bostongeek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

upper-middle chest workout

Hi,

I've been working out for a couple of months now and my chest seems to be developing in a strange way. The outer half of my chest on both sides and the bottom of it is growing well and getting harder, but in the middle of my chest the upper portion doesn't seem to be growing at all.

I've been doing the bench press, incline bench press and butterflys. I've gotten advice to try push-ups and the bench press with my hands close together, but then other people have told me that those excercises work the triceps more than the chest.

Any advice?

Thanks

AMPed08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm very surprised you're seeing the most gains in the lower portion of your chest from doing incline and regular bench. Doing pushups and bench with your hands closer together WILL target the triceps as you mentioned. Are your bench and incline bench getting stronger? If not you need to eat eat EAT! That is the way to gain size. It COULD be that you're overtraining, but i doubt it.

Are you doing dips by any chance? Those really work the lower pec which could be why you're gaining there.

xp2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here's a thought....try front delt plate raises.....I know, I know you're targeting your delts, but what most people don't know is that the upper head of the pectoralis major is an accessory muscle in flexion of the humerous relative to the trunk. In other words, your upper chest to assists your anterior deltoids when lifting your arms straight out in front of you. If all else fails, keep up with the incline (30 degrees or below). Give those a try and call me in the morning.

Section8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how often do you lead off with incline presses? try doing that more often.

bostongeek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

thanks

thanks for all of the fast replies.

I have been doing dips, so that could explain the lower chest muscle. My bench and incline presses have been getting stronger over time. I've never started off with incline presses, but that sounds like a great idea. I'll try front delt plate raises too.

I've always thought that incline presses target your entire upper chest. Is there any way I can modify the incline press to make it work the central chest more? My problem isn't so much with my entire upper chest. The outer sides of my upper chest are coming along, but the inner area of my chest doesn't seem to grow.

Thanks a lot

Rook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It could just be a matter of time. I do similar exercises, and my upper/inner chest is the last part to fill in.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bostongeek
    Hi,

I've been working out for a couple of months now and my chest seems to be developing in a strange way. The outer half of my chest on both sides and the bottom of it is growing well and getting harder, but in the middle of my chest the upper portion doesn't seem to be growing at all.

I've been doing the bench press, incline bench press and butterflys. I've gotten advice to try push-ups and the bench press with my hands close together, but then other people have told me that those excercises work the triceps more than the chest.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Try doing your incline and flat presses with DBs instead of BBs. At the end of your DB incline sets, do 5-8 quick presses in the top 1/3 of the range of motion.

Do incline cable flyes. This will target EXACTLY where you want.

Do the close grip push-ups after your chest workout. This will maximize pec involvement as they will be fatigued.

Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Section8
    how often do you lead off with incline presses? try doing that more often.
    yes, try and use as much energy as you can on your inclines and your chest will even out; keep in mind you probably wont be doing your regular benching as efficiently