Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Increase your arm size by 1 inch in 1 day - the how and the why

I've seen this "One day arm cure" thread floating around several times, so I figure I will settle this bull**** once and for all.

http://www.testosterone.net/html/30odac.html

That's the article, now let me tell you straight up: it will NOT work.

This so-called "one day arm cure" is a temporary effect. This is a trick Arnold and the ol' timers used to do back in the day for their lagging bodyparts. They would perform 1 set to failure, every hour, a day or two before the competition, timing it carefully with their carb-up. This allowed them to increase the size of that lagging muscle group (be it calves, biceps, whatever) by upto 1 inch.

How and why this works, no one has yet been able to explain... perhaps it has something to do with glycogen hyper-retention, no one knows. This effect is temporary, it doesn't increase muscle size. Bodybuilding is a sport of illusions. If you can't display what you have, it's the same thing as not having it, while conversely, increasing your arms by an inch, be it with this method or another, allows you to display something that you don't have, not necessarily meaning that you have it. (Try sayign that 5 times really quick).

I hope it is obvious, still, that you can't significantly increase muscle size within a very specificly targetted area simply by exercising it to its maximum extent. Though to varied degrees, increases in muscular hypertrophy are distributed throughout the body.

In addition, think of this in terms of protein synthesis. How is it possible for your body to synthesize several pounds of muscle -- equivalence of adding an inch to your arms -- within a period of several days, and within a specific area such as the arms? If it allows one to increase from 12" to 13", then by all scientific means it should be no different for an increase of 22" to 23" in pro's, right? Sorry, it doesn't work that way... it's not possible.

Stop looking for a quick fix!

Gene

Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Bump!
    "Power come from God."
    "Do or do not there is no try"
    "I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things."
    Current Height: 6'3''
    Current Weight: 212lbs.

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    word. Muscle gains are made from QUALITY training, NOT QUANTITY as i've staed over and over and over

I've done that type of routine 2 or so years ago figured more lifting must be good. It's not. It does NOT work. There is NO WAY it could work.
    Booo

Power-BB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Power-BB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Power-BB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Power-BB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Power-BB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Power-BB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Power-BB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Power-BB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Power-BB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Power-BB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Power-BB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    At first I thought you were promoting it Gene. The only way possible would be Synthal oil, but beware users that try it.

Brant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brant is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I believe Unless you are using steroids, trying that little trick could land you dehydrated, very tired, and without the muscle you started with.

I hope to god no one trys it even after he explained it...

Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gene is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I see no physiological reason why this wouldn't work for a natural competitor, unless you can objectively explain it to me within the context of my initial post. As far as dehydration, I don't think its recommended to water deplete over 24 hours out anyway because you'd have to do it gradually and your aldosterone would kick in and cause water-retention. So I see no problems there.

Fatigue? If quads are a weak-point, I certainly don't recommend doing squats to failure all-day. But small muscle groups like calves and biceps won't cause significant long-term fatigue. In fact, your muscles will most probably recover almost fully within 4-6 hours.

bump... for the disbelievers

!

amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    been there, done that like I said, but the sad thing is that if people think it'll work, they won't listen to you. I know I was discouraged from doing it, but I figured they were all a bunch of haters and did it anyways(2 or so years ago).

Looking at what some people post on here is almost like looking into a mirror of myself a few years ago. You guys'll understand in a few years if you ever look back
    Booo

Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Iv never tried the program, but over on the T-mag message boards people have said it had worked for them. Also, the guy who wrote the program, Charles Poliquin, seems to be a very qualified, and educated guy when it comes to weight lifting, so i am sure he has alot of reason behind it.

Another thing, the program doesn't say it will put an inch on your arms. It says it should put about 3/8- inch on. However, depending on your body type, it could possibaly put more or less.

Another thing, the program doesn't say your arm will grow the 3/8-inch in one day. You do the workout in one day, but the growth takes place over the next five days.

Originally posted by Pete
    Iv never tried the program, but over on the T-mag message boards people have said it had worked for them. Also, the guy who wrote the program, Charles Poliquin, seems to be a very qualified, and educated guy when it comes to weight lifting, so i am sure he has alot of reason behind it.

Another thing, the program doesn't say it will put an inch on your arms. It says it should put about 3/8- inch on. However, depending on your body type, it could possibaly put more or less.

Another thing, the program doesn't say your arm will grow the 3/8-inch in one day. You do the workout in one day, but the growth takes place over the next five days.
    See... this is the kind of bull**** I'm talking about.
    Did you even read my post? I didn't state my opinion. I stated a FACT. You CANNOT increase the size of your arms without increasing the rest of your body by considerable amounts with very few exceptions. The article is bull****, I don't give a **** about the author's credentials. What looks good on paper in a textbook doesn't necessarily carry over into the gym.

amusclehead, I agree with your analogy 100%. Even though we all had to start somewhere, I think that those that have advanced knowledge should still try their best to eradicate ignorance when it pops up.

I will keep bumping this thread for as long as people even THINK about this non-sense.

Gene

or you could look at it this way:

Fine, the program gives you 1 inch on your arms in 1 day. Okay, now do it next week, the week after, the week after, for 2months. Now you've got 24'' arms. Makes sense, eh
    Booo

Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Pete has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    or you could look at it this way:

Fine, the program gives you 1 inch on your arms in 1 day. Okay, now do it next week, the week after, the week after, for 2months. Now you've got 24'' arms. Makes sense, eh
    This program is designed to be used once in a while. Doing it frequently is strongly not reccomended. It is just a way to bump up the intencity to shock your muscles every now and then when you have reached a platue.

Yep, that's another good way to look at it. Either way you look at this though, it's got "rediculous" written all over it.

It amazes me how much silly drivel T-mag and others can disgorge within a given time frame. When exactly did credentials start allowing people to transcend all common logic?

Gene

Gene, have u ever tried the program?

I occasionally incorporate different variations of this in my training, it has its place if done rarely and properly. However, the way it is described in the article has no place in regular training whatsoever.

Let me take direct quotes from the first paragraph of the article:
    "For instance, what would you give to be able to put 3/8-inch on your arms in as short a length of time as 24 hours? It's entirely possible with my One-Day Arm Cure."

laugh!

"One word of caution, though: if you try this method, your arms will be so battle fatigued, so glycogen depleted, that they might even shrink slightly until supercompensation kicks in after the 24th hour. Once that first day is over, though, stand back and watch those suckers swell up like leeches invading a blood bank."

First of all, supercompensation does NOT "kick in" that fast. Your arms will just swell up from the pump and the glycogen like I suggested before I even read this part in the article.

Gene

I have never done this program. However I wouldn't throw it out the door that fast. For some people it may be beneficial, to some it might not.
    Lifting weights is about trying new things, and experimenting. You never know unless you try it.

Somebody shoot me!
    No one ever says, "It's only a game" when their team is winning.

Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You never know unless you try it.
    Have you ever tried drinking gasoline?
    Have you ever curled 5,000 pound dumbells?
    Have you ever shot yourself in the foot while doing calf raises?

We all (er, most of us) have enough common sense to know which things definitely CANNOT work.

Have you ever tried curling those 2.5 lb weights 37 times with 10 second breaks for 5 sets every other day? No really, it adds 13/21's of a centimeter onto your arm within 48 hours!
    Kramer: Don't worry, it's a write-off for them.
    Jerry: How is it a write-off?
    Kramer: They just...write it off.
    Jerry: "Write it off" what?
    Kramer: Jerry....all these big companies - they write-off everything!
    Jerry: You don't even know what a write-off is!
    Kramer: Do you?
    Jerry (high, fed-up voice): No! I don't!
    Kramer (consoling): But they do...and they're the ones.........writing it off.

Iron Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "In order to make things move more smoothly, you may want to prepare your food ahead of time so that nothing interferes with the tight training and eating schedule." - I think Charles made this article for beginners who didn't ever hold a dumbbell in their hand. not for us, experienced lifters.

that article doesn't even have a single well-though suggestion. everything else that Charles said, we know it. good thread Gene. I totally agree with everything you said.

Gene, have u ever tried the program?

maybe's your an illiterate mofo, i don't know, but incase you are, I TRIED A PROGRAM 99.9999999999999999999% SIMILAR TO THIS 1.

The results- well, it was almost like taking a step back.

This was 3yrs. ago when i didn't know a whole lot about training and figured quantity over quality.

Doing this will do sh!t for you. If you want to argue with that statement and endorse or defend the program, then you are a god damn dumb ass mutherfugger. I'm sorry, plain and simple.

And guess what, i've been there, done that, so I CAN make these statements. You don't like it, go piss yourself and try it, then come back here with your tail between your legs saying you were wrong
    Booo

Iron Tom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    maybe's your an illiterate mofo, i don't know, but incase you are, I TRIED A PROGRAM 99.9999999999999999999% SIMILAR TO THIS 1.
    99.9% is not 100%. so don't foget that. the results can and will be different.

Originally posted by Iron Tom

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, I see *somebody* is a newbie to lifting in this thread
    Booo

you opened my eyes amusclehead, i never heard of the term weightlifting. thank you, you're my hero dumbass. how about we take a quiz, and we'll see who is a real newbie to lifting?
    lol, i've been lifting for 6+yrs. now. Not quite a lot in the grand scheme of things, but still enough to know my sh!t. I've been around the block a few times and i've made a HELL of a lot of mistakes in the past when it comes to lifting, but I've got everything sorted out right and fine now and know what's good and what isn't
    Booo

well, I see we're going to be gooooooooood friends at this rate

If you don't mind me asking then, how long have u pumped iron for
    Booo

Stop the arguing guys, it will help nothing. Who cares who knows what, or how close program X is to program Y.

I made an argument here, some people supported, others obliviously & ignorantly disagreed. However, in the process, over 400 people have viewed this thread who chose not to reply. Hopefully some of them have learned something from me, thats all I could have hoped.

Gene
    No one ever says, "It's only a game" when their team is winning.

DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000)

No man not really, Ive tried it before, growth goes backwards.
    Back in black, watch out for me peeps, I will dwarf you!

DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000) DJO is just really nice. (+1000)
    no, no, no, no. i am not the one making enemies here, i didn't start out saying that you were a beginner. so it would have been quiet on this thread, if you just kept your mouth shut, instead of starting to insult people with some moronic quotes.

"Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, I see *somebody* is a newbie to lifting in this thread" - hahahahha, how funny amusclehead, you're just a comedian. i have never laughed harder in my life.

in case you wanted to know, i started boxing at age of 5, which is now my job and my sport that i enjoy. boxing and bodybuilding are not really different, except us boxers don't worry about how we look, we worry about how we perform.

and i am into women's psychology (yes you heard it right WOMENS) if you are really that curious.
    Attached Images

don't f*cking tell that to me DJO. i didn't start this whole arguement with amusclhead. so i wouldn't really care neither if this selfish child wouldn't start.

and if you wouldn't care DJO, then you wouldn't post here.

Gene, excuse me for this argument, but I didn't expect that Bodybuilding.com Forums would have so much *******s (not you).

actually, yes you did. You're trying to imply that that type of program might be helpful to somebody who lifts. I see a lot of sh!t posted on here. I was lucky when I found musclemag that the peopole there were quite helpful and straightened me out into proper lifting(program, diet, etc..). Just trying to do the same here and kill the sh!tty stuff that pops up here.

Really annoys me when something that is so BS like that article pops up. I've been through that, i've tried those programs believing they were true and suffered for it. dont' want others to make the mistakes i made
    Booo

like i said before, put your knowledge where your f*cking mouth is. you think you're that smart and experienced, then post. from all of your posts, i haven't seen atleast one post which I would have been amazed by.

did I ever say I supported this program, reread everything again? practice your reading skills first fella, and then try to prove yourself. and so far, you haven't gotten yourself anywhere.

GET IN MAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BELLY

hahahaha, i just had to post that
    Booo

don't f*cking tell that to me DJO. i didn't start this whole arguement with amusclhead. so i wouldn't really care neither if this selfish child wouldn't start.

and if you wouldn't care DJO, then you wouldn't post here.

Gene, excuse me for this argument, but I didn't expect that Bodybuilding.com Forums would have so much *******s (not you).
    Oooohhh dont be so senthitive!