Thread: Chest routine

323mb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Chest routine

I'm 22 years old, 5'9, and I weigh 175 and I have been working out for 2 yrs now. I have been having difficulty developing my chest. Latley I have been doing chest once a week, but i find that when i do chest 2x a week, it responds much better. I prefer to do a 4 day or even a five day split to save time. Can anyone please help me with my split so that I can do chest 2x a week? Thanks

trev38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

make sure to rest

rest is the key to muscle growth. Your muscles repair themselves the next two till three days.........atleast. At best i would work chest say on a monday then possibly friday or saturday. For sure not earlier due to over working your chest.

Location: Uk, North East....You'll find me in the Freeweights section!!!!
    K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by trev38
    rest is the key to muscle growth. Your muscles repair themselves the next two till three days.........atleast. At best i would work chest say on a monday then possibly friday or saturday. For sure not earlier due to over working your chest.
    If he does that then he has only 1 or 2 days rest between the second workout and the first of the next week.

What exercises/sets/reps are you currently incorporating into your workouts?

Also what is your diet like?

K9.
    "Everybody want to be a bodybuilder........but dont nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight!....Lets go!!! i'll do it though!!" Ronnie Coleman.

"Thats about...............15........hundered, thats 35, 45lb plates...so its LIGHTWEIGHT BABY!!" Ronnie Coleman.

"Come on diesel, for the Mass!!!" Dorians training partner

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious" Albert Einstein.

Exclamation chest routine

Originally Posted by K9icular
    If he does that then he has only 1 or 2 days rest between the second workout and the first of the next week.

What exercises/sets/reps are you currently incorporating into your workouts?

Also what is your diet like?

K9.
    Currently, I am doing Chest on Monday
    4 sets of bench-reps include 10, 8, 6, 4
    3 sets of incline dumbells-reps include 10, 8, 8
    3 sets of flies-reps include 10, 8, 8
    3 sets of pushups-reps include 3 sets of 10

I would like to do chest 2x a week, I feel it works better for myself, I just need a good 4-5 day split that will allow me to do so.

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by 323mb

I would like to do chest 2x a week, I feel it works better for myself, I just need a good 4-5 day split that will allow me to do so.
    Replace the pushups with weighted dips and lean forward to target the chest. You weight 175, so doing a pushup is like benching 60 pounds which will do nothing for adding mass.

CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up chest workout!

Try this chest workout… First of all, ditch your bar. Using all dumbbells will strengthen valuable stabilizer muscles that usually wouldn’t get touched with the crummy bar. Remember that each exercise is designed to affect a certain part of the chest… make sure you get it all covered by including different types of exercises to mix up the stimulus. A good idea is to pair up your sets and switch back and forth each set. This allows your muscles a little more time to rest before you go to your next same-type set without slowing up your workout. You will be stronger when hitting your second set, as you will have had more than just the 30 seconds rest between sets. Go up in weights every sets, and Make Sure that you have reached muscle failure at the end of each of your 3rd and 4th set.
    Here is what I do, and it works great…. Do this, get 3 days rest and then hit it again every week. Get lots of sleep, get a good growth diet, and pound the water to keep hydrated and you will soon have a big barrel chest
    capable of bench pressing small automobiles.

4 sets of Dumbell Incline, 10 x 10 x 8 x 6
    4 sets of Incline dumbbell fly, 10 x 10x 8 x 6 remember to alternate sets!

3 sets dumbbell flat, 10 x 8 x 6
    3 sets of dumbbell fly, 10 x 10 x 6

If your gym has a decline bench, do 3 sets of dumbbell flies and flies same as the above…

3 sets of dumbbell pullovers while you lie flat on the bench with a heavy ass dumbbell…
    Alternated if you want, by pushups, where you shouldn’t limit yourself to a number, but go until failure in each of the three sets. That will fully exhaust your chest, assuming your pushups are done properly and you aren’t utilizing your triceps more than your chest. Keep your arms out parallel to your body (like a T) to avoid this. Let me know if you like it!

xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

you should be using progressively heavier weight with your routine. If you arnt seeing results, i suggest finish your routine throughout the week and take 9-12 days off. Find some new exercises/routines and hopefully you will get some good gains.

Originally Posted by CitadelArmyJAG
    Try this chest workout… First of all, ditch your bar. Using all dumbbells will strengthen valuable stabilizer muscles that usually wouldn’t get touched with the crummy bar. Remember that each exercise is designed to affect a certain part of the chest… make sure you get it all covered by including different types of exercises to mix up the stimulus. A good idea is to pair up your sets and switch back and forth each set. This allows your muscles a little more time to rest before you go to your next same-type set without slowing up your workout. You will be stronger when hitting your second set, as you will have had more than just the 30 seconds rest between sets. Go up in weights every sets, and Make Sure that you have reached muscle failure at the end of each of your 3rd and 4th set.
    Here is what I do, and it works great…. Do this, get 3 days rest and then hit it again every week. Get lots of sleep, get a good growth diet, and pound the water to keep hydrated and you will soon have a big barrel chest
    capable of bench pressing small automobiles.

4 sets of Dumbell Incline, 10 <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=x%2010" onmouseover="window.status='x 10'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">x 10</a> x 8 x 6
    4 sets of Incline dumbbell fly, 10 x 10x 8 x 6 remember to alternate sets!

3 sets dumbbell flat, 10 x 8 x 6
    3 sets of dumbbell fly, 10 x 10 x 6

If your gym has a <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=decline%20bench" onmouseover="window.status='decline bench'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">decline bench</a>, do 3 sets of dumbbell flies and flies same as the above…

3 sets of dumbbell pullovers while you lie flat on the bench with a heavy ass dumbbell…
    Alternated if you want, by pushups, where you shouldn’t limit yourself to a number, but go until failure in each of the three sets. That will fully exhaust your chest, assuming your pushups are done properly and you aren’t utilizing your triceps more than your chest. Keep your arms out parallel to your body (like a T) to avoid this. Let me know if you like it!
    So do you do this every week or every 3 days? And what do you do with Chest?

jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    a pretty good high intensity chest routine i have done is this:

Flat BB press compounded with cable flyes
    Incline smith press compounded with push ups to failure
    L/F dips compounded with flat db flyes

yesterday i did a high volume workout:

bb incline - 5 x 10,6,6,6,8
    db flat - 5 x 6-8
    l/f dips - 5 x 6-8
    machine flyes - 3 x 12
    strip set - load the bar with 25s and go to failure, removing a 25 each time until you get to the bar and then do that to failure...im hurtin today.
    M.S. Sport Management (in progress)
    B.S. Kinesiology
    http://bodybuilding.com/fun/jonpaul.htm

chest routine

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully it will pay off. Anyone do chest 2x a week? Or does everyone do it 1x a week?

jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jpdn83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i tried hitting chest twice a week the last couple weeks...i did flat and decline movements on monday and incline movements on friday. after the first week all of my lifts went up but starting this week i feel as though my chest may have been overtrained b/c it felt fatigued, so i am gonna go back to once a week and just hit it hard. i was using high volume though, so if you do it twice i would advise cutting your sets to maybe 6-9 per session. good luck
    M.S. Sport Management (in progress)
    B.S. Kinesiology
    http://bodybuilding.com/fun/jonpaul.htm

bookofrhymes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bookofrhymes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Chest...

If you were to workout your chest 2x a week, this is what I would do...
    Take a Recovery supplement like L-Glutamine...

WO1:
    Bench press 4 x 6
    Incline 4 x 6
    Push Press/Decline 4 x 6

WO2:
    Dumbell Flat Bench 4 x 6
    Dumbell Incline 4 x 6
    Pec Deck 4 x 8-10

WO1 is more of the heavy stuff that will really work your chest out your entire chest, and WO2 is more for like the stabelizer muscles and toning.

Remember to take the recovery before bed so you can be rested for your next chest workout. I would also recommend Chest on Monday, Friday...so you will have 3 days of recovery from the heavy lifting, and then 2 days of recovery on the lighter stuff.

PS: Also remember to kill your triceps when you workthem out, and your lats...those will increase your bench which will make your chest more productive when you do use it...
    Pain is Temporary...
    Pride is Forever...

"Sleep, Eat, Workout...Let it go"

chest routine

Originally Posted by bookofrhymes21
    If you were to workout your chest 2x a week, this is what I would do...
    Take a Recovery supplement like L-Glutamine...

WO1:
    Bench press 4 x 6
    Incline 4 x 6
    Push Press/Decline 4 x 6

WO2:
    Dumbell Flat Bench 4 x 6
    Dumbell Incline 4 x 6
    Pec Deck 4 x 8-10

WO1 is more of the heavy stuff that will really work your chest out your entire chest, and WO2 is more for like the stabelizer muscles and toning.

Remember to take the recovery before <a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=Bed">bed</a> so you can be rested for your next chest workout. I would also recommend Chest on Monday, Friday...so you will have 3 days of recovery from the heavy lifting, and then 2 days of recovery on the lighter stuff.

PS: Also remember to kill your triceps when you workthem out, and your lats...those will increase your bench which will make your chest more productive when you do use it...
    Ok I need a simple answer. Should I do chest once a week or 2x a week? It seems that when people do it 2x a week they begin to get fatigued, so should i just work it out hard once a week even though in the past i have found that working it out 2x a week, i felt as if i had more of a chest.

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do chest mon and thur.

Mon: Flat bench - 5x5
    Flyes - 4x10

Thur: Incline bench - 10, 8, 6, 6, 6
    Pec Deck - 4x10

I do it with back, and do arms another day.
    It is my unfounded feeling that different exercises aid recovery as different muscle fibers are stressed at different levels.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm 22 years old, 5'9, and I weigh 175 and I have been working out for 2 yrs now. I have been having difficulty developing my chest. Latley I have been doing chest once a week, but i find that when i do chest 2x a week, it responds much better. I prefer to do a 4 day or even a five day split to save time. Can anyone please help me with my split so that I can do chest 2x a week? Thanks
    There is nothing wrong with emphasizing a bodypart.

Try:
    Monday: Chest
    Tues: Back/shoulders
    wed: off
    Thur: Chest/arms
    Fri: Legs