deusalone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

whole wheat vs. normal pasta

I've tried to take almost all simple and medium carbs from my diet, leaving oats and vegetables. But my workouts have had me running out of energy and having trouble concentrating, so i think i need to add some. I was thining pasta, but is there enough of a difference in the insulin response to have there be any difference between whole wheat and normal pasta?

Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you are going to combine your pasta with protein and/or fat then it really won't matter as far as insulin response.

The whole wheat has more nutrients and fiber though.

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Rippd
    If you are going to combine your pasta with protein and/or fat then it really won't matter as far as insulin response.

The whole wheat has more nutrients and fiber though.
    I thought this was true about mixing simple carbs with other types of nutrients to dampen the sugar spike. Though it makes sense, now I am not sure. Here is why:

I recently talked a diabetic buddy of mine into eating some healthy choice pasta (refined somelina flour and whole wheat flour) with spaghetti sauce and meat balls (good carbs and some fat, including olive oil). 2 1/2 hours after eating he took his normal late evening blood test and his blood sugar was significanlty higher than normal.

Until I find out why this happened, I have to recommending erring on the side of complex carbs like whole wheat pasta.

A.FreeRadical
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

ProfWorrier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If I have pasta, which is very rare, I will opt for Whole Wheat. The fiber in it fills me up more then regular pasta.
    "I'll make weapons out of my imperfections."

Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by A.FreeRadical
    I thought this was true about mixing simple carbs with other types of nutrients to dampen the sugar spike. Though it makes sense, now I am not sure. Here is why:

I recently talked a diabetic buddy of mine into eating some healthy choice pasta (refined somelina flour and whole wheat flour) with spaghetti sauce and meat balls (good carbs and some fat, including olive oil). 2 1/2 hours after eating he took his normal late evening blood test and his blood sugar was significanlty higher than normal.

Until I find out why this happened, I have to recommending erring on the side of complex carbs like whole wheat pasta.

A.FreeRadical
    The rules are different for diabetics.

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The rules are different for diabetics.
    The rules are for everyone - they just impact diabetics much more substantially.

If a type I diebetic and I each eat the same meal, our blood sugar might react pretty similarly, but it's only an issue for him. Still impacts me, though, from a glycemic standpoint. My body will produce insulin to process the sugars, and he'll have to inject it, but same basic issue.

Obviously some generalizations, but I woudn't want to ignore them relevance of the glycemic index.

Originally Posted by zackmurphy
    Obviously some generalizations, but I woudn't want to ignore them relevance of the glycemic index.
    GI is measured on people in a fasted state and when eating those foods on an empty stomach without other foods. Also serving size is an issue.

Once you combine carbs with protein and/or fat it completely changes the GI of the meal.

As far as serving size, according to the Glycemic Index, carrots are high GI however did you know that the serving size for the carrots measured was 18! If you eat 5 carrots, the GI is very different.

GI is fairly useless for bodybuilding purposes. If you are diabetic then I would pay attention to it.

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    GI is measured on people in a fasted state and when eating those foods on an empty stomach without other foods. Also serving size is an issue.
    Absolutely.
    GI is fairly useless for bodybuilding purposes. If you are diabetic then I would pay attention to it.
    We'll have to agree to disagree.