MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lat Width Exercises?

i was wondering if you guys would help me come up with a good list of exercises for lat width? the only good ones i really know are pull ups and pull downs. i would like to know more. any suggestions are appreciated.

bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    pull-ups(wide/close grip), bent over bar rows, t-bar rows, close-grip pull-downs
    Chicks dig big calves

MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MT! has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    aren't the last three more of middle back thickness though?

RationalBeing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I personally quite enjoy close grip pull downs with an underhand grip. Feel the burn baby.

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bigpump23
    pull-ups(wide/close grip), bent over bar rows, t-bar rows, close-grip pull-downs
    that is aout all you need I do a few other things but my back routine is a bit intense

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My width has come primarily from pullups (palms facing away). I also do rows which include 1 arm rows but that's more a thickness movement.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    chins, pullups, rack chins, similar motions.
    <->

Location: Uk, North East....You'll find me in the Freeweights section!!!!
    K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10) K9icular is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    chins, pullups, rack chins, similar motions.
    Agreed
    "Everybody want to be a bodybuilder........but dont nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight!....Lets go!!! i'll do it though!!" Ronnie Coleman.

"Thats about...............15........hundered, thats 35, 45lb plates...so its LIGHTWEIGHT BABY!!" Ronnie Coleman.

"Come on diesel, for the Mass!!!" Dorians training partner

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious" Albert Einstein.

what's a rack chin?

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MT!
    what's a rack chin?
    search

author = hyp3r3xt3nsion

thead will be something like rack chins
    <->

thanks

<->

i'm so nic ei even found it for you if you havn't already

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=320814
    <->

KCPreki11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read the Rack Chins thread. Seems like a dangerous exercise plus half the weight is resting on the inclined bench.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Partial rep behind the neck pullups have widened out my lats and entire shoulder girdle more than any other exercise by far.

mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10) mischiev is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    wide grip chins, wide grip pullups.
    wide grip lats pulldown.
    trust me on this.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

meandmyiv / scott donald / DarkFalcon

DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DaIceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    Partial rep behind the neck pullups have widened out my lats and entire shoulder girdle more than any other exercise by far.
    What stage of the rep are you staying in? Top, Mid, or bottom?

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DaIceman
    What stage of the rep are you staying in? Top, Mid, or bottom?
    From bottom to about middle I would say. I go from a hanging position to shoulders parallel with my hands. This position seems to put the most stress on the lats anyways. I never go all the way up and try to scrunch my shoulders togethers against the bar, I believe that is the dangerous part that of this movement that irritates the rotator cuffs. So I just leave that part out.

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I didn't think it was possible to widen the shoulder girdle (which is basicaly bone structure), but only to increase the mass of the lats and the delts.

Originally Posted by KCPreki11
    I read the Rack Chins thread. Seems like a dangerous exercise plus half the weight is resting on the inclined bench.
    not if you do it properly and i have no idea where you got that about the weight resting on the bench.
    <->

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MT!
    i was wondering if you guys would help me come up with a good list of exercises for lat width? the only good ones i really know are pull ups and pull downs. i would like to know more. any suggestions are appreciated.
    I'm surprised only DiamondDelts touched on this (actually, no I'm not).

There are two aspects to lat width.

1. Development of the latissimus muscle, especially the upper part*

*if you have low lats

2. Flexibility of the shoulder blades-a HUGE part of back width.

For 1. to develop the latissimus muscles. First, look where your lats insert. They will be either high, medium or low.

For low inserted lats, do wide grip chins and/or wide grip bent rows to the WAIST.

For medium lats, do medium grip chins.

For high lats, do close grip chins and/or reverse grip rows to the waist.

For 2. flexibility-if you have "low" lats, you will be in luck, as wide grip chins also spread the scapula, though flexibility exercises can be done more often. See below.

You should stretch your scapula out as much as possible. Do this by grabbing a high pole (about head level)-lean out the side (do this in front of a mirror) pull out as if you are doing an extreme wide grip chin-up with one arm. You should see your "lats" come out. Hold stretch, repeat other side. do this every training day.

Something to emphasize: "lat" stretching and latissimus stretching are two different things (semantics aside). You want to pull the scapula OUT from the side. Thats why wide grip moves are better back "wideners" than close grip moves, even though close grip chins actually stretch the latissimus muscles more.

Edit: another lat widener. Do your lat spread. Put your thumbs under you LAT INSERTIONS (not at your waist, unless you have super low lats). Now, while maintaining your "spread", take your hands from your sides..GRADUALLY bring your arms up into a front double bi, while maintaining your spread. STOP WHEN YOUR LAT SPREAD "GOES AWAY". Go back to the original position (front lat spread). Keep practicing this until you can hold the spread while doing a front double bi.
    Last edited by Defiant1; 11-05-2004 at 10:36 AM.

Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Bam! That post right there should be a sticky for people to refer to when asking about back width!

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jotun
    Bam! That post right there should be a sticky for people to refer to when asking about back width!
    Thanks dude.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Defiant1
    I'm surprised only DiamondDelts touched on this (actually, no I'm not).

There are two aspects to lat width.

1. Development of the latissimus muscle, especially the upper part*

*if you have low lats

2. Flexibility of the shoulder blades-a HUGE part of back width.

For 1. to develop the latissimus muscles. First, look where your lats insert. They will be either high, medium or low.

For low inserted lats, do wide grip chins and/or wide grip bent rows to the WAIST.

For medium lats, do medium grip chins.

For high lats, do close grip chins and/or reverse grip rows to the waist.

For 2. flexibility-if you have "low" lats, you will be in luck, as wide grip chins also spread the scapula, though flexibility exercises can be done more often. See below.

You should stretch your scapula out as much as possible. Do this by grabbing a high pole (about head level)-lean out the side (do this in front of a mirror) pull out as if you are doing an extreme wide grip chin-up with one arm. You should see your "lats" come out. Hold stretch, repeat other side. do this every training day.

Something to emphasize: "lat" stretching and latissimus stretching are two different things (semantics aside). You want to pull the scapula OUT from the side. Thats why wide grip moves are better back "wideners" than close grip moves, even though close grip chins actually stretch the latissimus muscles more.

Edit: another lat widener. Do your lat spread. Put your thumbs under you LAT INSERTIONS (not at your waist, unless you have super low lats). Now, while maintaining your "spread", take your hands from your sides..GRADUALLY bring your arms up into a front double bi, while maintaining your spread. STOP WHEN YOUR LAT SPREAD "GOES AWAY". Go back to the original position (front lat spread). Keep practicing this until you can hold the spread while doing a front double bi.
    Ah, D1. You are the man. I couldn't agree more with your post. I understand and agree with everything you posted. And it's funny how people nowadays say you can't improve widen your ribcage or shoulder girdle, yet I am much wider than I was at 22. I was done growing by then. Too bad more people don't experiment with exercises before they go on about what can't be done. I did it and I KNOW I am not the only one.

Ah, D1. You are the man. I couldn't agree more with your post. I understand and agree with everything you posted. And it's funny how people nowadays say you can't improve widen your ribcage or shoulder girdle, yet I am much wider than I was at 22. I was done growing by then. Too bad more people don't experiment with exercises before they go on about what can't be done. I did it and I KNOW I am not the only one.
    Thanks Pal.

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I want to widen my shoulder structure. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

mybodysucks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What would be the best way to incorporate all of these exercises into a high frequency program where volume is at a premium?
    I HATE being natural and genetically average!

Originally Posted by mybodysucks
    What would be the best way to incorporate all of these exercises into a high frequency program where volume is at a premium?
    Do the stretching exercises as stretching exercises i.e. every day if possible. Do the chins as part of your back routine.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Defiant1
    Do the stretching exercises as stretching exercises i.e. every day if possible. Do the chins as part of your back routine.
    Yep, that is what I do.

waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) waynelucky has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hi there,

Pullover, 240 range of movment isolation exersice, underhand grip rows, parallel grip pulldowns.

Thank you Wayne