st_clancy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How bad is smoking on my training?

I smoke 3/4 to a pack a day, I was just wondering(in hopes of motivation) how bad is this for me in the respect of efficiency of my workouts... slowing my recovery, holding me back X percent of gains? Thanks

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    its gonna be hard to put a % on how much its hurting your gains. i'd quit for general health though, if you really want to quit you've got to motivate yourself though. as bruce lee once said "the only help is self help"

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    I still smoke, picked it up during my "Unhealthy Years." Been a real biznatch to completely quit... After several failed attempts, I've been working on cutting back... I've gotten myself from a pack a day (20 cigs). Down to 9-11 per day... On my own Stop Smoking plan, similar to the Blue Cross program etc...

The biggest draw back from smoking is cardio vascular health... Which thus will influence the intensity with which you lift... Doing some cardio work ontop of your regular work will help counter this problem...

Now I would never encourage anyone to smoke, nor say that it's okay... But other than intensity towards the end of your workout, and how that impacts gains... I have not seen any other sign of it affecting my gains in muscle building... However it has a significant effect on the cardio portion of cutting...

I've gotten lucky and my body is very willing to drop fat on it's own...

But as my doc said at my last 2 physicals... "Every thing about you says that you're in the shape of a man 5 years younger... Except your cardio numbers still say you're 28."
    He didn't realize that I smoked at first until I told him... But I've also been busting my ass to keep my cardio vascular health in line...

Bottomline, while you might not be able to drop it cold turkey, you should be working on getting it down, and planning on a quit date... Developing habits to help you stop smoking...

One tip I've picked up... You know how when you're around people who smoke and they light up, and you almost instantly reach for your pack... I smoke a cigar instead... Still have the nicotine problem, but to a lesser degree, and you're not inhaling...
    I do the same thing when I'm fishing... Where I used to constantly chain smoke... Now it's cigars... At a bonfire... Cigars etc...
    *Works for Arnold!

I'm finding that it's when I beat the "Need to inhale" that I make the most progress on cutting back...

It helps if you're on a bulk as well, because the oral fixation will make you want to eat constantly...
    I've set my "Quit Date" at August 21st 2005... (My 29th birthday) Still nice enough out here in MN, that I can take a quick power walk to kill the "Smoking urge" and still close enough to fall/winter, that the extra "Need to Eat" will blend into my bulk.

In the mean time I just continue to find ways to cut back, learn tricks, and tips etc...
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

RichM601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Quitting smoking was the best decision I've ever made.

jamesB is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamesB is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamesB is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamesB is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamesB is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamesB is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamesB is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamesB is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamesB is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamesB is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamesB is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by RichM601
    Quitting smoking was the best decision I've ever made.
    Never starting was the best decision I ever made.

Registered User darealprofessor's Avatar
    darealprofessor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Almost all IFBB pros that I have seen smoke for some reason.

I STRONGLY suggest that you continue to smoke, and if you dont smoke, START IMMEDIATELY!!!

The fact that a huge number of americans are becoming obeses is ok, but those that are not are becoming more and more health concious. This is not good. This is bad for business. So, if you dont want to become obese, please, at least smoke. That means job security for me and millions of other health care workers in numerous fields........Look forward to treating you all someday!!! SAVE UP!!!

KUS is on a distinguished road. (+10) KUS is on a distinguished road. (+10) KUS is on a distinguished road. (+10) KUS is on a distinguished road. (+10) KUS is on a distinguished road. (+10) KUS is on a distinguished road. (+10) KUS is on a distinguished road. (+10) KUS is on a distinguished road. (+10) KUS is on a distinguished road. (+10) KUS is on a distinguished road. (+10) KUS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i quit 3 weeks ago cold turky... its all mentil

Phenom in the Making LaxandWeights's Avatar
    LaxandWeights has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaxandWeights has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by darealprofessor
    Almost all IFBB pros that I have seen smoke for some reason.

I STRONGLY suggest that you continue to smoke, and if you dont smoke, START IMMEDIATELY!!!

The fact that a huge number of americans are becoming obeses is ok, but those that are not are becoming more and more health concious. This is not good. This is bad for business. So, if you dont want to become obese, please, at least smoke. That means job security for me and millions of other health care workers in numerous fields........Look forward to treating you all someday!!! SAVE UP!!!
    ROFLMAOBBQ
    EAT TO FAILURE.