Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Carbsthe Fat Man's Poison Druluv75's Avatar
    Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thanks for the love RU4A69
    "Forget man's so-called logic and find your own metabolic needs." - Vince Gironda

DD66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DD66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DD66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DD66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DD66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DD66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DD66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DD66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DD66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DD66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DD66 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great post. I wonder also why carbs are so respected for fuel, because like Dru says, its short duration fuel, and pretty much any sport you do, you tap in your fat as a fuel pretty quickly. I ran a marathon on a low carb nutrition, hi fat hi protein, and had no probleme

Originally Posted by Druluv75 View Post
    Good question, Making a transition from carbs to fat is a hard thing to do. It takes a while to fully adapt to using fat as fuel. As far as sports go, I don?t have enough information on what to suggest. If it were me, I would slowly reduce the amount of carbs until I feel I can go with out it. I feel that carbs is such a short duration fuel, and I can?t understand why its respected so much. When blood sugar gets low, the body will switch to use fat as fuel anyway, but the body can only tap fat cells when insulin is low. It would seem its better to train with a keto diet if you ask me. The muscle cells have no problem using fat as fuel, and will probably do better using fat as a fuel. But you have to get your muscles adapted to use fat as fuel. If you find that your recovery is slow start with complex carbs first, I will never suggest sugar to anyone, then work up the ladder until you find the lowest amount of carbs you need to kick ass.

It should be about health phabphour20's Avatar
    phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Merry Christmas Dru!

-PP
    I just want to be healthy.

Carbsthe Fat Man's Poison Druluv75's Avatar
    Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks PP for the holiday greetings.

I have been away for awhile, but I'm always living keto, because its keto for life! Today is my keto birthday! The journey started one year ago on this date. Firstly, I have to thank the room for all its help during the year, I couldn't have made it a month with out the room's help; and happy I found this forum.

My stats for the year Start 305lbs, Year End 234lbs, drop 71lbs. with no lose skin!!!
    Pants size for the start 44" now I'm a 34"
    Shirt size for the start xxxl now its XL

I still have a couple more lbs of fat to drop to complete this journey, though

Keto is so much part of my life now, so much so, I ended up losing weight during the holidays, while stuffing my face; I just skip the carbs.

To all thanks again for your help!
    "Forget man's so-called logic and find your own metabolic needs." - Vince Gironda

realworksuks is just really nice. (+1000) realworksuks is just really nice. (+1000) realworksuks is just really nice. (+1000) realworksuks is just really nice. (+1000) realworksuks is just really nice. (+1000) realworksuks is just really nice. (+1000) realworksuks is just really nice. (+1000) realworksuks is just really nice. (+1000) realworksuks is just really nice. (+1000) realworksuks is just really nice. (+1000) realworksuks is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Druluv75 View Post
    Thanks PP for the holiday greetings.

I have been away for awhile, but I'm always living keto, because its keto for life! Today is my keto birthday! The journey started one year ago on this date. Firstly, I have to thank the room for all its help during the year, I couldn't have made it a month with out the room's help; and happy I found this forum.

My stats for the year Start 305lbs, Year End 234lbs, drop 71lbs. with no lose skin!!!
    Pants size for the start 44" now I'm a 34"
    Shirt size for the start xxxl now its XL

I still have a couple more lbs of fat to drop to complete this journey, though

Keto is so much part of my life now, so much so, I ended up losing weight during the holidays, while stuffing my face; I just skip the carbs.

To all thanks again for your help!
    Wow man, that's great progress! I'm a little late but i'll be following your journal, keep up the good work!
    Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/c/solidnate

druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Its been a while so I'm Check-in

With the summer coming up, its time to begin the hard-core cut. With the weather getting warmer, I hope hormones and fat cells will be a little bit more friendly.

For the hard-core cut I'm trying to drop carbs to zero. Zero is a hard number to strive for because eggs have 1gram per serving. So on the days I'm eating eggs that will be my high carb count. I also cut out anything that might elicit an insulin response; so I cut out veggies, diet soda, and fake sugar during the keto phase. I also cut out cheese on the keto portion of the diet.

In the beginning of the hard cut, I'm still doing two days of a carb up with a concentration of mostly starchy carbs and but limited with sugar; I'm no friend of sugar. The carb-up would considered dirty to the majority of the room, but my problem is with insulin, I want to push insulin but I don't want a rapid and high insulin response. This makes getting back to keto a little bit easier because the fat during the carb up will lessen insulin output.

Basiclly, My main focus on the cut portion of my diet is to try and keep insulin levels low.
    I have 12mm to lose or 4-6" on my tummy, according to my calipers, to get my six pack. For most men, the fat around the belly is the most insulin sensitive cells, so I need to drop carbs as low as possible to even try to reach those fat cells.

I want to drop calories, but I want my body to tell me how much I can drop. I want to use hunger cues to judge how much I need. If I feel good on very low calories, I know that the blood stream is flooded with fat form my belly. I also want to limit meals, insulin is pushed even after a keto meal, so longer time between meals, means more time for the body to tap belly fat cells.

I also want to change up the omega fat profile, I want less 6 more 3. Thats why I trying to eat salmon for lunch, and grass-fed beef for dinner.

The diet is pretty simple

Morning meal
    4- 6 eggs
    Heavy Cream/ Coffee

Lunch
    Salmon - sashimi

Snack
    Heavy cream/ Coffee

Dinner
    Any cut grass-fed beef

The goal is no real body weight change, I'm only after the fat on my belly. So I want to stay around the 235 to 245 range.

Wish me luck!
    Oh yeah training

Gironda style training

Two session per day
    Mon/Wed - upper body - Chest, Back, Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps
    Tues - Lower body - Quads, Hamstrings, Calves

bigg_K is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigg_K is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigg_K is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigg_K is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigg_K is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigg_K is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigg_K is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigg_K is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigg_K is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigg_K is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigg_K is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey man best of luck on your cut! I'm cutting as well, so we'll see how it goes.

I like some of the ideas you presented. Could you explain why on the omega 6 vs 3?
    Originally Posted by druluv View Post
    Its been a while so I'm Check-in

With the summer coming up, its time to begin the hard-core cut. With the weather getting warmer, I hope hormones and fat cells will be a little bit more friendly.

For the hard-core cut I'm trying to drop carbs to zero. Zero is a hard number to strive for because eggs have 1gram per serving. So on the days I'm eating eggs that will be my high carb count. I also cut out anything that might elicit an insulin response; so I cut out veggies, diet soda, and fake sugar during the keto phase. I also cut out cheese on the keto portion of the diet.

In the beginning of the hard cut, I'm still doing two days of a carb up with a concentration of mostly starchy carbs and but limited with sugar; I'm no friend of sugar. The carb-up would considered dirty to the majority of the room, but my problem is with insulin, I want to push insulin but I don't want a rapid and high insulin response. This makes getting back to keto a little bit easier because the fat during the carb up will lessen insulin output.

Basiclly, My main focus on the cut portion of my diet is to try and keep insulin levels low.
    I have 12mm to lose or 4-6" on my tummy, according to my calipers, to get my six pack. For most men, the fat around the belly is the most insulin sensitive cells, so I need to drop carbs as low as possible to even try to reach those fat cells.

I want to drop calories, but I want my body to tell me how much I can drop. I want to use hunger cues to judge how much I need. If I feel good on very low calories, I know that the blood stream is flooded with fat form my belly. I also want to limit meals, insulin is pushed even after a keto meal, so longer time between meals, means more time for the body to tap belly fat cells.

I also want to change up the omega fat profile, I want less 6 more 3. Thats why I trying to eat salmon for lunch, and grass-fed beef for dinner.

The diet is pretty simple

Morning meal
    4- 6 eggs
    Heavy Cream/ Coffee

Lunch
    Salmon - sashimi

Snack
    Heavy cream/ Coffee

Dinner
    Any cut grass-fed beef

The goal is no real body weight change, I'm only after the fat on my belly. So I want to stay around the 235 to 245 range.

Wish me luck!
    Oh yeah training

Gironda style training

Two session per day
    Mon/Wed - upper body - Chest, Back, Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps
    Tues - Lower body - Quads, Hamstrings, Calves
    My Get back into shape! Cut for 29. workout log / journal -http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160856081&p=1221916071

druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) druluv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    konradac - I gotta find that link to Weston Price article on good fats.

Day one on the Low Insulin Cut Diet (The Fat Boy Way Of Getting Ripped) - 252lbs/ caliper 18mm/ Goal: 16mm

Day one went pretty well. In the morning, I wasn't hungry so I just had some heavy cream with my coffee. I started upper body training a couple hrs after that; Training session went well too.

12PM - Training was:
    Wide Grip Bench press - 8 X 8
    Pull ups
    Delt Raise
    Bicep curls
    tricep pull downs

After training, I skipped my protein shake and had lunch. Lunch was some 18pcs - sashimi (Salmon & Tuna). I love the clean taste of fresh fish.

mid after-noon snack was some heavy cream & coffee

My second training session:
    Wide Grip Bench press - 8 X 8
    Pull ups
    Delt Raise
    Bicep curls
    tricep pull downs

After this I had dinner:
    3/4 - 1lb of grass fed steak/ wild shrimp cooked in butter and curry powder.

For the Insulin diet, going longer without food is important. The longer you are able to go without food, makes it easier for insulin levels to drop, so that more fat can be release from the fat cells. Going zero carb lessens the conversion of fatty acids to triglycerides and keeps fatty acids in its simplest form; the body needs glucose to create triglycerides. The body actually burns fatty acids for energy, and it needs to break down triglycerides to do this. Since, triglycerides are too big to pass from fat cells to blood stream, the body breaks down triglycerides into fatty acids, then the fatty acids get deposited into the bloodstream. Keeping carbs out of the equation should keep broken down fatty acids in its simplest form, and unused fatty acids should be stored as fatty acids because no glucose is available to build it back to a triglyceride

phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Dru, glad to see you are back. Your cutting plan seems intense.

I agree that the longer you go without eating, the better. From time to time, but not always as you don't want to stop the metabolism altogether.

This week, I had a big meal Sunday night. I stopped eating around 8:30 pm on Sunday night. I did not eat or consume any calories whatsoever on Monday. The only things I took into my body were green tea and water. My next meal was Tuesday morning for breakfast... I had four fried eggs and some sausage. I never really got that hungry, despite not eating for 35 hours. It isn't hard, and I really do think it is good for you every once in a while to do an extended fast.

Anyway, welcome back. Best of luck on your new hardcore cut.

-PP

Thanks for the shout out PP, I hear you on metabolism thing

Day two on the Low Insulin Cut Diet (The Fat Boy Way Of Getting Ripped) - 249lbs/ caliper 18mm/ Next Goal: 16mm

The 3 lbs loss is mostly water from the weeken carb up.

Day 2 was leg day, leg day always suck. But I got through it. Surprisingly enough energy levels were pretty good, even after two sessions today

Meal 1
    Again I wasn't hungry so I just had some heavy cream/ coffee.

Meal 2
    Buffalo chicken wings -

Meal 3
    At whole foods I found some grass fed cow's butter so I made a curry/ butter sauce with shrimp
    I also had pan seared sea bass cooked it the same butter and olive oil.

Hey Dru, quickie... does Whole Paycheck..sorry, Whole Foods, actually have grass-fed beef? I can't tell when I am there and can't figure it out...

Thanks.

-PP

Nice articles on Oils & Fats: http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/index.html

PP: Whole paycheck indeed. Lucky for me, The whole foods in NY has grass fed beef in limited cuts. Organic or grass finished beef is also a good choice. I don't get to eat it everyday, but I try and get as much as I can. You can also order it online. If you order it online, you have more choices. You can get pastured raise chicken, pigs, or lamb.

Day 3 on the Low Insulin Cut Diet (The Fat Boy Way Of Getting Ripped) - 248lbs/ caliper 18mm/ Next Goal: 16mm

Notes:
    Calipers suck! This morning I can clearly see my stomach is responding to the low insulin cut diet, but the calipers are giving the same reading.

I messed up today by drinking diet soda with two meals, I also had cheese with my prime rib slices. I was weak and I need to do better the next day. When cutting down from a fat boy's body, we need to be more strict than people who are slightly over weight. We messed up our body with the over consumption of sugar & starchy carbohydrates, and now our pancreas is weak. Every obese person has to contend with this problem.

With the low insulin cut diet I haven't decided about the carb up as of yet, but I'm still doing more research on insulin and how muscles use fat for energy, so there is more to come.

With my workouts, the focus is not really on muscle growth during the cut phase; even though there will be growth. The focus of the workouts is to deplete muscles and drop blood sugar levels in the blood stream; you can see how 2 session of Gironda 8 X 8 can help. With the depletion of muscle glycogen and drop of blood sugar, my research has lead me to believe that the pancreas secrete a hormone called glucagon, Glucagon works opposite of insulin and actually breaks down fat to make glycogen. Glucagon is another hormone that needs a low insulin environment to do its job.

Day 3 was upper body work out. Good energy levels, I only did one session today.

Meal 1
    Again I wasn't hungry so I just had some heavy cream/ coffee.

Meal 2
    prime rib slices/ cheese

snack - heavy cream/ coffee

Meal 3
    4 Scramble eggs/ heavy cream cook with 1/2 stick of butter.
    3/4 lbs of hanger cut beef - beef soak coated with safflower oil and celtic sea salt.

Sleep - 9hrs of deep sleep! I basically blinked and it was morning

Week in review:

Friday 4/18 - 246lbs
    Friday 4/25 - 242lbs

So I got a 4lb loss for the week, all I did was cut out the unnecessary carbs from salads, veggies, cheeses, and sauces. I knew most of this came from body fat, because I see belly is slimming down. Cutting out these carbs made it easier to eat less while being satisfied with three meals a day. Even though I was already eating low carb, I still needed to drop even trace carbs to drop more body fat. Whats even cool about this, is that I didn't do any cardio for the week, I may needed it as my journey comes to a end, but if I'm losing weight with out I won't use it.

The Low Insulin diet carb up is where the problems lie. Which is the best way to carb up when the whole point of the diet is to keep insulin levels low. Keeping insulin levels low, makes it easier for fat cells to release fatty acids back into the blood stream. I'm actually take this point of view from a person who fatten easily. This type of person doesn't want to put any strain on the pancreas during the carb up. I guess the best way would be a mod fat/ high carb meal, then right back to low insulin world. The fat will slow digestion of the high carb meal, thus scaling back the amount of insulin needed to clear the bloodstream of glucose

Week 2 Low Insulin Diet - Weekly Goal

I reach my first goal with the calipers of 16mm.
    My after carb up wieght 245lbs, my last after carb up weight was 252. So I'm seeing a downward trend.

This weeks goal is to reach 14mm on stomach area, a good weight loss goal would be 240lbs.

I'm going with the same strategy of last week. I going to try and keep insulin levels as low as possible, and deplete muscles through my weight lifting.

Week 2 - Day 8

Pretty weird morning. I woke up and my weight went up 246lbs to 248lbs. A 2 pound gain! Even though I ate less than 3 thousand calories, and ingested less than 10g of carbs for the day. Weird?

Keto the perfect way to caulk?

I feel that fat loss and muscle building are two independent processes that can indirectly work together. In order to gain muscle there has to be a surplus of energy. In keto world, this surplus of energy can be supplied by the fat cells. If we keep insulin levels low, fatty acids from fat cells can freely flow out of fat cells and be used for muscle building when combined from the protein we ingest. Pretty cool! Dieting and gaining muscle at the same time.

Week 2 - 246lbs Low Insulin Diet

Looks like I won't hit my goals this week. I will probably lose 2lbs by tomorrow but that will still have me plus +2lbs; my goal this week was to hit 240lbs. Some weeks are just slower than others despite hitting the gym hard and exciting the diet to a cue. I am also note doing well in measuring with the calipers, it seems that I can't find the same spot to measure, this can cause bad test results.

Work outs this week were strong, most notable were increase in weight on hack squats, increase in bicep curls, increase in shoulder flyes, and stronger on pull ups. I also good got good rest mon-wed, I slept for +8 hrs for these days.

Its almost like you reach a point where you don't know whats happening. Keto recomposition is so gradually that its hard to pick up on subtle changes that the body is going through. This can be frustrating, because you want to be able to track some of these changes, but calipers and scales can be inaccurate.

This weeks mess ups
    1) Some diet sodas with meals
    2) Swiss Cheese with some meals

One of the problems I'm having with this diet is that I'm still gaining muscle. I also didn't gain any fat because I still wear 34" jeans even though I gained 10lbs since December. Luckily muscle is pretty dense, so it doesn't take up as much space as fat. However, the question is how to switch the diet from maximum muscle building to maximum fat loss

Something to think about, Fat is burnt as droplets of fat, how many droplets make a pound? How many droplets can fat cells release in a day? With this diet it may be easier to built 1 lb of muscle than lose one lb of fat. If you are weight training your calories needs are actually higher than the calories you burn during a workout. I need to do some more thinking on this, will get back to this.

Good Read
    http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=8&gl=us

There may be evidense that Keto may be superior to bulking than a high carb/ high insulin approach.

Muscle Glycogen and Gene Expression
    This was on my desk and I didn’t get to it during my blitz. I have mentioned gene expression research and pointed out that some kind of local and broader signaling is telling the muscle genes what to do — how much to grow and what kind of fibers to make.

As I previously reported we know that a low muscle glycogen state signals muscle growth. So, low muscle glycogen promotes muscle growth, completely contrary to conventional thinking.
    An acid environment in the muscle signals the production of FT muscle fibers. An oxygen laden environment signals ST genes. Anaerobic work produces lactic acid which is the gene signal.
    The FT fibers are voracious fat burners, a little known secret that is still being unraveled. Perhaps fat fuels the restoration of depleted glycogen and phosphates in FT fibers. ST fibers use fat directly, FT seem to use it indirectly in some obscure way. I have posts on this too.
    Which brings us to the research I had intended to mention in the blitz. There are genes in the muscle called atrogenes that produce muscle atrophy. Their expression is enhanced by high muscle glycogen. Low glycogen down regulates their expression. In short, high glycogen promotes muscle atrophy or wasting away.

A hard work out levels this difference, but as the muscle recooperates it will go to a low glycogen state for a period of time. During this recovery state atrogenes are turned down.

Thus, a low glycogen state is anabolic in at least two respects: atrogenes are turned down and growth promoting genes are turned up. Other changes are induced as well by low carb diets. Genes that encode for glucose utilization (GLUT 4 and glycogenin among other factors) are turned down and those that promote fat burning are turned up. I think you can see why I am not in a hurry to replenish muscle glycogen after a work out. Or to ingest simple carbs. These factors explain why SuperMike continued to grow muscle even while fasting.

Week 2 - 243lbs Low Insulin Diet

I didn't hit my goal weight and caliper skin fold this week. As you can see, we made run of it with only a +1 lbs gain. I have been doing my research, and I have flirting with the idea of going strict carnivore for a little while. This was based on my research on how fat cells work, and how the body burns triglycerides.

Now I stated this before, fat cells are actually primary players in energy management for the body. In order for the body to tap fat cells, insulin levels have to drop, when insulin levels drop stored fat gets released into the blood stream for energy. So the body cannot tap the fat cells in a energy deficit if insulin levels are high. A skinny fat bodybuilder is prime example of this problem. This sucks because eating at a deficit doesn't guarantee fat loss; weight loss yes, but not fat loss. Since energy deficit is not the primary motivator in fat loss, what we really need is the fat cells to release release energy despite surplus or deficit in dietary calories. The unconditional release of fat from fat cells why people can eat less on high fat/ low carb diets. Its the fat being release that controls amount of food we need to eat everyday. We basically just chip in whats needed for the day because the body never wants to operate in a deficit.

Now the release of fat doesn't mean that its burnt for energy, however, it gives it a chance to be burnt for energy. When fat is released from fat cells its broken down from a triglyceride to fatty acids. So its really fatty acids that gets used for energy. When insulin levels drop, triglycerides get broken down and the fatty acids enter the blood stream. Unfortunately some of the fatty acids don't get used for energy, so it re-enters the fat cells and gets converted back to a triglyceride, however, the fatty acids that don't get converted to a triglyceride quickly reenters the blood stream. The reformation of the triglyceride is where the problem lies, because it takes time to reform and break down a triglyceride. So we have to find ways to limited the amount of fatty acids being reformed back to triglycerides.

I have been lead to believe that carb ups are needed, but the more I looking into, I found that carb ups are not needed. Now carb ups do as advertise, but I'm starting to learn about alternate ways of refilling muscle stores. From my own experience, it seems like the longer you say on keto the better your body holds onto glycogen, and may actually make muscle use of fat for energy more efficient in order to spare muscle glycogen. Everything is switched now, since fat is readily available, and carbs are not, the body goes out of it way to hold to sugar. This doesn't sound crazy, because restricting fat causes the body to hold on to fat; so there is a good chance that the reverse may be true.

Earlier this week I was complaining about the weight gain, but it seems like I was just holding on to my muscle glycogen 3 days more than when I started this diet. This may be a breaking point for me, my body is probably ready to go straight carnivore to lose the last 20lbs.

Now going carnivore for the last 20lbs may seem extreme, but the more I research, I keep coming up with the same conclusion, that carnivore is probably our natural diet.

Week 3 Low Insulin diet - 243 - 16mm caliper - goal 240lbs - 14mm

With the caliper, I think the water gain from carb loads can influence the caliper reading. Like I said before, I'm holding on to glycogen much longer than before, my muscles still feel full even after 6 sessions of 8X8 training. So I feel I'm adapting very well to keto style eating.

I'm now starting to move more to a carnivore style of eating. This weekend I had one carb meal, and I went carnivore the rest. Hopefully this weekend I can go with no carbs. The goal here is to reduce triglycerides, I want to reduce the chance of fatty acids getting bonded as a triglyceride. See triglycerides need to get broken down before it can pass through the fat cell wall. Through out the day fatty acids are constantly entering and exiting the fat cell. As they enter the fat cell, some get reform back into a triglyceride, but this is based on how much available sugar is there to reform the triglyceride. The less amount of available sugar, the less amount of triglyceride get formed, the more fatty acids stay as fatty acids, thus lessen the time for fat to be burned. The cool part is that the fatty acids that don't get reform, quickly enter the blood stream skipping the reformation part.

This week is the same set up.

breakfast
    Eggs/ heavy cream

Lunch
    Meat

Snack
    Heavy cream/ smoked salmon

Dinner
    Meat

Work out
    Mon - Wed 2 seesions a day

Goal
    Keep muscles depleted

Thusdays - Sunday - rest use fat to refill muscle stores.

Nothing to really report today. I did notice it may take a little time to get adjusted to the new diet protocol. It seems like my body is going through another adjustment with the closest to zero carb count. I was a little foggy, but that was to be expected. With close to zero carbs coming in, the body is fully responsible to break down fat to raise blood sugar. I was still able to get my 2 sessions in though. What I'm coming to realize about zero carb diets is how subtle the changes are. Even though the scale and calipers don't move much, the mirror is telling a different story. I feel like I'm totally dialed in now.

What I did notice about the scale is that Monday, my weight was 243lbs. On Tuesday, my weight is 245lbs. That's a 2lbs gain in 24hrs. Now everyone knows that keto is a water shedding diet. How did I manage to gain 2lbs in 24hrs? Like I have been saying, the body can break down body fat to make sugar to also restore muscle glycogen. Now this process is not as quick as a carb load, but I would take a slow muscle fill and lose additional fat, rather than take a quick carb up to risk laying more fat down.

Dru, thought you would appreciate this post from one of my favorite blogs... keep in mind he is using a lot of sarcasm in the post...

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...diazoxide.html

Thanks PP for the blog, This one is added; what a good site! I'm not the only crazy one. We should have a special section for insulin research.

I don't think the majority of the people want to know that insulin is the major reason why people can't lose weight or why they gain weight. Calorie In/ Calorie Out is so much easier for them to understand.

OK back down to 243, It will be hard but I may make it to 240lb by the end of the week. I'm only training Mon to Wed and I rest until next Mon. I usually train twice a day so rest is very important to my program. Most of the weight loss comes during the rest part of the week, so I give rest the same level of commitment as my diet.

Week 4 Low Insulin Diet - 246 - 16mm - Goal 240lbs/ 14mm

Wow week 4 already, fat loss has been slow but steady, when I just started a 5lbs loss was expected, but now I can only use the caliper or mirror to gauge weight loss. I have been fluctuating from 243 - 246lb, but I finally see that the caliper gave me 3 readings of 14mm, which would complete this goal; but I need more straight reading of 14mm to verify. Notice I don't place a value to measurement, I just need to know if I lost 2mm, which corresponds to 1-2lbs loss. From the mirror, I can really see that the fat loss is coming from the love handles and belly now. With that said I have to stick with the plan of Very Low Carbohydrates even become more strict if possible.

From my research, its becoming clear that low calories has to play a part in getting the stomach fat off, but the problem is you can't just drop calories, you have to make the body want to reduce calories. Crazy concept, right.

Well we know that if we reduce carbohydrates, we reduce blood sugar , we reduce blood sugar we reduce insulin, we reduce insulin fat cells can release stored fatty acids into the blood stream, and hopefully get burned as energy. More fatty acids being release & circulating, decreases hunger.

We also know that if we reduce carbohydrates, we reduce triglycerides, we reduce triglycerides we have more fatty acids available, more fatty acids available the more fatty acids can quickly enter and exit fat cells without being changed back into triglycerides . Thus making fat loss quicker.

With these two models, hunger & appetite is regulated because we have more fatty acids in the bloodstream, but training and cardio stimulates hunger & appetite causing us to eat more. My resting basel metabolism is about 2500k at 243lbs. I noticed that on my rest days, I automatically eat way less than on training days. So less training may decrease appetite, I can create a larger deficit by just training less, and eating less, than training more and trying to eat less. Most of my weight loss now comes from my rest days anyway, I wonder if I cut down on training, can I burn more body fat?

Lets say two honest work outs a week.

This could be an interesting concept, resting to lose weight lol

Dangers of excess insulin - Insulin Resistance

Good Article - Why Low Carb is the Best Way To Live!!! Enjoy

Dangers of excess insulin - Insulin Resistance

Insulin Resistance... knowing you have it may help how you deal with many common health conditions
    Insulin, produced and released into the blood by the pancreas, is a master hormone of metabolism. It affects virtually every cell in the body. It regulates blood sugar, controls the storage of fat, helps direct the functions of amino acids, fatty acids, and carbohydrates, and it regulates the liver?s synthesis of cholesterol. It also functions as a growth hormone, affects appetite control, kidney function and much more. Without it you would die in a matter of days. But insulin can be a double edged sword... too much of it, on a consistent basis, creates a whole other set of serious problems; by raising blood pressure and cholesterol levels, storing food as fat instead of using it for fuel, causing the kidney?s to retain excess fluid, damaging arteries, elevating triglycerides, and changing needed protein and sugar into fat. .....
    Read More at
    http://www.vitalearth.org/Insulin_Resistance.htm

Week 5 Low Insulin Diet - 250 - 14mm - Goal 240lbs/ 12mm

Its Week 5 baby,
    I had one of the most disrespectful carb ups ever. A McDonalds binge fest , didn't have any sugar soda though. If you want to feel the blood surge through your veins McDonalds will not disappoint. Whats amazing is how fast my body heated up to deal with the surge of calories. Im sweating while eating food! Whats even more amazing, is how easy it easy to consume calories on the carb load. I can quadruple calories on one seating than one day on keto; unbelievable! Whats more a plus is that now when I push insulin, I can still go many hours with out eating, I could never do this last year, so I know that Im getting a better response to carbs.

Well I finally hit 14mm on my caliper, that 2mm was a tough on so I know to hit 12mm will even be harder. I can't get the weight down to 240lbs but a caliper loss is always sweet. . Nothing to really change, same diet protocol of reducing my carbs. A bulk of my carbs come in the morning with my half-half and eggs, and ten I go with just meat dishes for the rest.

With training I'm trying to control appetite, so I'm lowering the intensity on training. Strange, since I lowered my intensity with training, I have gotten stronger with each work out. Doesn't make sense, you think training harder make you stronger, but for me the reverse is true. As long as I hit the gym weekly, I'm good, but I don't have to go crazy with all kinds of exotic moves.

Week 5 Low Insulin Diet - 245 - 14mm - Goal 240lbs/ 12mm

5lbs lost from the carb load, I may have lost some fat from that 5lbs. I purposely over ate on the carb load, then went keto on Mon. Just from removing the carbs from my meals, I probably cut approx 3000k calories easy, with no hunger pangs. The ability to up calories on carbs, then remove carbs to cut calories and control hunger is the hallmark of keto. With carbs, I found that starches work best on the carb load if you choose to do them. Even though sugar has a lower glycemic index than white bread, the body still has to break down the long chain of sugar from starches, while the glucose part of sugar quickly impacts blood sugar. We want to use insulin, but we don't want a huge insulin output. The body doesn't need huge amounts of insulin for it to work.

Today is an off day, my lowered training is really keeping my hunger under-control. I'm able to drop my overall calories for the day without any effort. However, I'm still get a good work out in, right now I'm flirting with 2 sessions a week. But the lower training sessions, should keep my body rested (Hormonal Systems), and I believe that a rested body burns more body fat.

Week 5 Low Insulin Diet - 247lbs - 14mm - Goal 240lbs/ 12mm

I thought I was going to make a play on 240lbs this week, but I actually went up 2lbs to get to 247lbs. No worries though, I will try again next week.

For kicks I, I was curious to know how much I'm eating. You won't believe this, I'm eating approx 5000k on my keto days. I thought I was around 3000k, but fitday made my internal calorie counter look bad.

Now this is a lot of calories a day, but I still lost 4mm in the last 5 weeks. Can this be the ultimate chulk? I was wondering why I was getting stronger with my workouts.

I did notice that carbs keeping sneaking in. If I'm diligent with my meals I can keep carbs below 10- 15g, but I see I creped up to 50g per day. My main carbs come from half-n-half, I drink over 20oz of this a day. I also love avocados and blue cheese dressing, and I get some via eggs and cheese. Carb creep can happen, but I'm happy to see that I can still lose weight at high carb counts.

I'm not going to change my calorie count, that is what my body needs, so I trust my body on calories. My job is to keep as much carbs out of the system. Me & my body is a team.

Week 5 Low Insulin Diet - 247lbs - 14mm - Goal 240lbs/ 12mm

I ended the week at 247lbs, no movement on the calipers this week. So a 2lb increase with no caliper movement. When people say you can't lean bulk on this diet, they are wrong. This diet will make you muscular without much effort. I think people train too hard, and stress their body out.

The more time I think about it, the more I understand that muscle growth and fat loss are more dependant on the hormones than with anything else. The more I rest between work outs, is the stronger and leaner I get.

Case in point, at the end of the year I got down to 236lbs on low keto calories and two sessions a day for five days a week. Feeling burn out, I took a month off from training but still keep my keto diet. After the time off, I started training less and eating more keto calories, and one day for carbs. Within 3-4 months I gained 11lbs, but lost a couple pant sizes. I'm so dialed in the diet, that now I'm judging fatloss with my calipers, because this is the only way to know if your making progress. Since using my calipers everyday, I see that I'm losing 1 pound a fat week, while my body weight stays stable with minor increases.

1 pound doesn't sound like a lot, but has any one seen that model of what five pounds of fat looks like?

Week 6 Low Insulin Diet - 247lbs - 14mm - Goal 240lbs/ 12mm

I was going over again Good Calories Bad Calories, one sentence stoke my interest. This doctor found that his patients loss more fat will in bed. This is just some crazy stuff, which person with common sense would believe this. A year ago I would just skip over this nonsense, but since being on keto, I started to notice that the opposite is true when your trying to lose fat. I wouldn't be surprise if less exercise would make fat loss easier. I know your eyes are rolling behind your head, but aren't you eating fat to lose fat? Now does that make sense?

From my own experience, I noticed that my calorie consumption and hunger cues is in direct relation with my training. When I'm training a can easily eat 4500 - 5000 plus calories, just to be satisfied. Now I haven't trained since last week Tuesday, and my calorie consumption and hunger has dropped over 3000 calories; this 3000k drop has me under my resting metabolic rate. To the calorie in/ out crowd I'm eating under maintenance. When I'm training, I'm way over maintenance, even if you inculde my training session to the mix.

So when I'm not training I eat under maintenance aprox. 500 - 750 calories, when I'm training I'm over my maintenance by 2000k plus calories.
    So it seems that training makes you eat more.

So the question would be, does a resting body burn more fat?