Creelove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

UV-free "Tanning" for Show?

I'm considering doing another bodybuilding show after a 2 year hiatus, but I refuse to tan again. I really think it's a waste of time and completely unhealthy. I've seen a lot of the local tanning companies have a UV-free tanning system ('Mystic Tan'), which essentially dyes your body. I'm assuming they use something similar to Pro Tan. One application can get your very dark and lasts a few weeks. Has anyone tried this for a show?

Thanks,

Chris

rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I gave it some thought, but I worried about not being dark enough. Even though at home it looks dark, you know up there on stage it really has to be. I decided instead of having to take the chance of putting a coat of dream tan over it anyway, just to go with the dream tan. If you do this, (mystic tan), I for one would be very interested in hearing results.

Creelove has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've never used dream tan. Does that work without tanning or do you need to have a base tan before applying?

As for the mystic tan, I went to their website and it looks like you can do a couple of treatments to get the desired level of tan you need. But you're right about needing to be ridicuously dark just to look slightly tanned on stage.

Thanks,

Chris

rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Creelove
    I've never used dream tan. Does that work without tanning or do you need to have a base tan before applying?
    Yep, dream tan is awesome. Don't wear anything you want to keep nice with it on though!

As for the mystic tan, I went to their website and it looks like you can do a couple of treatments to get the desired level of tan you need. But you're right about needing to be ridicuously dark just to look slightly tanned on stage.

Thanks,

Chris
    Interesting, I am going to check out their website. Thanks for the heads up!

HotDoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If it is a real Mystic Tan than it works really well...but don't go to any other named place cause it doesn't work as well. I find even some places that offer Mystic do not have all the features...ie.instant bronzer and 3 levels...normal people usually do level 2 but level 3 is dark. Done a few times you will be REALLY dark...but work with the bronzer it is a bit orange. Before going exfoliate your body, shave, and moisturize. Moisturize a lot after first 12 hours post-spray have passed, let the tan set overnight for the best results with no shower or sweating. Down side is shaving takes it off faster. A good base tan works wonders too.

Originally Posted by HotDoc
    If it is a real Mystic Tan than it works really well...but don't go to any other named place cause it doesn't work as well. I find even some places that offer Mystic do not have all the features...ie.instant bronzer and 3 levels...normal people usually do level 2 but level 3 is dark. Done a few times you will be REALLY dark...but work with the bronzer it is a bit orange. Before going exfoliate your body, shave, and moisturize. Moisturize a lot after first 12 hours post-spray have passed, let the tan set overnight for the best results with no shower or sweating. Down side is shaving takes it off faster. A good base tan works wonders too.
    Nice info to know.....thanks for the heads up.

figurebeauty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mystic tan will not last more than 2-3 days, unless you don't shower or sweat. It won't get you dark enough either. You do have the option of doing more than one Mystic; however, you may look orange.

GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

girl is right, the only trophy you will be getting is a picture of yourself looking like one if you show up with just a mystic tan.
    Do BOTH.
    And Dan Replied "What are you a pussy just jab it pull back for blood then push it in and feel the rush" and that is when my 4 year struggle began.

SDbuffNstuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I competed last weekend. My trainer had me do Mystic Tan on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights. Then I started painting on pro-tan on Thursday night. The Mystic Tan was a really good BASE to have before painting, but trust me, I was a very orange girl all week up to the show! I would not have gone on stage without pro-tan!

HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    u still need to use a tanning product precontest like jan tana or pro tan or something, you should UV tan also, if you dont, youll appear orange on stage

j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    last year, I had a very dark natural tan, did mystic tan 3 times the final week leading up to the show, and applied dream tan the morning of the show. I did not use any protan or olympic tan or anything of that nature. While my color was okay, I should have been much darker and I should have used protan or an equivalent.
    $157 billion creates 650,000 jobs = $240,000 cost to create or save 1 job

GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GURU4U has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    True use the mystic along with the beds do the mystic tan the final week, then apply pro tan or whatever pre tan you would use, the darker more even your color is the better
    And Dan Replied "What are you a pussy just jab it pull back for blood then push it in and feel the rush" and that is when my 4 year struggle began.

AlwaysTan will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlwaysTan will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlwaysTan will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlwaysTan will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlwaysTan will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlwaysTan will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlwaysTan will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlwaysTan will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlwaysTan will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlwaysTan will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlwaysTan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm at my tanning salon right now. We've had the Mystic Tan for 3 years and I know everything about the mystic tan. It does have 3 levels and this is how it works.

level 1-sprays 11 seconds a side
    level 2-14 seconds a side
    level 3-18 seconds a side

The level 3 spray will get you very dark, but its tricky. The sprays aren't based on how dark you want to get, their based on body stature. Guys who are 6'1 do a level 3, if I put someone in who's is a girl and is 4'11 she is going to turn orange from getting oversprayed. I suggest Pro Tan or Show Tan by Jan Tana in a bottle. It's made for bodybuilders and we used to carry it and sell it to bodybuilders.

trevorjones has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) trevorjones has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    dont use this tan, it will turn your body orange, the tans look extremely ugly.

macapollo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) macapollo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) macapollo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) macapollo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) macapollo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) macapollo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) macapollo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) macapollo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) macapollo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) macapollo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) macapollo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Cool

pro-tan mixed with uv tanning (unfortunately) up to 3 weeks prior to a show has been my regimen. I only go to the beds 3 times a week to, i am farely dark skin naturally.
    **Cancer Survivor Crew**

XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I tan for 20 minutes once a week pretty much all year(except during the hot summer months). I do this up until the last week before a show and then I just starting layering the pro-tan. I end up putting on at least 7 coats of the stuff over the course 3-4 days. I do not shower for the last day and half before the show. I am of scandanavian decent(read: WHITE) and this gets me darker than most on stage. I have found though that with protan, after 7 coats, maybe 8 at the most, I get to the point where I can see the stuff start to streak a little...at that point I think my skin is damn near saturated and cant take anymore...but if you hit that point, you are dark enough.

Color should not be a problem for anybody...basically you just keep putting it on until you think you are dark enough...then you put on one more coat.

Sean
    B.S. Exercise Science, Philosophy, Creighton University 2003

CSCS, NSCA-CPT

Member of TEAM KLEMCZEWSKI
    www.thedietdoc.com

"His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

-President Theodore Roosevelt

youngdurin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youngdurin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youngdurin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youngdurin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youngdurin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youngdurin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youngdurin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youngdurin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youngdurin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youngdurin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youngdurin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Mystic Tan

The Mystic Tan IS Pro Tan, just very diluted. I used it as a base with some luck but it just isn't dark enough by itself. What would be way cool would be to find a way to NOT dilute it and apply it longer than the 30 secs or whatever it is. Of course, no normal human would want that color but it would RULE for us. You could eliminate hours and hours of ProTanning. You could buy an airbrush and the concentrate and do this yourself, I guess, it just might be a high initial investment.
    I used just the Mystic Tan by itself for a photo shoot and it was a mistake. Might as well have not applied anything; it was way too light. And that was the highest level for three sessions, pretty expensive. But I am the whitest guy in America, too, so my color really sucks.
    Lifetime drug free lifter.

Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My wide has tried the Mystic tan for her shows, and at home or out-and-about she looks dark as hell, then up on stage she looked like a ghost! Point being, there is no spray tan that will get you dark enough for the stage lights. Spray tan, with tanning bed visits with 3 coats of ProTan worked for her, but nothing less than that. Dream tan can get you very dark the day of the show regardless of what color you are, but it is some messy stuff and if you are a sweater at all, I would seriously consider other alternatives!

Always Tanned & Flawless miami sunless's Avatar
    miami sunless has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up I have a UV-FREE TANNING salon

Hello all,

I have a uv-free tanning salon. If you want to be EXTREMELY dark WHERE it will show up on stage, you need to use an airbrush and a high percentage of DHA (dha is the name of the liquid sprayed on you). The spray booths( i own one) cannot even match up to the quality and how dark a sunless techinician can get you with a HVLP gun ( HVLP gun is the actual airbrush).

Regardless, i'm ready to sell my booth. The booths are great for people who are shy and don't want a techinician doing it. But after a couple of sessions they venture on to the HVLP in the long run.

The HVLP GUN is known for being used on high end autombile paint jobs but in recent years they've tweaked the gun for airbrushing on the HUMAN body. The process is safe and takes less than 4 minutes if it is a touch up. It takes 10 minutes MAX if it is your first time getting "airbrush".

Anyhow, you will look kinda crazy to others if regular room light but really explosive on stage. All my buds come to my salon and do it. The process can leave you really dark or naturally tanned and sexy - I have a lot of brides also.

Point is - if you are doing a competition and are pressed for time - get AIRBRUSHED by a techinician ask for at least a 11%-15% DHA solution. The process of airbrushing makes your body the canvas and whatever definition you want SHOW, pecs, abs, shoulder calves - the techinician can enhance what you already have. If you have time go every day for 3 days before your competition. Also ask the salon if the techinician can come with you to the show - it is usually about $100 per 3 hours. Its worth it if you are already making money doing the sport. If not, you can walk into anyone's salon for about $20-$55 per session.

And don't worry about health concerns - Sunless tanning is the only way the American Cancer Society approves of TANNING. As body buffs - we must maintain healthy overall. The sun and UV beds cause premature aging along with othe rmore serious side effects. I got into sunless tanning because i was getting all these strange white spots on my skin. Finally went to the doctor and he said i had dermatitis (i know i'm spelling it wrong). My skin was reacting to prolong use of the sun. Had to find an alternative - now i have my own salon + keeping my fitness regimen

Hope this information helps!

Sue
    Attached Images

Bob Palkhas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up phoenix sunless

Lot of my friends have used the mist-on tan and they have been very happy. Use the Dr. Laughlin's mist-on tan and they do not turn you orange or glow in the dark unlike the other tans.
    It lasts for 7-10 days and gets you dark enough and you can have multiple tans depending on how dark you want to get. There are few places in the Phoenix area that does the Dr. Lauglin's mist-on tans.