Closed Thread
Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dyhp
    The latinazo site looks good... I would pass on the guayaki site for two reasons.

1) Their crap is overpriced
    2) They've got Che Guevara crap all over their stuff.... Bottom line, Communist Killers arent cool. This webpage looks like some hippie site that has romanticized the fact that the guy was Castro's executioner and personally murdered hundreds and hundreds of people. I dont buy anything from the A-holes that glamorize that crap.

CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by A.FreeRadical
    Mike, I checked this out on the net. Several sites make the same claims. One webpage said it could be made in a filter type coffeemaker. I think I saw teabags for sale. The traditional way is as Citadel described above.

A.FreeRadical
    So did you up the amount of tea in your drink and try it again?

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by CitadelArmyJAG
    So did you up the amount of tea in your drink and try it again?

I am still working on the tea bags. It is strong as far as tea goes. I let it steep, squeeze out the bag and I only use the bag once. I have taken these to my work. The tea bags are more convenient there and that is where I drink mostly tea.

So... I don't think anyone answered... What benefit did you get from Yerba Mata?

aA.FreeRadical a
    Visit my 8 week cutting journal. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Went to a mexican grocey store and bought 2 pounds for 3.99 (loose leaf).

Now I've only been drinking it for a few days so I cant really comment on the health benifits, but I can say that the last two days I have had to force my self to eat and get enough calories. The stuff really cures my hunger pains. Now I like my coffee black and bitter same with my tea, strong taste had never been an issue but I must say that the traditional Yerba is NOT a taste bud pleaser,it is some thing that most people will have to get used to. So far I like what it is doing for me so far, I will keep people posted on the effects down the road.

Originally Posted by dyhp
    Went to a mexican grocey store and bought 2 pounds for 3.99 (loose leaf).

Now I like my coffee black and bitter same with my tea, strong taste had never been an issue but I must say that the traditional Yerba is NOT a taste bud pleaser,it is some thing that most people will have to get used to. So far I like what it is doing for me so far, I will keep people posted on the effects down the road.
    Good, now I am confident that people wont think I am exagerating about the STRONG taste that Mate has. It most definitely requires some getting used to. For everybody that has been PMing me about where to get it. Check your ethnic Latino grocery stores first. If you cant find it, there are tons of places online that sell it. Unfortunately, LOTS of them are complete rip offs, ie. 8 bucks for a bag of Mate. The best site I have fund thus far has a GREAT variety of everything Mate (yerba, bombillas, and mates.) The site is www.amigofoods.com Go to their Yerba Mate tab for their Mate page. If anybody finds any better sites go ahead and post them. By the way... I found two good sites on an EXPENSIVE mate website, the first one, http://www.yerbamate.com/Page.asp?ID=5, has general info about Mate, and the second one, http://www.yerbamate.com/Page.asp?ID=16, is all about how to prepare and drink the stuff.

dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50) dyhp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    also http://www.gauchogourmet.com/index.html has a good selection of yerba at good prices

lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i have a full bag of Guayki stashed in the kitchen, i used to drink it alot but the chuncks started to get on my nerves

Originally Posted by lucid
    i have a full bag of Guayki stashed in the kitchen, i used to drink it alot but the chuncks started to get on my nerves
    Chunks? What are you talking about?

jkygogo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Citadel or others, I have questions.

Hi, for this Guayaki Yerba Mate, can you please tell me what exactly I will need to get in order to use this tea? And how much to get? The 6 ounce bag? How do you brew it?
    Also, I just purchased the tea bags. Have you tried the tea bags and are they effective? Or do you not think they are as strong as the loose tea?

Thanks.

Basically, how would I get started? What exactly do I need and are the instructions written out?

Thanks.

J.

How do you drink Yerba Mate and what exactly do I need?

Hi, how do you drink Yerba Mate and what exactly do I need? Is there an all in one product I can buy with it all together so I can get started?

Thanks.

J.

perhonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jkygogo
    Hi, how do you drink Yerba Mate and what exactly do I need? Is there an all in one product I can buy with it all together so I can get started?

Thanks.

J.
    Hi, ok...well there are a few ways to make mate. The traditional way is in a mate cup and using a bombilla which is like a straw with a filter built into it so you don't get any of the tea leaves. First you want to get a good bag of tea leaves. I luckily have a really good tea shop nearby but I've seen many places online that you can get it also. There are many cups and bombilla's varying in price. If you don't want to buy these the tea can also be made in a french press or in a drip coffee maker. For the French press you add the leaves to the press ( i use a 2 cup press you can get one for about $20.00) I add about 2 tablespoons of tea to the bottom. Don't use boinling water, I usually let it cool to about 160 degrees. I pour the boiling water into a glass and let it cool for about 5 minutes. I was told to wet the leaves in the press with room temp water to not burn the leaves then I pour the heated water and let it brew for 4 minutes. I add water to that for the rest of the day. Those 2 tablespoons of leaves last all day. Or is you use a drip coffee maker you just make it as you would coffee. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

For anyone who has tried the Tea Bags, how do you feel about them?

For anyone who has tried the Tea Bags, how do you feel about them? Are they not as strong as the loose leaves? Or if you have tried them, are they a strong tea and just as strong or even stronger?

Thanks.

J.

lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Chunks? What are you talking about?
    I dont know what typoe you have, but mine isnt in a bag. I usually just throw in a teaspoon of it in there and drink it up.

oh and by the way, to anyone that is intersted buying it. You can find the Gyuaki brand in Whole Foods store.

Yerba Mate is that strong in that it lasts the whole day?

Hi, Yerba Mate is that strong in that 2 tablespoons can last you the whole day? Just keep pouring in water?

Also, has this helped you to lose weight?

Thanks.

J.

oh and by the way, to anyone that is intersted buying it. You can find the Gyuaki brand in Whole Foods store.
    The Gyuaki sold on their website is way overpriced. The cheapest source, with the most variety and everythign you need, is www.amigofoods.com. I found that last week and it looks to be the cheapest out there. If you find anything cheaper let me know, but I doubt it... It looks pretty solid

Hi, Yerba Mate is that strong in that 2 tablespoons can last you the whole day? Just keep pouring in water?

Thanks.

J.
    I dont use the 2 tablespoon method that you describe above. I prepare mate the traditional way, and it is the most powerful that way. To find out exactly how to prepare it, read the link on post #35. Let me know if you have any other questions.

perhonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks.

J.
    Hi, ok here is the deal. I was linked this site from someone for a totally different reason than bodybuilding. I happened to see this thread on yerba mate and since I have been using it for a few years and am a big tea drinker I had to post my opinions. I didn't drink this tea to lose weight but for other health reasons. It was recommended by a holistic doctor. I wasn't trying to lose weight so I can't give you any personal input on that. I will say that it definitely supressed my appetite though. I know a girl from Argentina that drinks it all day for weight. She swears by it.

For me the 2 tablespoons is strong enough. It is a pretty strong tasting tea. For weight loss you may want to try more. Depending on how you are going to make it. If you are going to buy the mate cup, you will use more that two tablespons. I used to drink it that way. When I use the french press, it is a small one about 12 oz. So I put in 2 heaping tablespoons and usually will use those same leaves about 4 times during the day. It does weaken a little bit by the 4th cup but it is supposed to stay just as effective. If you are going to make it in a drip coffee maker (which I've done) I would use a heaping tablepoon for each cup of water but you can adjust it to how you want it in strength.

I've never tried the teabags so I can't comment on those. I hope this explanation helps. Good Luck

illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by A.FreeRadical
    For $4.00, I am going to give it a try. If it is any good I am sure the U.S. government will ban it and I won't be able to use it (legally).

aA.FreeRadical a
    Visit my 8 week cutting journal. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697
    ROFLMAO... it's sooo true!!

illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10) illriginal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The Gyuaki sold on their website is way overpriced. The cheapest source, with the most variety and everythign you need, is www.amigofoods.com. I found that last week and it looks to be the cheapest out there. If you find anything cheaper let me know, but I doubt it... It looks pretty solid

Hey thanks for the link!... but which one do we choose, as far as bulk prices?I went to this link: http://store.amigofoods.com/crdemapr.html
    is this a good enough purchase = CRUZ DE MALTA Yerba Mate 1kg (2.2lb)
    Argentine Yerba Mate with Stems?

Organic stores are usually really expensive, and a tea bag just doesn’t have enough Mate in it to do much. You need to get the real stuff, which won’t taste as good as the teabag, but it will actually be real mate and will do something for you. Your best bet if you don’t want to buy it offline (which would by far be easiest) would to call around any Hispanic ethnic stores around where you live. If you are near a lot of immigrants, you will have an easier time of it. Mexican stores may have it, though they don’t drink Mate, for their customers from Paraguay, Uruguay, Southern Brazil, and Argentina. Try the phone book.
    As far as using the teabags, all I can do it tell you that usually people drink Mate with half to 3/4s of the cup filled with the yerba, and put water into it, and NOT the other way around (put a small amount of mate into the water.) I would use like 3 bags at once, though it still wont be as powerful. For you really to enjoy Mate and its benefits, I suggest getting the cup (called a mate,) the bombilla, and the yerba (Spanish for herb.) I googled Yerba Mate and got some really expensive places. The cheapest I found was http://store.amigofoods.com/yemapr.html . Check it out. I have never ordered from them before, but it looks good. It is in Miami, they have a listed phone number, and have been rated 4 ½ Stars (out of 5 assumedly) by a yahoo rating source… When I eventually run out, this is who I plan on buying from as of now, but hey… Feel free to surf the web to try to find something better.

Originally Posted by illriginal
    Hey thanks for the link!... but which one do we choose, as far as bulk prices?I went to this link: http://store.amigofoods.com/crdemapr.html
    is this a good enough purchase = CRUZ DE MALTA Yerba Mate 1kg (2.2lb)
    Argentine Yerba Mate with Stems?

Good Choice.... Cruz de Malta is my favorite brand... Cruz De Malta (Maltese Cross) is what the people in the grocery store told me was their favorite Mate back when I was in Buenos Aires.
    I read an awesome book a couple years ago about the Knights of Malta, who defended the island from 40,000 bloodthirsty Ottoman turks. The Knights, numbering only a couple thousand, were under siege for three months. The book was called The Great Siege, by Ernle Bradford, and it needs to be a damn movie… It’s the most exciting thing I have ever read. I heard that there is another good one about the same occurrence, called Angels in Iron. Anyway, it’s a bloody, exciting read if you are into it; it really makes the history come alive.

ANYWAY, BACK TO THE MATE… I have been to the Island of Malta, and I don’t think anything would grow on that rock, and I know the Maltese don’t drink the stuff. So, I guess the Argentines are paying homage to the Knights by naming their favorite food stuff, Mate, after them.

The stuff is good and strong, and you can buy a lot of it cheap. Nobleza is also a really good yerba, which I would recommend. They also sell Romace Mate, which I have tried. Its a bit more expensive and more bitter than the others, so I wouldnt recommend it. They have Mates (the gourd or wooden cups) and bombillas (the straws.) Check ebay, maybe you could get those things cheaper on there or another site. Post if you find any cheaper sources, but you should get them.

You could theoretically drink your yerba out of a anything that will hold water, but after spending so much time in South America, and after seeing how they have ritualized the damn stuff, I dont think I could ever bring myself to do it and still enjoy it. It just wouldnt look, feel, or sit right with me to drink the stuff out of a coffee mug. If you dont care, than be my guest and drink the stuff out of a shoe if you like.... You will, however, need a bombilla, as it isnt just a normal straw. It has a screen over the end to keep the yerba from being drawn up into your mouth when you drink.

Check out the links I posted in post #35 for how to prepare the mate, and to learn a little about it... If you are like me, once you get past the initial shock of how strong the taste is, and start to experience the benefits of it, you will be hooked, in which case you will be glad to have a nice bombilla and Mate. I have a couple of them, one is a gourd with a metal rim, another is a wooden cup wrapped in aluminum and hand tooled by an artisan. Those are all pretty typical...

I heat my water on the stove and throw it into a thermos to keep in nice and hot. I don’t put sugar in mine, though I have been thinking about trying some honey, which Mate drinkers have been known to do. Some people squeeze a lemon or an orange onto the yerba, but I havent tried that either. Lastly, lots of parents give mate to their children with hot milk, which I also havent tried.

A couple of big guys who drank the stuff in the gym in Buenos Aires would use a hot thermos and some would drink it with cold water. Either way, both people were doign the same, downing mate to get a big energy boost between sets. I have heated a pot of water with a screened strainer in the top filled with mate and then chilled it later to the gym after chilling it. It really worked will for me for an energy boost. I usually keep a water bottle next to it though, as it is a diuretic, so that element isnt ideal for drinking DURING your workout. Its a vascular and bronchi dialator, just like Ephedra HCl, and lots of asthmatics drink it for that reason. It is a great work out drink, just bring your water with it.

Most of the time, I make mine early in the morning and drink it all day long and then I dump it at night before I got to bed. Sometimes though, I will make a new infusion with fresh leaves in the late afternoon or after dinner. Its a good digestive agent and keeps me from getting hungry later on at night.

This is a long ass post.... I am done....

Just curious, how does it taste?

Hi, I'm curious as to the taste of Yerba Mate? Exactly what do you think it tastes like? Is it really bitter? Does it have a medicinal flavor?

Thanks.

J.

Hi, I'm curious as to the taste of Yerba Mate? Exactly what do you think it tastes like? Is it really bitter? Does it have a medicinal flavor?

Thanks.

J.
    I can't really describe it. It isnt bitter, just strong... It has its own flavor, which is not medicinal. It is just like a REALLY strong green tea maybe... I dont know. YOu have to taste it

yeah I asked my friend, she's Brazilian but she didn't call it Yerba Mate... she said something in portugues and then showed me a picture of a wooden cup with like a metal stand built into the cup with a bamboo type stick as a straw. She says it tastes a lot better with a wooden cup.

Giving souls to clones!!! miked512's Avatar
    miked512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) miked512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) miked512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) miked512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) miked512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) miked512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) miked512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) miked512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) miked512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) miked512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) miked512 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've tried it before and really liked it. Then again, I drink lots of tea anyway. I usually pick mine up from teavana or something of that nature.

As far as taste goes, I find mixing it with a peppermint tea or mate carnival works really well and is delightful. I've never tried it for medicinal purposes and the like. Well, and to stay awake to get tons of projects done. It is good though, very good.

It is a part of my daily green tea gallon requirements as well.
    "Imagination is the doorway to the Infinite. You begin by pondering what is supposedly unreal - then it becomes real."

From experience, how are the effects....

I know that for coffee the more you drink of it, the more of a tolerance you build up so you have to keep drinking more to get the same effect. In comparison, what do you think of Yerba Mate? From your posts it seems Yerba Mate doesn't have any of the bad effects. But can you build up a tolerance? or does this not come into play?

Thanks.

J.

Alright also my friend says that her siblings dont like it plain so her mom uses a few drops of honey to combat the original taste.

Originally Posted by illriginal
    Alright also my friend says that her siblings dont like it plain so her mom uses a few drops of honey to combat the original taste.
    Lots of people do put honey in their Mate. I know a lot of other people who will squeeze the juice of an orange or lemon into it too. Lots of parents give mate to their children made with hot milk in the place of hot water. I still have never tried it like that.

If one of you all tries that, let me know what its like....

So, can you build up a tolerance with Yerba mate like coffee?

Hi, so can you build up a tolerance like you can with coffee? Or does this not come into play? That would be great if a tolerance can't be built up with this.

Thanks.

J.