MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Getting enough protein - VERY expensive!! Financial help needed!

No, not asking for money, but I read a lot about protein and whey, and how much of it I need. I need at least 185 grams of protein each day because of my weight.

Whey has most protein and a 10lb bucket costs $55 and will last for only 17 days! ( 155 servings per container, and I need 9 servings a day to get 190grams of protein) Protein can be found in white chicken meat and other meats, but that comes out to be even more expensive...

Since I am losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time, other things I looked at such as egg whites won't work because too many needed to get enough protein.

What are some other ways to obtain protein cheaply?

xdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Tuna is your friend.

crashdmj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    skim milk also

MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MonarchX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Tuna! Will try that!

What is skim milk? Do stores like WalMart and Publix sell it?

bballer12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bballer12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bballer12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bballer12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bballer12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bballer12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bballer12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bballer12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bballer12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bballer12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bballer12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You're not going to take in that much whey protein each day. The majority of your protein should come from whole foods. ie, chicken, tuna, lean meats, eggs, etc. Tuna and chicken in a can is cheap as hell, granted the chicken has a lot of sodium...but what ya gonna do sometimes, just don't go overboard. But you only need a shake if that a day. A lot of people only have whey shakes after their workouts. A pound of extra lean ground beef is only 3.25, at least it is up in NH where I'm from...but I'm just trying to make the point that you can get some good foods for fairly good prices.

OK, so I don't need that much protein then. What other SHAKES have protein?

Also, is it true that a lot of protein cannot be digested and causes liver and heart diseases?

I spend 40 minutes each day on muscle building as hard as I can, so I know I need protein.

pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000)
    You are relying on shakes way too much to get your protein. When people say you need X grams of protein per day, they don't mean to take it all in the form of whey. You should be getting 90% of your protein from whole food sources such as beef, chicken, pork, eggs, milk, tuna, etc.

Alternately, you could buy some powdered milk and drink that.

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    If anyone you know is a member of Sam's club or Costco they can take you there are you can buy chicken breasts and canned tuna in bulk for cheap prices.

some kid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) some kid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) some kid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) some kid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) some kid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) some kid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) some kid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) some kid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) some kid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) some kid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) some kid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by RipStone
    If anyone you know is a member of Sam's club or Costco they can take you there are you can buy chicken breasts and canned tuna in bulk for cheap prices.
    yes.. costco is your frined..buying in bulk is your friend.

MOST of your protein must come from foods... not 9 servings of WHEY shake.
    Whatever you do, don't compare yourself to people, compare yourself to the mirror.

taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000)
    goto the supermarkets/butchers near closing time and pick up some cheap meat

sometimes you can get whole chickens for 50cents

furious420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) furious420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) furious420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) furious420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) furious420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) furious420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) furious420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) furious420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) furious420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I feel your pain, I live in manhattan, the mostexpneive city in the country. I buy chicken in bulk fom my local meat market, and as for tuna, bythecase.net is my friend.
    The division between success and faliure lies not in fate or chance but ones ability to seize opportunity- JFK

Want to look like a model? Train with one.

[url]http://www.ckwellness.net/[/url]

Need support for your goals? Call on a spotter.

[url]http://www.thespotter.net/[/url]

ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You go through a 10lb. thing of whey in 17 days?

Nine servings a day? Are you out of your mind? 95% of that will be wasted since you're slamming down fast-absorbing protein when you don't need it at all. Eat some whole foods - meats, etc, and eat eggs (mostly whites) for breakfast. Throw in a little dairy in the form of skim milk or yogurt, and you'll have enough protein in no time. As a final resort, buy some MRPs and have one a day - it'll be good for 35+ grams protein and 20+ grams carbs depending on what you buy.

But always remember...eat eat eat. Eat breakfast to get a good start for the day in the way of protein - eggs, milk, etc. Eat healthy high-protein snacks throughout the day - nuts, yogurt, wash it down with skim milk. Supplement with whey in water postworkout with a carb source. Eat early, regularly, and often.

Whole food is your friend.

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by pogue
    You are relying on shakes way too much to get your protein. When people say you need X grams of protein per day, they don't mean to take it all in the form of whey. You should be getting 90% of your protein from whole food sources such as beef, chicken, pork, eggs, milk, tuna, etc.

Alternately, you could buy some powdered milk and drink that.
    Skim milk, tuna, turkey, chicken, lean round beef, lean steaks, chili, eggs, fish, there are about a billion better ways to get your protein than from a tub.

Well, maybe a half a billion.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

9 servings would give me 185grams of protein. That, or 3-4 chicken breasts a day. So, I should take shake RIGHT after work out, and the rest should be chicken, tuna, and etc.

Makes sense.

UniversityofFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) UniversityofFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) UniversityofFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) UniversityofFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) UniversityofFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) UniversityofFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) UniversityofFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) UniversityofFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) UniversityofFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) UniversityofFL will become famous soon enough. (+50) UniversityofFL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    sams club boneless skinless 99% fat free chicken breast $2.1 a pound, compared to nearly twice that at publix

kanan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What about those of us that do not have kitchens, in dorm life. Unfortunately most of my protein comes from shakes and bars. There is a Carl's Jr on campus (chicken club has about 35g protein) and an international food court (thai beef salad) so I do get other sources once a day or so, but besides shakes I have trouble getting it. Of course, some of my shakes contain just cottage cheese, yogurt, oats, perhaps not even whey or other things, but they are still shakes.

My meal plan only gives me 2 meals a week from a buffet, so cost is important.

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Kanan,

Can you put a refrigerator and a microwave in your dorm room? You don't need a kitchen. There is lots you can do with these two appliances.

Ah, well, how did you think I was storing that yogurt and cottage cheese to use in a blender? I have a refrigerator, and my roommate just got a microwave today.

But, what do you suggest I make with those things that is bodybuilding friendly?

I make cottage cheese, berry, yogurt, and oat shakes regularly. Time for a change no doubt.
    Last edited by kanan; 08-29-2004 at 05:15 PM.

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by A.FreeRadical
    Kanan,

Can you put a refrigerator and a microwave in your dorm room? You don't need a kitchen. There is lots you can do with these two appliances.
    Get a Foreman Grill. Simple, quick, versatile.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

waffles9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i believe there is simply no such thing as too much whey. i have experimented with many different bulking diets. now i take 2 scoops on top of a complete meal that includes a slow digesting protein (typically milk or eggs), 6-7 times a day. i go through 5# buckets every 8 days. i am 205# and now i am up to ~480g a day (5300 cals). nobody is going to agree with me but oh well. i was 165# (5'9) with 15.25" arms in march, now i am 205# with 16.75" arms, ~14% bodyfat, doing exactly this.

MRP's while bulking...

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by kanan

But, what do you suggest I make with those things that is bodybuilding friendly?
    Let's see... you can boil eggs, cook sausages, hamburgers, hot dogs, roast beef, fish, chicken. You can steam vegetables, bake potatoes, make casseroles, cook oatmeal. The suggestion to get a George Forman grill is a good one. They are cheap and do meats better than a microwave. Of course, if you have a couple of hundred watt audio amplifier, that could work too. ;-)

Gary

pumpingiron2004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You guys are little ***s. I eat almost 1000 grams of protein per day.

Originally posted by pumpingiron2004
    You guys are little ***s. I eat almost 1000 grams of protein per day.
    Oh. Right. So you must eat what, like 8000 calories a day? And I suppose you are also a ripped 280 pounds at say... 5'3", right? You should consider moving on to a different board.

-Nietzsche

I like pants!!! █♣█ liquid_fire's Avatar
    liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) liquid_fire has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    blah half a scoop of whey, some tuna, skim milk, maybe some oats, PB, etc
    Stick it in a freaking blender and BAM!
    you're good to go

Originally posted by A.FreeRadical
    Let's see... you can boil eggs, cook sausages, hamburgers, hot dogs, roast beef, fish, chicken. You can steam vegetables, bake potatoes, make casseroles, cook oatmeal. The suggestion to get a George Forman grill is a good one. They are cheap and do meats better than a microwave. Of course, if you have a couple of hundred watt audio amplifier, that could work too. ;-)

Gary
    I guess I never thought of the microwave as so versatile, more like something that makes rubbery bad tasting food. But keep in mind I don't have a kitchen, so space is very limited and my refrigerator is small.

gotheticus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try to have maxium two to three protein shakes per day as solid food is better. egss are a very cheap source of protein...dont underestimate them! my first meal of the day consists of 5 eggs and a pint of milk giving 40 grams of protein. thats another thing milk is a very good source too. tuna is very cheap and u can have 3 or 4 cans a day althought iv heard of people eating more. then you have steak and chicken and turkey and cheese and lentils.....

DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yes, NUking eggs in bowl are great way to have eggs.

Tuna, Sardines,oysters,salmon Kippered herring, Wine marinated herring, all only require a fridge, or floorspace, and no cooking needed for any.

heck eggs don't even need to be cooked, unless u are worried for getting mildy sick by eating the 1 bad raw egg out of 20, 000, even so unless ur 70yrold or 2yrold years u will only mildly sick for 1 day probably.

Heck i will give u example.

My fridge died for 2 days, I didn't know this so I ate some eggs, I felt like puking soon after i ate eggs for about 1 hour or so, and then i was okay.

So, if u don't have cooking device, just eat eggs raw.

P.S pick up frying pan for 10 bucks, and hot plate if u are reallt cheap.

never off the horse.. antbrdwar's Avatar
    antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50) antbrdwar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Eating eggs raw is a definite no. Humans don't have the enzymes to break them down. Rocky lies I tell you.
    They fall in line................One at a time................Ready to play

DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeadlyDan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    humans can't brake down cellulose or sweet n low either, what your point?

Also, u can break down eggs raw.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/nov/13/eggs.htm

PLus i've googled it, and i can't find any study that states raw eggs are bad because u can't absorb nutrients as good, in fact i foudn the opposite.
    Last edited by DeadlyDan; 08-30-2004 at 02:01 PM.