kidbazooka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to gain muscle mass?

I am new to this forum but not new to weightlifting however I am not completley familiar with bodybuilding terminology but that is what im hoping to learn throught these forums. I've been lifting for almost 5 years now I've gain a pretty good amount of muscle but Im not exactly satisfied.

I workout 4 days a week for about an 2 hrs a day, my workout consist of arm curls, chest, triceps, and back. My question is what is the best way to gain muscle mass?

rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) rgranger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Maybe the best thing for you right now is to thro in some squats and other leg exercises.

Give us some stats (weight, height, bodyfat), diet and supplament information, and more specific routine information.
    Last edited by rgranger; 07-01-2007 at 12:20 AM.

sorry i forgot to add i do legs 3 days a week as of now Im satisfied.

Im realy looking to gain more upper body muscle, Im cut but I wanna get bigger/thicker overall.

Im 5'6", 165lb, bodyfat unknown, no supplaments.

4 types of arm curls three machines and dumbells, I do 4 sets of 10 to 12 reps.

3 types of triceps all machines, same sets and reps as above.

For chest I do benching and the one where you sitdown(sorry don't know the name) I bench around 220lb and max out at 250lb, I do 4 sets of 10 reps.

I was an amatuer boxer for 7 years and was good at cutting weight but now im trying to get big and Im finding it much more difficult for me.
    Last edited by kidbazooka; 07-01-2007 at 12:30 AM. Reason: more info

Leinad_affar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leinad_affar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leinad_affar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leinad_affar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leinad_affar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leinad_affar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leinad_affar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leinad_affar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leinad_affar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leinad_affar will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leinad_affar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1. Lose the machines

2. Cut your workout time in half

3.Eat more

Adrenaline8530 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adrenaline8530 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adrenaline8530 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adrenaline8530 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adrenaline8530 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adrenaline8530 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adrenaline8530 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adrenaline8530 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adrenaline8530 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adrenaline8530 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adrenaline8530 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You've been lifting for 5 years and still unsure how to gain muscle mass?...

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Nutrition / Diet / Macros:

Total daily calorie intake. This is what will make / break you

It is NOT efficient to try and lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time

BMR and nutrition calculator

Total Daily Protein Intake (for best results I recommend AROUND 2g per lb of bodyweight)

Foods (Good vs. Bad)

Unified Theory of Nutrition - by Will Brink
    Bulking:
    When bulking (a calorie surplus to gain lean muscle mass at a optimal rate), I aim for:

- 1lb beef per day
    - 1 Gallon Milk per day
    - Around 2000 cals per day from oats
    - Lots of protein shakes (up to 8 per day)
    - Chicken / Turkey
    - Beef
    - Rice
    - Pasta
    - Tuna
    - Potatoes
    - Veggies (Fresh if possible)

If there was ONE SINGLE KEY to the gains I made in the 1 1/2 years when I went from 175-225 (my best.. leanest gains), it is OATS / STEEL CUT OATS ! The emphasis here is that oats are a INEXPENSIVE, HEALTHY, yet VERY CALORIE DENSE FOOD. I saw lean gains like I had never seen before. But NO THEY DON'T TASTE GOOD. YOU HAVE TO FORCE FEED THEM. This gets old fast. I added about 1 cup of oats to each protein shake.

Hungry Hungry Hormones

Massive Eating

Stretch Mark Mass
    What are some good indications that I'm gaining muscle... ?
    Mirror / Appearance
    Measurements
    Strength
    Bodyweight
    Cutting:
    When cutting (a calorie deficit to lose fat at a optimal rate):

I eat many of the same foods above, but with a lower TOTAL DAILY CALORIE INTAKE

I put a emphasis on PRE- and POST-workout nutrition, and the end result is that most of my calories are eaten before my afternoon workout. I have found this to be ideal (for me).

Fullness Factor Chart 1
    Fullness Factor Chart 2
    What it my basal metabolic rate ?
    Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the energy used (measured in calories) by your body to perform basic functions, including internal energy expenditure, breathing, and body temperature. It is the number of calories your body would expend if you performed no physical activity throughout the day.

Simply put... your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the rate at which your body burns calories while you rest. This is very important because we only have so much time for cardio each day.

BMR Calculator:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    Where can I learn more about the "Fatloss Basics ?"
    What are some good indications that I'm losing fat... ?
    Mirror / Appearance
    Measurements
    Bodyfat caliper
    Bodyweight
    Supplements:

SAVE $$$$$ ! ! STICK WITH THE BASICS:

Multivitamin
    (Click here for a Multivitamin Comparison Chart)
    10 lb bags of Optimum Whey Protein
    (Great BCAA profile AND glutamine... Note: I recommend Choc / Choc Mint only)
    Creapure Creatine or Magnesium Creatine Chelate
    Fishoil / Essential Fatty Acids
    Essential Amino Acids [Free Form Powder] pre-workout

Stay on creatine, there is no need to cycle it ! (cycling and loading are totally optional)

Creatine timing (when / how to take it):

Science behind creatine timing
    In depth look at creatine

For best results, aim for AROUND 2g of total daily protein intake per lb of bodyweight EVERY SINGLE DAY ! !

Example:

Bodyweight: 200lbs
    Total daily protein intake: 400g

Here is why:

Protein Prejudice
    Protein intake studies
    BCAA's / Leucine
    Workout / Routine:
    I recommend a MAX-OT, 5x5, HST (or similar) routine with a EMPHASIS ON:
    Squatting / Leg pressing
    Deadlifts
    Barbell benchpress
    (Including flat / decline / incline)
    Both BB's and DB's for best results

Concentrate more on measurements and less on bodyweight

Weigh yourself once a week. Should gain (or lose) around 1lb per week (depending on goals).

Concentrate on form first, in order to stay injury free

Emphasize both range of motion, and mind-muscle connection

With intensity, strength gains, and a proper bodybuilding diet, the size gains (or fatloss) will come

Make sure and have a spotter when working out your major muscle groups, preferrably someone bigger than you

Don't be scared of overtraining. Simply listen (pay attention) to your body, and ask more questions later if you think you are overtraining.
    Cardio:

If possible, do cardio at least 8 hours from when you lift weights

If possible, do cardio in the AM after sleeping.

No need to do cardio on a empty stomach, but many prefer to due to nausea

Jumping rope is a very efficient form of cardio

Sprinting is a very efficient form of cardio

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is a efficient form of cardio
    Recovery (A.K.A GROWTH !):

With proper intensity MUST COME PROPER RECOVERY !

Make sure and get enough protein right before you go to sleep.

Make sure and get enough protein/carbs right when you wake up

Make sure and get enough deep, quality sleep (Not getting enough quality sleep is the #1 newbie mistake. You should aim for at least 8 QUALITY hours of sleep per night):

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...sleep_1_pr.htm
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...sleep_2_pr.htm

Make sure and get enough protein / calories on off days (This is when your body will be recovering) It is important to be consistent !

Make sure and get proper pre and post-workout nutrition:

Carbs pre and post workout.
    Protein pre and post workout.
    Creatine pre and post workout:
    Pre, During, & Postworkout Nutrition (Click here)

Cell volumization:

Make sure and drink enough water both throughout the day and during your workout (this is CRITICAL ! !) I drink about 1 liter per hour, and at least 3 liters during my workout. (Keep in mind I am currently over 240lbs so you may not need this much).

H2O / Cell Volumization... the ultimate supplement
    Stretch Mark Mass !
    The role of cellular hydration in the regulation of cell function
    Glycerine / Glycerol
    Nitric Oxide
    Other Resources:

Good luck !
    If you have read this post and ALL the links provided and you still have a question or concern.. please E-Mail me and I'll get back to you as soon as possible:

pt@controlledlabs.com
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by boyscouT View Post

boyscouT's Guide To A Better Life

Overall Nutrition: Read all sticky's located in the NUTRITION SECTION
    Nutrition Surrounding Training: Read Alan Aragon's sticky on PRE, DURING, & POSTWORKOUT NUTRITION
    Fat Loss: Read all sticky's located in the LOSING FAT SECTION
    Training: Read all sticky's located in the WORKOUT PROGRAMS SECTION & take extra care when reading THIS
    Cardio: Read Alan Aragon's sticky titled MYTHS UNDER THE MICROSCOPE: THE LOW INTENSITY FAT BURNING ZONE & FASTED CARDIO
    Exercise Guide (INCLUDES BODYWEIGHT EXERCISES): Read all links located HERE

Figuring out your CALORIE requirements (2-STEP PROCESS):
    • If <20% BF:
      • For cutting (CALORIE DEFICIT), I suggest -200 cals. For bulking (CALORIE SURPLUS), I suggest +200 cals
    • If >20% BF:
      • For cutting (CALORIE DEFICIT), I suggest -500 cals. For bulking (CALORIE SURPLUS), YOU DELUSIONAL? CUT!
    Figuring out your MACRONUTRIENT ratios:

I recommend:
    • 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight
    • 20% of your calories should come from healthy fats (40% POLYUNSATURATED, 30% MONOUNSATURATED, & 30% SATURATED)
    • Carbs are up to you (I PREFER TO KEEP COMPLEX CARBS AT BREAKFAST, PREWORKOUT, AND POSTWORKOUT)

Other important tips:
    • Meal size & frequency are not set in stone. (FYI SMALLER/MORE FREQUENT MEALS YEILDS FOR OPTIMAL ABSORPTION OF NUTRIENTS)
    • I recommend P+C+F (P = Protein, C = Carbohydrate, F = Fat) in every meal except:
      • preWO (P+C)
      • immediate post workout (P+C)
      • and bedtime (P+F)
    • Eat your fruits & veggies!
    • Drink at least 1 gallon of pure water a day
    Food Journal: FITDAY.COM

Food Database: NUTRITIONDATA.COM

FDA Guidelines For Food Labels: FDA DEFINITIONS

Proteins:Complex Carbohydrates:
    • Oats (ALL KINDS), oat bran, oat bran cereal (I.E. CHEERIOS)
    • Potatoes (ALL KINDS)
    • Rice (ALL KINDS)
    • Pasta (ALL KINDS)
    • Bread (ALL KINDS)
    • Beans
    Simple Carbohydrates:
    • Maltodextrin (FOR DURING/POST WORKOUT)
    • Dextrose (FOR DURING/POST WORKOUT)
    Other Carbohydrates (FIBROUS, ETC):
    • Fruits
    • Vegetables
    Fats: DO NOT FEAR FAT!
    • Nuts (ALL KINDS)
    • Peanut/Almond butter
    • Egg yolks
    • Avocados
    • Fatty Fish
    • Fish oil
    • Olive oil
    Stay away from:**THE ABOVE ARE JUST GUIDELINES... IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBLITY TO LISTEN TO YOUR BODY AND ADJUST AS NECESSARY**
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WhySoSerious? has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    yeah that ^ confused me as well
    Well the info is simply
    train right
    Eat right
    your not training right. Since you murder your muscles. stay gym 1 hour only
    I hope all the exercises you do, you dont mean u do in one day - for four days . cos thats really bad. on one day focus on one thing.

eat right. just eat foods high in protein and carbs. good u dont take supplaments . Neither do i

barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Leinad_affar View Post
    1. Lose the machines

2. Cut your workout time in half

3.Eat more
    Some machines are ok but you will notice better gains with free weights. I normally hit free weights and finish up a muscle group with some slow concentrated machine lifts on whatever you're trying to hit.

Definitely agree you need to cut your time in half in the gym. Are you doing full-body workouts or do you have some kind of split?

Eat, eat, eat, and then when you think you've had enough, eat some more. Supplements are a good idea if you are already following a good diet and workout plan.

Originally Posted by Adrenaline8530 View Post
    You've been lifting for 5 years and still unsure how to gain muscle mass?...
    Yhea sounds crazy huh, I just never realy tried to to schoolmyself I just lifted.

Im working on eating alot more but I also run a lot would that effect my muscle growth?

Also I work out every other day so would concentrating on one single muscle group a day still be ok?

Originally Posted by pu12en12g View Post
    Nutrition / Diet / Macros:

Total daily calorie intake. This is what will make / break you

It is NOT efficient to try and lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time

BMR and nutrition calculator

Total Daily Protein Intake (for best results I recommend AROUND 2g per lb of bodyweight)

Foods (Good vs. Bad)

Unified Theory of Nutrition - by Will Brink
    Bulking:
    When bulking (a calorie surplus to gain lean muscle mass at a optimal rate), I aim for:

- 1lb beef per day
    - 1 Gallon Milk per day
    - Around 2000 cals per day from oats
    - Lots of protein shakes (up to 8 per day)
    - Chicken / Turkey
    - Beef
    - Rice
    - Pasta
    - Tuna
    - Potatoes
    - Veggies (Fresh if possible)

If there was ONE SINGLE KEY to the gains I made in the 1 1/2 years when I went from 175-225 (my best.. leanest gains), it is OATS / STEEL CUT OATS ! The emphasis here is that oats are a INEXPENSIVE, HEALTHY, yet VERY CALORIE DENSE FOOD. I saw lean gains like I had never seen before. But NO THEY DON'T TASTE GOOD. YOU HAVE TO FORCE FEED THEM. This gets old fast. I added about 1 cup of oats to each protein shake.

Hungry Hungry Hormones

Massive Eating

Stretch Mark Mass
    What are some good indications that I'm gaining muscle... ?
    Mirror / Appearance
    Measurements
    Strength
    Bodyweight
    Cutting:
    When cutting (a calorie deficit to lose fat at a optimal rate):

I eat many of the same foods above, but with a lower TOTAL DAILY CALORIE INTAKE

I put a emphasis on PRE- and POST-workout nutrition, and the end result is that most of my calories are eaten before my afternoon workout. I have found this to be ideal (for me).

Fullness Factor Chart 1
    Fullness Factor Chart 2
    What it my basal metabolic rate ?
    Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the energy used (measured in calories) by your body to perform basic functions, including internal energy expenditure, breathing, and body temperature. It is the number of calories your body would expend if you performed no physical activity throughout the day.

Simply put... your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the rate at which your body burns calories while you rest. This is very important because we only have so much time for cardio each day.

BMR Calculator:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    Where can I learn more about the "Fatloss Basics ?"
    What are some good indications that I'm losing fat... ?
    Mirror / Appearance
    Measurements
    Bodyfat caliper
    Bodyweight
    Supplements:

SAVE $$$$$ ! ! STICK WITH THE BASICS:

Multivitamin
    (Click here for a Multivitamin Comparison Chart)
    10 lb bags of Optimum Whey Protein
    (Great BCAA profile AND glutamine... Note: I recommend Choc / Choc Mint only)
    Creapure Creatine or Magnesium Creatine Chelate
    Fishoil / Essential Fatty Acids
    Essential Amino Acids [Free Form Powder] pre-workout

Stay on creatine, there is no need to cycle it ! (cycling and loading are totally optional)

Creatine timing (when / how to take it):

Science behind creatine timing

For best results, aim for AROUND 2g of total daily protein intake per lb of bodyweight EVERY SINGLE DAY ! !

Example:

Bodyweight: 200lbs
    Total daily protein intake: 400g

Here is why:

Protein Prejudice
    Protein intake studies
    BCAA's / Leucine
    Workout / Routine:
    I recommend a MAX-OT, 5x5, HST (or similar) routine with a EMPHASIS ON:
    Squatting / Leg pressing
    Deadlifts
    Barbell benchpress
    (Including flat / decline / incline)
    Both BB's and DB's for best results

Concentrate more on measurements and less on bodyweight

Weigh yourself once a week. Should gain (or lose) around 1lb per week (depending on goals).

Concentrate on form first, in order to stay injury free

Emphasize both range of motion, and mind-muscle connection

With intensity, strength gains, and a proper bodybuilding diet, the size gains (or fatloss) will come

Make sure and have a spotter when working out your major muscle groups, preferrably someone bigger than you

Don't be scared of overtraining. Simply listen (pay attention) to your body, and ask more questions later if you think you are overtraining.
    Cardio:

If possible, do cardio at least 8 hours from when you lift weights

If possible, do cardio in the AM after sleeping.

No need to do cardio on a empty stomach, but many prefer to due to nausea

Jumping rope is a very efficient form of cardio

Sprinting is a very efficient form of cardio

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is a efficient form of cardio
    Recovery (A.K.A GROWTH !):

With proper intensity MUST COME PROPER RECOVERY !

Make sure and get enough protein right before you go to sleep.

Make sure and get enough protein/carbs right when you wake up

Make sure and get enough deep, quality sleep (Not getting enough quality sleep is the #1 newbie mistake. You should aim for at least 8 QUALITY hours of sleep per night):

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...sleep_1_pr.htm
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...sleep_2_pr.htm

Make sure and get enough protein / calories on off days (This is when your body will be recovering) It is important to be consistent !

Make sure and get proper pre and post-workout nutrition:

Carbs pre and post workout.
    Protein pre and post workout.
    Creatine pre and post workout:
    Pre, During, & Postworkout Nutrition (Click here)

Cell volumization:

Make sure and drink enough water both throughout the day and during your workout (this is CRITICAL ! !) I drink about 1 liter per hour, and at least 3 liters during my workout. (Keep in mind I am currently over 240lbs so you may not need this much).

H2O / Cell Volumization... the ultimate supplement
    Stretch Mark Mass !
    The role of cellular hydration in the regulation of cell function
    Glycerine / Glycerol
    Nitric Oxide
    Other Resources:

Good luck !
    If you have read this post and ALL the links provided and you still have a question or concern.. please E-Mail me and I'll get back to you as soon as possible:

pt@controlledlabs.com

Thanks alot for the info.

bearondiet is not very well liked. (-100) bearondiet is not very well liked. (-100) bearondiet is not very well liked. (-100) bearondiet is not very well liked. (-100) bearondiet is not very well liked. (-100) bearondiet is not very well liked. (-100) bearondiet is not very well liked. (-100) bearondiet is not very well liked. (-100) bearondiet is not very well liked. (-100) bearondiet is not very well liked. (-100) bearondiet is not very well liked. (-100)
    I lifted 132lbs 44 times yesterday in 1 set. I lifted 180lbs 20 times in 1 set today. I do 3 sets. Is there supposed to be twice difference in max reps over 50lbs difference? By the way, i switched from 22lbs dumbbell weighted sit ups to 44lbs dumbell weighted sit ups. I can do it now. I went from 10 sets to 5 sets though. Still 10 reps per set. I wish i had access to a bodybuilding gym. I use home gym. 180lbs is the max weight i can use for triceps.

aGha360 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aGha360 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aGha360 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aGha360 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aGha360 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aGha360 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aGha360 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aGha360 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aGha360 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aGha360 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aGha360 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kidbazooka View Post
    Yhea sounds crazy huh, I just never realy tried to to schoolmyself I just lifted.

Im working on eating alot more but I also run a lot would that effect my muscle growth?

Also I work out every other day so would concentrating on one single muscle group a day still be ok?
    Bro, you can run as much as you like. At the end of the day, you need to be in a caloric surplus, you get big by eating and lifting big.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    2007 thread guys