b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice needed on training program

Hey everyone. Well I just got my rack system yesterday and the weights should be in by the beginning of next week.
    I'm at about 170lbs right now but it is probably all fat, small amounts of muscle. I haven't lifted in a while, and trying to get at it, and get into shape as I have the equipment now in the comfort of my own home.
    Now I have a rack system with a chinup bar, bench included with regular, incline, and decline positions, leg curl attachment, and arm curl attachment, so I think I should be definitely headed in the right direction.

My goal is not to be a competing bodybuilder or even that, that huge. I just want to gain muscle, gain strength, get rid of fat, just nice and cut, and get some abs. I'll see if I can borrow a digi cam and get a picture of me up. I believe my classification of body type, I'm not sure which one it is, but my body is those that gain weight quickly, lose weight quickly, and get results quickly, (at least tha's what I was told) endomorph is it?? The already big boned/structure body type. It doesn't seem like I weight too much, 170lbs. is really nothing, but I hate the way my body looks, out of proportion, etc.

I want to try in these next 5 months by June, make a big difference, and get some nice results. I am going to be taking Labrada's Low Carb Lean Body protein shake, and I have SAN Tight for fatburning.

I really need help with what exercises to do, reps/sets etc. as I am clueless. I will be posting in the dieting forum so I can get a strict diet while on this exercise program. I really do want to change my habits.

I truly appreciate the help in advance. Thanks everyone.

EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I suggest doing a three day a week full body routine if you are just starting out.

b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) b18c1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I use to lift, but nothing major. Just a little weights here and there, but I definitely got really weak now. 3 days a week sounds good.

Anybody else with suggestions on what exercises, how many sets/reps to do.

Thanks.

Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I got two for ya. Here is a 3 day split I posted a little while ago and I've been getting positive feedback via PMs about it. It's very basic:

Day 1: Chest/Tricep/Shoulder

Bench press: 2 sets 8-12 reps
    Weighted dips: 2 sets 8-12 reps
    Military press or front press: 2 sets 8-12 reps
    Skullcrushers: 2 sets 12-15 reps
    Abs: weighted crunches 2 sets 12-15 reps

Day 2: Back/Bicep/Forearm

Deadlifts: 2 sets 6-10 reps
    Pull ups or pulldowns: 2 sets 8-12 reps or to failure
    Barbell curl: 2 sets 8-12 reps
    Hammer curls: 1 set of 12-15 reps
    Abs: Leg raises with weight 2 sets 12-15 reps

Day 3: Quads/Hamstrings/Calves

Squats: 2 sets 8-12 reps
    Leg press: 2 sets 8-12 reps
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 2 sets 12-15 reps
    Seated calf press: 2 sets 8-12 reps
    Abs: Ab machine 2 sets 12-15 reps

Here's a full body routine you could try if you dont like the above. This can be done 3 days a week also:

Squats: 2 sets
    Stiff Legged Deadlift: 2 sets
    Bench press: 2 sets
    Bent Over Rows: 2 sets
    Pull ups: 2 sets
    Military press: 2 sets
    Calf press: 2 sets
    Abs: weighted crunches 2 sets

Obviously there are many variations. But you want to keep the core lifts in there. Those being heavy benches, squats, deadlifts and presses.

Also some changes might have to be made based on equipment available. But as long as you have barbells, dumbells, a rack and enough weight you can do a lot. You dont need a bunch of fancy machines.

BTW the body type you were referring to, I think, is mesomorph. This type of person would tend to gain muscle easily while keeping the bodyfat low. And endomorph would also gain fairly quickly, though not as fast as a meso, but would also tend to put on bodyfat easily. Or, you could be a combination of the to. It is rare to find a pure mesomorph.
    My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over...

Gollum, thank you!!

I appreciate it.

I will try the 3 day split. Looks nice, I'm trying to get som real nice results in a fair amount of time.

Gollum: Is it okay to do my 3 day split Mon/Wed/Fri?
    Saturday and Sunday off?

All I have to work with is the chinup bar, bench, barbell/weights, and dumbbelss of course, arm curl bench, and leg curl. So i gotta look up some of those 3 day split exercises to see if it is possible. Thank You once again. I really appreciate it.

Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gollum will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Mon-Wed-Fri with Sat/Sun off is probably ideal. You can do moderate cardio on the days you dont lift. Perhaps 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes. This will help keep you lean and shouldnt hinder your muscle gains.

Based on your equipment and the routine you selected here are some suggestions.

Dips: If you do not have dip bars, some racks do, you can do bench dips instead with a weight on your lap. Here's how you do them:

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/...nims/bdips.htm

Leg press: You can use your leg attachment for another quad movement. Or, you could just concentrate on your squats.

Seated calf press: These can easily be done by sitting on a bench and placing a loaded bar on your legs just behind the knee.

The other exercises shouldn't be a problem since all you need are bars and benches. And guts.

You should try to increase your weights, reps or both at every workout. Even if it's in small increments. When you top out on an exercise its time to swap that out for a new one.

I dont want to clobber you with too much info at once so I'll leave it at that. If you would like more information post any questions you may have. If I cant answer them Im sure someone else can.
    My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over...

Thanks once again for the reply.

So increasing weights or reps would be ideal at every workout meaning Mon/Wed/Fri? or whenever I start a new week?

And topping out on an exercise would that be when I don't start seeing any more improvement on my body from that particular exercise?

Thanks.

Bump

Yes the goal should always be to add weight to the bar. Progressive poundages in good form will get you where you want to go. When you first get started you will most likely be able to make dramatic jumps on the "Big" exercises. It is not unusual for people to add 20,30 or more pounds to their squat or deadlift in the beginning. Always in good form of course and keeping safety in mind. Train hard but train smart.

On other exercises you may not be able to make increases like that. Biceps for example.Its not likely you will add 20+lbs a week to the bar. You may be able to add 10 for a little while, and then maybe just a 2.5 each side. Thats fine! As long as you are making progress keep at it.

Eventually you will reach a point where you simply cant add any more weight to the bar without your reps dipping too low or sacrificing form and getting sloppy. This has to happen or soon you would be benching 500lbs for reps. I dont really go by improvement in the body, I go by the weight. When the weights stop going up its time to change that exercise for something else. For example, lets take the bench press. Assume you can currently bench 135 for 10 perfect reps. After a few weeks of training you can now do 185, a big jump to be sure. So you keep at it and get to 205 but only for 8. Now you start scratching and clawing your way up in weight, maybe 5lbs at a time. Grabbing an extra rep when you can. So you make it to 225 for 7 and you cant get past it. If you add weight, you go down to 5 reps. Thats ok for a week or two but then its time to move on. So you go to another good chest exercise, like incline presses, weighted dips or decline DBS and work on getting brutally strong on that.

That doesnt mean you cant ever go back to benching. Of course you can. There isnt an infinte number of result producing exercises after all. So after you go through say 2-3 new exercises you can go back to bench. When you go back you might have lost a little strength since your body has to get used to that exercises. A little, but probably not much. Soon you will be back to your old poundages and beyond.
    Last edited by Gollum; 01-05-2005 at 01:42 PM.

Oh okay I get it now. So once i start improving weight it's fine, but once my reps start to get lower and such, time to get onto a new exercise and get strong at that right?

Thanks.

Please critique my diet: Thanks.

Breakfast: Oatmeal, 6 egg whites, 1 low fat yogurt

Lunch: Tuna on whole wheat bread, banana, some almonds

Pre Workout meal: Grilled chicken, w/ sweet potato, cauliflower

Post workout meal: Labrada Low Carb Lean Body protein mix meal replacement.

Dinner: Shrimp or Salmon or Steak, w/ brown rice, carrots

Before Bed: FF cottage cheese, 1 tbls PB

That is about 6 meals. Now it was kind of difficult to come up with a plan, Again I'm trying to build muscle, lose fat, just get nice and toned, cut/defined. I'm not looking to become really huge, but big and nice nonetheless, so I know my protein intake has to be high.

Thanks

PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhearaZer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by b18c1
    Please critique my diet: Thanks.

Breakfast: Oatmeal, 6 egg whites, 1 low fat yogurt

Lunch: Tuna on whole wheat bread, banana, some almonds

Pre Workout meal: Grilled chicken, w/ sweet potato, cauliflower

Post workout meal: Labrada Low Carb Lean Body protein mix meal replacement.

Dinner: Shrimp or Salmon or Steak, w/ brown rice, carrots

Before Bed: FF cottage cheese, 1 tbls PB

That is about 6 meals. Now it was kind of difficult to come up with a plan, Again I'm trying to build muscle, lose fat, just get nice and toned, cut/defined. I'm not looking to become really huge, but big and nice nonetheless, so I know my protein intake has to be high.

Thanks
    that doesn't look too bad. since you probably have a high BF% you'll get plenty of fat from your own fat stores. you may want to get rid of the PB before bed. whenever i have peanut butter b4 bed i wake up feeling a little fatter for some reason. if you're trying to tone up i wouldn't recommend it. my suggestion to you for your diet figures would be... for every pound of lean mass... 1g protein, 1g carbs, .1g fat. if you're looking to cut up a bit that wouldn't be too bad. good luck bro!
    --peace

Thanks man!

Glad I have a set diet now.