Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    These are about the cheapest on the market:

http://www.vsathletics.com/product.p...50c4d539db263e

Believe it or not, dress shoes work very well. You want a raised heel that is also hard. Most running/basketball shoes that people wear compress a lot under the weight and are unstable. Dress shoes usually give a solid base, and you can get them for $20 if you don't already have some.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

acquadiice is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) acquadiice is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) acquadiice is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) acquadiice is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) acquadiice is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) acquadiice is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) acquadiice is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) acquadiice is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) acquadiice is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) acquadiice is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) acquadiice is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by raffiki View Post
    These are about the cheapest on the market:

http://www.vsathletics.com/product.p...50c4d539db263e

Believe it or not, dress shoes work very well. You want a raised heel that is also hard. Most running/basketball shoes that people wear compress a lot under the weight and are unstable. Dress shoes usually give a solid base, and you can get them for $20 if you don't already have some.
    lol im not gonna wear dress shoes to the gym!! lmaoooo

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    whatever happened to phase 2??? the information in here is pretty darn amazing!

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Andalite View Post
    whatever happened to phase 2??? the information in here is pretty darn amazing!
    Phase 2 and 3 are both in here. I just couldn't edit the title after I decided to put it all in one thread.

Thanks!
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Phase 2 and 3 are both in here. I just couldn't edit the title after I decided to put it all in one thread.

Thanks!
    oh snap...i just read page one lol....ok, ill go through the rest of the stuff ASAP...and im gonna rep you too

GROPEGRABOSHITWTFBBQ! Hard Drive's Avatar
    Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

where to buy bumper plates

I've been having trouble getting to the club lately and since my gym doesn't have any bumper plates, I figured it'd be a good investment for me to have some when I can't hit the club and stuff. I looked around online but jeez, they're uber expensive and they are also all listed in pounds, I want KILOS.

Anyone have any suggestions? I figure that's important for a home lifter.
    Rice Power Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=332791061

Success requires single-mindedness of purpose.
    ---------------
    tofu/rice/ranch---no meat

madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No-one at Team Savannah has any recommendations? Or any extra plates lying around? I assume your max snatch is in the 60'ish range, so you'll do fine with a pair of 10's and a pair of 15's, along with some metal plates... That way you can warm up your snatch properly (man that sounds rude...) It'll get you up to 75 on the bar (including collars) for cleans, and 5kg and 2.5kg metal plates will pop you up to 90kg for max efforts.

You could get 2 10's and 2 15's from http://www.werksan.com/ for a total of $228. Or you could spring for the 90kg set (10's, 15's and 20's) for $329.

That's pretty much the cheapest you'll get GOOD quality bumpers for...

Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hard Drive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm lifting in a small subset of team Savannah way out here at Parris Island. Rather ghetto>.>

I'll check out the bumbers. Does having a barbell that has a spinny thing matter THAT much or can I just use any OLY barbell?
    Rice Power Log

---------------

madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Spinny thing? If you mean the sleeves, yeah, they'd better spin!

A bar is actually something worth spending money on, since the good ones will last a lifetime, while the bad ones will last a few months...

Check out the Pendlay 20 kg Economy Barbell on the Werksan site. They really stand by their products, and it's only $229.

will 10kg plates last a while even if I'm loading up an extra 25kg each side in regular iron plates?

And I'll check the barbell I have and see if it does the spinny thing.
    Rice Power Log

---------------

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Kalt View Post
    will 10kg plates last a while even if I'm loading up an extra 25kg each side in regular iron plates?

And I'll check the barbell I have and see if it does the spinny thing.
    you have a nonspin oly bar? I don't think it'll matter much, the gym bar I usually workout with has alot less spin to it than the real competition bar my coach has but it's not like I can't lift that much more with the real bar, though the spin does make it easier to lift.

you could check this site out:

http://store.wfwclub.com/plates.html

and this one http://www.werksanusa.com/products.asp?dept=11

both good places for kg plates (though still slightly expensive)
    Last edited by GoJu; 03-20-2008 at 05:00 AM.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Nope, even bumper 10's plus iron 10's isn't a good idea if you're dropping the weights often. You never want the iron plates weighing more than the bumpers, or even the same.

Eh. I'm not much of a weight dropper, and I'd really only be getting the weights to drill my form. Maybe I could fashion myself a platform instead of just using concrete...
    Rice Power Log

---------------

If you don't drop weights, then you don't need bumpers (or a platform) If the plates you have are too small in diameter, make some blocks and lift off of them.

Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Eh. I'm not much of a weight dropper, and I'd really only be getting the weights to drill my form. Maybe I could fashion myself a platform instead of just using concrete...
    You can make a basic platform with a large rubber matt, a couple sheets of plywood, and two smaller rubber mats (optional, slight sound dampener) for either side where the weights drop.

Keep it level and sturday, and you're fine.

Also, if you're not dropping weights, you don't need bumpers. However, I don't know how far you'll get snatching if you can't drop the bar.
    gympunk - "Thank God my wife hasn't ever been bothered by cum shooting around."

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm not much of a weight dropper
    you will be
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

slyng is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slyng is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slyng is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slyng is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slyng is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slyng is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slyng is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slyng is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slyng is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slyng is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) slyng is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by madaozeki View Post
    No-one at Team Savannah has any recommendations? Or any extra plates lying around? I assume your max snatch is in the 60'ish range, so you'll do fine with a pair of 10's and a pair of 15's, along with some metal plates... That way you can warm up your snatch properly (man that sounds rude...) It'll get you up to 75 on the bar (including collars) for cleans, and 5kg and 2.5kg metal plates will pop you up to 90kg for max efforts.

You could get 2 10's and 2 15's from http://www.werksan.com/ for a total of $228. Or you could spring for the 90kg set (10's, 15's and 20's) for $329.

That's pretty much the cheapest you'll get GOOD quality bumpers for...

I got my original set from Pendlay (the black bumpers) and am pretty happy with them.

I recently got some Werksan bumpers from: http://www.therubberman.com/WeightPlates.asp

They show Kraiburg bumpers on the site, but actually had some Werksans for the same price. Great customer service too.

They also seem to have packages: http://www.therubberman.com/Packages.asp
    Last edited by slyng; 03-20-2008 at 06:36 PM.

otrebmu is just really nice. (+1000) otrebmu is just really nice. (+1000) otrebmu is just really nice. (+1000) otrebmu is just really nice. (+1000) otrebmu is just really nice. (+1000) otrebmu is just really nice. (+1000) otrebmu is just really nice. (+1000) otrebmu is just really nice. (+1000) otrebmu is just really nice. (+1000) otrebmu is just really nice. (+1000) otrebmu is just really nice. (+1000)
    OP's rep power is 1337

bump for an awesome thread
    ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'' -Muhammad Ali

mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just tried some of the exercises posted, does anyone find that thier shoulders get really tired from holding the bar in a snatch grip overhead for a while?

Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I just tried some of the exercises posted, does anyone find that thier shoulders get really tired from holding the bar in a snatch grip overhead for a while?
    lol. Well...yeah. That'd do it .

Try some strict oly pressing as well as BTN snatch-grip push presses.
    gympunk - "Thank God my wife hasn't ever been bothered by cum shooting around."

Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    It takes a while to adapt to weightlifting. That's why it is best to start light and work on positioning. Alexeev used complexes that lasted about 2 minutes to build up the shoulders. There are also Romanian complexes designed by Javorek.

http://staff.jccc.net/ijavorek/mf.htm

mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10) mmd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sweet thank you! I was just using the bar and I was acheing lol

knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

I'm gonna give this a shot.
    Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165969711

Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Phase 2

Snatch High Pull

This movement is like the deadlift, however you will finish with a shrug and toe raise. Keep your arms straight until you are at full extension. This is a very important thing to learn now. After you've reached full extension, bend the arms and let the weight continue upwards. Do not perform this lift explosively at the beginning. This may sound strange, but remember that you are learning positions.

Hip Snatch

Deadlift the bar with a snatch grip. Now lower it slightly, pull into full extension (keeping the arms straight), and then pull yourself under the bar. This will be awkward at first, but it is one of the best drills for learning the snatch. Start light and make sure you hit the bottom position quickly on each rep.

Clean High Pull

Follow the same advice for Snatch High Pull.

Flip Clean

Deadlift the bar with a clean grip. Without lowering the bar, perform a simultaneous shrug and toe raise. This will elevate the bar only slightly and will force you to squat down and catch it. Be sure to catch the bar with it resting on your shoulders. Also keep your back tight and look up slightly in the bottom position.

Rack Jerk

Set the bar in the squat rack. Take the bar out of the racks with a clean grip, and the bar resting on your shoulders. Remember which foot should be going forward as established in the overhead lunges. DO NOT ALTERNATE FOOT POSITIONS. Now dip down (about a quarter squat distance), and immediately drive straight upwards. As soon as the bar leaves your shoulders, split your feet front and back, so you end up in the same position as the lunges. If you have to press the weight out to lock your arms, it is too heavy. A pressout is against the rules in weightlifting. You must learn to get into a deep slit to catch the weight.

Back squats

Use the same movement as the bodyweight squats, except with the bar on your back. Resist the urge to use a lot of weight. It may seem embarrassing to be using only the bar to squat. However it is vital for a weightlifter to squat all the way to the bottom. Remember that your current training is all about learning positions.

As with Phase 1, I recommend 3 sets of 10 to get the practice. As an option, you can continue the Phase 1 workout, alternating with Phase 2. So Mon. would be Phase 2, Wed. would be Phase 1, Fri. Phase 2. Always start light until you feel comfortable, and you are performing the lift properly.
    fixed the second last vid for you

goal710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I fully agree with everyone. It was an excellent post. Thank you.

1meBERMUDA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1meBERMUDA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1meBERMUDA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1meBERMUDA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1meBERMUDA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1meBERMUDA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1meBERMUDA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

great post

i can do those myself

Phase 1

Body Weight Squats

This is pretty straight forward, but here are a couple things to keep in mind. Start with your stance shoulder width and you toes pointed out slightly. Your knees must be able to move out to the side (follow your toes) this necessary for your hips to rotate correctly. If you keep your toes and knees pointed forward, you will not be able to squat all the way down. Try to think of sitting between your heels. You want to work on finding the most comfortable and deep position. This will involve changing your stance width, and changing the angle of your feet, until you are comfortable sitting in the squat position. You should look up a little, keep your back straight or arched, and I like to hold my arms out for counter balance. Feel free to adjust your stance between reps if needed, and also pause at the bottom to get comfortable with it.

Snatch Deadlift

Take a wide grip on the bar, look forward, arch your back, and pull your shoulder blades in a little. The first part of the movement will be the hips pushing back, your legs straightening, and your back angle remaining constant. Once the bar has passed your knees, push your hips forward, while straightening your torso. Remember your knees should be getting out of the way of the bar. Don't move the bar ahead of you to clear the knees. Start with a slow tempo, and gradually increase the speed of the second pull.

Drop Snatch

Take the bar out of the racks like you would with a back squat. Move your hands into the snatch grip position. (This will be a spacing that allows the bar to be held 5-8 inches (12-20cm) over your head.) Now push the bar over your head and squat down. It may be helpful to pause in the bottom position to build stability. The goal, over time, is to push very little with the legs, and to drop under the bar faster. Ideally you want to only use a toe raise to push the bar slightly, and drop all the way to the bottom to catch it.

Clean Deadlift

Use the same procedure as the snatch deadlift except use a narrow grip. Use a grip that will allow you to hold the bar at your shoulders, with your hands outside of your shoulders.

Overhead Lunges

Push the bar over your head using the clean grip. Take a long step out, and kneel down until your back knee is almost on the floor. Pause for a second and return to the start. Now repeat with your other leg. While you are at it, try to figure out which leg is more stable in the forward position. (In the video you will note that I am much more stable with the left foot forward.) This will be the leg you will put forward in the jerk. Follow a moderate tempo with these, and keep the back tight.

Front Squats

Take the bar out of the rack with it resting on the front of your shoulders. Your hands should be under the bar, in the clean position. Use the stance you established in the body weight squat exercise. Arch your back, look up slightly, and squat down. Keep your elbows up, so that they do not touch your knees. Go as low as you can and pause for a second before standing up.

Flexibility will generally be an issue, especially in the ankles and wrists. Hamstrings and hip flexors are often a problem too. If you cannot get into the proper positions, then you should stretch before your workout. You may have heard that stretching before a workout will reduce your strength. This is not an issue because the goal is to learn proper movement patterns. Stretching afterwards and on off days will also be helpful.

I recommend 3 sets of 10 for each. This will allow for a good amount of practice. If you want to do lower reps, just make sure you do a total of 30 for each exercise. Follow this routine 3 days a week for 3 weeks. Start out using just the bar. Only increase the weight when you can perform an exercise correctly.

astro99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) astro99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) astro99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) astro99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) astro99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) astro99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) astro99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) astro99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) astro99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) astro99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) astro99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    awesome post. Thank you

kratosnikes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how long does it usually take for someone to learn proper technique?
    i kinda just jumped into it and ended up feelin pretty natural.

Originally Posted by kratosnikes View Post
    how long does it usually take for someone to learn proper technique?
    i kinda just jumped into it and ended up feelin pretty natural.
    Flexibility is the main factor. I don't think there is a normal timeframe when are talking about the general population.

mimitaco will become famous soon enough. (+50) mimitaco will become famous soon enough. (+50) mimitaco will become famous soon enough. (+50) mimitaco will become famous soon enough. (+50) mimitaco will become famous soon enough. (+50) mimitaco will become famous soon enough. (+50) mimitaco will become famous soon enough. (+50) mimitaco will become famous soon enough. (+50) mimitaco will become famous soon enough. (+50) mimitaco will become famous soon enough. (+50) mimitaco will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    SUPER DUPER! lol Repped...Thanks for posting
    No wealth like health. Fortunes lost may be earned again but once health is lost, it's a different story.