Page 11 of 122 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast
    JimboJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for clearing that up Eileen. Nice to be able to ditch the "no food (except cottage cheese) after 9pm" mantra

Keto Q's I can't find answers to- I HAVE looked, honest.

Guys, been searching for the answers to a couple of Q's on all message boards and FAQ pages. Found some info on some of them, but not all the info I need... Can anyone help?

1) Do you NEED to be in keto to be losing fat over muscle tissue? Or is it like a fast lane? I've been on the diet for 5 days but can't seem to get into keto. Am just wondrin' if the last 5 days have been a big fat waste of time or if they will have had some positive effect.

2) I read in a lot of the forums that your pre-WO drink should contain carbs, which don't count towards your keto-count (is this correct?). I've been using gaspari superpump 250 on personal recommendation... But could this be what's stopping me entering keto?

3) I've been having one ON Whey protein shake (23g Pro) after each workout... This is ok right? Some postings recommend pro-peptide? Should I kit meself out with some of this stuff instead?

4) Finally, this being my first week on the diet, I should skip my first carb up and push on through til the second Friday. That is right, yeah?

[Additional info to help you answer these Q's: Am 5'7", start-weight: 74Kg, Start BF: 13%]

Any and all advice greatrly appreciated. Thanks guys - JJ

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yes, keep doing keto until you've done two clear weeks.

On keto, you normally don't take a pre-workout shake of any sort. Normal keto food all the time except for one whey and dextrose shake after lifting. 30g whey and 15g dex is a good starting point. Keep it simple.

If you've been taking some carb based drink before the gym, then that could affect ketosis.

But if you are eating below maintenance, then you are cutting regardless of whether you are in ketosis or not. Focus on the diet and the workouts, and let the details work themselves out.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

Red face

Eileen, you're a legend. Thanks. This forum is a great source of support and advice. I really appreciate the time you have given to answering my Q's. You're very patient.

While I'm here, I have a couple more:

1) I know I shouldn't overdo the cheese, but it is convenient in that its ratio of protein to fat is just about perfect. I've been wolfing down a 60g block with about 6-7 hazelnuts at about 1pm because it's a hard time to start fiddling about with several items of food, frying pans and kitchen scales. Do you think this is ok? Or is it best to mix several types of food in a "proper" meal?

2) When I get home from work/the gym at around 6-7pm, I like to graze rather than have a further 2 small meals. I was wondering if it would be advisable to measure out the food I need for the remainder of the day and just keep nibbling throughout the evening? Or do I need to eat, then rest for 2 hours, then eat again before bed?

3) The keto stix tend to show a bit pink in the morning, but the rest of the day I get nothing. Is my body producing insulin after every meal even though I'm not having many carbs? Is there an optimum time to test for ketones?

Thanks again - J.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you are drinking enough, your urine is probably too dilute to show enough ketones to register. Best times to test are when your urine is likely to be concentrated - first thing in the morning or after a workout.

After a while, your body starts using up all those ketones for energy, and doesn't waste any by pissing them away, so you may find that you stop registering completely. But you are still in ketosis.

Nice to see someone who can measure in grams! 60g is not a huge lot of cheese, as long as you are eating plenty of veg with it.

I don't bother washing the pan at breakfast (the children have bacon), so at lunch I throw on a bit of fish, and a couple of easy vegetables, put the lid on and 10 minutes later, everything is cooked. Far less effort than anything salady.

If you measure out your food beforehand, then you can eat it whatever way you like. The "every 3 hours" rule is to stop you leaving too long between meals, you can eat more often as long as you track your cals.

Talking

Thanks again, Eileen,

Originally Posted by Eileen
    If you measure out your food beforehand, then you can eat it whatever way you like. The "every 3 hours" rule is to stop you leaving too long between meals, you can eat more often as long as you track your cals.
    This answers a big question for me. I posted it on the general "Nutrition" forum too. Although I measure my food out carefully, I prefer to eat in smaller amounts fairly constantly, particularly in the evening, and was concerned I might be limiting my bod's ability to suppress insulin release or something? Thanks big much - JJ

markie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

Hi everybody,

A friend of mine is doing a steroid cycle (Winstrol and Sustanon) and wonders if you can do a Keto diet while you are using steroids.

Thanks.

deedubb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deedubb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deedubb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deedubb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deedubb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deedubb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deedubb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi, sorry if this question has been posted here before but i didnt have time to read through 11 pages

Taken from the article on the first page of this thread:

2500 minus 640 (protein calories) is 1860 which works out to be around 206 fat grams a day. Now as you go deeper into the diet, and find the need to restrict calories more, you must cut fat calories, not protein.

What is the formula or how did you get 206 fat grams/day from 1860 fat calories?

Thanks

Originally Posted by deedubb
    Hi, sorry if this question has been posted here before but i didnt have time to read through 11 pages

Taken from the article on the first page of this thread:

2500 minus 640 (protein calories) is 1860 which works out to be around 206 fat grams a day. Now as you go deeper into the diet, and find the need to restrict calories more, you must cut fat calories, not protein.

What is the formula or how did you get 206 fat grams/day from 1860 fat calories?

Thanks
    You divide 1860 by 9 - 9 is the calorific value of one gram of fat.

JJ

Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am really afraid of starting this diet... i lost 35 pounds on a low fat diet 6 meals a day and am really afraid of just focusing on fat.. It scares me ****less. Alot of the aspects of this diet confuses me sooo much.

If you've never done keto before, then spend a couple of weeks just counting your carbs, and concentrating on eating lots of small, clean meals. You'll find you automatically start eating a semi-keto diet once you cut out all the processed carbs and stick to green veg instead.

Once you have the hang of it, you can start looking at your calories and overall proportions of proteins, fats and carbs.

Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Justinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ok this morning i had 2 tbsps of npb, 2 eggs and a tbsp of olive oil? good meal or no?

Sounds pretty disgusting. How did you put it together? Personally, I'd have ditched the peanut butter and had an extra egg. Peanut butter has a fair bit of carbs, while although eggs have a small amount of carbs, you can pretty much ignore it (or count 1g carb for six eggs).

The great thing about eggs is that you only eat them when you are hungry, and then you stop. Peanut butter is one of those things you can keep eating until the whole bucket is gone.

dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Would anyone know how this keto-diet is for a diabetic. I am a Type II Diabetic and I was told to eat between 180 and 225 carbs a day. I actually eat between 90 and 120 probably now. I have been working out for 6 months though on 2000 calories a day and I eat good and clean and have not had the tape measure move so I am looking for something else that might help me lose this stinking fat.

In theory, a keto diet should be perfect for a diabetic, (in fact, it's what they did before they had injectable insulin) but you will have to make sure your doctor knows about it, and knows how to adjust your medication accordingly.

markie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Hi everybody,

I am 2 months on the Blindfaith keto-diet now and I went from 12.5 to 9.5% of bodyfat! My weight stayed the same (100 kg).
    I am very happy with that.
    But after 2 months I really start to miss the daily carbs, which I didn't eat during these two months... Only fridaynight untill saturdaynight 12 o'clock.
    Gonna try the diet of Eileen now, 65% fat/30% protein and 5% carbs.
    I want to thank Eileen for all her super advice.
    I keep you informed about the results.
    Good luck to all.

power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    so can i add 1 small salad a day to help with fiber as long as i make it 20g of carbs or less?
    "I MUST BREAK YOU"

"i`m gonna call up some hard pipe hitting neggers to go to work on the homes here with a pair of plyers and a blow torch", "do you here me mr soon to be living the rest of his short ass life in agonizing pain punk rapist here,do you here me hillbilly boy,i`m gonna get medevil on your a$$"

1/28/01 - 428
    1/1/05 - 330
    4/21/05 - 304
    5/28/05 - 292
    7/26/05 - 282
    11/4/05 - 285
    11/25/05 - 290
    3/20/07 - 318

No, you can't eat one small salad - you have to eat several BIG salads. And plenty of cooked veg as well. Think broccoli, cauliflower, celery, spinach, kale, chard, asparagus, green beans etc

You subtract fibre from total carbs, so most salads and green veg work out at 1-2g of carbs per portion. In practical terms, you can eat as much as you can stuff into your mouth.

power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    so i should eat my number of protein and fat. and just eat a bit of mixed greens? but i thought that the fiber is much smaller in comparison carb the carb contents in the veggies.
    "I MUST BREAK YOU"

"i`m gonna call up some hard pipe hitting neggers to go to work on the homes here with a pair of plyers and a blow torch", "do you here me mr soon to be living the rest of his short ass life in agonizing pain punk rapist here,do you here me hillbilly boy,i`m gonna get medevil on your a$$"

1/28/01 - 428
    1/1/05 - 330
    4/21/05 - 304
    5/28/05 - 292
    7/26/05 - 282
    11/4/05 - 285
    11/25/05 - 290
    3/20/07 - 318

Nana_Urbiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nana_Urbiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nana_Urbiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    seriously thinking about keto. please tell me if i'm doing the math right

my weight fluctuates at around 180 lbs @ 20% bodyfat.
    that means i have a lean mass weight of 144 lbs/gram of proteins
    i multiply the 144 by 4, getting 576, my protein calories
    (i multiply the 144 by 15) subtract the 576 protein calories, getting 1084, my daily fat calories

576 protein cals + 1084 fat cals = 1660 cals

and here are my questions:
    how am i supposed to live on 1660 calories a day?
    what's the difference between protein calories and regular calories? fat cals and regular cals?

also, 9 is the caloric value of one gram of fat. so is the caloric value of one gram of protein 4? since, for me, 4 x 144 = 576. here's the dumb question, IS the caloric value of a given amount fat supposed to be greater than the caloric value of portein at the same given gram amount of fat?
    Last edited by Nana_Urbiz; 10-15-2005 at 03:45 PM.

Not sure where you are getting your figures, but you are right, you can't live on 1660 cals a day.

Have a look at the calculator on the www.c-k-d.com website to get it worked out for you in detail, including carb-ups.

As a rule of thumb, someone who drives to work and works at a desk probably has a maintenance calorie level of 13 cals per pound of body weight. If you do manual work, are very muscular, or work out more than than three times a week, it could be a lot higher. If you are female, it could be slightly lower.

Take away 500 cals to get your cutting level. Lean body weight = number of protein grams you should be eating. Allow 20g of carbs, and everything else is fat. As a general rule, you should be eating roughly the same number of fat and protein grams at each meal.

One gram protein = 4 cals
    One gram carbs = 4 cals
    One gram fat = 9 cals.

Originally Posted by power press
    so i should eat my number of protein and fat. and just eat a bit of mixed greens? but i thought that the fiber is much smaller in comparison carb the carb contents in the veggies.
    It depends what veg you eat. There's a list of net-carbed veg somewhere on this section, but leafy green veg like broccoli works out at around 1g of carbs per 100g of veg, and that's the conservative calculation. I've seen labels where it comes to a negative number of carbs. Same with stuff like celery. 0.9g of carbs, 1.1g of fibre. Root veg like potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips, beetroot are high in carbs, even when you subtract fibre (which makes them great on carb-up).

You need to start reading labels. For instance, sweetcorn is very high carb, but baby sweetcorn, where you eat the whole thing, is much lower, so you can eat that on keto.

has anyone had problems pooping while on this diet. i started it monday. and i havnt been regular since tuesday.i know meat is hard to digest so it might just be the change in my diet {from meat and veg ot just meat}. i`m just curiouse if it has messed up anyone elses regularity?
    "I MUST BREAK YOU"

1/28/01 - 428
    1/1/05 - 330
    4/21/05 - 304
    5/28/05 - 292
    7/26/05 - 282
    11/4/05 - 285
    11/25/05 - 290
    3/20/07 - 318

Greatbody4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Greatbody4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy

Originally Posted by power press
    has anyone had problems pooping while on this diet. i started it monday. and i havnt been regular since tuesday.i know meat is hard to digest so it might just be the change in my diet {from meat and veg ot just meat}. i`m just curiouse if it has messed up anyone elses regularity?
    I started on tuesday morning. And i m having problem today in pooping. I put lot of force to poopout intially then it was fine. My stool color was very dark black. I am confuse why i am having this problem even i m taking metamucil. Any thing which can help us in this situation

Thanks in adv.

Eat more veg, drink more water. Fibre supplements won't do anything useful unless you drink gallons of water as well. Your bowel patterns will change a bit, but you should still be regular as long as you keep eating enough veg.

************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ************************* ********** ************************* ******* BuildUpNow's Avatar
    BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BuildUpNow has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i got a question im 165 and about 15% bf (estimating) and my lean mass is 140, so i should eat 140grams protein a day? when i multiply 140 by 4 i get 560grams......is the 560grams the protein intake i should take weekly? or a day. and about my fat calories. i dont get it...
    wait wut

140g of protein = 560 cals from protein. Personally, I find it easier just to count the number of protein grams, fat grams etc. As a very general rule of thumb, your number of fat grams should be the same or higher than the number of protein grams.

alright so i`m going to give it another try. would it be ok if i eat a salad or have maybe 1 cup of cooked broccoli with every meal? cause i have to get the fiber in with it or it messes up my "keeping regular".
    "I MUST BREAK YOU"

1/28/01 - 428
    1/1/05 - 330
    4/21/05 - 304
    5/28/05 - 292
    7/26/05 - 282
    11/4/05 - 285
    11/25/05 - 290
    3/20/07 - 318

I think I'm going to change my sig to "You must eat your veg". Yes, you can eat salad or broccoli at every meal. In fact, you should eat as much leafy green veg as you can fit on your plate and in your mouth.

If in doubt, skip any thing dubious and eat more broccoli.

BTW, a very good keto soup is to cover some broccoli, leeks, sprouts, cabbage, celery, or whatever with stock, boil for ten minutes, then liquidise and serve with some heavy cream or grated cheese. Use less liquid than for a root veg soup.

allright thanks.
    "I MUST BREAK YOU"

1/28/01 - 428
    1/1/05 - 330
    4/21/05 - 304
    5/28/05 - 292
    7/26/05 - 282
    11/4/05 - 285
    11/25/05 - 290
    3/20/07 - 318