amrani has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

weighted ab exercises

I understand I need to use weighted exercises to really increase my ab strength but what do I do when it's becoming too easy even with weights.

Two plates are just not comfortable (behind the head and on the chest).

I tried to put a little bar on my chest with weights and crunch but that's not comfortable too (the bar keeps rolling onto my abs).

are there any other good weighted ab exercise I can do?

keep in mind my gym is pretty basic (not a whole lot of machines). I cant do cable crunch or seated crunch for example.

mda8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do they have db's or a decline bench?

decline bench yes, db no, only bb

2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do decline situps with a band wrapped under the bench. Provides huge amounts of tension all the way through the hole exercise. These have really helped my core to get strong.

I'm looking for something to able me to keep progressing with weight (resistance).

besides, I dont have any bands.

2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2THICK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by amrani
    I'm looking for something to able me to keep progressing with weight (resistance).

besides, I dont have any bands.
    1. If you are a serious powerlifter you should have some bands or access to some.
    2. These things will staple your ass to the bench. I have strong abs and I can only use the (Purple) light band. Tension in these bands are limitless almost, much better than plates.

Since you seem set against these I will say go with the cable crunches. I do these alittle diffrent then others. Using a rope attatchment stand facing away from the stack. Grasp the rope and while standing "crunch" forward to the point of back being past parrallel with floor. These are great, after you can do the stack you can start adding plates with pins.

Also lying Cable leg lifts. Very effective.

there aren't any cable machines in my gym, only barbells, plates, bench...

BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As far as two plates not being "comfortable".........exercise is not supposed to be comfortable. I know a guy with a 745lb dead lift who does situps on a decline bench using two plates on his chest. A lot of guys complain that the bar is uncomfortable when they first start squatting, but eventually they get rid of those stupid pads and just get used to the bar.

You could also try a Janda situp (not sure if I spelled that right). I guarantee you won't need ANY weight with those for a while.
    Patience is a virtue. Impatience is a virtue, too.

momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try doing hanging leg raises with a dumbell between your ankles. I found that I need to add much less weight to make those hard than I have to add on incline situps.

bigwoopie: what is janda situp (how do you do it?)

momo: dont have any db's at my gym, only barbells

Amrani, not to be offensive, but it sounds like it is time for a new gym. Yours sucks. I hope you are not paying to go to this place. For about 30-40$ a month you can be going to a decent gym, your progress will thank you.

I dont have my own car and the second closeset gym is 30-40 minutes away on foot. I cant afford spending another 60 - 80 minutes just walking to the gym, the corrent gym is just 8-10 minutes away.

Besides, I got a lot of friends there (it's mostly a wrestlers club/gym).

I know I shouldn't make excuses but there gotta be some kind of an exercise I can do with the current equipment available to me.

BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigWoopieFizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A Janda situp is done against a wall. Lie on your back and place your feet on a wall. Your knees should be bent so that they form a 90 degree angle with your shins paralell to the floor. Then just sit up as you would during a regular situp. I got that from an issue of Muscle and Fitness back in the Eighties. Several pro bodybuilders were asked to do these, and NONE of them could get more than 3 reps.

momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So I have two ideas relating to my weighted hanging leg raise idea:

1.) Your gym has no db's so you could purchase a small adjustable dumbell set and bring in enough to challenge yourself on this exercise. They won't think you're trying to steal the db's when you take it away because they have none at that gym.

2.) Get a small rope, tie it to your ankles while looping it between a plate and do the leg raises like that. Never tried it, but it looks good on paper.

big woopie: I dont understand what's special about it, isn't that a regular situp?

momo: I'm kinda broke at the moment (16 with no job) so db's aren't possibe now.

as far as the rope, I really like the idea. I'll try the chain I use for weighted dips and chinups for it so it will hold it.

amrani- No it isn't a regular situp. Your feet are NOT against a wall, but On the wall. Your feet should be flat on the wall. Your legs should form a 90 degree angle WITH YOUR SHINS PARALELL TO THE FLOOR. Your thighs will be paralell to the wall. I have never seen anyone perform situps this way, and neither have you. Try it out. See if you can do 2 or 3 situps that way. I have a feeling that the reason these are so hard is because the peculiar leg positioning takes out all the assisting muscles from the movement. You will be doing a situp without the help of back muscles, glutes, tighs, calves.

Thanks! I'll try that too

already got two exercises to try!

anyone got any other suggestions for exercises?

For those leg raises, I'm sure you know this, but make sure not to swing and to keep your body in one place. Momentum or sticking your butt out takes out all the challenge in this exercise.

Also, I thought of a somewhat less workable idea. [run-on]I don't know what they're called in the outside world, but the exercise where one person lays on the ground grabbing the second person's ankles and the first person brings his legs up vertically then the second person throws them down either forward or to the side. [/run-on] I've been doing these with added weight for a while, but it's trickier. In your situation, I wonder if there is some way you could get some sort of band and tie it to the floor somehow and to your ankles. Would make for an interesting exercise if it worked, but I've never tried it like that.

JohnY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnY has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I use a method to work abs that I hardly see people do in the gym. I use a barbell and hold it above my chest like I am doing a bench press. You can do this on the flat bench for bench press or decline bench for decline bench presses. What I do is hold the barbell above my chest like I am doing a bench press and do a sit up. You hold the barbell at a starting position of a standard bench press the whole exercise, in other words, keep your arms straight but with a little bend in the elbow. Remember the angle of the bend of your elbow never changes. Just hold the barbell at the width of where you are most comfortable.

On the decline bench I do 3 forms of situps with the barbell. The first is where I lift my shoulders off the bench about 6 inches and back down, while holding the barbell above me. The second is a little more difficult at first but you will get used to it. You start with your back completely off the bench and then go up as high as possible(reach for the sky) while holding the barbell. While the angle of your arm changes because the angle of your body changes, it will take some time to get used to it. Try to keep your arms vertical(90 degrees) through this exercise. The third is just combining the first and second exercise together.

If you do try this, I would first try it with just the barbell(45 lbs) at first until you are comfortable adding weight. I'm up to 115 on weight(35's on each side).

I also do this exercise on flat bench and I find it very difficult. I've only gone up to 75 lbs on the flat bench. You use alot more weight with this form of weighted situps then holding plates. By holding the barbell above, it won't roll down your chest or stomach.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by JohnY; 09-08-2004 at 03:36 PM.
    John