ryanbiankowski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Lactose Intolerance - Troubling Building Muscle

Hey everyone,

Had a question for you. From about 15-22 I was lactose intolerant. I worked out somewhat, lost a bunch of weight but could never gain any muscle no matter what I did. It could have been because of malnutrition, but I want to put that aside for a minute. Do you think that because Whey Protein is found primarily in dairy, and the fact that I wasn't supplementing with protein or eating other types of food protein, that it could be a reason why I had a hard time building muscle.

The reason for asking is I have just recently got back into trying to building muscle. I am about 175, 6 foot tall with 15 percent body fat. Has anyone gone through this or have experience with protein / lactose intolerant related lifestyles.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Black7Magick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Black7Magick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Black7Magick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Black7Magick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Black7Magick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Black7Magick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Black7Magick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Black7Magick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Black7Magick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Black7Magick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Black7Magick has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you don't have enough protein in your diet you won't be able to gain muscle. Whether or not it's whey protein is irrelevant.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Bro, you need to figure out your TDEE and make sure you ingest MORE calories than that. I think it is time you began counting calories.

As for lactose intolerance, it is nothing other than an excuse. You can get adequate protein from whole foods like beef, poultry, fish, etc.

Even if you desired to buy protein powder, you can still do that - just you cannot buy whey CONCENTRATE. Rather, you would need to pay a little more for whey ISOLATE.

Appreciate the advice. My TDEE is 2,600 and my BMR is 1,800.

mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ryanbiankowski View Post
    Appreciate the advice. My TDEE is 2,600 and my BMR is 1,800.
    So, add 10-20% to that as a starting point. If you gain too fast, reduce it a bit. If you aren't gaining enough, increase it.

Now go eat something!
    Beginner routines commonly suggested:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167958293

2StepsFromHell will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2StepsFromHell will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2StepsFromHell will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2StepsFromHell will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2StepsFromHell will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2StepsFromHell will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2StepsFromHell will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2StepsFromHell will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2StepsFromHell will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2StepsFromHell will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2StepsFromHell will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm also lactose intolerant OP. I ditched protein powders a long ass time ago cause they absolutely tore me up. I'm still a skinny *******, but when I started I was only about 145lbs. Up to 170 now. It's just takes a long time. Stick with it dude.

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    Bro, you need to figure out your TDEE and make sure you ingest MORE calories than that. I think it is time you began counting calories.

As for lactose intolerance, it is nothing other than an excuse. You can get adequate protein from whole foods like beef, poultry, fish, etc.

Even if you desired to buy protein powder, you can still do that - just you cannot buy whey CONCENTRATE. Rather, you would need to pay a little more for whey ISOLATE.
    Thanks for the info on whey isolate. I'm gonna look into it. Also what's TDEE?

The problem is, I am self-taught. Slowly making a few friends at the gym that are experienced but I never did any lifting in high school. I'm interested in what has worked for others, in terms of protein intake, certain tips with lifting for mass as well. It's tough to get the protein recommended but I know it's possible.

thanks man, I know it's a process about consistency and dedication more than anything. just looking to optimize my journey, congrats on the success you're having!

Originally Posted by 2StepsFromHell View Post
    I'm also lactose intolerant OP. I ditched protein powders a long ass time ago cause they absolutely tore me up. I'm still a skinny *******, but when I started I was only about 145lbs. Up to 170 now. It's just takes a long time. Stick with it dude.

Thanks for the info on whey isolate. I'm gonna look into it. Also what's TDEE?

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ryanbiankowski View Post
    The problem is, I am self-taught. Slowly making a few friends at the gym that are experienced but I never did any lifting in high school. I'm interested in what has worked for others, in terms of protein intake, certain tips with lifting for mass as well. It's tough to get the protein recommended but I know it's possible.
    There are a lot of youtube videos that show proper form on exercises. I suggest paying attention to the ones that cause most injuries, namely deadlifts, squat, and maybe lat pulldown.

As for protein intake, this is a range issue. You will hear all kinds of ranges as being mandatory and optimal. I still think a good rule of thumb which is simple to figure out is to try and get about 1 gram protein per pound of body weight. You weigh 175 pounds, so try and eat enough meat to ingest 175 grams of protein per day.