ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Grip Question (Not about straps)

I skimmed through the strap debate and, while I am not opposed to the idea of using straps, I am probably too uncoordinated to figure out how to wrap them aroundmy wrist or the bar! Plus, I'd like to improve my grip.

So... my question is: what are the best moves for strengthening grip?

Thee Alpha of Thee Alphaz GameDayDog's Avatar
    Location: GameDayDog's Center for Folks Who Can't Workout Good and Would Like To Do Other Things Good, Too!
    GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Returning The Favor...

Thx for helping me with my workout...

Here's my favorite gryp article...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dennis78.htm

I'm thynking about buying some straps too... sigh. Just for back/bicep day.

Peace..~G
    I Got A Billion Articles Bookmarked!!
    I am the Alpha ... RaSP is the oMEGA ... Between the 2 of us - We have everythyng covered...

2300+ Non-Rule Breaking Posts ... 0 Negative Reps.

My favorite threads are the locked & deleted ones.

Everyone find a post by DBFLGirl and rep it... Please!

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That is a nice link Dog.

Time in the gym is what does it. You can and should be doing some direct grip / forearm work.

I use a BB for forearm work and I have a little grip squeeze thingy at my desk.

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think it depends on what lifts you are doing. Grip, for something like deadlifts, is more about technique than grip strength. If you are using an over/under grip you don't need a death grip on the bar. It's almost like you use your fingers as hooks and hold the bar that way, and place your thumb over the index finger for support. I've never lost a max single because of grip.

At the same time, if my grip is going to hold me back from getting the lift I need, like if I'm doing shrugs or rows, I will not hesitate to use straps so I can hold the bar in an overhand grip long enough to get my set in and hit the muscle group I'm targeting. It's all about what you are looking for. I do competitive lifting and straps are not allowed so I do all of the lifts the same way I'd do on the platform.

joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    dbflgirl: here's a gripping site, so to speak:

www.bigsteel.iwarp.com

exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do not use straps, they are what will be holding you back in the long run
    buy chalk, thats the best purchase for any lifter right there

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks everyone. I have read and read and am now thoroughly confused!

I am thinking I'd like to get some sort of gripper along with working with holding heavier dumbbells at the gym. Is this a good start? If so, am I better off with the heavy duty grippers mentioned in the articles (starting at 100 lbs and supposedly for beginners) or can I use the Harbinger grippers sold here at bb.com? Keep in mind that I am female, ectomorph and not tremendously strong (and not unhappy with my forearms at present... just want to be able to hold more weight for my SLDLs). I am currently maxing out with 90lbs on the bar, if that gives you some idea of how strong/weak I am. (Ok, I'm weak; please be kind.)

Thanks for all your help.

UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are several different types of grip strength. Grippers are not going to help you much (if at all) when holding onto a barbell. Try some of these:

Static holds - load up a barbell and hold on to it. If you can hold it for more than 10 seconds or so, add weight, rinse, and repeat. You can do the same thing hanging from a pullup bar with two or even one hand for time.

Farmer's walk - same idea, but use 2 dumbells and walk around with them.

Thickbar work - if you have access to a thick bar (2+ inches), use it for deadlifts or static holds. You can wrap a towel around a regular barbell for a similar effect.

Trying doing some of these at the end of every weight lifting session until your grip is fried.

Thee Alpha of Thee Alphaz GameDayDog's Avatar
    Location: GameDayDog's Center for Folks Who Can't Workout Good and Would Like To Do Other Things Good, Too!
    GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Rearranging Your Routine...

Ya know.. I was looking at thys thread again.. as I usually do go back in tyme and look thru old threads.. and I was wondering, when do you do your SLDL's..??? ... I ask because... I had mentioned I wanted to buy straps for my back/bicep day...

I know some of my exercyses for that day hit my forearms more than others, such as my close grip pulldowns and pullups and shrugs... it would be pointless for me to arrange these exercyses one after the other in my workout as they each require a lot of grip strength and I'd probably be dropping the weights for shrugs just so I could hold onto the barbell... Soooo.... depending on the other exercyses in your workout, you myght be able to re-arrange the exercyses in your routine and place it in a spot or another day, where u'll have more gryp/forearm strength...

Just a thought...

Peace..~G
    I am the Alpha ... RaSP is the oMEGA ... Between the 2 of us - We have everythyng covered...

2300+ Non-Rule Breaking Posts ... 0 Negative Reps.

My favorite threads are the locked & deleted ones.

Everyone find a post by DBFLGirl and rep it... Please!

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GameDayDog
    Ya know.. I was looking at thys thread again.. as I usually do go back in tyme and look thru old threads.. and I was wondering, when do you do your SLDL's..??? ... I ask because... I had mentioned I wanted to buy straps for my back/bicep day...
    I do SLDLs on Leg Day. They hit the glutes and hams hard.

I do regular deadlifts on Back Day. Deads hit the back more that SLDLs.

This week I did Deads on Monday and SLDLs on Tuesday. Needless to say, my CNS is buzzing and DOMS is starting to set in. Not a good idea. Keep these at least 3 days apart.

A.FreeRadical
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

I do SLDLs on leg day. So, unfortunately, I can't blame my lack of grip on anything other my lack of grip!

This morning, after doing SLDLs yesterday, I am feeling it in my shoulders. I was only lifting 135 pounds but apparently this is enough to give my shoulders a workout. And I could barely hold the bar. the problem is that I don't feel as though I worked my hamstrings or glutes at all!

Does anyone else have this problem -- your upper body maxes out before you can get the full effect on your lower body? What is the solution? My guess is that even if/as I gain upper body strength, it will always lag behind my legs.

P.S. I also saw something called hooks in my travels through the internet yesterday. These seem easier to position/put on than straps. Anyone ever used them?

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dbflgirl
    This morning, after doing SLDLs yesterday, I am feeling it in my shoulders. I was only lifting 135 pounds but apparently this is enough to give my shoulders a workout. And I could barely hold the bar. the problem is that I don't feel as though I worked my hamstrings or glutes at all!

Does anyone else have this problem -- your upper body maxes out before you can get the full effect on your lower body? What is the solution? My guess is that even if/as I gain upper body strength, it will always lag behind my legs.
    dbflgirl, I sometimes feel it in my traps when I do real heavy weight with SLDLs. Have you tried standing on a small platform for these? My gym has one that is 4-6" high. When I stand on this and drop the plates to the floor, I get a real good stretch in the glutes and hammies.

Alternatively, you could use 25 lbs and under plates on the bar and go to the floor for that stretch. Keep your legs fairly straight while you do these.

A.FreeRadical
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exarch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do SLDLs on leg day. So, unfortunately, I can't blame my lack of grip on anything other my lack of grip!

P.S. I also saw something called hooks in my travels through the internet yesterday. These seem easier to position/put on than straps. Anyone ever used them?
    thats a good lift if youre a girl! good job
    as for the hooks, dont buy them. even more worthless than straps :)

Oregon Adonis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oregon Adonis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oregon Adonis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oregon Adonis has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks everyone. I have read and read and am now thoroughly confused!

I am thinking I'd like to get some sort of gripper along with working with holding heavier dumbbells at the gym. Is this a good start? If so, am I better off with the heavy duty grippers mentioned in the articles (starting at 100 lbs and supposedly for beginners) or can I use the Harbinger grippers sold here at bb.com? Keep in mind that I am female, ectomorph and not tremendously strong (and not unhappy with my forearms at present... just want to be able to hold more weight for my SLDLs). I am currently maxing out with 90lbs on the bar, if that gives you some idea of how strong/weak I am. (Ok, I'm weak; please be kind.)

Thanks for all your help.
    There are also other types of 'aids' that help - straps IMHO are great and easy to learn how to use - just ask and we can coach you. I also used for a time a metal J-hook type of strap that velcro'd around my wrist and was quite good for deads, etc. I've seen them at a few different places, maybe even available here.