Registered User JustinStephan89's Avatar
    JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Who here has competed ........

Anyone ever actually compete on this board or no? Ive done clean @jerk in competition but never the snatch so if you have competed please share with me things I should know ..........
    Powerlifting

ATG S - 370 - 335 x 4
    Bench- 280 - 255 x 3
    Deadlift-460 - 402 x 6
    Total - 1110

Olympic lifting

front squat - 257
    Clean - 242
    squat + Behind the neck jerk - 222
    C + J - 210

Walkin'tall machinegunman PrivateBaldrick's Avatar
    PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PrivateBaldrick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You'll have a lot of adrenaline and everything will feel lighter. I made PRs in both snatch and clean and jerk my first comp. Of course, I'd only been training six weeks, so I was making PRs on a regular basis anyway, but there was definitely a difference. Take all the time you need to get focused. Don't rush yourself. Anything in particular you are wondering about?

shotkong is just really nice. (+1000) shotkong is just really nice. (+1000) shotkong is just really nice. (+1000) shotkong is just really nice. (+1000) shotkong is just really nice. (+1000) shotkong is just really nice. (+1000) shotkong is just really nice. (+1000) shotkong is just really nice. (+1000) shotkong is just really nice. (+1000) shotkong is just really nice. (+1000) shotkong is just really nice. (+1000)
    /raises hand

only advice i have is not to do anything to get you a red flag off a technicality (i.e. dropping the bar after the lift). Also, make suer you bring a singlet. other than that just go out there and lift the damm bar

Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I have in ages past. My advice is first go and watch a meet. It is an entirely new world. Talk to the lifters, get to know the judges. Most are very approachable. You might even be able to ask some of the more experienced lifters and coaches for advice.

The thing to remember about your first meet is it will quite possibly be the greatest learning experience of your lifting career. Do not go into it expecting to stun the world with your performance, nor worried that you will be embarassed. Practically everyone there will remember their first meet, and most of us had some sort of difficutly, but someone helped us out.

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've done two. Like everyone said, just ask and people will help you. Make sure your opening lifts are conservative.

When it is your turn to lift, you have one minute. You can start your lift at any point in that time, you don't have to get a signal from the judge or anything. When you complete the lift, YOU MUST HOLD IT UNTIL YOU GET A SIGNAL TO LET THE BAR DOWN. Don't forget that. When you bring the bar down, keep your hands on it until it hits the platform. Technically you only have to hold it until the bar passes your waist, but the more you control it, the more the judges will like you. After that you need to tell the meet director what you want your next lift to be. If you do not, they will add 1kg and call you again. Even if that happens you can still tell them you want to increase the weight. When they call you again, you just repeat the procedure.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

Registered User JustinStephan89's Avatar
    JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    raffiki please lay out all your attempts for both snatch and clean and jerk for both meets .
    Powerlifting

ATG S - 370 - 335 x 4
    Bench- 280 - 255 x 3
    Deadlift-460 - 402 x 6
    Total - 1110

Olympic lifting

front squat - 257
    Clean - 242
    squat + Behind the neck jerk - 222
    C + J - 210

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've only done one meet so far, next one is on August 18.

I was so nervous that I decided to hit my openers in warmup, before going out, to calm myself down a bit.

The adrenaline factor was huge for me. I ended up power snatching what was my previous full snatch PR.

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JustinStephan89 View Post
    raffiki please lay out all your attempts for both snatch and clean and jerk for both meets .
    1st meet

Snatch: 70, 75, 80 miss
    C&J: 95, 98, 100 miss

2nd meet

Snatch: 80, 83, 85 (too conservative)
    C&J: 100 miss, 105, 107 (too conservative, the miss was just a fluke)

What are your best lifts at the moment, and when do you compete?
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post
    I was so nervous that I decided to hit my openers in warmup, before going out, to calm myself down a bit.
    Yeah I've seen other lifters do this. I did a lot of acting as a kid, so I feel comfortable on stage. I enjoy it.

fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10) fr0stbyte is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by raffiki View Post
    I've done two. Like everyone said, just ask and people will help you. Make sure your opening lifts are conservative.
    I did 4 this year ( 1st year competing ). Good times. I agree with Raffiki, pick openers that you know you can crush. Once you have the confidence of getting the openers on the board you can commit to what you want to get for 2nds, and 3rds.
    75kg class
    Competition lifts -Oct 14th, 2006 90kg class
    Squat 550lbs
    Bench 396lbs
    Deadlift 540lbs
    Oly Comps :
    86kg Snatch/ 110kg C&J
    Training Log: http://www.saskpowerlifting.ca/~jjamie/wordpress/