Boozername has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Standing calf raises with barbell Question

I do s.c.r. by holding barbell in front or behind me. In the beginning it was OK, but with heavier weights almost immediately I get pain in upper back. So I will try do them with barbell on my back (like when squating). The thing is, I train at home,and cannot put a lot of weight on my back.
    Question is:
    Is it better to do Standing Calf Raises by holding barbell in front/behind me with more weights or Standing Calf Raises with barbell on my back (squat position) but with less weight and higher reps?

P.S. Do you know what is that pain in my upper back? Is it usuall when holding big weights in front/behind of body?

Sorry 4 grammar mistakes.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The pain in your upper back is probably just your traps getting tired holding all that weight.

I don't see any harm in training them lighter with higher reps, that's what I've started to do and it's working - +1/4 inch in the last month=

I actually prefer to use either a dipbelt or rucksack (backpack) to weight myself as I need to hold onto something to get the groove and keep the groove - depends how much weight you need. I don't need much weight so the bag or belt is fine.

Boozername has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MattyG
    I actually prefer to use either a dipbelt or rucksack (backpack) to weight myself as I need to hold onto something to get the groove and keep the groove.
    Rucksack? Man...that's a pretty good idea!