cbrown-29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Any one taking Depakote??

I have been having taking depakote for my seizures for four years. Since I have been on it I have gained a stubborn 20lbs that will not go away. I am 5'3" and 140lbs. I go to the gym 4 times a week and jump rope for about 20 minutes in intervals and lift weights for about 40 minutes rotating different muscle groups for different days. I also moutain bike at least once a week. Yet I still dont feel like myself. I cant fit into my cloths and I have a belly. Is anyone else having these issues? Any suggestions??

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by cbrown-29 View Post
    I have been having taking depakote for my seizures for four years. Since I have been on it I have gained a stubborn 20lbs that will not go away. I am 5'3" and 140lbs. I go to the gym 4 times a week and jump rope for about 20 minutes in intervals and lift weights for about 40 minutes rotating different muscle groups for different days. I also moutain bike at least once a week. Yet I still dont feel like myself. I cant fit into my cloths and I have a belly. Is anyone else having these issues? Any suggestions??
    Although I do not take the medications and therefore do not have the same issues I am familiar with the medication and that it can cause hunger, lethargy and weight gain as side effects [and that it can also cause drowsiness and make you feel 'sluggish' and 'not yourself'].....

So I hope that I can ask some questions and make some suggestions...??

And my first line of question for you would be --> What / how much are you eating?
    do you know your calorie intake?
    do you know what macro intake you have?
    do you track your diet/ use online journal systems?
    what level are you aiming for?

Then my second --> What do you do when you are NOT in the gym?
    do you do seated work most days?
    are you relatively active OUT of the gym?

Reason being is that although you may be active IN the gym (4 x a week in the gym doing intervals and weights) in order to remove extra weight it all comes back to trying to create a calorie deficiency - and all that comes back down to 'calories in' (that is, your diet) v's calories out (that is, your gym activities in combination with your activities of daily living)....

So - if what you are eating every day is more than what you are burning through your gym and your daily life - then you will not lose weight.

So my first suggestion to you would be - double (triple) check your diet. Make sure you know roughly how many calories you are eating and that it is at the right level. Then make sure that you are hitting your requirements for the macronutrients too (specifically - your protein and healthy fats). Then make sure you get all your fibre, vitamins and minerals too. If this is NOT correct - then this would be the first thing you would need to do.

If this is in order - then double check your energy output... if you are relatively INACTIVE out of the gym (eg: if you have a desk job) - then it may just be that your time in the gym is not making up for the time you sit on your butt out of the gym... So it might just be a case of 'do a little more' where you can (eg: try to get in more activity during your day or add some more cardio).

I eat as healthy as I can usually some Kashi for breakfast about 6 small meals throughout the day like a yogurt raw carrots a serving of fruit some simple carbs and then a stew that contains meat and vegetables. I have a very active job I am an x-ray tech at a very fast paced hospitol which requires me to be on my feet throughout the day. I probably have about 1400 calories a day which I think is pretty good? I really try I am very sick of this I have been very active since I was 18 and I have never stopped but this damn medication makes me want to eat CHEESE!!! EWWW usually when I get home from work around 10pm, I work the swing shift which makes it easier for me to go to the gym in the morning giving me energy throughout the day. I feel like I cant control it. I have been trying for years to take control of this medication I do not want it to have control over me. But is it worth it to have another siezure? Not on my watch. I feel like I am addicted to cheese ever since I started this medication and it is making me fat. What can I do to get over this addiction because that is exactly what it is and it is the Depakote that makes me crave it.

gym_girly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym_girly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym_girly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym_girly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym_girly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym_girly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym_girly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym_girly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym_girly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym_girly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gym_girly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm very familiar with depakote, my son has epilepsy. Are you drinking enough water though out the day? When my son was on depakote he craved certain foods also.

Finding my Potential empresscat's Avatar
    empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your overall diet sounds very low in fat - and that may be why you are craving cheese. Try adding good fats (nuts, olive oil, avocados) to your diet throughout the day and see if that helps.

1400 calories is a bit low for someone so active.

Try tracking your diet through www.fitday.com to be sure you're getting enough protein and fats.

2muchbackend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2muchbackend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2muchbackend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I never took it but my sis in law did and she gained alot of weight she took it for headaches. Maybe discuss the weight gain with your Dr.
    Carrie

Tiffkuhn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Yes, but not anymore....

I took Depakote, but had to stop because it made me gain weight, and I was loosing hair (I could pull it out in small handfuls). I am now on abilify and it helps without the weight gain and other side effects.

What were you taiking it for??

Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightfly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cbrown-29 View Post
    Hey, I have been on depakote for a longtime and I think it has helped me gain fat.

poxyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) poxyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) poxyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) poxyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) poxyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) poxyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) poxyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) poxyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) poxyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) poxyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) poxyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Weight gain is pretty common with Depakote. I took it as a teen (was prescribed off label for mood control). I gained 20lbs pretty quickly with no change in my eating habits or physical activity, and as soon as I stopped taking it I lost the weight almost as quickly as it went on. Have a discussion with your neurologist about your concerns and see if they have anything that may be as effective without the weight worries. Good luck!
    Professional rabble rouser.
    Mother.
    Living with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and Fibro.
    A work in progress, but aren't we all?