Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50)

annoying shin splints...

I'm getting very annoyed with this, I can't go more than a half mile without getting shin splints. Getting outta breath isn't such a problem, it's the pain in my legs. It hurts so bad I gotta stop, feels like my legs are splitting apart. Anyway to help with this?

M@chin@ is on a distinguished road. (+10) M@chin@ is on a distinguished road. (+10) M@chin@ is on a distinguished road. (+10) M@chin@ is on a distinguished road. (+10) M@chin@ is on a distinguished road. (+10) M@chin@ is on a distinguished road. (+10) M@chin@ is on a distinguished road. (+10) M@chin@ is on a distinguished road. (+10) M@chin@ is on a distinguished road. (+10) M@chin@ is on a distinguished road. (+10) M@chin@ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1. Get new running shoes. For me getting shoes that didn't kill my shins is pretty much trial and error. Some shoes will leave me pain free, some will leave me in throbbing pain, and I still haven't been able to pin down why.

2. Wrapping your lower legs from above the ankles to below the knee can help as well.

3. Stretch your calves a lot before running
    Without learning frankness becomes vulgarity; bravery, disobedience; firmness, eccentricity; humanity, stupidity; wisdom, flightness, sincerity, a plague

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ya I have shin splints also..

the best way to fix them is to work through them.. and the pain will go away..

also when your in the gym during your calf routine.. put a db on your toes and lift the front part of your foot in the air.. for a certain amount of reps..

work on that muscle.. which I forgot
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    are you tkaing time off to allow them to heal?

if not, you can't expect it to heal overnight and to be able to keep stressing it.

if so, then there's something wrong and i would try to get a scan - getting shin splint everytime you run is not normal.
    <->

Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are they anterior shin splints or posterior shin splints? Where are you feeling the pain? When you first noticed the pain did you recently increase your activity on your feet?

Respawn Demon the muscle you are thinking of is the tibialis anterior.

Running through the pain will definatly not fix the problem. Shin splints are an overuse injury, and working through the pain will just make it worse.

Shoes could definatly be the problem. Do you know what foot type you are? You want shoes that suit your foot type. Ie flat over flexible feet, high arch inflexible feet.

Flat feet, or the turning of the foot outward – which puts strain on the leg muscles – can cause shin splints.

Tight calf muscles, or calf muscles that aren’t ‘warmed up’ before exercising, may be responsible for shin splints

-R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, elevation) should be used after exercise.
    Properly warm up the muscles before any activity, including walking. Stretch before and after exercise focusing on the calf muscles.

-Throw out old worn out shoes and buy proper ones for your foot type.

-Use insoles (possibly orthodics) to reduce stressed placed on muscles and tendons on the front and sides of legs.

-Strengthen the tibialis anterior by doing toe raises like Respawn said but stand at the edge of a step and use the full range of motion. Don't worry about using a DB right now, do about 12-15 reps. Do this about 3x/week
    This also works as a good warm up for the TA but do not go to fatigue if you are using it as a warm up.
    BETA
    kick ass and take names

midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    are you tkaing time off to allow them to heal?

if not, you can't expect it to heal overnight and to be able to keep stressing it.

if so, then there's something wrong and i would try to get a scan - getting shin splint everytime you run is not normal.

I do believe the actual cracks will stay. (and how do you take time off from walking? )

The things that did me some good were training them, biking and changing the way i walk (I walked heal first on the ground and than toe, now i still do but my toes almost hit the floor directly after my heal touches the floor)

You can see the splints i have my lower leg got visable waves on some points and when i rub over it i can clearly feel where the cracks are.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    over use!?!? I barely ever go running!! NEVER GO RUNNING!

I tried to do some cardio months ago but it was hard cuase of the shin plints.. it would hurt simply walking...

now that I leave in a month from now... I have done TWO running sessions. TWO!!! 2 DOSE.. II....... TWICE...... DOUBLE>.......... and my lower legs are killing me no matter what I do...

I can't rest though.. I have to run... I have such low endurance.. what am I gonna do

can I go to the docs and get it fixed real easily? And then pick up my running and be able to run a few miles by the time I go to boot camp?
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

Aetolos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have had the same problem in the past. Like the other people said, warm up and stretch the calves BOTH WAYS. Gastrocnemius and tibialis anterior primarily.

Also try strengthening that entire region - calves as well as the tibialis anterior. It's a tough muscle to train, but it will help keep you from getting shin splints.
    2005 PIAA Track & Field State Championships - Lane 4, here I come.

Go Eagles!

Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arthur Saxon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    over use!?!? I barely ever go running!! NEVER GO RUNNING!

I tried to do some cardio months ago but it was hard cuase of the shin plints.. it would hurt simply walking...

now that I leave in a month from now... I have done TWO running sessions. TWO!!! 2 DOSE.. II....... TWICE...... DOUBLE>.......... and my lower legs are killing me no matter what I do...

I can't rest though.. I have to run... I have such low endurance.. what am I gonna do

can I go to the docs and get it fixed real easily? And then pick up my running and be able to run a few miles by the time I go to boot camp?
    You should have a foot assesment done. Your GAIT cycle (how you walk) probibly has something wrong with it. You need to have the proper shoes for your foot type or their will be problems. Check my other message and do some research if you are that concerned.
    BETA
    kick ass and take names

Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well I guess I get them on both the front of my shins and the calves. Man so I guess I'll start doing calf raises...

I was looking at shoes online and jesus god shoes have gotten expensive since I last bought them. Anyone know of a good place to buy running shoes for cheap?

xGringox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xGringox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xGringox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xGringox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xGringox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xGringox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xGringox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xGringox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xGringox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xGringox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xGringox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had a horrible problem with shin splints when i first started running, but they eventually started to go away with time, I'm assuming they just toughened up a bit. I used to run in a raggy pair of airwalks/vans (which had absolutely no support to them at all) which was probably a contributing factor. I couldn't use running shoes either, because i have freakishly wide feet and they cramp up when i wear them.

Originally Posted by Reck
    Well I guess I get them on both the front of my shins and the calves. Man so I guess I'll start doing calf raises...

I was looking at shoes online and jesus god shoes have gotten expensive since I last bought them. Anyone know of a good place to buy running shoes for cheap?
    You want to be doing toe raises as well as calf raises.
    Try foot locker
    BETA
    kick ass and take names