Thread: How heavy ?

rhzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How heavy ?

Hi..im a newbie thats trying to gain some weight..tomorrow will be the first time i'll be heading to a gym.

Right now im embarking on a schedule based on poppa's thread ( http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hreadid=150447 ) and i was wondering how 'heavy' should those exercises be, i understand from my friend there are weights 'attached' to those machines ?(i don't want to look like an utter clown the first time in it lol)

Yeah this may sound stupid but pretend that your explaining to a bodybuilding retard so pls be more detailed as possible

Workout 1
    (weeks 1-6)

Crunches 2x20
    Squats 2x12
    Leg Curls (or lunges) 2x12
    Flat-Bench Press 2x12
    Lat Pulldowns (or barbell rows) 2x12
    Shoulder Press 2x12
    Tricep Pushdowns (or overhead extensions) 2x12
    Barbell Curls 2x12
    Standing Calf Raises 2x15-20

Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Porky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    find a weight that challenges you in that given rep range

BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Porky
    find a weight that challenges you in that given rep range
    I would say for a beginner, use a weight that you find EASY. Concentrate hard on getting the form correct. Eg for squats use JUST THE BAR. Worried people will laugh at you?? F*** 'em! It's not where you start, it's where you finish. I see too many guys in the gym doing crap form. Then moving up to do heavier weight with crapper (not a work i know) form. Don't become one of those clowns please.

After you've done a couple of weeks of the routine, and are feeling confident that you are doing the lifts correctly, then start upping the weight.

Remember if you're one of these people that wants results yesterday, you're in the wrong game. Don't be in a hurry to lift heavy.

(Sorry about all the chiches )

sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50) sir spanksalot will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BoxSquat
    I would say for a beginner, use a weight that you find EASY. Concentrate hard on getting the form correct. Eg for squats use JUST THE BAR. Worried people will laugh at you?? F*** 'em! It's not where you start, it's where you finish. I see too many guys in the gym doing crap form. Then moving up to do heavier weight with crapper (not a work i know) form. Don't become one of those clowns please.

After you've done a couple of weeks of the routine, and are feeling confident that you are doing the lifts correctly, then start upping the weight.

Remember if you're one of these people that wants results yesterday, you're in the wrong game. Don't be in a hurry to lift heavy.

(Sorry about all the chiches )
    good advice. It will take several weeks for you to even start to figure out your weight ranges for most exercises...dont rush it, take your time and worry about your form, not the weight.

rhzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Allright cool, thanks for the help guys.

Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Remember, it is not how you look in the gym rather how you look outside the gym.
    I am not trying to be better than you, just better than myself
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009

Bingogym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just had to say this...

Your a beginner, be proud of that. You have a chance to start clean, with no errors, study bodybuilding and take it seriously if you want to change your physical appearance. Eat right, eat alot, train hard, rest alot!! Don't make the same mistakes guys always make: ignoring body parts, skipping to many working out sessions, eating poorly (I have been a culprit of this one in the past), start new and give it all you got. Best of luck.

-Jaysen

I don't work out, I train xplosiveDL's Avatar
    xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xplosiveDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Bingogym
    I just had to say this...

Your a beginner, be proud of that. You have a chance to start clean, with no errors, study bodybuilding and take it seriously if you want to change your physical appearance. Eat right, eat alot, train hard, rest alot!! Don't make the same mistakes guys always make: ignoring body parts, skipping to many working out sessions, eating poorly (I have been a culprit of this one in the past), start new and give it all you got. Best of luck.

-Jaysen
    why start bodybuilding at all? Look into powerlifting, olympic lifting or strongman instead
    If a guy is muscular but cant lift worth **** he is nuthing but a cosmetic pussy ,non functional muscle size =pointless silicon implants as far as i `m concerned

-> A-Rod

You want big muscles, girly man? Find big rock. Pick up big rock. Raise big rock overhead. Repeat as neccesary.

-> rent-a-lambo