fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Traps won't seem to grow...SUGGESTIONS?

My routine for traps consists of 5 sets of BB shrugs. I pyramid these sets and the reps are: 12, 10, 8, 6, 12. I am increasing the load by 5 pounds every successive set (except for the last one which I return to the original poundage). I do this routine every monday and friday. I also am able to do more and more weight every week but they still don't appear to be growing. I am making decent gains in my other muscles but not traps. Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks
    "In the wild there is no health care. In the wild, health care is ouch I hurt my leg. I can't run. A lion eats me. I'm dead...well I'm not dead...I'm the Lion. YOU'RE DEAD!" - Dwight Schrute

RandomHavoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How long ago did you start doing the excercise? It takes time for see muscle gain, a lot faster than how fast you can add weight.

fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fender23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been lifting for about 8 months
    "In the wild there is no health care. In the wild, health care is ouch I hurt my leg. I can't run. A lion eats me. I'm dead...well I'm not dead...I'm the Lion. YOU'RE DEAD!" - Dwight Schrute

philipZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) philipZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) philipZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) philipZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) philipZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) philipZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) philipZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) philipZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) philipZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) philipZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) philipZ has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Shrugs really have little to do with overall trap development, it mainly comes from heavy deadlifts. I'd cut back on shruging volume, and maybe do just 2 sets of 10-12 reps with the biggest weight you can handel. Also, make sure your using straps orelse the excercise is basically useless if your grip is giving out before the traps.

Drabnak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drabnak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drabnak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drabnak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drabnak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drabnak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drabnak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drabnak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drabnak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drabnak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Drabnak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by fender23 View Post
    My routine for traps consists of 5 sets of BB shrugs. I pyramid these sets and the reps are: 12, 10, 8, 6, 12. I am increasing the load by 5 pounds every successive set (except for the last one which I return to the original poundage). I do this routine every monday and friday. I also am able to do more and more weight every week but they still don't appear to be growing. I am making decent gains in my other muscles but not traps. Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks
    Clean and press.
    DB Shrugs.

Also you could try doing sets of 15 to 20 reps. I find that traps respond better to higher reps IMO.

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by philipZ View Post
    Shrugs really have little to do with overall trap development, it mainly comes from heavy deadlifts.
    ExRx.net > Your opinion

Shrugs
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...r/DBShrug.html

Deadlifts
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html
    Pullups Max reps: 40 reps
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Bench: 365 lbs
    Squat: 405 lbs
    Deadlift: 505 lbs
    Press:225 lbs

bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigguy29 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I dont know about anyone else, but my traps respond well to heavy, heavy weight. When I decrease the reps by by 2 I can go up by more than just 5lbs. Maybe try and go up 15 or 20 lbs to get the same amount of work in and work your traps harder.
    "Always act as though it were impossible to fail." -Anonymous

Registered User gountilfailure0's Avatar
    gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gountilfailure0 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    try behind the back shrugs with the bb and also deadlifts r good for it as well i got most of my development from behind the back shrugs more than front or db/s

Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Olympic lifts... cleans will do it

Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by fender23 View Post
    Just focus on building your deadlift max, there's no way you'll get up to five plates without your traps getting pretty big, unless you're just not eating enough.
    "When other people drink my drink, that means I'm not drinking my drink, and that's f-cking bull****."-NugzTheNinja

300x1, 225x10 bench

Powerlifting Goals
    315 bench
    300x10 squat
    375x10 deadlift
    405 squat
    500 deadlift
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=349412&page=3[/url]

Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Radok View Post
    Just focus on building your deadlift max, there's no way you'll get up to five plates without your traps getting pretty big, unless you're just not eating enough.
    Yup, heavy deads will add thickness to the traps.
    "Shut up and lift!"
    "Eat big to get big."
    "Deadlift and grow."
    'Train, Eat, Sleep."
    "Knowledge is power."
    "What does not kill you, will make you stronger."

Ergo sum fortissimus.

Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well it might not sound as nice, but my thoughts are -

your body is... what it is. if you are keeping a set lifting program, seeing increases in weight. Then so be it if your traps are growing right now. You know, lifting is life long and the body does take time. It's not like you have 18" arms and tiny traps right? I'm sure it's all in decent proportion with your body.

You will find guys with huge traps and small ones, and big shoulders and not so, etc, etc ... what do you want your body to look like?

If you want bigger traps, well do trap stuff hard and heavy. If not, well don't worry about it. If you have 18" arms and a ripped core, then ok ya, maybe worry about those traps. If not, well, I'm sure they will catch up.
    something clever and witty

my pic is very old Senor Awesome's Avatar
    Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had this problem for a brief time and here's how I fixed it:

When I lift the weight/bring it up with my traps, I hold the weight for 5 full seconds up with my traps (if your traps are shaking and screaming at ya, good good!), do that for like 5x5

Just don't roll your shoulders. lol.

UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I never had big traps until I started doing heavy deads. I was always the biggest procastanator *spelling* when doing deadlifts, but once I started to do them I noticed some gains. Now it's one of my favorite lifts.

That and I do barbell shrugs off the smith machine. I feel like I can hold it and squeeze it at the top.

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My advice is do more reps. I think traps respond better to high reps. Instead of 12 10 8 6 12, try 20 20 15 10 10. The weight will be lighter and your grip probably won't be as much an issue; and your traps will burn.

HOWEVER, I feel power cleans are a better exercise for trap develop than shrugs.
    No sir, I don't like it.

Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50) Radok will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Deadlifts are very effective at building both the thickness and hieght of the traps, because at the bottom of the movement, they are pulling mostly back, and at the top they are pulling mostly up. This means that as you go through the range of motion, you hit all the heads of the trap muscle.
    "When other people drink my drink, that means I'm not drinking my drink, and that's f-cking bull****."-NugzTheNinja

300x1, 225x10 bench

Powerlifting Goals
    315 bench
    300x10 squat
    375x10 deadlift
    405 squat
    500 deadlift
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=349412&page=3[/url]

my pic is very old Senor Awesome's Avatar
    Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50) Senor Awesome will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Radok View Post
    Deadlifts are very effective at building both the thickness and hieght of the traps, because at the bottom of the movement, they are pulling mostly back, and at the top they are pulling mostly up. This means that as you go through the range of motion, you hit all the heads of the trap muscle.
    The upper traps get hit pretty hard with military press as well.

lanks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lanks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lanks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lanks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lanks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lanks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lanks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lanks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lanks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lanks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lanks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Strongdog View Post
    My traps have exploded since I started doing Olympic lifts like power cleans, power snatches and dumbbell snatches.

My traps always kill the next day.

f*ck you, carpal tunnel mightymouse37's Avatar
    mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Drabnak View Post
    Clean and press.
    Originally Posted by Strongdog View Post
    Originally Posted by Juggernaut33 View Post
    Yup, heavy deads will add thickness to the traps.
    Originally Posted by lanks View Post
    My traps have exploded since I started doing Olympic lifts like power cleans, power snatches and dumbbell snatches.
    ^^^^ Listen to these guys. I've never done shrugs, but I was a coed cheerleader [yeah, say what you will, I've heard it all] for 5 years in college. Throwing those girls in the air every day at practice was exactly like doing power cleans for 2 hours, and my traps definitely got big and strong, pretty quick. IMO shrugs are WAY overrated. I think a lot of guys like them because they can load a ****-ton of weight on the bar, do 1/2-inch ROM "power shrugs" and look like a badass in front of all their buddies.
    You're = you are.
    Your = your.

I have no respect for those with no respect for logic.
    - Arnold, "Twins"

When life gives you a T-Rex, go Ninja-kick it in the head.
    - Rayne Summers

Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Howard 6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Senor Awesome View Post
    I had this problem for a brief time and here's how I fixed it:

When I lift the weight/bring it up with my traps, I hold the weight for 5 full seconds up with my traps (if your traps are shaking and screaming at ya, good good!), do that for like 5x5

Just don't roll your shoulders. lol.
    Yup a pause at the top and slow negative helped me a lot.
    And as said heavy deads.

ddrrtt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddrrtt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddrrtt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddrrtt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddrrtt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddrrtt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddrrtt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddrrtt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddrrtt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddrrtt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddrrtt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

for years my shrugs lagged. so I found and lod man in our gym, who had incredible traps, he gave me the following to do, and told me to do it till failure.

Heavy shrugs, 4-6 reps for one month

after a month your traps will probably adjust,

then the second month do double sets, 4-6 reps with shrugs, followed by 4-6 reps upright rows for a month,

then as before your shrugs will probably adjust again, then the third month do your sets with reps where you do 3, and hold the 4th reps for 3 seconds, then 3 reps and hold the 4th for 3 seconds.

It hurt like hell, and very hard to sleep the first night after doing these, but In three months my traps filled out more then enough to balance my build