the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

WEEK NINETY :: What Is The Best Sled Training Workout?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Note: How can I win? Answer all questions in the order that they are asked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Is The Best Sled Training Workout?

For the week of: 6/25-7/01
    Sunday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are always looking for variations to our workouts, especially if we are trying to increase strength and raise the level of our athletic achievement. Sled training may be one of those worthy of trying out.

What is the best sled training workout? Make sure to list weight used, distance, exercises, sets, reps, etc.

Who would benefit the most from this type of workout?

What risks are involved with this type of exercise and what safety precautions should be in place?

Bonus Question: Have you used this type of workout and would you recommend it to others?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

----------------------------------
    NEW PRIZE MONEY!!!!!

The best response will get $75 in credit, and second place will get $50 in credit to use in our online store and will have their workout posted on our main site for the world to see!

NEW RULE!!!!!

* New Rule: Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks,
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

built like a brick house Dallas68's Avatar
    Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    We are always looking for variations to our workouts, especially if we are trying to increase strength and raise the level of our athletic achievement. Sled training may be one of those worthy of trying out.

What is the best sled training workout? Make sure to list weight used, distance, exercises, sets, reps, etc.

Firstly let us discuss what Sled training is, to prevent anyone being too confused about what is being laid out in this article.

A sled can have ropes attached to it, for acceleration enhancement as well as building up power in your leg drive and hips, the core would be stressed as well. You can of course drag it along or push the sled. It is quite useful out in the open.

Sled training workout Example.

Firstly Safety first is needed with a weight belt to keep the body from being destroyed by the pressure exerted on it.

The Sled workout would not need to last for anywhere near half an hour, a good ten to twenty minutes would do you well for the day.

There is possibly an endless amount of exercises, positions with this product.

Forward drag with strap around belt

Backward drag with strap around belt

Side (lateral movement) drag with strap around belt

Side drag while crossing feet over with strap around belt

Bear Crawls done for speed with strap around belt

Walking lunges with strap around belt

Standing Chest press with the split rope (done with elbows in and neutral grip)

Standing Chest press with the split rope (done with elbows out and palms facing down)

forward lean triceps extension with the split rope

standing pulldowns abs with split rope (done exactly as you would if using a cable or band apparatus)

Pull through using the split rope

Forward walking with the rope in pull through position (sumo walks)

forward walking with arms extended in front (walk with high knees for extra variety)

one arm chest presses (alternate left and right one rep at a time)

Forward drag with split rope, hands behind back

backward drag with split rope, shoulders retracted slightly if weight is light enough

High pulls using the split rope

Rows to chest with split rope

1 arm rows using split rope

1 arm rows with rotation

Rotational pulls (complete designated reps for one side, then switch to the other side) ? start with the rope down by knees and then explosively rotate up and across body

Reverse Fly variations (using light weight / empty sled)

These exercises can be put into practice in an endless variance of intensity and deliberation.
    One could start their first week off with a push/pull routine.
    Example:

-Push the Sled with a light weight for ten movements of the legs.
    -super set with:
    -Pull the Sled with a light weight for ten movements of the legs.

-Push the Sled with double the weight for ten movements of the legs.
    -super set with:
    -Pull the Sled with double the weight for ten movements of the legs.

This is already four sets with rest only being in between each superset. If you feel you can run through this routine again then go for it.
    I recommend building up from doing this workout from two workouts a week to four or five a week.
    Distance would vary for which athletic discipline you adhere to, if you run the 100 meter sprints, you would then run with the point of trying to make your ten meter increments faster and quicker. If you do Endurance events, this sled would help to increase your V02 Max and open up the lungs and blood flow. You would then use the sled over further distances but at a slower rate than a sprinter.
    Last edited by Dallas68; 07-01-2007 at 08:14 AM.
    going full blast!

workout journal (random rambling)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168460783

Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Any committed athlete could strive to increase performance with this practical device, from explosiveness needed in American football to the Track and field; the sled can be used for any athletic commitment. Bodybuilders would not benefit so much from using this product under endurance training, but could use this as a tool to build massive hamstrings. Stick some weights or sandbags on top and do quick dashes for some power cardio.
    Those looking to be in the professional leagues would benefit from finding a way to specialize in this training.

What risks are involved with this type of exercise and what safety precautions should be in place?

Safety precautions would be to firstly have a belt on your waist which will not break and will keep your body together.
    Another precaution would be to start off slowly, firstly just the sled; after you gain some confidence and basic strength then add some light weights. As always a safety professional should look you over and make sure your lower back and hamstrings are all injury- free. This training can hurt you; the weight belt can pull back too hard and hurt your internal organs and system. So start off with a low tempo.

Bonus Question: Have you used this type of workout and would you recommend it to others?

I have used this type in terms of having a rope attached to me and having that force pulling against me, but not with a sled, I had human force pulling me back whilst trying to accelerate. Yes I would recommend this type of training (external force whether it be human or object); it is not for the faint-hearted and will change your perception of how fit you really are. You will find your recovery times will be longer at the start and your ligaments and muscles will be pumping. If you want to be a well conditioned mean machine of an athlete I recommend this training.

Bibliography:
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/en...d_dragging.htm
    http://www.naturalstrength.com/weigh...ArticleID=1275
    Last edited by Dallas68; 07-01-2007 at 08:15 AM.
    going full blast!

Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000)
    think i beat the deadline by about an hour
    here's my entry
    Attached Files
    **Canadian Crew**

Sain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The most common type of sled training programs are aimed at developing the sprinting speed in athletes. This is done by creating endurance during a long distance run. The athletes body adjusts to dragging the extra weight, then when the weight is removed the athlete feels faster. After a couple of sled training sessions you can actually increase your acceleration and thus increase your speed.

[b]How much weight to use?[b] Start with towing about 10% of your body weight and add weight according to that. You do not want to be pulling a sled that is so heavy your struggling to barely even move, but you also don't want a sled so light you don't feel any resistance at all.

Sled training isn't meant to completely take over your training program, but more as an addition to your strength or conditioning program. Because of this I recommend only sled training a max of twice per week.

Sample Sled Day

3 sets of 5
    Sprint 10yds followed by a Backwards Walk 10yds

3 sets of 5
    Bear Crawls ? 30 yds

3 set of 5
    Full Sprint ? 50 yds

4 sets of 3
    Side Drags - 20yds (Rotate the way you face every set)

Rest as long as you need, the object is to give 100% effort on each set.This is only a sample you can substitute with longer runs and different sled exercises. Heres a link to different exercises. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/en...d_dragging.htm

Sprinters. Atheltes who relay on quick burst of speed and fast acceleration. Those looking to add a bit of change to their program cheaply. A harness, rope, and weight is all you need. You can use things like old tires or pieces of spare wood for weight and your squat belt or a backpack for a harness.

When sled training you should always be well hydrated, if you begin to feel nauseas, dizzy, or light headed when working out. Stop. Take a rest and try and cool down. Also since you will probably be pulling your sled in a grassy area, try and avoid uneven ground as this could lead to twisted ankles and other injury's. Try avoid tall grass and brushes when pulling your sled you never know what could be hiding in there. Something else to look out for when sled training is placing put unnecessary pressure on your back. Try to keep the weight down, theres no need to be dragging your 12yr old sister around when a 20lb weight will do. Finally make sure you use a proper belt or harness when pulling your sled; the wider the belt is the more the load is distributed among your body and the less stress you feel.

http://www.completetrackandfield.com/sled-training.html
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/en...d_dragging.htm

eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    good stuff. It's hard to describe a sled workout, they're tough but it's on a whole new level. gotta try it yourself

I am never writing for this **** again.

goodbye folks. I'll keep my thoughts for myself.
    going full blast!

eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dallas68 View Post
    I am never writing for this **** again.

goodbye folks. I'll keep my thoughts for myself.
    a large portion of your material was from another site. not to mention that your article wasn't of the highest quality.
    good luck with your future endeavors.

Originally Posted by eagles56 View Post
    a large portion of your material was from another site. not to mention that your article wasn't of the highest quality.
    good luck with your future endeavors.
    thanks for your opinion, I admit it was not my best but I digress..
    going full blast!