Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Good, the enemy of great! Blackjackcat's Avatar
    Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Anyone on here who own's a supplement store?

I always thought of trying this someday. Just wondering if anybody here has made it work. Tough business? Long hours? High start up cost(leasing a building ect)? Just looking for some feedback.
    Last edited by Blackjackcat; 08-15-2007 at 07:29 PM.
    Companies I would not even take free supplements from:

Syntrax
    Anabolic Xtreme

and list keeps growing......

bkprice14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bkprice14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bkprice14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bkprice14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bkprice14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bkprice14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bkprice14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bkprice14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bkprice14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bkprice14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bkprice14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Own a store for about 2 1/2 years. Here is some tips

First, listen to your customer and not your own voice. I tried to carry only legit top name companies but found out soon that Magazines ads and Tv commercials really influence customers choices.

Second, a lot of people have no clue what there buying and really need to be educated on it. I would be take the time to read about every product and know whats in it.

Third, dont over stock, it will force you into a lot of specials because whats hot today might not be hot tomorrow, leaving you with no choice but to clearance it.

Fourth, lots of Post card marketing, when I tried this a few times my sales would sky rocket and I would pick up some loyal customers.

And yeah, long hours unless you can find someone who has a passion for supplements, I could never find anyone that would take the time to learn about what they were selling.

Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjackcat is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks for the info. Seems like you are making it work. I have seen a few come and go so I figured it would be tough to make it work here(MN).

Syntrax
    Anabolic Xtreme

40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Blackjackcat View Post
    Thanks for the info. Seems like you are making it work. I have seen a few come and go so I figured it would be tough to make it work here(MN).
    I have seriously considered opening one, but the biggest sticking point for me right now is the fact that they only want to lease the building for a minimum of 3 years. If the business fails, then I'm basically screwed. That, and it forces me to stick around this area for at least that amount of time in which I'd only want to do so if the business took off. Regardless though, I'm trying to get a one year lease.

teraflx is just really nice. (+1000) teraflx is just really nice. (+1000) teraflx is just really nice. (+1000) teraflx is just really nice. (+1000) teraflx is just really nice. (+1000) teraflx is just really nice. (+1000) teraflx is just really nice. (+1000) teraflx is just really nice. (+1000) teraflx is just really nice. (+1000) teraflx is just really nice. (+1000) teraflx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ive seen a few open in my area and all have failed, imo due to all the gnc's and vitashops ect. Its just so hard now-a-days to compete with places like that, even if they are ripping off customers and 75+% dont know what they are talking about.

If you do decide to do it, best of luck to you man. Wish you great sucess becuase I love when the little guy comes out on top.

Yeah, a one year lease would take a little pressure off. The area I am looking at has high lease rates also.

Originally Posted by 40-Yard Dash_2 View Post
    I have seriously considered opening one, but the biggest sticking point for me right now is the fact that they only want to lease the building for a minimum of 3 years. If the business fails, then I'm basically screwed. That, and it forces me to stick around this area for at least that amount of time in which I'd only want to do so if the business took off. Regardless though, I'm trying to get a one year lease.

Syntrax
    Anabolic Xtreme

Thnaks! I would just like a place that does not gouge the customer and has used/has some knowledge of a lot of the supps they sell. I know it would be tough though.

Originally Posted by teraflx View Post
    Ive seen a few open in my area and all have failed, imo due to all the gnc's and vitashops ect. Its just so hard now-a-days to compete with places like that, even if they are ripping off customers and 75+% dont know what they are talking about.

If you do decide to do it, best of luck to you man. Wish you great sucess becuase I love when the little guy comes out on top.

Syntrax
    Anabolic Xtreme

FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i always thought having an online one will be fun but theres a lot of competition but you always have to take a risk though

another day in paradise punksurfer024's Avatar
    punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    this has been something ive wanted to do for a while! either open up a retail shop or start own company........family means no disposable cash though.
    Millecor Sponsored Athlete

Originally Posted by FatSoonGone View Post
    i always thought having an online one will be fun but theres a lot of competition but you always have to take a risk though
    It's either work the boring 8 hour a day job and retire in 15 years(with a nice retirement) or take a chance. Its a tough call and very risky.

Syntrax
    Anabolic Xtreme

another day in paradise punksurfer024's Avatar
    punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punksurfer024 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FatSoonGone View Post
    works out great for someone like me though, working 24 hours on and having 48 hours off. just need that start up capital
    Millecor Sponsored Athlete

FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatSoonGone will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    im willing to do it its just a matter of time and money we shallsee what happens

Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000)
    it really depends on what you expect to get from opening something like this.. I think you can make maybe 60-80k a year, anything more would be a stretch.

40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah, a one year lease would take a little pressure off. The area I am looking at has high lease rates also.
    Good luck!

Keep us posted.

Unregistered User NoNameNecessary's Avatar
    NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have a ton of stuff in my cabinet and from time to time, I sell some supplements to my friends.

Does that count?

It's either work the boring 8 hour a day job and retire in 15 years(with a nice retirement) or take a chance. Its a tough call and very risky.
    I've always been one for following dreams and doing what makes you happy. If I'm not happy with what I'm doing, regardless of how much I'm making, I'll do what makes me happy. People that have dreams should do their best to follow them.
    Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.
    -Proverbs 19:21

SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I will own a supp store one day, plus I am planning on having a smoothie/protein shake maker there. Like some blenders so people can try some 1-2 serving samples and try it out before buying 5lbs...

Plus I say every order over 75 bucks = Free T-Shirt...
    I love free T-Shirts and I know a lot of other people do to, plus it is a very effective way for advertising....
    PreSurge = Pre WO.

drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Sapper564 View Post
    I will own a supp store one day, plus I am planning on having a smoothie/protein shake maker there. Like some blenders so people can try some 1-2 serving samples and try it out before buying 5lbs...

I love free T-Shirts and I know a lot of other people do to, plus it is a very effective way for advertising....
    people do love freebies...samples, key chains, workout towels, hats, shirts, bumper stickers, gym bags, etc etc
    God bless/science be with our military

SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SHOWTIME has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by babolat06 View Post
    people do love freebies...samples, key chains, workout towels, hats, shirts, bumper stickers, gym bags, etc etc
    For sure...
    I got a sweet key chain it looks like a weight belt but obviously mini...

1 Shirts
    2 Hats
    3 Gym Bags
    then towles, key chains, stickers...etc...
    PreSurge = Pre WO.

drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) drxmn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For sure...
    I got a sweet key chain it looks like a weight belt but obviously mini...

1 Shirts
    2 Hats
    3 Gym Bags
    then towles, key chains, stickers...etc...
    yes shirts are #1. biggest, most visible logos = most publicity and impact

im into graphics...i think its fun to make eye catching and profound logos and whatnot

Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

I think you are going to do extremely well.

You just need a large start up capital is all.

Unregistered User NoNameNecessary's Avatar
    NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoNameNecessary is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Agreed.

When you give stuff away, you get two things: 1.) customers that are happy with your service and that are likely to return and 2.) free advertising.
    Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.
    -Proverbs 19:21

Originally Posted by NoNameNecessary View Post
    Agreed.

When you give stuff away, you get two things: 1.) customers that are happy with your service and that are likely to return and 2.) free advertising.
    connecting with the employees makes me want to return business.

i never shop super supplements any more because they are morons and dont know their ass from their elbows about supplements. A couple months ago an Army Ranger came in asking about creatine and supplements, and the dumbass lady didnt know ANYTHING so i ended up walking the guy around and showing him what is good and what isnt, what works, what he needs, the good deals, etc.

if you dont know your own goods, you dont deserve business.

ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Here...let's start up a supplement store right now...

40yd, send me Sustain, Sustain Bars, Vigor, GXR, LXT, MP, Replenish, Xceed, ActivaTe Xtreme, Basic Cuts...

NNN, send me some ZMA & Aerobitine

Babolat, send me some RPM & IGF2

Sapper, send me some Anabolic Pump, Powerfull, Super Cissus RX, & Pslin

I promise I'll get right on sampling, er selling products ASAP!!

Originally Posted by ZacharyMills View Post
    Here...let's start up a supplement store right now...

40yd, send me Sustain, Sustain Bars, Vigor, GXR, LXT, MP, Replenish, Xceed, ActivaTe Xtreme, Basic Cuts...

NNN, send me some ZMA & Aerobitine

Babolat, send me some RPM & IGF2

Sapper, send me some Anabolic Pump, Powerfull, Super Cissus RX, & Pslin

I promise I'll get right on sampling, er selling products ASAP!!
    with the stash i have i could start one right now! of course it would be ghetto style (out of my trunk)

ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ZDub212 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    with the stash i have i could start one right now! of course it would be ghetto style (out of my trunk)
    My stash > your stash

Although I do lack RPM

jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jmil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This is a dream of mine as well. My family has owned stores since I was born, and I've been trying to convince my dad within the past few months to go into business with me and start a supplement store. Our area has one already...I have talked with the owner many times, and am extremely surprised that this store is still open...it's only because of the gentleman that he has working for him. He is that guy who lives supplements, and is thoroughly happy doing what he does. I think one could work in the area that I'm in, would want to take it online as well. What a life that would be...sitting at the store all day, selling supplement and surfing bb.com (Clearly I know there's a lot more to it, that's just how I envision myself )
    DIABLO BARBELL
    1003, 540, 800 Multiply

Precision Nutrition Level 1 Certified

I've always been one for following dreams and doing what makes you happy. If I'm not happy with what I'm doing, regardless of how much I'm making, I'll do what makes me happy. People that have dreams should do their best to follow them.[/QUOTE]

I agree for the most part. If I was single, that would be what I would do. Having a wife and a kid makes the decision much harder.

Syntrax
    Anabolic Xtreme

ProWrestleFan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ProWrestleFan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ProWrestleFan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ProWrestleFan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ProWrestleFan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ProWrestleFan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ProWrestleFan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ProWrestleFan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ProWrestleFan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ProWrestleFan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ProWrestleFan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There are already two stores based here in Wichita.... Supplement Giant and Affordable Supplements. A total of 3 stores between the two. My only option really would be to work for one.

Only problem with that is that they usually only have 1 or 2 people working there at a time. And mostly the same people always there. So I doubt there are ever really possitions available.

I guess I could always work for shipping or something though.
    Professional Wrestler
    Current South Korea PWS Heavyweight Champion
    Twitter - @RyanOshun
    Instagram - RyanOshun

deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm hoping a certain national chain will start giving out franchising rights. If that happens I'm certainly going to open a few. I'm in a lot of stores and must say the thought of owning is compelling.
    "I just use my muscles as a conversation piece, like someone walking a cheetah down 42nd Street." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Heretic....

Originally Posted by deserusan View Post
    I'm hoping a certain national chain will start giving out franchising rights. If that happens I'm certainly going to open a few. I'm in a lot of stores and must say the thought of owning is compelling.
    Des, I know it varies from store to store, but how much do you think franchising rights cost?

Syntrax
    Anabolic Xtreme