clinthammer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wrists hurt when I do some exercises

It started happening two weeks ago - I haven't changed any workout around so I don't know why they hurt.

It hurts when I do wide grip barbells curls, close grip barbell curls, sometimes with the preacher curl machine and when I use the forearm machine or forearm exercise with barbell.

When I do other exercises such as bench press, dumbell press etc. it doesn't hurt.

Anyone this I should see a doctor because I really don't want them to hurt this week. I've had enough.

BTW when I barbell curl (close + wide) I do 3-4sets of 12, 10, 8 or 10,8, 6 with on each side, 5kg, 10kg, 12kg.

I've been working out for over a year now and this problem just started.

CD
    ----
    Time to lose the tires!

Registered User xtremecondition's Avatar
    xtremecondition has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you using a straight bar? If you are, then stop. Use an EZ curl bar or dumbbells for 2 weeks and see if the pain stops. If so, avoid straight bars in the future for curls. Straight bars will hurt my wrists in one workout. Ez curl and dumbbells, no problems.

TysonH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TysonH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TysonH has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Ya know, my wrists hurt when doing bicep curls as well!!...I have to set the weight down slowly, so it doesn't hurt so bad when I'm through...i have fractured my right one twice..but my left one hurts just as equal and I don't know why. This has happened ever since I started lifting, which was about a year or so ago!!.... I dunno what else to do besides fight through it! --Oh and I Do use an Ez-Curl bar..always have! so i don't know what's goin on!!
    ~Tyson~

pict is on a distinguished road. (+10) pict is on a distinguished road. (+10) pict is on a distinguished road. (+10) pict is on a distinguished road. (+10) pict is on a distinguished road. (+10) pict is on a distinguished road. (+10) pict is on a distinguished road. (+10) pict is on a distinguished road. (+10) pict is on a distinguished road. (+10) pict is on a distinguished road. (+10) pict is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool wrist pain

my wrist and foream ache for days after any kind of straight/ez bar curl. dumbell curls never seem to give me a problem. i can switch back to a bar and i have problems within 2 weeks. i now do hammers, inclines,reg dumbell curls. i do more of a powerlifting routine though so arms are just sort of a minor issue for me. i guess i do them out a sense of nostalgia for my bodybuilding years. i think that arms probably don't need to be hit very often.

mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    your wrist should be straight, such that your hand is parallel to your forearm when you're lifting. that's a possible explanation - if you let your hands bend backwards towards the floor when you're doing stuff like biceps curls.

yep, and could try using a wrist guard , although i don't advise it, really, heh. someone once told me that wrist guards / knee guards cause reliance on them, much like a weightlifting belt. see a doctor if it persists, and good luck bro!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

meandmyiv / scott donald / DarkFalcon

gallmond1977 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i had the same problem on the same exercises, i went to the doctor and he gave me corizone (spelling?) shots in both wrists...no more wrist pain! go to the Dr and ask him about cortizone shots, it is well worth it.

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gallmond1977
    i had the same problem on the same exercises, i went to the doctor and he gave me corizone (spelling?) shots in both wrists...no more wrist pain! go to the Dr and ask him about cortizone shots, it is well worth it.
    No pain for now but becareful you can do more damage and not know it. Did your doc talk about the risks?

Shiden11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shiden11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shiden11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shiden11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shiden11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shiden11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shiden11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shiden11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shiden11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shiden11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shiden11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have had bad forearm pain from doing straight and ez bar curls. Like pict, I only do db curls now, like hammer curls and alternating db curls. I have had no pain since switching to db's. I would suggest trying the db's and seeing if your wrist pain disappears.

gallmond1977 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DanMc
    No pain for now but becareful you can do more damage and not know it. Did your doc talk about the risks?
    The stories regarding the dangers of cortisone come from years ago when it was first introduced and it was used in larger doses (the consequences were not yet recognized). Cortisone, in shot and pill form, is a valuable treatment tool for a wide variety of conditions. Many people have fears about its use, some of which may be justified. Today, with a careful assessment of the benefits, cortisone is a very useful and effective tool in any Orthopaedic practice.

What is cortisone?

It is a hormone produced by a small gland on top of the kidney called the adrenal gland. It is essential to the proper functioning of your body, particularly when under stress. Its absence is known as Addison's Disease, which without treatment is fatal. Cortisone is a normal body product therefore; there are no allergic reactions. In cases of people with severe allergies, it is one of our most effective treatment tools. Cortisone by itself is rarely used today as it is relatively short acting and of low potency. Semi-artificial cortisone derivatives, such as DepoMedrol, Celestone, Kenalog, and a number of others, are used with increased benefits and fewer side effects.

How is cortisone effective?

Cortisone is useful in suppressing inflammation in the short term, and in the long term, dissolving scar tissue, stabilizing the body's defenses, speeding the healing process, and is very effective in causing certain cysts to disappear. It does however, have a weakening effect on tendons if injected directly into them. It can also soften cartilage when injected into a joint. (Information comes from experiments on animals and not human beings.)

How many injections are needed?

In spite of surrounding folklore, there is no specific limit to the number of cortisone shots that can be given. Practical concerns are, if the shot does not work, then why repeat it? If it does work, cortisone is extremely effective and not too many shots are needed. There is a limit to the amount of cortisone given in one dose, even if injected in several areas of the body; this varies depending on the size and physical condition of the person.

What are the different types of injections?

Cortisone falls into a group of chemicals called steroids. It is very different from anabolic steroids commonly abused by weight lifters or competitive athletes. The cortisone/steroid injections, used in medical practice, fall into three broad categories, articular injections, "trigger point" injections, and epidural steroid injections. The first articular or joint injections are preceded by an aspiration withdrawing joint fluid or blood. Joints commonly injected are the shoulder, knee, ankle and small joints of the hand and foot. Most of the injections can be followed by a booster injection 2 to 4 weeks later. A good limit is three injections over a three-month period of time (an injection to another location can be done at any time).

The "trigger point" injection is done to a tendon area or into the bursa surrounding such joints as the shoulder, knee, or the hip. These follow the same guidelines as articular injections as far as frequency.

An epidural steroid injection is another category. It is neither a joint nor "trigger point" injection but, rather an injection inside the bony column of the spine surrounding the dura (the sac that encloses the spinal cord and spinal nerves). Lumbar epidural injections are a relatively simple technique. Hey are done several inches from the spinal cord and are unlikely to be accompanied by complications except, perhaps a headache. Cervical (neck) epidural injections are a very specialized technique done in our office only by skilled and experienced anesthesiologists. Epidural steroid injections are useful for a variety of back conditions including sciatica, arthritis, degenerative disc problems, and spinal stenosis.

Is the injection painful?

Some cortisone injections can be painful. Injections into an area that is already inflamed are more sensitive. Some areas, such as the hand and foot are particularly sensitive and a freeze block is used before injection. Other areas, such as the knee and shoulder are only moderately uncomfortable.

Cortisone shots are generally accompanied by an anesthetic such as Carbocaine or Lidocaine. This deadens the area and indicates where the shot should be placed (the pain will go away about an hour while the anesthetic works). Most people who have reactions or allergies to cortisone really have the reaction to the anesthetic agent of the epinephrine (adrenaline), which may be in some forms of the injection. Epinephrine can cause tachycardia (rapid heart beat) in some patients. For others, the sight of a needle will cause this reaction and the feeling of being faint is often misinterpreted as an allergic reaction.

Pain Management of Spinal Disorders
    What You Need to Know About Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Medications: Use When Prescribed
    Spinal Disc Replacement: The Development of Artificial Discs
    Spinal Cord Injury (SCI): Damage Control and Treatment
    Ergonomics: Introduction to Guidelines for Nursing Homes
    TSRH-3D Spinal Instrumentation
    Article written 09/01/1999
    Published online 09/01/1999
    Last updated 08/11/2004

This article on cortisone injections is quite informative and the information is accurate. Even though the success rate of epidural steroids varies among different studies, I generally agree with the author that cortisone injections can be helpful to treat pain and inflammation in many patients with spinal disorders. It also can serve to prevent surgery in some patients. It should be emphasized that epidural steroids are indicated for patients with a herniated disc or spinal stenosis with radiating leg pain, not just low back pain. Cervical epidural steroids are more technical in nature and are not advised for patients with severe stenosis because of the risk of potential spinal cord injury. Although rare, epidural steroids also can result in epidural abscess. Other complications may include spinal fluid leakage and nerve root injury. Finally, the patient should be informed about the temporary nature of epidural steroids. In general, cortisone injections serve to decrease pain and inflammation temporarily so that the patient can resume the rehabilitation more effectively. It is the combination of rehabilitation and cortisone injections that results in long-term improvement, not just cortisone alone. Even though cortisone injections should be part of the treatment options for spinal disorders, more scientific studies are needed to validate the specific indications.

Howard S. An, M.D.

Eric D Walker, MD
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    208-227-1200
    Michael Boyer, MD
    McAlester, OK

David Hagstrom, MD
    Lubbock, TX
    806-792-7888
    Mark A Cox, DC
    Bedford, Texas
    (817)545-1100

Find More Professionals

back pain home editorial board contact privacy user agreement spine partners
    This information is not intended to replace the medical advice of your doctor or healthcare provider.
    Always consult your doctor about specific medical conditions. Use of the SpineUniverse.com site is
    conditional upon your acceptance of our User Agreement.

clinthammer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well yes I do use the str8 bar so for a week or two I will try the EZ bar for both wide and close grip curls. However, will it affect my workout in anyway because even though there is the pain, I can still feel the effects of the exercise i.e.biceps do get worked out.
    ----
    Time to lose the tires!

senithe363 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Unless the pain is excruciating, don't worry. Mine use to do that to. Take extra time off in between bicep/ forarm workouts. No pain, no gain.