joetan22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

too much L-Glutamine

I've been doing some reading and have been getting very mixed feedback about Glutamine. Some articles I've read range in daily intake from 5 up through 25grams per day. I'm currently taking 5g per day of L-Glutamine powder and will be upping it to 10grams soon. I was wondering at what point can someone take too much where it will just go to waste.

I'm just a normal guy, trying to get back in shape with some lifting. I've posted my workouts on my bodyblog and you can check it out for more background on me if you would like.

They whey protein I'm currently taking has 3.290 g of glutamine (peptide which I believe is not as potent as L-Glutamine but I could be mistaken). I guess my overall question is how much glutamine (L or peptide) can or should be taken?

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Probably not going to be of much benefit for you since you are "just a normal guy, trying to get back in shape with some lifting".

Read through these ...
    Does L-Glutamine work?

Glutamine; Why bother????

Nevertheless, supplemental glutamine does have a beneficial role in gastrointestinal disorders (and general gut health).

Peptide bonded (di- & tri-) forms are utilized to a greater degree than free form Glutamine.

Regardless, you need to take a look at your training and recovery abilities, and honestly ask yourself "am I really placing an extreme amount of exercise stress on myself - training with high intensity and high volume" ... if yes, then it may be something to consider.

Originally Posted by Androgenic
    I do know people that are powerlifters (many using AAS) and training very hard do see significant benefit from oral supplemental glutamine, but their level of training and pounding they put on their bodies and immune system is hardly comparable to most reading this.
    I think most studies, even with trained participants are interesting, but aren't reflective of very high-intensity training. Most people at the gym are sure they know what they're doing and aren't training all that hard.
    Last edited by in10city; 07-08-2007 at 02:40 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

englanddog28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) englanddog28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) englanddog28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) englanddog28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) englanddog28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) englanddog28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) englanddog28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) englanddog28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) englanddog28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) englanddog28 will become famous soon enough. (+50) englanddog28 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have read that supplementing with L-glutamine can be a bad thing because the body converts it to ammonia,it is better to supplement with ornithine alpha ketoglutyrate and the body converts that into glutamine "Dr Michael Colgan"
    do not repay evil with evil,for i shall repay! Romans c12:v17

Anabolic-Authority.com

MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    too much Glutamine will burn a massive hole in your wallet.

Cheers

jamesc23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by MIA72 View Post
    too much Glutamine will burn a massive hole in your wallet.

Cheers
    u mean glutamine can penetrate your skin and then through your pants and then through your wallet? WOAH

MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MIA72 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jamesc23 View Post
    u mean glutamine can penetrate your skin and then through your pants and then through your wallet? WOAH
    Yes, it's very powerful stuff.

BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BF2002 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I generally take about 15g of glutamine. 5g pre-worout, 5g post-workout, and 5g with a protein shake in the morning. I've gone up to 20g daily. It's never been a problem.

I generally don't count the glutamine in the protein powders. That's just like a bonus to me.

My training was normally 4-6 days per week, with a 2 hour session daily. Sometimes I'd do a morning and evening workout of 1.5-2.0 hours each, but then I'd only workout 4-5 days that week. I did a lot of volume. My average was about 16 sets for each bodypart, except arms and calves which got about 12 sets. I went as heavy as I could and cheated to failure on every set until I read about the overtraining risks.

If it were not for creatine and glutamine, I don't think I would have been able to recover quick enough to maintain the volume and frequency of my training. I made very good progress doing the high volume and pushing to failure on most sets, but I believe I needed the creatine and glutamine, plus 0 carb energy drinks to do the volume I did.

I also took 15-20g of BCAA's daily with the creatine/glutamine. They help a lot too with recovery, but again, many people don't neccessarily need them. It depends on if you are recovering well without them.

I've been off most the stuff for the last 5 months, since I've been overseas and they are hard to get/crazy expensive when available. It is much harder to push the volume and intensity without them. I'd take 2-3 days off at times until I got back on creatine and paid some ridiculous price for the stuff. Then I was able to train every 1-2 days.