shake?

I am trying to lose fat but keep the muscle...

I couldn't find any resources for those that MUST work out at night after work.....

Just make sure that you dont go to bed right after you eat. Stay up for a couple of hours and let the food get in your system.

Thanks powerlifter.......I am contemplating a whey protein shake about 11:30 p.m.

Good to see another Pacific NWester......I am in Oregon. Thanks for the advice
    "Just Win Baby"

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by powerlifter70
    Just make sure that you dont go to bed right after you eat. Stay up for a couple of hours and let the food get in your system.
    ??? I eat tuna with olive oil before going to bed most nights. Any food eaten before bed will digest whether you are asleep or awake.

Many folks eat a slow digesting protein (with some fats) meal before bed. Cottage cheese with pb or nuts for example. Cottage Cheese digests slowly and the pb or nuts will slow digesting further. Something like this will provide nutrients during the deep sleep/growth hormone cycle. If you eat nothing before bed, you may miss taking advantage of this cycle and your body will go catabolic earlier than it needs to.

DazedConfuse, whey protein digests too fast for a pre-bed meal. Save that for post workout.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Visit my plan for 8% bf http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DazedConfused
    Thanks powerlifter.......I am contemplating a whey protein shake about 11:30 p.m.

Good to see another Pacific NWester......I am in Oregon. Thanks for the advice
    Whey protien is a fast digesting supplement. It will go thought your system fast. You need a slow digesting protien. Try a casein base protien powder. It is a slow release/digesting protien that will stay in your system longer.