vafitguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

question's about kids and fitness

Hello everyone, just have a couple of questions on how to get my 13 y/o son involved in weight training and fitness...have made some good gains over the last 2.5 years, but want to make it fun for him..........any suggestions???

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The reflection of your attitude will go along way.

warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just keep doing what you're doing. I managed to suck my wife in and she is loving it already. I have noticed he is asking more and more questions about working out, so I am sure within time he will be all mine as well! Muhahahahahah.......
    Be accountable

beerman_420 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beerman_420 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beerman_420 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beerman_420 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beerman_420 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beerman_420 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beerman_420 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beerman_420 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beerman_420 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beerman_420 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) beerman_420 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by vafitguy
    Hello everyone, just have a couple of questions on how to get my 13 y/o son involved in weight training and fitness...have made some good gains over the last 2.5 years, but want to make it fun for him..........any suggestions???
    just let him do what he wants to do. If your pushy and want him to workout then he will do the exact opposite. Just do what you are doing and if you catch him being nosey and noticing what your doing for yourself and seeing the changes your making, he may get interested.
    if yall wanna talk about bb.com stuff feel free to add me to your msn/yahoo messenger [email]bashore69@yahoo.com[/email]
    icq-149478091
    aol-bashore69

Buddy list: Contract Killer, Illnino

Thee Alpha of Thee Alphaz GameDayDog's Avatar
    Location: GameDayDog's Center for Folks Who Can't Workout Good and Would Like To Do Other Things Good, Too!
    GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Few Thyngs..

Originally Posted by beerman_420
    just let him do what he wants to do. If your pushy and want him to workout then he will do the exact opposite.
    Yeah.. thys is true with teenagers... then teach him proper form so he won't hurt himself... and not to worry about heavy weights.. they'll come over time... Oh yeah... don't let him forget his legs... and keep him away from the teen section of thys websyte...

Peace.. ~G
    I am the Alpha ... RaSP is the oMEGA ... Between the 2 of us - We have everythyng covered...

2300+ Non-Rule Breaking Posts ... 0 Negative Reps.

My favorite threads are the locked & deleted ones.

Everyone find a post by DBFLGirl and rep it... Please!

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    away from the teen section LOL

No doubt to the legs half of my gym does no leg work at all.

thanks for the replies....yeah want to make it fun for him ...something that he will want to continue doing..he's already @ 20 lbs overweight and want to start gradually working up to him doing alot of cardio ....don't want to see him being the (fat Kid) in school that everyone pick's on

Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

My son is also 13. I built him a gym in the basement with weights and a heavy bag. Printed out weightlifting logs for workout programs and exercises. I always stress the improtance of physical fitness and the edge it will give him in sports and against non-lifting kids his age. He particularly enjoys the fact that he can be left alone and have his privacy while working out. I always compliment him on his growing chest, bicepts and legs. Now he wants a mirror of all things! He has his own gloves, belt and now when his friends come over instead of gameboys and crap they want to lift.
    Last edited by Capt. America; 02-23-2005 at 09:55 AM.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pick up a fun cardiovascular sport that he will enjoy and the two of you can do together -- like perhaps mountain biking.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Unhappy

Originally Posted by vafitguy
    You have to be careful with young people, especially when they haven't reached full height growth. Growth caps on the ends of bones can be damaged and it can actually inhibit bones lenghtening. I have a friend 6'2' and he started his son weight training at 12 yrs old. The kid is now a full grown man 5'4" tall, muscular but very short.

Genetically, all the women in the family are average height 5'7" or above. The men are all 5'10" or greater.

KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10) KingWill is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No offense but I have never believed that and don't think there are any proven studies backing it up. My son started when he was 10 and is now 16 and 6' 1". That's one inch taller than me. The only study I have seen affecting height in kids is on gymnastics and tumbling.

domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up Here is a link on bone growth caps/plates

Originally Posted by KingWill
    No offense but I have never believed that and don't think there are any proven studies backing it up. My son started when he was 10 and is now 16 and 6' 1". That's one inch taller than me. The only study I have seen affecting height in kids is on gymnastics and tumbling.
    Here is a link on bone growth caps/plates

http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/g...ate/growth.htm

If I had a child teen or pre-teen I think I would make some inquiries about issues created from athletics that could affect the future of my child. The growth caps/plates are generally not easily damaged, but there are health issues when they are damaged.
    Last edited by domineaux; 02-23-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Originally Posted by domineaux

If I had a child teen or pre-teen I think I would make some inquiries about issues created from athletics that could affect the future of my child. The growth caps/plates are generally not easily damaged, but there are health issues when they are damaged.
    not really worried about him bulking up or anything...just want him to become generally more physically fit for his age ...that will be his call later on when he mature's a little more...and thanks everyone for thier replies,,it seems like its getting harder and harder to keep kids into sports and generally more active whith all these new video games and stuff..wonder how it would have been if these thing's were around when we where that young???

Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If it's video games he's into, why don't you get him Dance Dance Revolution? It's basically a dance videogame, but instead of using a joystick of any type, there is a floorpad where he will use his feet.

I did it once and it wore my happy butt OUT! It's a workout, but it's still a videogame! Might be worth a shot.

Tom
    "WHERE ANGELS AND MARINES FEAR TO TREAD, THERE YOU'LL FIND A CORPSMAN DEAD."

Written by a Marine on the back of a dead Corspman's shirt in August of 1942.

I am humbled to have been able to call myself one of them.

CdnArctic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CdnArctic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CdnArctic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CdnArctic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CdnArctic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CdnArctic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CdnArctic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CdnArctic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CdnArctic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=domineaux]Here is a link on bone growth caps/plates

QUOTE]

Well if I was going to use that study I would have to chain my boys to the the couch, lest they run and fall.

Respectfully

"Hey I'm 41 and I'm in the best shape of my life" - guy off the soloflex commercial

"Why are'nt you supposed to be eating jelly donuts, Private Pyle?"
    "Because I'm heavy Sir."
    "Because you're a disgusting fat body Private Pyle"
    -Full Metal Jacket

Be kind to your children, they pick out your rest home.

Wink

[QUOTE=CdnArctic]
    Originally Posted by domineaux

QUOTE]

Well if I was going to use that study I would have to chain my boys to the the couch, lest they run and fall.

Respectfully
    The way I see is:

1) Intelligent people can review information and make their own decisions.

2) I only provided 1 link. I'm sure with enough effort a couple hundred could be brought to bear on the subject.

----------

If you've got vitalic boys I seriously doubt any of them will have their two front teeth by the time they're 18...LOL

Trampolines, football, camping, soccer, foosball, etc. all take their toll.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If it's video games he's into, why don't you get him Dance Dance Revolution? It's basically a dance videogame, but instead of using a joystick of any type, there is a floorpad where he will use his feet.

I did it once and it wore my happy butt OUT! It's a workout, but it's still a videogame! Might be worth a shot.

That game is a workout! It's a lot of fun!
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Im sure he will be brought "back from the dark side" as soon as his interest in girls sparks.
    My kids are 5 and 7 (soon) and they lift with me everyday. Admittedly they only use 2 pound db's, but my 7 y/o daughter know all the exercises and why she does them.
    We have fun-lots of fun- together. But they know to stay away when daddy walks into the squat rack and under a loaded bar
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg

Thee Alpha of Thee Alphaz GameDayDog's Avatar
    Location: GameDayDog's Center for Folks Who Can't Workout Good and Would Like To Do Other Things Good, Too!
    GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Never Admit It...

Originally Posted by Tom Knighton

Tom
    I'll never admit that I own DDR & DDR Max... and 2 dance pads.. nope.. not me... My boy and I was playing it once.. and then someone knocked on the door.. so with lightening speed.. we disconnected the mats.. threw them under the bed ... plugged in the joysticks... and put Madden 2005 in the playstation 2... hahaha...

Peace.. ~G
    I am the Alpha ... RaSP is the oMEGA ... Between the 2 of us - We have everythyng covered...

2300+ Non-Rule Breaking Posts ... 0 Negative Reps.

My favorite threads are the locked & deleted ones.

Everyone find a post by DBFLGirl and rep it... Please!