Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Androgenic View Post
    Growth and trauma. Hmm...Sounds like a bodybuilder that's training seriously. I do know people that are powerlifters (many using AAS) and training very hard do see significant benefit from oral supplemental glutamine, but their level of training and pounding they put on their bodies and immune system is hardly comparable to most reading this.
    Originally Posted by NO HYPE View Post
    The ONLY way that we can benefit from supplemental glutamine's effects on skeletal muscle, is if the plasma is attenuated to the point of significant intracellular depletion.
    I agree that under these EXTREME circumstances.... one may very well benefit from supplemental glutamine, however I have viewed various studies indicating minimal intracellular glutamine depletion (in non-supplementing subjects) in response to eccentric exercise.
    ~

Wherever progression lacks.... regress can be found in abundance.

andros=man+genein=produce Androgenic's Avatar
    Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I agree that under these EXTREME circumstances.... one may very well benefit from supplemental glutamine, however I have viewed various studies indicating minimal intracellular glutamine depletion (in non-supplementing subjects) in response to eccentric exercise.
    That's true to a degree, but I've seen these studies when I did my master's at Chapel Hill and to say it represents how I train (rest-pause/static contraction)...well...it does not. Certainly doesn't reflect Powerlifters, strength competitors (strongman), endurance athletes (marathon type runners) or the Ronnie's and Jay's of the world. I think most studies, even with trained participants are interesting, but aren't reflective of very high-intensity training. Most people at the gym are sure they know what they're doing and aren't training all that hard.

Again, most of those guys that aren't, really aren't growing or getting stronger after the initial innervation, joint, acclimation related strength. Extreme circumstances reflects success. Therefore the point is still worth discussing.
    Shawn Wells, MPH, RD, CISSN
    Director of Research and Development - Dymatize
    www.dymatize.com
    SWells@Dymatize.com
    shawn.ZHR on ********

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

That's true to a degree, but I've seen these studies when I did my master's at Chapel Hill and to say it represents how I train (rest-pause/static contraction)...well...it does not. Certainly doesn't reflect Powerlifters, strength competitors (strongman), endurance athletes (marathon type runners) or the Ronnie's and Jay's of the world. I think most studies, even with trained participants are interesting, but aren't reflective of very high-intensity training. Most people at the gym are sure they know what they're doing and aren't training all that hard.

Again, most of those guys that aren't, really aren't growing or getting stronger after the initial innervation, joint, acclimation related strength. Extreme circumstances reflects success. Therefore the point is still worth discussing.
    Great response.
    ~

supplemental glutamine's beneficial role in gastrointestinal disorders, general gut health, sepsis, and for the recovery from trauma and or surgery.
    As much as I've failed to reap any NOTICEABLE skeletal muscle benefits from it's use.... I will never deny the above benefits.
    ~

Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Androgenic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good debate here. I hope some people read this through. Reps NO HYPE.
    www.dymatize.com
    SWells@Dymatize.com
    shawn.ZHR on ********

Good debate here. I hope some people read this through. Reps NO HYPE.
    Thanks Mr. Wells.

Reps to you (when possible).
    ~

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Completely agree with this. While I haven't used it since I was out for weeks due to surgery years ago, the only period of time that I noticed any positive benefits was when I was spending 90 minutes of HIT in the gym and 90 minutes of HIT on the bike. Anything that helped take performance and recovery beyond breaking even was a plus...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think the posts have been constructive.

I did see that study on healthy resistance training, I have also attended sports dietetic conferences and when I talk to the conductor of the study, a lot of the variables for study were not appropriate for the investigation.

For me glutamine is not going to be this wonder supplement, I train hard, it just adds to my protein intake for the day. Hey if it improves my gut health, great. Maybe my gut needed it and had a deficiency that will promote a flow on effect to the rest of my body.

I think training hard does create a rather unique set of circumstances, just like taking additional whole protein. It is not concerning that eccentric stress on intracellular glutamine levels are only marginally depleted, the take home for me is...
    1) Hypertrophy is cell volume, not hyperplasia as people image.
    2) Training hard progressive, volume and limit strength i.e. GVT is strenuous and creates an unique metabolic environment. This can be classed for argument sake as more extreme than normal healthy individuals.
    3) Does the body in these circumstance produce enough glutamine, or does it become a "conditionally" essential?
    4) Does the supplementation of glutamine effect blood plasma levels... well as far I can tell it does.
    5) Just because blood plasma levels are stable, does this mean that the body does need more... no! The body loves to maintain blood levels of everything, it has been shown that the body will leech it's own calcium from it's own bones to maintain normal calcium levels.... it's not until older people have osteoporosis or pathological fractures that it becomes evident.
    So the reason of blood plasma level in the microscopic of the short term ie one session, become patently irrelevant. Especially when the training is such an individualised variable and it's in conjunction with diet, sleep cycle, hormonal regulation, genetics, body type/structure, training age, current strength level, how much volume/limit strength lifting... etc.
    Like most studies, there are enough significant variables that dissatisfy most of the core reasoning. Further one group was 5% and the other was 6%, that's a 20% difference between the two groups, you could restate the finding a number of ways.
    So it's true if I make the following statement:
    According the that study there was a 20% improvement of glutamine supplementing group when compared to the non-supplementing group.
    6) Androgenic comments are constructive. And I think we have been saying the same thing repeatedly here. There should be more studies done on "normal" populations... it would be nice... but nobody is interested in funding that stuff, especially when they aren't going to profit it from it.
    We could take calcium supplementation for osteoporosis, glucosamine, chitosan. Heaps of supplements fall into this category.
    Look at the story of how whey protein was discovered and why it's used, bodybuilders didn't discover it just popularised it. It was shown to have medically tested health properties as well as BV and PER marks. It then got used on sick people and helped... the rest is history.

TO NO HYPE:
    As for the negative reps, I believe they don't count because I don't have 50 posts. Your "detrimental" comment, even after I pointed it out as illogical, you still put a smily face as said "try again" more than a little sarcastic. Then you spelt out your mistake attempting to make it look like my error whilst being sarcasitc. In the end I gave you the negative and broke the comment down for you, so it would be crystal clear.
    Other than that I am very much enjoying the debate and like your tact, keeping me on my toes. But I will stand by my comment be sure of that.
    Last edited by Bondi; 06-30-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Originally Posted by Bondi View Post

TO NO HYPE:
    As for the negative reps, I believe they don't count because I don't have 50 posts.
    Oh it counts alright.

Your "detrimental" comment, even after I pointed it out as illogical, you still put a smily face as said "try again" more than a little sarcastic.
    Aren't those smiley faces a bitch?

Then you spelt out your mistake attempting to make it look like my error whilst being sarcasitc.
    Sarcasitc? Yeah ok, that would explain the positive rep that I gave you right?

Actually I admitted to my mistake....

BECAUSE I WAS WRONG.

I will stand by my comment be sure of that.
    Great.... I regularly stand by my comments too.
    ~

Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok NO HYPE,

Clearly you appear upset, and I guess the rep thing is important for you and you feel offended.
    I accept your mistake and admission. I also appreciate your time and effort that you put into your posts.
    Yeah I was annoyed by that face and the tone of your post. Reflect back to when you wrote the "post" in question... what spirit did you do that in? That's why I did reacted the way I did.
    Perhaps I should have called you out on it and waited... and my annoyance got the better of me.

Please accept some positive reps for your overall conduct. Personally I think that there are greater things to worry about in life. And you definately don't need to aggrevate yourself further from this.

Be well, train hard, live happily.

force_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) force_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) force_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) force_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) force_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) force_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) force_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) force_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) force_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) force_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) force_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It was several years ago when I tried Glutamine but I remember dosing it as high as 50g/day for weeks on end and the only thing I noticed from it was my wallet getting empty.

My .02

F.
    Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

I accept your mistake and admission. I also appreciate your time and effort that you put into your posts. Yeah I was annoyed by that face and the tone of your post.
    Thank you.
    ~

Ok NO HYPE, Clearly you appear upset,
    Maybe you need glasses? (have you gotten the idea that I'm a sh!t stirrer yet?) Variety is the spice of life!

and I guess the rep thing is important for you and you feel offended.
    Actually, I spent the beggining portion of my stay here at bb.com in the red.... and I couldn't have cared less.

Great posting with ya Bondi.
    ~

dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I havent posted in this thread basically cuz i dont supplement with glutamine and have no intention to in the future. But i came across this study and this its worthy of consideration...unless of course someone has already posted it...but anyway here it is

L-glutamine supplementation induces insulin resistance in adipose tissue and improves insulin signalling in liver and muscle of rats with diet-induced obesity.

Prada PO et al.

AIMS/HYPOTHESIS: Diet-induced obesity (DIO) is associated with insulin resistance in liver and muscle, but not in adipose tissue. Mice with fat-specific disruption of the gene encoding the insulin receptor are protected against DIO and glucose intolerance. In cell culture, glutamine induces insulin resistance in adipocytes, but has no effect in muscle cells. We investigated whether supplementation of a high-fat diet with glutamine induces insulin resistance in adipose tissue in the rat, improving insulin sensitivity in the whole animal. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Male Wistar rats received standard rodent chow or a high-fat diet (HF) or an HF supplemented with alanine or glutamine (HFGln) for 2 months. Light microscopy and morphometry, oxygen consumption, hyperinsulinaemic-euglycaemic clamp and immunoprecipitation/immunoblotting were performed. RESULTS: HFGln rats showed reductions in adipose mass and adipocyte size, a decrease in the activity of the insulin-induced IRS-phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3-K)-protein kinase B-forkhead transcription factor box 01 pathway in adipose tissue, and an increase in adiponectin levels. These results were associated with increases in insulin-stimulated glucose uptake in skeletal muscle and insulin-induced suppression of hepatic glucose output, and were accompanied by an increase in the activity of the insulin-induced IRS-PI3-K-Akt pathway in these tissues. In parallel, there were decreases in TNFalpha and IL-6 levels and reductions in c-jun N-terminal kinase (JNK), IkappaB kinase subunit beta (IKKbeta) and mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) activity in the liver, muscle and adipose tissue. There was also an increase in oxygen consumption and a decrease in the respiratory exchange rate in HFGln rats. CONCLUSIONS/INTERPRETATION: Glutamine supplementation induces insulin resistance in adipose tissue, and this is accompanied by an increase in the activity of the hexosamine pathway. It also reduces adipose mass, consequently attenuating insulin resistance and activation of JNK and IKKbeta, while improving insulin signalling in liver and muscle.

PMID: 17604977 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Originally Posted by dance2trance View Post
    I havent posted in this thread basically cuz i dont supplement with glutamine and have no intention to in the future. But i came across this study and this its worthy of consideration...unless of course someone has already posted it...but anyway here it is

L-glutamine supplementation induces insulin resistance in adipose tissue and improves insulin signalling in liver and muscle of rats with diet-induced obesity.

Prada PO et al.

AIMS/HYPOTHESIS: Diet-induced obesity (DIO) is associated with insulin resistance in liver and muscle, but not in adipose tissue. Mice with fat-specific disruption of the gene encoding the insulin receptor are protected against DIO and glucose intolerance. In cell culture, glutamine induces insulin resistance in adipocytes, but has no effect in muscle cells. We investigated whether supplementation of a high-fat diet with glutamine induces insulin resistance in adipose tissue in the rat, improving insulin sensitivity in the whole animal. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Male Wistar rats received standard rodent chow or a high-fat diet (HF) or an HF supplemented with alanine or glutamine (HFGln) for 2 months. Light microscopy and morphometry, oxygen consumption, hyperinsulinaemic-euglycaemic clamp and immunoprecipitation/immunoblotting were performed. RESULTS: HFGln rats showed reductions in adipose mass and adipocyte size, a decrease in the activity of the insulin-induced IRS-phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3-K)-protein kinase B-forkhead transcription factor box 01 pathway in adipose tissue, and an increase in adiponectin levels. These results were associated with increases in insulin-stimulated glucose uptake in skeletal muscle and insulin-induced suppression of hepatic glucose output, and were accompanied by an increase in the activity of the insulin-induced IRS-PI3-K-Akt pathway in these tissues. In parallel, there were decreases in TNFalpha and IL-6 levels and reductions in c-jun N-terminal kinase (JNK), IkappaB kinase subunit beta (IKKbeta) and mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) activity in the liver, muscle and adipose tissue. There was also an increase in oxygen consumption and a decrease in the respiratory exchange rate in HFGln rats. CONCLUSIONS/INTERPRETATION: Glutamine supplementation induces insulin resistance in adipose tissue, and this is accompanied by an increase in the activity of the hexosamine pathway. It also reduces adipose mass, consequently attenuating insulin resistance and activation of JNK and IKKbeta, while improving insulin signalling in liver and muscle.

Just wondering if you know what you posted and bolded means? I have a feeling you're (even though you're "biomedical") thinking its bad...where everything in that conclusion says glutamine is great. Essentially it makes fat not be anabolic via insulin (less adipogenesis) and muscle and liver glycogen be more anabolic via insulin...WIN-WIN.

So maybe you should consider using it.
    www.dymatize.com
    SWells@Dymatize.com
    shawn.ZHR on ********

dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just wondering if you know what you posted and bolded means? I have a feeling you're (even though you're "biomedical") thinking its bad...where everything in that conclusion says glutamine is great. Essentially it makes fat not be anabolic via insulin (less adipogenesis) and muscle and liver glycogen be more anabolic via insulin...WIN-WIN.

Yeah i know what it all means, and you're right, the conclusion suggests that it is a good idea to supplement with it.

But i have no stance on glutamine (whether its good or bad), ive never considered and am impartial to whether it is good or bad for our purposes.
    I'm a carb+leucine+whey protein person and feel like i don't need to spend on anything else except creatine, fish oil, multi vitamin. So i've never considered glutamine partially cuz of a money thing, and partially because i think carb+leucine+whey does the job.

I was just posting that article because i found it and thought that you guys might consider it for YOUR argument. Just feeding some info to ya.

valtsaman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ok guys l-glutamine is a supplement used for muscle recovery mostly!!
    if u feel tired and over trained this is the right and only supplement to use!
    trust me it works!!! after using it for a few weeks you ll see you will not feel so soar neither so tired. L-glutamine works for other sports also. for example if you go on a ski trip for a week you ll be able to ski every day without feeling your legs soared.
    however in order to see and feel the results you need to take minimum 30-40 gr per day.... 10gr after workout and 10gr before goin to sleep are a must!! the other 20 take whenever in 2 dosages!
    since u recover faster with glutamine it is certain that you will also experience muscle gains as well not very significant though.

Question

Certainly doesn't reflect Powerlifters, strength competitors (strongman), endurance athletes (marathon type runners) or the Ronnie's and Jay's of the world. I think most studies, even with trained participants are interesting, but aren't reflective of very high-intensity training.
    Makes you wonder how someone like Layne does it.... without glutamine.
    ~

GeneGnomeX is a name known to all. (+5000) GeneGnomeX is a name known to all. (+5000) GeneGnomeX is a name known to all. (+5000) GeneGnomeX is a name known to all. (+5000) GeneGnomeX is a name known to all. (+5000) GeneGnomeX is a name known to all. (+5000) GeneGnomeX is a name known to all. (+5000) GeneGnomeX is a name known to all. (+5000) GeneGnomeX is a name known to all. (+5000) GeneGnomeX is a name known to all. (+5000) GeneGnomeX is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The abstract posted on page 1 is availabe in full text in this thread: http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/i...dpost&p=411589

RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Makes you wonder how someone like Layne does it.... without glutamine.
    i still stand by the opinion that additional glut does not significantly aid in building muscle or recovery. I train to race triathlons during the summers, which means I maintain a pretty intense training regiment including weights and distance cardio. Personally, I have not found the addition of glut to add any benefit to my training.

while i appreciate the non-body building/health reasons for supplementing glut, i am yet to find an athletic training purpose for it (beyond general health)

I <3 Osteo-Sport TheUnlikelyToad's Avatar
    TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RB12 View Post
    i still stand by the opinion that additional glut does not significantly aid in building muscle or recovery. I train to race triathlons during the summers, which means I maintain a pretty intense training regiment including weights and distance cardio. Personally, I have not found the addition of glut to add any benefit to my training.

while i appreciate the non-body building/health reasons for supplementing glut, i am yet to find an athletic training purpose for it (beyond general health)
    How are you taking it? ... Try taking small amounts with meals (5 grams). It's very alkaline, and tha body usually extracts calcium and glutamine from bones to act as a natural buffer. This is catabolic in itself. Overtime you may see some potential benefits.

Check out this study also, it's relatively new.

L: -glutamine supplementation induces insulin resistance in adipose tissue and improves insulin signalling in liver and muscle of rats with diet-induced obesity.

Prada PO, Hirabara SM, Souza CT, Schenka AA, Zecchin HG, Vassallo J, Velloso LA, Carneiro E, Carvalheira JB, Curi R, Saad MJ.

Departamento de Cl?nica M?dica da Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Rua Tess?lia Viera de Camargo 126, Campinas, San Paulo, 13083-887, Brazil, msaad@fcm.unicamp.br.

PMID: 17604977
    Xtreme Formulations
    Representative

||Bringing my a-game since '00||

RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TheUnlikelyToad View Post
    How are you taking it? ... Try taking small amounts with meals (5 grams). It's very alkaline, and tha body usually extracts calcium and glutamine from bones to act as a natural buffer. This is catabolic in itself. Overtime you may see some potential benefits.
    thx for the info, I will not comment on the study bc, well in all honesty, it is above my head

When i used it, it was 2 doses, in morning and post training, so dosing could be at issue.

TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RB12 View Post
    thx for the info, I will not comment on the study bc, well in all honesty, it is above my head

When i used it, it was 2 doses, in morning and post training, so dosing could be at issue.
    CONCLUSIONS/INTERPRETATION: Glutamine supplementation induces insulin resistance in adipose tissue, and this is accompanied by an increase in the activity of the hexosamine pathway. It also reduces adipose mass, consequently attenuating insulin resistance and activation of JNK and IKKbeta, while improving insulin signalling in liver and muscle.

This means it may have more merit preventing fat gain during caloric surplus.
    Xtreme Formulations
    Representative

CONCLUSIONS/INTERPRETATION: Glutamine supplementation induces insulin resistance in adipose tissue, and this is accompanied by an increase in the activity of the hexosamine pathway. It also reduces adipose mass, consequently attenuating insulin resistance and activation of JNK and IKKbeta, while improving insulin signalling in liver and muscle.

This means it may have more merit preventing fat gain during caloric surplus.
    thanks for the translation i have never used it to complement a "clean bulk", nor can i think of any logs i have read on such activitity (kind of like the original sesamin logs).

AJM1613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AJM1613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AJM1613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AJM1613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AJM1613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AJM1613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AJM1613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AJM1613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AJM1613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AJM1613 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AJM1613 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    From Christian Thibaudeau's article at T-mag:

Glutamine and glycine are two amino acids that have been shown to restore muscle glycogen almost as well as carbs. The 35-55g of combined G&G will almost have the same effect on glycogen replenishment as a similar dose of carbs.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1615551

Unfortunately he doesn't give references.

I would like to know if this has any scientific backing. I was unable to find anything.

FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I dont think glutamine is alkaline at all, let alone very alkaline - it's an amino acid, after all. But it is used for bicarbonate synthesis and in that way can buffer acidity.

As for the calcium being leached from bones to buffer acidity, heard that many times, yet neither my anatomy/physiology text nor any other Ive ever checked has described that as a pH buffering mechanism.

Glutamine would most likely be catabolized from muscle tissue, not bone, when physiological requirements exceed dietary intake and de novo synthesis.
    http://www.bitegrease.com

Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post

Glutamine would most likely be catabolized from muscle tissue, not bone, when physiological requirements exceed dietary intake and de novo synthesis.
    You are correct. I forgot to included muscles into my statement, that's what I intended.

Yeah, some Rolaids or Tums can do tha trick too if you are so inclined. I just prefer to add to shakes and/or BCAA solutions thoughout my day.
    Xtreme Formulations
    Representative

Originally Posted by AJM1613 View Post
    From Christian Thibaudeau's article at T-mag:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1615551

Unfortunately he doesn't give references.

I would like to know if this has any scientific backing. I was unable to find anything.
    That seems about right. Customizer told me about this a while back coming from Poliquin and had thought originally this might be good for TKD/CKD. I never ended up trying it as it forces glucogenesis but I know Poliquin suggests this PWO for those over a certain % bodyfat.
    Xtreme Formulations
    Representative

Originally Posted by dance2trance View Post

Prada PO et al.

Check out this study also, it's relatively new.

L: -glutamine supplementation induces insulin resistance in adipose tissue and improves insulin signalling in liver and muscle of rats with diet-induced obesity.

Prada PO, Hirabara SM, Souza CT, Schenka AA, Zecchin HG, Vassallo J, Velloso LA, Carneiro E, Carvalheira JB, Curi R, Saad MJ.

Departamento de Cl?nica M?dica da Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Rua Tess?lia Viera de Camargo 126, Campinas, San Paulo, 13083-887, Brazil, msaad@fcm.unicamp.br.

PMID: 17604977
    That's a handy study, Toad. I discussed it...like...2 posts before that. Nice though. As for the Layne comment and the steady stream of hate. I am delving in to scientific thought, not bro-bias. I am examining all sides. I am not selling glutamine, saying it needs to taken to be successful...whatever. That study is interesting. Further, what I posted about who it MAY work for and who it MAY not...stands. I also got in to dose, timing, type...go back and read this type of glutamine is a huge issue and creates a huge amount of incongruity with comparison of results. I AM A CHIEF CLINICAL DIETITIAN and use it with patients with great success. Different administration, different scenario...but it is in burns and trauma...repair, recovery necessary...maybe not so different. The form I use is different and has 100s of studies behind it. I explained even glutamine peptides is a wide variance in what is labeled this way and is not the same product to product and 95% are most likely not glutamine di-peptides. Certainly not Alynyl-glutamine dipeptides.

Open minds sure helps conquer dogma. I have nothing to gain over any of this. Simply exploring and educating. Some appreciate that. Some don't.
    www.dymatize.com
    SWells@Dymatize.com
    shawn.ZHR on ********

As for the Layne comment and the steady stream of hate.
    Nice.

I like how you associated my Layne comment with a.... "steady stream of hate."
    ~