Closed Thread
Page 2 of 340 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Cronos1247 View Post
    This routine should take roughly half an hour to forty minutes to complete?
    There are only 2 work sets per exercise with a minute and a half rest interval. You shouldn't need more than 30 seconds to 1 minute in between the warm up sets.

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by EPMD View Post
    I like it, but I would want to add chinups and dips, or at least alternate them with rows and curls.
    IT'S A BEGINNERS ROUTINE. Don't screw with it. If you alternate the exercises how are you going to make the progression in reps from week to week?

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    IT'S A BEGINNERS ROUTINE. Don't screw with it. If you alternate the exercises how are you going to make the progression in reps from week to week?
    I agree with your point about progression being easier if you maintain consistency with your exercise selection. That said, I think chinups are a fundamental exercise that would benefit beginners more than curls would. My arms were pretty pathetic doing curls until I focused more on chinups.

rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rustywalk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

nice work man, looks like a good workout program

sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

upper and llower body together?

One concern I have is that is it preferable to do lower and upper body workouts together on the same day, as described in your program? Any side effects to this approach?

Secondly, how long do we follow this program? Do we stop it after a certain no of weeks or after we reach a certain weight level? I would assume after a certain stage, we need a more challenging and different routine?

thanks!

Sam

Chuck_Melrose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chuck_Melrose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chuck_Melrose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chuck_Melrose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chuck_Melrose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chuck_Melrose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chuck_Melrose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chuck_Melrose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chuck_Melrose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chuck_Melrose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chuck_Melrose is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.
    Not bad.

But why not chins in place of curls just starting out?

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sardarji View Post
    Any side effects to this approach?
    Bigger muscles.

Originally Posted by sardarji View Post
    Secondly, how long do we follow this program? Do we stop it after a certain no of weeks or after we reach a certain weight level? I would assume after a certain stage, we need a more challenging and different routine?

thanks!

Sam
    Keep using the program until you can no longer progress on it. That is, once you hit a plateau AND after resetting the weight back a few weeks, you still can not progress.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

rudd03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up I think i like this

I think I like this better that the Rippetoe. I don't feel like I'm working my arms at all with the rippetoe. Thanks
    Push 'Till You Puke!

noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

cool workout...i wanna try it
    slightly concerned though about doing BP and overhead press on the same day, 3 times a week. seems like alot of strain on shoulders.
    also, how come there is an iso move for biceps and not for triceps? i feel like my bis get worked harder with back than my tris do with chest and shoulders.

Originally Posted by noobNick View Post
    cool workout...i wanna try it
    slightly concerned though about doing BP and overhead press on the same day, 3 times a week. seems like alot of strain on shoulders.
    also, how come there is an iso move for biceps and not for triceps? i feel like my bis get worked harder with back than my tris do with chest and shoulders.
    Bi's and tri's are balanced at 4 sets each. Rows and curls, over head press and bench press. If not working triceps directly PROVES to be a problem then add a triceps press. Your shoulders will be fine. It's only 4 sets.

noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobNick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bi's and tri's are balanced at 4 sets each. Rows and curls, over head press and bench press. If not working triceps directly PROVES to be a problem then add a triceps press. Your shoulders will be fine. It's only 4 sets.
    cool. that makes sense about the the bis and tris getting worked equally. i guess i could just thow a couple triceps sets in the routine on fridays or whatever. i look forward to giving this a try here in a few months

Achay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi all pro.

I have just started into weight training at home for the last few weeks, doing most of the lifts in your guide but have not had any real plan to follow as yet. Just lifting and always trying to increase it no real direction other than trying to lift heavier as often as I could.

I have a football injury at the minute but as soon as it heals and I return to training I shall be using your training method.

Thanks for the post, I have been trying to come up with a plan other than just lifting heavy as I can from reading a lot of forums. I'm Not so directionless now, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Achay View Post
    Hi all pro.

I have just started into weight training at home for the last few weeks, doing most of the lifts in your guide but have not had any real plan to follow as yet. Just lifting and always trying to increase it no real direction other than trying to lift heavier as often as I could.

I have a football injury at the minute but as soon as it heals and I return to training I shall be using your training method.

Thanks for the post, I have been trying to come up with a plan other than just lifting heavy as I can from reading a lot of forums. I'm Not so directionless now, much appreciated.
    You're very welcome.

Achay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi again,

I have a few questions. For the squat is it Full Squat or just to parallell? And the site I use to check out new exercises I cannot find Over Head Press, is this similar to Military Press?

Originally Posted by Achay View Post
    Hi again,

I have a few questions. For the squat is it Full Squat or just to parallell? And the site I use to check out new exercises I cannot find Over Head Press, is this similar to Military Press?
    Over head press or military press is fine. For squats don't stop going down until your hips are lower than your knees.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Looks good for a hypertrophy workout .. but I agree with an earlier comment about lowering the rep ranges. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't those rep ranges just promote growth? I guess thats good if that was your goal but usually as a beginner you would want to increase strength until you hit a wall or so and then maybe to growth then to strength or whatever you want at that point.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!
    =============================================

Originally Posted by jgood View Post
    Looks good for a hypertrophy workout .. but I agree with an earlier comment about lowering the rep ranges. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't those rep ranges just promote growth? I guess thats good if that was your goal but usually as a beginner you would want to increase strength until you hit a wall or so and then maybe to growth then to strength or whatever you want at that point.
    For a beginner it wont make much of a difference. Rippetoe's Starting Strength will produce more strength gains. This program will split the gains between size and strength. A beginner WILL gain strength with this program.

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I think this program is also a great choice for those finishing up Rippetoes and looking to add size. I think Rippetoes will add great strength for all new lifters, but size (muscle not fat) will only go so far on a low volume, low reps system for many lifters. Everybody will vary on this.

This program adds considerable volume, working different rep ranges, and based on different yet effective progression plan while using the best lifts.
    Not to mention getting stronger in a different rep range. I'm going to start recommending it.

FA702 is not very helpful. (-500) FA702 is not very helpful. (-500) FA702 is not very helpful. (-500) FA702 is not very helpful. (-500) FA702 is not very helpful. (-500) FA702 is not very helpful. (-500) FA702 is not very helpful. (-500) FA702 is not very helpful. (-500) FA702 is not very helpful. (-500) FA702 is not very helpful. (-500) FA702 is not very helpful. (-500)
    why do calf raises ... why not just do this

squat
    bench press
    barbell rows
    military press
    skull crusher
    barbell curls

Viper Six is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viper Six is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viper Six is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viper Six is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viper Six is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viper Six is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viper Six is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viper Six is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viper Six is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viper Six is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viper Six is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Give me a reason to follow this and not rippetoes.

Originally Posted by Viper Six View Post
    Only if you send me money. I don't get paid for anything that I do here and I'm not required to give you a reason.
    How's that working for ya?

Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000)
    Only if you send me money. I don't get paid for anything that I do here and I'm not required to give you a reason.
    owned.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf The Grey

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Viper Six View Post
    You can't go wrong with either one.

Just pick one and DO IT.

N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) N@tural1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Awesome!

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Talking

AP,

Cash, cheque, or money order? I'm kinda leery 'bout sendin' cash through the mail--those 100-dollar bills sorta stick out on the scanner...

Seriously, a fine post and excellent advice. Even the longtime lifters should be looking at this. Basics rule!
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Trained by Apollo Creed JoeShmoe's Avatar
    JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

When you say 4 sets, that includes the warmup sets? Initially, you said 2 work sets.

Registered User CaptainGorgeous's Avatar
    CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JoeShmoe View Post
    When you say 4 sets, that includes the warmup sets? Initially, you said 2 work sets.
    2 warm-ups and 2 work sets probably.

The warm-ups seem really light though.

MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattT84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Alright Im a beginner, and just tried this routine in today's trip to gym(2nd time ever).

I like the workout, and feel I am working the muscles I want to build, however the workouts werent as intense(I used 10% below my max.lift weights), when I was all done in 30 minutes, I still felt like I had alot of energy leftover, so I spent the next half hour working out using other machines until my body felt depleted.

Most likely a noob mistake on my part, but I was always taught "no pain, No gain". I plan to go to the gym every other day giving me 48 hours to replenish glycogen, I do plan to follow the workout until I can find my own routine where I work out specific muscles for a specific day of the week.
    Weight progression:

May 21 2008 - 255 lbs

May 21 2009 - 215 lbs

May 21 2010 - 235 lbs

May 21 2011 - 245 lbs

Registered User CaptainGorgeous's Avatar
    CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MattT84 View Post
    Alright Im a beginner, and just tried this routine in today's trip to gym(2nd time ever).

I like the workout, and feel I am working the muscles I want to build, however the workouts werent as intense(I used 10% below my max.lift weights), when I was all done in 30 minutes, I still felt like I had alot of energy leftover, so I spent the next half hour working out using other machines until my body felt depleted.

Most likely a noob mistake on my part, but I was always taught "no pain, No gain". I plan to go to the gym every other day giving me 48 hours to replenish glycogen, I do plan to follow the workout until I can find my own routine where I work out specific muscles for a specific day of the week.
    The point of the 80% and 90% days is to allow recovery for the 100% day. It's a format used in many of Bill Starr's programs. If you keep adding volume on the 80% and 90% days, you defeat the purpose of the format of the program, and you will probably find it harder to progress. Just follow the routine how it's written.

T-Rem-Endous is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rem-Endous is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rem-Endous is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rem-Endous is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rem-Endous is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rem-Endous is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rem-Endous is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rem-Endous is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rem-Endous is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rem-Endous is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rem-Endous is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    NICE THREAD!

But wudnt it be better to go onto a split program!
    If You Quit Now, You'll Never Know What You Would've Been!!!