Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    It should be about health phabphour20's Avatar
    phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Druluv75 View Post
    Well today I lost .5lbs today, I need 1lb more to bring my total weight loss to 60lbs. One thing I noticed with my low carb not no carb weekends, is that I'm losing the same amount of weight scale wise as if I totally carb up. What I mean is, When I totally carb up, I would gain about 8lbs - 10lbs of body weight, after keto-day 1, I would lose the same 3lbs, and I would lose the rest of the 8lbs by Friday, sometimes I would come in lower than last week, and sometimes I would not. However, going low carb over the weekend kept my weight stable, and now I'm 10lbs lighter. Now I don't know how fatten is the CKD version of the carb up, but I do know that I have to keep it low carb in order to keep the loses coming. This realization is pretty upsetting to me, I have been on this new lifestyle for over 30 weeks, and if I had done the weekend as low carb, I would of reached my goals quicker. I won't cry over spill milk, but I needed to get this of my chest.

What I'm learning since grasping the way the body works, is that the obese need a different way to get results. I lot of these diets don't really address the needs of over-weight reducer.
    I agree with you. I think someone who is naturally lean, or has worked to get themselves there, can do a big carbup on the weekend. I don't think obese or easy gainers should.

I am super-sensitive to carbs and since I started doing a full day carbup, my progress has all but stopped. I think they may be essential for someone with little fat as it is as they have less stored energy to mobilize for protein synthesis and need to ingest some glucose.

For fat people, the carbup isn't really necessary. For me anyway, one cheat meal seems to be enough, both in terms of muscular growth and in terms of psychological release. Some day I hope to not even worry about the psychological part, but I have a terrible history of doing well for a little while and then binging because I have deprived myself so long.

I have also found that once I am fat adapted, this one big dirty cheat meal doesn't knock me out of ketosis and sometimes I actually weigh less the next morning. So my plan is to stop setting myself back with big carbups.

I think, like you said, if I had stuck to a keto diet without the carbups, I would be much further along than I am. Maybe Atkins was right. You don't ever really need carbs. Live and learn, right Dru?
    Last edited by phabphour20; 10-25-2007 at 12:58 PM.
    I just want to be healthy.

Carbsthe Fat Man's Poison Druluv75's Avatar
    Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mo_ria View Post
    Oh god, my fat cells are probably screaming to be fed! That is such a scary thought. I think they are in the buffet line at the Bellagio as we speak...
    Congratulations on your losses and your inspiring progress!!
    I am laughing at the council of wheat foods being mad about Gary T's book...you could never eat wheat or grain anything again and be perfectly fine. The brainwashing of the American public as far as food goes is totally crazy...I see all aspects of it at my job. *Shiver*
    Grain companies and HFCS people are shaking in there boots right now, since Gary grab all of the relevant studies linking Cancer, Obesity, and Diabetes to hyperinsulin secretion, and put in one book! Even Andrew Weil had to bow down to how well this book was researched. Andrew's problem is he doesn't like saturated fat, but to have Andrew Weil agree with most of the stuff in the book is well worth it. So Gary is starting to turn heads.

I think grain, sugar, juice companies are going to start a stronger campaign on a Calorie is a Calorie or maybe the moderation is key statement that's based on no science. I was really impress on how Gary showed the research on how much of a scam it is to believe that calorie is a calorie foolishness. The evidence is mounting, so there are going to be some problems. With obesity on the rise all over world, even in countries with no McDonalds or Xbox 3, and with low fat starvation diets not working, the only cure will be a pill that will lower insulin secretion or clear it out of the blood stream after a meal has been digested. Telling people not to eat grain, is like telling a crack head to stop taking crack.
    "Forget man's so-called logic and find your own metabolic needs." - Vince Gironda

phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You'd think all the studies that feed people (or lots and lots of mice) the exact same calories, but different macro ratios would solve the question of "a calorie is a calorie."

Consistently (like 99% of the time), the high-fat, low-carbphydrate diet produces greater fat (not just weight) loss on the same calories as a high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet.

How can people reconcile this? The denial of the evidence in this case, more than any other on this subject, is absolutely stunning.

-PP

Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Druluv75 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The fact that carbohydrates may have a unique ability to fatten some people totally escapes people's minds. Like people who are allergic reaction to shellfish or peanuts, these people have a metabolic problem eating these foods. So, Why can't people be allergic to carbohydrates in the same way? Why is so hard to believe that carbohydrates may cause some people to fatten very easy despite calories ingested? Ask cattle ranchers, how they get their cattle so fat for prime cuts of beef, and they will tell you, all you have to do is feed them process grain.

What's even startling, no one can really prove that carbohydrates are needed. We can prove that we need essential amino acids, we can prove that we need essential fatty acids, but there is no essential glucose, and its very hard to prove the need for it.

To make matter worse is, the addictive power of carbohydrates is for real. During the keto phase, the drive to change up protein sources is always present, however, I used to eat the same bagel or pasta every day and not get bored. Maybe the drive to change protein and sources is innate because different protein sources provide different nourishment. For example sometimes I feel for chicken, sometimes for steak, and sometimes for fish or shellfish. This drive make sure we get a full assortment of aminos and different kinds of fats. My weekly training keeps my taste for steak high, but on rest days I prefer other types of meat.

Well any ways, I reached another milestone, I have officially lost 60lbs of body weight, with a 1.5lb loss today. When I look down at the scale, I was amazed, that I did it. However, I still have 15lbs to go, so the journey continues. I had reached the fork in the road, and had to decide whether or not to take the path less taken, but with science and my experience I made the right choice, and was able to reap the benefits even though I took the harder path.

Work outs are getting more intense, so maybe I'm dailing into some more of my fat reserves, this loss has me so amp up, I might go no carb over the weekend.

This lead me into thinking that the diet should match way your body works and not the other way around. A clear understanding of how hormonal systems work, is the real key in losing excess bodyweight. The weight of evidence points to the fact that Insulin is the only fatten hormone the body produces, and only through the metabolization of glucose can fat accumulate. How much and how long insulin stays in your blood stream is rate of which fat will accumulate.This is a fact that scientists discovered in the early sixties. Why the public in 2007 don't know this, I don't know why.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how I got the 3lbs loss on Monday, and the other days .5 to 1.5 days. I have to think about some more before I report it though. I'm experimenting with some of my supplement stacks to see which mix is most potent.

Happy Carb Up Every One!!!!!
    "Forget man's so-called logic and find your own metabolic needs." - Vince Gironda

Excellent weekend, I keep my carbs below 50grams, and I'm up 2lbs on Monday. I don't know the comp of the 2lbs, but I highly doubt that it could be bodyfat. If the 2lbs is water, that would be perfect because I was able to at least store some glycogen into the muscles. Not as much if I had a massive carb load, but good enough to get me through the week, plus I have been reading that partially depleted muscles use more fat to fuel work outs.

For the weekend I switched from a eat until satisfied to eat till stuff. I hope this will initiate some growth by stimulating IGF-1 and Growth Hormones, I also get to readjust my metabolism upwards to make fat loss easier during the week, together these hormones can pack on muscle and burn additional fat during the weekend. This will never beat the stuffing power of Insulin, and the sweet taste of mcdonald's frys, but its good enough for me.

This morning I checked my waist, I usually go around my navel, and I found that my love handles dropped down and my waist measurement went down a inch to 38" around the navel. I'm able to see some upper abs trying to peak through the fatty layer, but nothing to write home about, but seeing real changes is really uplifting right now.

Mondays workout was really good, Gained on all lifts, and I even sneaked in a little double-set to help bring out the delt tie-in. I'm working on a keto preworkout stack, and this stack gave me mad energy today, and I need to see if it produces weight loss on the scale though. Will report, if it works!

Phenix Soul is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phenix Soul is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phenix Soul is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phenix Soul is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phenix Soul is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phenix Soul is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phenix Soul is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phenix Soul is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phenix Soul is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phenix Soul is on a distinguished road. (+10) Phenix Soul is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    sweet man. keep up with the flow.
    Slowly I sink into the beginning. Death is the beginning. I dream. I rise. I see the flames in my eyes and mind. The warmth is enfolded around me. Fire is within me. I rise. My birth, rebirth. My end. Blood as death and beginning. Fire is life and ending.

Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nice job!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on all of your progress...
    "...regret is an awful thing--a poisonous luxury. The less you have of it, the better."---Henry Rollins

Registered User gountilfailure0's Avatar
    gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    good luck losing the weight is the easy part keeping it off is where it counts im just starting a keto diet today im curious u keep ur carbs 30 grams under or 50 ? i will put this diet to the test as far as for losing the few lbs of fat i need to get off me id never use this kind of diet for a bulking phase

Originally Posted by gountilfailure0 View Post
    good luck losing the weight is the easy part keeping it off is where it counts im just starting a keto diet today im curious u keep ur carbs 30 grams under or 50 ? i will put this diet to the test as far as for losing the few lbs of fat i need to get off me id never use this kind of diet for a bulking phase
    Keeping the weight off is pretty easy as well, as long as I don't eat carbs, I will not gain the weight back. You need the glucose from carbs in order to accumulate fat. With my weight loss, I can see how easy it is to fatten on carbohydrates, I would be a fool to return to carbohydrates, and deserve to fatten again, if I do return.

Losing fat is not rocket science, once you understand that insulin is the gatekeeper of fat. Control insulin, and fat melts off the frame without much effort. Judging by the body's hormones, we have more fat liberating hormones than storage hormones; it would be safe to say it is easier to lose weight than to actually gain it; however, insulin is one bad ass storage hormone.

I keep my carb levels very low, if I could get it to zero I would, but I love eggs & heavy cream , and this is where most of my carbs come from. Once I get to the weight I want, I'll add veggies back to level my weight off.

Good Luck with keto, but the real secret behind fat loss is controlling your Insulin, Keeping insulin low will allow fat cells to release fatty acids in to the blood stream for energy, the releasing of fatty acids into the blood stream will blunt appetite because the body has a readily available source of energy flowing. This why on the low carb phase, people find it hard to eat a whole bunch food, and not because protein and fat is more filling.

Some of us need to really watch our carb loads, the same macro nutrient ratio for carb loads is the same ratio Sumo wrestlers use to fatten.

gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    u got it wrong carbs dont make u fat carbs provide u with the strongest hormone for muscle growth ..insulin.. its unused energy(calories) which make u fat and no keeping weight off isnt as easy as losing it i have lost over 200 lbs so i can tell u dont get the idea that carbs will make u fat thats not true at all and good luck with achieving ur goals

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Hey Dru-

What do you have to say about the issue of potentially falling T3 levels during an extended no/low-carb period. Is this not a concern for you?

Good luck and keep up the great progress!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

Insulin is not the strongest hormone for muscle growth, Growth Hormone & Testosterone is more important to muscle building.

High insulin levels and glucose causes fat accumulation in fat cells. The body can't not produce fat without dietary glucose. So over-eating is not the cause of fat accumulation, it an effect of hyper insulin production. Studies already prove that fat can accumulate in calorie deficits, because the small amount of carbohydrates calories are converted straight to fat cells. Fat people over-eat, because fat is trap in fat cells and can not be released because of insulin. Insulin clears the blood stream of circulating fatty acids, in the anticipation of glucose.

If the dietary glucose is burned off and Insulin levels are still high, this causes the bloodstream to be devoided of energy. This will result in "internal starvation", cells are not getting energy, even though ample fat is around, but the body can't get to its fat stores because insulin is present. This is important concept to understand, this is why cardio or weightlifting can't do its job unless insulin is low enough for fatty acids to escape the fat cells. This how some obese people get to be skinny fats. Starving cells will breakdown muscle if it can't get to fat stores.

Yep insulin is so powerful that it suppresses all of the fat liberating hormones. Calories have nothing to do with fat loss, fat loss is dependant on how your body uses Insulin. Produce too much and you get fat regardless of how much weight lifting or running you do. Fat loss has more to do with your hormonal environment, and less to do with calorie and energy deficits. Control Insulin and you'll eat less because more fatty acids can leave the fat cells, this why low carb diets curb hunger. You can lose weight with high insulin levels, but its not fat. You'll get smaller but you will still be at the same body fat percentages.

The person who discovered that a calorie of protein is the same as a calorie of fat is the same as a calorie of carbohydrates, also said that: Hormones may play a more important role in the reduction of bodyfat than the calorie itself. Of course the calorie in / out fanatics jump on the first part of the statement, but they ignore the latter statement.

Insulin output varies from person to person, so some can eat whatever they want and lose weight, and some have to watch every carbohydrate gram to lose any weight. So you have to adjust your diet, to the way your Insulin works. So some people just have to cut sugar laden sodas to lose body fat, while others have to eat low amount of carbohydrates to produce any fat loss.

Once we understand and respect the storage power of insulin, fat loss becomes easier and more successful.

Just coming from the gym, and I had a good workout. My prework-out stack seems to working. I'm taking vasocharge, Hot-rox extreme, and sesamin 20-30min before working out. I have been doing this stack for almost 2 weeks, and I'm able lose weight the next day. I lost another pound, so I'm now down to 244. With gym intensity and strength going up and scale weight going down, means good things.

Being a Gironda Student, I know supplements can help get you lean. I even have my Gironda muscle t-shirts that I work out in for inspiration.
    The stack Im using has:
    L-Carnitine
    Caffeine
    yohimbine
    Fat as oil

1). So the stack is suppose to provide energy through fat (Sesamin)
    2). Help liberate more fat from fats cells for energy (Hot Rox Extreme)
    3). Increase Blood Flow (Vasocharge)
    4). Help Burn more fat with L-Carnitine (Vasocharge)

So far I have good results with this stack.

My insulin support stack, is inspired from Atkins
    Chromium Picolinate

Also from research done from PP, PP found a study show how different foods can cause a surge of insulin. Too bad the study didn't use fatty meats or added fats to protein to see how the pancreas reacts to 70F/30P meal. However, they found that lean meats produce the same insulin response as brown rice. Since high insulin prevents the fats from leaving fat cells, lean meats are a no no for fat loss. We need the fats to keep our insulin response low due to protein.

So changes need to be made to my program, I have been tempted to lowering the fat to see if more fat will be lose, but due to the insulin index of lean meats, this would of been a mistake. Most low carb dieters fail because of this. Remember, Fat can't escape fat cells when insulin floating around.

So the thing I need to do is pack my protein requirements for the Morning & Afternoon meal, then my last meal before bed will be low protein/ high fat meal. Or eat my High protein/ High Fat meal earlier, then retire with a heavy cream dessert. So we should have the most protein for the morning meal, then bring it down as the day progress, but we still need to keep the fat high. This will lower our insulin by bedtime before the 8hr sleeping fast. Now before bed, if Insulin is low, more growth hormones will be able to do its job. I need to try and see if it works out!!!! Good work with the Insulin Index PP!

If anyone has studies showing how the pancreas react to 70F/30P meal, please forward to me.

Originally Posted by RU4A69 View Post
    What do you have to say about the issue of potentially falling T3 levels during an extended no/low-carb period. Is this not a concern for you?

Good luck and keep up the great progress!
    I think low T3 levels are better link to starvation diets, or energy deficits caused by cells not getting enough energy. The body will down grade all metabolic functions when this happens. Low carb diets should be high in fat, and fat provides a lot of energy than high carb diets. I would worry more about high carb, low calorie diets on T3, than low carb / high fat diets.

wow im impressed insulin is the strongest anabolic hormone u have if ur body has calories it doesnt use for recovery or anything else it turns to bodyfat u have alot to learn ask anyone who has been lifting for along time insulin is the most anabolic hormone we have

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gountilfailure0 View Post
    wow im impressed insulin is the strongest anabolic hormone u have if ur body has calories it doesnt use for recovery or anything else it turns to bodyfat u have alot to learn ask anyone who has been lifting for along time insulin is the most anabolic hormone we have
    WOMEN have insulin too, plenty of it. A 150lb squat is "outstanding" for a woman. I think you're underrating the power of testosterone.

Why is it nearly impossible to put a SIGNIFICANT amount of muscle on a woman?

Well this morning was a good morning, I lost 2lbs, and I'm down an inch on my waist. I'm really starting to dial-in the diet now, and it couldn't come at a best time. My goal weight is 230lbs, and now I'm 12lbs away. PP's' link on the insulin index was very important, because it shows that lean meats causes a large insulin spike. I could never really understand why the fat part of low carb so important, but it all makes sense now. The fat keeps insulin at bay when eating meats.

So the low carber needs to control carbohydrate insulin & Protein Insulin. Of course the carb insulin response is a double whammy, because this is where fat can accumulate.

This weekend I'll try and lose the next 2lbs for a even 65lbs.

Happy Carb up day!

Well this morning was a good morning, I lost 2lbs, and I'm down an inch on my waist. I'm really starting to dial-in the diet now, and it couldn't come at a best time. My goal weight is 230lbs, and now I'm 12lbs away. PP's' link on the insulin index was very important, because it shows that lean meats causes a large insulin spike. I could never really understand why the fat part of low carb so important, but it all makes sense now. The fat keeps insulin at bay when eating meats.

So the low carber needs to control carbohydrate insulin & Protein Insulin. Of course the carb insulin response is a double whammy, because this is where fat can accumulate.

Happy Carb up day!
    Yes, basically, don't eat any meals without fat in them.

CALCULATED DRIVEN MACHINE trueathlete's Avatar
    trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trueathlete is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Happy Carb up day!
    Looks good keep up the good work
    "I am a Driven, Self motivated Calculated Machine"

MusclePharm CEO
    www.musclepharm.com
    Stock Symbol: MSLP

Jglinatsis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jglinatsis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jglinatsis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jglinatsis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jglinatsis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jglinatsis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jglinatsis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jglinatsis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jglinatsis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jglinatsis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jglinatsis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Dru,

For what it's worth, I think your spot on man!!!

It's all about the insulin...The person that learns to regulate their insulin production has this whole fat storage/mobilization thing in the bag.

I just want to thank you for coming here and sharing your personal research with all of us. It has helped me immensely to dial in my own efforts and see real results. Some of the tricks I have learned, like adding heavy cream to my whey shakes to lower the glycemic impact has been just what I needed to overcome my hyperinsulinism. You got a huge rep and pat on the back from me bro...keep telling it on the mountain...some of us are listening and learning!!!

JG

Been gone for awile, missed speaking to my keto friends Got some more info to share, so stay tune!

Been gone for awile, missed speaking to my keto friends Got some more info to share, so stay tune!
    Can't wait!

-PP

Some of the new things I’m experimenting with is a home glucose meter. Fat can only leave fat cells when insulin levels are low, and for the most part reading blood sugar levels is a good way to see if insulin levels are low. I wish they had a insulin meter for home use, because that meter would make dieting even easier. An Insulin meter would automatically stop people from making ketogenic meals into a lowfat/high protein meal when they see their insulin shoot up after a grilled chicken breast dinner.

I have taken a couple of readings and I notice my glucose levels are always on the low-side, even after eating a ketogenic meal, so I prove to myself the ketogenic meals really does keep blood sugar levels low. The most surprising, was when I tested my glucose after a real high carb meal. I had two mcdonalds fish sandwiches, 3 large fries, and 3 cookies. An hour after eating my blood glucose only raised 20 points to just over a hundred, so my response to carbohydrates is getting better. So now I’m able know how much carbs I can handle, when I eat carbs.

The weakness with the glucose meter is that the body, is always trying to keep blood sugar levels stable, however, you need to drop blood sugar levels low in order to get to insulin sensitive fat cells(Abs for men) to give up its fat contents. But since your body is always keeping blood sugar levels stable its hard to know when the blood sugar levels get low. So you really don’t know if blood sugar levels are really dropping low enough to get insulin levels low enough for hard to reach fats to give up it fatty goodness.

With the understanding of how insulin & blood sugar levels can affect fat-loss, it is easier to create a diet around this. The main reason you want to keep dietary carbs low is that you want the body to take care of all the glucose needs. As blood sugar levels and basel insulin levels drop the body will release glucagon, to stabilize blood sugar. So every time your blood sugar drops your blood will mobilize more fatty acids to stabilize blood sugar levels, however, insulin levels need to be low too.

Alpha Cells
    The alpha cells of the islets secrete glucagon, a polypeptide of 29 amino acids.
    Glucagon acts principally on the liver where it stimulates the conversion of
    • glycogen into glucose ("glycogenolysis") and
    • fat and protein into intermediate metabolites that are ultimately converted into glucose ("gluconeogenesis")
    In both cases, the glucose is deposited in the blood.
    Glucagon secretion is
    • stimulated by low levels of glucose in the blood;
    • inhibited by high levels of insulin, and
    • inhibited by amylin.
    The physiological significance of this is that glucagon functions to maintain a steady level of blood sugar level between meals.
    Injections of glucagon are sometimes given to diabetics suffering from an insulin reaction in order to speed the return of normal levels of blood sugar.

Dukus is just really nice. (+1000) Dukus is just really nice. (+1000) Dukus is just really nice. (+1000) Dukus is just really nice. (+1000) Dukus is just really nice. (+1000) Dukus is just really nice. (+1000) Dukus is just really nice. (+1000) Dukus is just really nice. (+1000) Dukus is just really nice. (+1000) Dukus is just really nice. (+1000) Dukus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Awsome log, theres so much information in here I dont have time to read it all! Im thinking about trying keto when i decide to cut as im trying to pack on some muscle over the winter.

Whats up fellow Keto'ers, All is well, I'm basically taking the month off from training. I work out for the whole year rarely missing a schedule work out. For the most part of the year, I trained twice a day for 5 days a week. With that said, I need some rest. Its been a very good year, and my dream of becoming slim has been accomplished, but the journey is not over. Single digit fat% is the real goal.

While taking some time off, I still was able to shed some more weight. I'm down to 236lbs, 1lbs shy of a total of 70lbs loss since I started a Ketogenic lifestyle. I went down from a 44" inch pant waist to 34" pants waist now, I can finally shop in the normal stores now.

Since taking time off, I noticed my appetite drop, and I feel quite stuff with under 2000k per day. I did know if I stop training, I would lose more weight, because training stimulates my appetite. I would be able to eat way less when not training thus creating a higher deficit.

My experience with this raise some questions, for fat burning only, How do I train with out stimulating my hunger?

In order to put a program that only targets fat loss (the last 20lbs) we need to understand some basic rules. Now the general keto program will get you slim, but getting ripped may be a different problem for different bodies types. I totally believe that I got fat by eating too much sugar and process carbs, so when I reduced my carbs the fat left my frame. So if reducing my carbs burn the fat of my body, this would suggest that surplus calories is not my problem, but too much insulin circulating the blood stream and too much insulin production contributed to my fatness.

These observations help design a program that would help me get the last 20lbs off to get to single digit bf%. I already lost 5lbs and have 15lbs to go. I didn't even go to the gym to get the first 5lbs, even though I have been losing weight the whole year. A nice 225lbs is a good goal to set.

Rules to get the last 15lbs:

Keep blood sugar and insulin levels low. We want to get blood sugar as low as posssible, so that Insulin levels remain low. We want these levels to be as low as possible, so that fatty acids can easily escape the fat cells. So the total reduction of carbohydrates are imperative. Keeping carbs to as close as zero will keep the bloodstream flooded with fatty acids. The fatty acids escaping fat cells will automatically reduce appetite. Don't be alarm if you notice that 1500k is a lot of calories when blood sugar and insulin levels are low.

I have more to add, so I will continue later with this.

Thumbs up

Well done Dru

Welcome back Dru. You were missed. Glad to hear you are keeping up the lifestyle.

-PP

floyded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Dru,
    I started keto yesterday in hopes of losing body fat and not muscle, and I find your posts very informative and helpful. Anyways, I have 2 questions for you. I play rugby, train twice a week for 1.5-2 hours per day, with games on Saturdays which last a full 80 minutes. I don't know if I could sustain my energy levels on a keto diet and stay productive in rugby. In my case, would you recommend eating carbs before such strenuous, lengthy activities, or should I simply forego them?

The great thing is the season does not start until January, and I have almost a whole month off from college to relax and acclimatize/familiarize myself with my body and its responses to keto.

Secondly, do you see ANY benefits to carbs? Your self-taught knowledge on hormones is truly inspiring, and only today did I decide to take an endocrinology class here at school because of it.

Originally Posted by floyded View Post
    Hey Dru,
    I started keto yesterday in hopes of losing body fat and not muscle, and I find your posts very informative and helpful. Anyways, I have 2 questions for you. I play rugby, train twice a week for 1.5-2 hours per day, with games on Saturdays which last a full 80 minutes. I don't know if I could sustain my energy levels on a keto diet and stay productive in rugby. In my case, would you recommend eating carbs before such strenuous, lengthy activities, or should I simply forego them?

The great thing is the season does not start until January, and I have almost a whole month off from college to relax and acclimatize/familiarize myself with my body and its responses to keto.

Secondly, do you see ANY benefits to carbs? Your self-taught knowledge on hormones is truly inspiring, and only today did I decide to take an endocrinology class here at school because of it.
    Good question, Making a transition from carbs to fat is a hard thing to do. It takes a while to fully adapt to using fat as fuel. As far as sports go, I don?t have enough information on what to suggest. If it were me, I would slowly reduce the amount of carbs until I feel I can go with out it. I feel that carbs is such a short duration fuel, and I can?t understand why its respected so much. When blood sugar gets low, the body will switch to use fat as fuel anyway, but the body can only tap fat cells when insulin is low. It would seem its better to train with a keto diet if you ask me. The muscle cells have no problem using fat as fuel, and will probably do better using fat as a fuel. But you have to get your muscles adapted to use fat as fuel. If you find that your recovery is slow start with complex carbs first, I will never suggest sugar to anyone, then work up the ladder until you find the lowest amount of carbs you need to kick ass.

Originally Posted by phabphour20 View Post
    Welcome back Dru. You were missed. Glad to hear you are keeping up the lifestyle.

-PP

I'm always lurking, I hope you are not cheating with all the christmas parties going on. So far I avoid all carbs from 4 holiday parties, my coworkers think I'm a freak. But I rather be a slim freak, than fat cool guy. Lots of luck,