Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    TheBigVtron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheBigVtron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheBigVtron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheBigVtron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheBigVtron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheBigVtron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheBigVtron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheBigVtron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheBigVtron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheBigVtron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheBigVtron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by MSmith19 View Post
    It's worse for your back to use the bar..
    Arnold used to have guys sit on hit back when he couldn't get enough weight on the bar, I doubt this dude is going to hurt his back with the weight he is going to use. Might as well say don't do heavy squats or deads, you might hurt you back.

Go big or go home. Or stay small and lift small... whatever.
    Who wants small abs where it looks like you have a flat woman's stomach instead of manly ripples?
    -sirwazzles

Bringing back Neanderthal MSmith19's Avatar
    MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TheBigVtron View Post
    Because you can't get 840 lbs. on your back. That is why. Calf Raises are jokes... no one goes heavy on them because it's useless in most cases (except to shock the muscle)! Full range of motion is what makes calves calves. Calves were built to respond to endurance things like running and walking and supporting you when you stand. Lifting big weights is nothing compared to running 12 miles when it comes to your calves.

They're like, "Big weights? Psssh. My range of motion is too small and I too strong to succumb to the likes of these bitchs! Iron is nothing compared to the sinewy flesh that I am composed of!" Then you switch to 5x15, and they say, "That's more like it laddy! Time to respond and become bigger because that's what calves do! THEY SUPPORT YOU THROUGH ENDURANCE!"
    Let me ask: how do you know that calves respond better to high reps? Calves respond better to running than weighttraining? Don't think so bud.
    5'10.5
    175lbs
    10% BF

MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSmith19 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Arnold used to have guys sit on hit back when he couldn't get enough weight on the bar, I doubt this dude is going to hurt his back with the weight he is going to use. Might as well say don't do heavy squats or deads, you might hurt you back.

Go big or go home. Or stay small and lift small... whatever.
    ..This guy isn't using a squat rack to do them. Whatever the case- 840lbs on the average persons back is going to compress their discs.

Ironic: stay small and lift small (says the guy who does light 5x15 calf raises).
    5'10.5
    175lbs
    10% BF

ThunderBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThunderBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wait so you dont take a step back or anything right? As soon as you lift off you start lifting. Sorry got confused there for a second.

Originally Posted by ThunderBay View Post
    Wait so you dont take a step back or anything right? As soon as you lift off you start lifting. Sorry got confused there for a second.
    Are you using a machine or just the squat rack?
    5'10.5
    175lbs
    10% BF

ThunderBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThunderBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    oh and for most peoples information, since I was a fat kid, my calves once again have a terrible time to respond. I can run, well I cant run really, I can walk forever, and they wont hurt. Like when I say they dont respond, I mean nothing at all no matter wut I do. I can probably do every exercise in the book, every day, and I wont feal soar the next day or anything.

So I have to lift heavy and hard, the standing calf machine really helps with that, and I feal a much better workout after going heavy with those, then with anything else I have ever tried.

Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bigshayet View Post
    Wait...your telling me you put 840 on your shoulders...on a bar....and started doing raises?!

I need to lift more...
    nah, u just need to lie more. if the original poster put that weight on his shoulders, his knees would buckle and it would crush him like a WORM.
    LET ALONE doing a calf raise with it., an interesting fantasy none the less.
    meh

man I will get a video, or at least try. And if you dont think the average man can handle 840 your missing something man.

Also I injured my knee and it is been feeling better for about 8 months now, so if anyone would have knees buckling it would be me on this exercise.
    Last edited by ThunderBay; 08-02-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thaigga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've never done a rack lockout, I actually just looked it up haha, how hard is it to do, and to all the other guys above, whats another way to workout my calves? They are not very responsive, and im now getting the soarness and tiredness like before. I try and hammer them out really really hard (usually consists of standing calf raises and sitting. Dont really wanna do donkey calf raises or whatever they are called.)

Any other ways that you guys can recommend will help me. Thanks.
    rack lockouts -done at knee lvl- are for strengthening your lockout for the deadlift. I can do maybe 40-50 pounds more then my max dead. 400 felt solid and came up smooth in about a second. Im pretty sure i can get 410 or 420 but thats pushing my luck
    275lb atg front squat / 235lb paused bench (in comp) / 445lb Conventional Deadlift using mixed grip/chalk/belt (in comp) / Deadlift-425x3 using a hook grip + chalk / BP low-bar back squat 335x2 & 315x4 & 350x1 (in comp)

A tree with a thin trunk can only make branches so big -me

Won 1st place at my first powerlifting comp!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!1

kneedamage is just really nice. (+1000) kneedamage is just really nice. (+1000) kneedamage is just really nice. (+1000) kneedamage is just really nice. (+1000) kneedamage is just really nice. (+1000) kneedamage is just really nice. (+1000) kneedamage is just really nice. (+1000) kneedamage is just really nice. (+1000) kneedamage is just really nice. (+1000) kneedamage is just really nice. (+1000) kneedamage is just really nice. (+1000)
    thunder, calf machine isnt as effective for me either,and i dont believe you did 800, but even if you did, the machines all varyon how much weight they actually are. I was born with vertical tallus, a deformation of my ankle/foot bones, and i had reconstructive surgery, but i lost some range of motion, i cant go as high as normal people on my toes, its fairly close, but not super high. My calves are also smaller, because of this im guessing, when i started doing my calf raises on a leg press, my calves really responded. I do two machines, leg press calf raises, you just put your toes on the end of the pad and lift. or that calf raise seat you put the weight on. Works well, responds well.

The machine goes up to 300 pounds then you add extra plates. Ill try the leg press machine one, thanks for the help.

Haha i dont know why no one believes me, I didnt find it very hard. I also got something like 17 1/2 inch calves to, that was before working out, not even remotly close to my arm size.

Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Because you can't get 840 lbs. on your back. That is why. Calf Raises are jokes... no one goes heavy on them because it's useless in most cases (except to shock the muscle)! Full range of motion is what makes calves calves. Calves were built to respond to endurance things like running and walking and supporting you when you stand. Lifting big weights is nothing compared to running 12 miles when it comes to your calves.

They're like, "Big weights? Psssh. My range of motion is too small and I too strong to succumb to the likes of these bitchs! Iron is nothing compared to the sinewy flesh that I am composed of!" Then you switch to 5x15, and they say, "That's more like it laddy! Time to respond and become bigger because that's what calves do! THEY SUPPORT YOU THROUGH ENDURANCE!"

If that were true, marathon runners would have enormous calves.
    Distance running wont do squat for your calves.

Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scaglietti will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    man I will get a video, or at least try. And if you dont think the average man can handle 840 your missing something man.
    erm no, the average man could not hold 840lbs on their shoulders, it would kill them.
    and until you post a vid, stfu.
    meh

dony1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up its a good number

its not bad for you bro i put on 500kg standing calf raise machine thats 1102.31 pounds.I love it because it prevents injury on my lower back.

LiftingFunk96 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't have a ton of experience, but I wanted to weigh in. I have 16 inch calves and I cannot handle more than about 200 lbs on the standing machine without feeling like my lower back is about to buckle, but maybe you have stronger back muscles to keep yours in line. I have had the best experience as far as feel afterwards doing the seated calf raise and doing the calf press on the leg press machine. If it doesn't bother your back to lift that much standing I say go for it. Happy lifting and congrats on the PR!

hardgainer57 hardgainer57 hardgainer57 hardgainer57 hardgainer57 hardgainer57 hardgainer57 hardgainer57 hardgainer57 hardgainer57 hardgainer57
    ya so I just got back from the gym and I thought I would tell you guys I hit a new personal record on the standing calf raise.

Old record was 660 x 8

New record is ......... 840 x 4!!!!!!!

P.S. What is the wight on a EZ Bar, I dont know if it was olympic or not, it was fairly curvy, and had the same ends as a olympic bar.
    lmao you PR'ed on calf raises...SMH dude get some help