cookiesnm1lk is on a distinguished road. (+10)

an easier explanation

so i'm looking at the keto guides on this website. and while i'm trying to understand them.... my autistic brain is like "this is a huuuuuge boring word wall and i don't wanna do this" so no matter how many times i read them.... when i can force myself to do so... i'm not comprehending it. can i get an easier explanation? i know that roughly keto diets work by removing all carbs from one's diet to force the body to start burning fat for energy, but there's more to it than that, i can tell.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    well i mean... your body burns fat by being in a caloric deficit. you don't need to do keto to lose fat, but you can if you can't or don't want to eat carbs

keto generally just keeps you more satiated because you're mostly eating protein and fat instead of carbs

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Don't think in terms of only burning fat when no carbs are present. The body never makes binary decisions, you will always be burning some fat, the amount depends on the availability of carbs but also on the intensity of the activity (lower intensity activity usually involves a higher proportion of fat burned).

Ultimately, none of that really matters because if your aim is to lose body fat, the calorie deficit is all that matters. There is no particular advantage to keto unless you have an adverse reaction to consuming carbs such as those with pre-diabetes issues. Even then, as little carbs as possible is not necessarily the answer.

I think a much better diet is a wholefood diet involving some amount of carbs mostly from vegetables and pulses. You can tune the amount that suits you by experience.

cookiesnm1lk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Don't think in terms of only burning fat when no carbs are present. The body never makes binary decisions, you will always be burning some fat, the amount depends on the availability of carbs but also on the intensity of the activity (lower intensity activity usually involves a higher proportion of fat burned).

Ultimately, none of that really matters because if your aim is to lose body fat, the calorie deficit is all that matters. There is no particular advantage to keto unless you have an adverse reaction to consuming carbs such as those with pre-diabetes issues. Even then, as little carbs as possible is not necessarily the answer.

I think a much better diet is a wholefood diet involving some amount of carbs mostly from vegetables and pulses. You can tune the amount that suits you by experience.
    well i mean... i'm pre diabetic at the moment. i don't need insulin but i was told that i might in the future if i don't fix my body. and i have a fatty liver, keto might help me with that too, right?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yes, in your case, it might.

It's probably better to keep carb as low as possible for at least 2 weeks - during that adaptation phase. These adaptations are semi permanent and you could experiment with adding carbs back in slowly afterwards. You don't have to be technically in ketosis to benefit from a 'lowish' carb diet.

You should use how a meal makes you feel to determine your response to carbs... I used to have a problem with feeling very light headed an hour or 2 after eating when I was running a calorie deficit. This went away after adapting to low carbs but I never did a strict keto diet, that wasn't necessary.