Thread: plateau

rainbowbrite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

plateau

So Im 3 wks out and have stopped losing weight. I still want to drop down a couple more bf %. I am currently doing cardio 5x/wk, 2-3 HIIT, seesions last from 30-60 mins. Im consuming about 1400-1500 cals, about 50%p, 15%c, 35%f. Im 55, 119, f, any ideas? Thanks!
    RB

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rainbowbrite
    So Im 3 wks out and have stopped losing weight. I still want to drop down a couple more bf %. I am currently doing cardio 5x/wk, 2-3 HIIT, seesions last from 30-60 mins. Im consuming about 1400-1500 cals, about 50%p, 15%c, 35%f. Im 55, 119, f, any ideas? Thanks!
    RB
    you'll either need to lower your calories or increase your activity... just simply a matter of creating a greater caloric deficit

moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up change it up a bit

My advice to you would be to do 2 cardio sessions. One in the morning on an mpty stomach for 45min. and your second session at night after eating for 45min. watching your heart rate that you stay in the fat burning zone and occasionally in the cardio. zone. I also think that your carbs are too low and that you need to up them and decreas your fat grams so that you can shock your system out of this plateau. I would suggest more of 50/30/20 split or 45/40/15 split [prot/carb/fat] so that you still are maintaining your muscle, providing yourself with fuel and lowering your fat intake. 35% percent fat seems too high for me - and keep your fats to good fats like flaxseed, nuts, salmon, avocado, etc.

Good luck on the final stretch!!!

Pharm Animal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You're relying too much on the scale. Lost weight doesn't equal progress. Check the mirror and throw away your scale!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I thought about upping my carbs to keep my body guessing. My fats right now consist of whole eggs and flax seed. I think I may try the 2 cardio sessions as well. I think next time around I will keep my carbs higher. Live and learn (1st show). I agree that Mprobaly relying too uchon the scale...I do have tiny love handles to gt rid of still....tho I dont know how muchis water...and its figure so I guess I dont have to be completely shredded. Thanks again.

Pharm Animal has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by rainbowbrite
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I thought about upping my carbs to keep my body guessing.
    I really do advocate a carb cycling diet where one day is about 30% calories from carbs, then would drop back down to 10%, then 10%, 20%, 10%, 10%, then repeat, depending on daily activities and fatloss rate. I'm planning my 1st show in 5 years (competed in the 90's) and I'm pulling out all the lessons learned... one of the lessons is to cycle carbs!

Carb cycling was something I considered going into this show but I didnt have enough informatio about it and everyones approaches seem to differ. It is something I will definitely look into next time. RB

So should I up my carbs until I start to see some changes or rotae carbs? :s Thanks!
    RB

EnYgMa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What types of carbs? I restricted my starches and pretty much ate them in the mornings. I started at 300 cal, then 200, and now 100. I am 5 days out (whew!). I eat fibrous veggies for the rest of the day for carbs. Lots of carrots because they're easy to toss back.

I don't really have any fat in my diet.
    Actor and Amateur Bodybuilder!
    The only thing holding you back is your own lack of motivation.
    The 3 D's: Determination, Dedication, and Discipline.

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EnYgMa
    What types of carbs? I restricted my starches and pretty much ate them in the mornings. I started at 300 cal, then 200, and now 100. I am 5 days out (whew!). I eat fibrous veggies for the rest of the day for carbs. Lots of carrots because they're easy to toss back.

I don't really have any fat in my diet.
    you need some fat in your diet... restricting fat below 15% of calories especially if you are dieting can have delerious health effects

EnYgMa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, I see that with most of you guys. My trainers have a different approach from what I see.

Well, it worked for them and others they've trained. HAHA!

4 more days to go!
    Actor and Amateur Bodybuilder!
    The only thing holding you back is your own lack of motivation.
    The 3 D's: Determination, Dedication, and Discipline.

TheItalian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

the gold is here so let me put it all together.

first: A "zig zag" (carb cycling) diet is by far the most effective way to diet. Since I started zig zagging, I've cut more body fat in 4 weeks than in 2 months.

Second: yes, fat. Fat is essential in your diet. Great sources are avocado, nuts, natural peanut butter (my favorite), olive oil, fish oil, & flax oil. but make fat about 10-20% of your DCI.

third: Carb up AT LEAST once a week. On carb days I eat a **** load of food, about twice of my normal DCI and I don't gain a thing. My muscles fill out, and I just feel great overall. Carbs will be anywhere from 10-20% of my DCI during the week, and on a carb day carbs will be about 60-70% DCI (that's what I mean by "carb up")

Fourth: whole wheat anything, potatoes, & brown rice are great sources for complex carbs.
    Personally, I live off of wheat products. I think potatoes are a pain in the ass and I'm not too fond of rice either.

Cardio: a half hour of High intensity intervals (daily) have proven to be more effective than an hour of cardio at 80% MHR (for me)

Tid bits: I do not believe in cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Your body will rely on protein (muscle) for energy.
    If you feel you arent losing enough, try doing two sessions of cardio daily.
    any carbs I eat in a day will be consumed with Breakfast.
    dont forget to take multivitamens while cycling carbs.

Lastly: DITCH THE SCALE!!! It's about how you look, not your weight.
    Last edited by TheItalian; 10-28-2004 at 01:50 PM.
    Stats:
    Height: 5"4'
    Weight: 184
    BF: 7.5%