Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    It should be about health phabphour20's Avatar
    phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    At 3:30 I had some sea salted almonds and some dark chocolate. A nice late lunch.

So approximately 20 hours of not eating. Not too bad.

-PP
    I just want to be healthy.

phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good morning everyone... Happy Wednesday.

For dinner last night I had a delicious grassfed sirloin steak that I cooked on the grill pan. Just a little salt and pepper before cooking and then a pat of pasture butter melted on top afterward. My wife made a tasty salad with bibb lettuce, red onion and bacon. The dressing was made with red wine vinegar, a little dijon mustard and the grease from cooking the bacon. So good.

I ran out of fish oil. Instead of buying more, I have decided to try krill oil as my source of Omega-3s. So I ordered a couple of bottles. Won't get them for a week or so, so we'll see how that goes. I have read some stuff saying that the phospholipid structure of the Omegas in krill oil is better assimilated by your body than the Omegas in fish oil. Who knows? I figure trying something different is usually good. Nice to confuse your body.

Breakfast this morning was a serving of F AGE full fat Greek yogurt with a big handful of mixed nuts thrown in. Delicious and nutritious.

My plan is to skip lunch today and then go to the gym before dinner tonight. I am having some foot/ankle pain so I am considering not going to the gym again until Sunday to rest it. Not sure yet. I'll see how it feels later today and make a decision then. Either way, no lunch today.

Have a great day everyone.

-PP

cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100)
    I am very confused, Your log started like over a year ago and you have only lost 25lbs???
    Dude somthing is not right with this. What is this log suppose to be what not to do??

Originally Posted by cmjenkins View Post
    I am very confused, Your log started like over a year ago and you have only lost 25lbs???
    Dude somthing is not right with this. What is this log suppose to be what not to do??
    Thanks for the kind, supportive words.

I had some periods where I ate very poorly and didn't exercise. I didn't want to start a brand new log when I put weight back on from falling off the wagon.

I am still pretty proud of those 25 pounds even though since I joined this website I have lost almost 60. I also think there is value in being able to read someone's honest story, with the downs as well as the ups. That being said, I think I have a great, sustainable, healthy plan now and fully intend for that 60 pounds to be 100, eventually.

-PP

So, slight change of plans yesterday. I ended up having a bit of a refeed day, though mostly natural, healthy foods.

Some friends at work were going out to lunch and I felt like getting out of the office, so I ate a big salad for lunch. After that I had some dark chocolate.

My foot/ankle was hurting me so I took the night off from the gym.

When I got home from work I was hungry so I had some salami and cheese before my wife got home and we made dinner. Dinner was a sauteed chicken breast and some tomato, basil and mozzarella salad. Very good.

After that I ate a clementine. Higher carbs than I normally eat, but delicious and probably has some redeeming nutritive value. Later on in the evening I was feeling hungry (probably from all the extra calories and carbs I had eaten) so I made a bowl of yogurt with nuts.

I would guess this was at least a 3500 calorie day. I don't do this very often, so it might not be too harmful, maybe even helpful if you believe some of the people on these boards with leptin levels, etc. We'll see.

I am going to fast today. Last meal was around 10 pm last night. I don't plan on eating until probably 6 pm today, so that will have been about 20 hours of fasting.

I may try and do my deadlifts tonight, assuming my foot feels ok later. Not sure though.

-PP

cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100) cmjenkins is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by phabphour20 View Post
    Thanks for the kind, supportive words.

I had some periods where I ate very poorly and didn't exercise. I didn't want to start a brand new log when I put weight back on from falling off the wagon.

I am still pretty proud of those 25 pounds even though since I joined this website I have lost almost 60. I also think there is value in being able to read someone's honest story, with the downs as well as the ups. That being said, I think I have a great, sustainable, healthy plan now and fully intend for that 60 pounds to be 100, eventually.

-PP
    I just read my post and I came off as a ashole sorry man that was not my intention.
    It takes real balls to put yourself out like you have.

Please forgive me.

Originally Posted by cmjenkins View Post
    I just read my post and I came off as a ashole sorry man that was not my intention.
    It takes real balls to put yourself out like you have.

Please forgive me.
    You are forgiven.

-PP

My foot is still hurting, so I am off the gym until Sunday.

I fasted yesterday until about 5:30... 20.5 hours. At that time I had some salami and cheese before dinner. Dinner was a 4-egg omelet with broccoli and cheddar cheese and a few strips of bacon. A woman I work with lives on a farm and raises chickens. She brings me farm fresh eggs every week. $2/dozen. Can't beat it. After dinner I had a half serving of 86% dark chocolate.

I am trying not to eat too much these days as I am not going to the gym this week and I had a big eating day on Wednesday. Since I had dinner pretty early yesterday (was done eating by 7), I am taking this opportunity to try and squeeze in another 18 hour fast until about 1 today. I brought some yogurt and nuts to work today and a small portion of leftover steak from the other night. Should be a tasty lunch.

I'm annoyed I can't go to the gym, but rest is usually good.

Happy Friday everyone! Have a great day!

-PP

Hello...

Dinner last night was a cobb salad with chicken, bacon, an egg, etc. I also had about 5 glasses of red wine over the course of the night. A friend and I went out and so I drank some wine. Delicious.

Breakfast this morning was some scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese and one of my YouBars. My wife and I are going out with some friends tonight, so I'll probably have some more wine. Not shaping up to be a great weekend health-wise. I am going to go to the gym tomorrow morning though.

Have a nice Saturday everyone.

-PP

Sorry, disappeared for a month. Had a bad week the last week visting my family. I weighed in this morning at 269, after maintaining a baseline around 265 for the last month. I was fighting a cold so I wasn't really working out much and probably had a few too many nights with the red wine, dark chocolate, etc. It is nice to know that even when I do that (no gym, lots of food, albeit mostly real food) for an extended period of time, I don't really backslide at all. I just don't make any progress either. It is nice to know that I have found a diet that allows me to maintain my weight without counting anything or really worrying.

That being said, I want to tighten things up and buckle down for 5 months before my first child is born. I think the gym and eating healthy will be a much harder struggle after the baby is born. Not that I won't try... it will just be more difficult.

I am going to pursue a workout plan that mixes a more traditional bodybuilding/weightlifting routine with the routine of mostly bodyweight exercises I have been using lately. 2 weeks of a 3-day split, then 2 weeks of my bodyweight/deadlift routine. I am going to alternate eating each week too. One week will include my "cheats" which are the foods that are not strict paleo, like dark chocolate, more cheese, Greek yogurt, red wine, etc. The alternate week will be very tight with just meat, eggs, vegetables, some berries and some nuts. I will still mix in the occasional fast, probably something like 16-18 hours once or twice a week and maybe 24 hours once a week. Most workouts will be after a 10-hour fast with dinner following shortly thereafter.

I'll document everything here. I think it will be interesting to see if I do much better on the strict nutrition plan than the less strict version which will presumably be a higher calorie diet as well. I am also interested to see if I make strength improvements on my bodyweight exercises by doing the weighted lifts (bench press versus pushups, etc) and vice versa. I will weigh-in on Monday mornings, although I am going to use the Wednesday number of 269 this week since part of that will be water which I expect to lose in another day or two.

The next 5 months are important for my health. I want to be a strong, fit, healthy father for my child. I hope this plan helps me get there.

Cheers,

PP

matthunt12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthunt12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey. Good luck on the next 5 months and the birth of your child. I have A few comments on your plan if you don't mind hearing them. I weighed about 310 pounds 5 years ago and I'm now down to 195. I've learned a lot over the past 5 years. Your routine sounds really good, just don't get stuck doing the same thing for too long. As for your diet I think your setting yourself up for disaster; the biggest thing being the fast you have planned. If you have any hopes of gaining any lean mass a fast is probably the worst thing you could do for that. I dont even think it will help you lose weight. Your body is just going to hold on to all its body fat during that fast and munch on your muscle tissue. Not to mention the backlash a fast will cause on your diet. You'll be sure to binge after that fast. As for lifting after the fast, that is going to be such a catabolic event for your body. You may lose some weight around this fast but its going to be all muscle. As for the one week eating foods you like then eating lean the next, you're not really going to make much progress that way. Try to eat lean all the time, mix in those cheat meals once or twice a week. As for the dark chocolate, an ounce a day is actually really good for you. I hope you can take this for what it is, just a guy who's been there and done it trying to help you out. Again, Good Luck!

Originally Posted by matthunt12 View Post
    Hey. Good luck on the next 5 months and the birth of your child. I have A few comments on your plan if you don't mind hearing them. I weighed about 310 pounds 5 years ago and I'm now down to 195. I've learned a lot over the past 5 years. Your routine sounds really good, just don't get stuck doing the same thing for too long. As for your diet I think your setting yourself up for disaster; the biggest thing being the fast you have planned. If you have any hopes of gaining any lean mass a fast is probably the worst thing you could do for that. I dont even think it will help you lose weight. Your body is just going to hold on to all its body fat during that fast and munch on your muscle tissue. Not to mention the backlash a fast will cause on your diet. You'll be sure to binge after that fast. As for lifting after the fast, that is going to be such a catabolic event for your body. You may lose some weight around this fast but its going to be all muscle. As for the one week eating foods you like then eating lean the next, you're not really going to make much progress that way. Try to eat lean all the time, mix in those cheat meals once or twice a week. As for the dark chocolate, an ounce a day is actually really good for you. I hope you can take this for what it is, just a guy who's been there and done it trying to help you out. Again, Good Luck!

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback. I hear what you are saying about the fasting thing. It is definitely a controversial idea around these parts. I have done a lot of reading and research that supports it. It definitely goes against what most people in BB believe in and intuitively, what you said makes sense.

I definitely want to have a nice physique and have some good muscle mass. However, this is not really my first concern. I really just want to be as healthy as I can for as long as I can (and I'm sure the two go hand-in-hand). I have read several studies that talk about the health/longevity benefits possible from intermittent fasting. I have also seen other studies that show your metabolism doesn't really slow down and you don't catabolize muscle until about 40 hours of fasting, something I never approach. If you look a bit further up this thread I had a brief conversation supporting my intermittent fasting that might shed some more light on it.

I think I'll just experiment with my plan as it is including the fasting. If I don't gain strength or I find myself binging, then I'll adjust the plan.

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely keep it in the back of my mind as I move forward. And GREAT transformation. Damn impressive.

-PP

Day 1 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

The update:

Weight: 273

Starting my newly focused nutrition and exercise plan today. Mostly as described above. I had a bad couple of days eating crap, etc, so my starting weight is a bit high. My goal is to lose 2 pounds per week from now through May 25th (18 weeks). This should be about 36 pounds. Assuming that I am carrying some water today which will come off easily in the next few days, I think a decent goal would be 235 pounds at May 25th. 38 pounds lost from today, including some water. 30 pounds down from my recent sustained low of 265.

The Action:

Breakfast today was a serving of F A G E full fat Greek yogurt with a handful of mixed nuts. I am going to try and limit dairy, but I didn't have time to make eggs this morning.

I didn't eat lunch as I am working out tonight and wanted to have an empty stomach.

Gym tonight is going to be some basketball warmups and some deadlifts. I may also do some unweighted squats for mobility... we'll see.

Two weeks of this workout plan... Tuesday - deadlifts, Thursday - sprinting, Sat or Sun - pushups, pullups, dips. This should hit most muscle groups and focuses on bodyweight exercises.

I am still working on the plan that I'll implement for the other two weeks, but I am thinking I'll try to hit each muscle group once a week with three workouts per week... push (chest, tri's, shoulders), pull (back and bi's) and legs (unweighted squats, lunges) focusing on free weights or barbells.

My eating is going to alternate weeks of including the occasional glass of red wine, dark chocolate for dessert, cheese and nuts. I guess this week is kind of one of those weeks since I already started it off with yogurt and nuts. Since this is my first week back I am going to keep it pretty clean to jumpstart things.

Also, I am going to fast occasionally, but not on the days after lifting.

Cheers,

PP

Day 2 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

The update:

Weight: 272

1 pound down from starting weight of 273 on January 19th, 2010.

My goal is to lose ~2 pounds per week from now through May 25th (18 weeks). This should be about 36 pounds. Assuming that I am still carrying some water today which will come off easily in the next few days, the goal is 235 pounds at May 25th. 37 pounds lost from today, including some water. 30 pounds down from my recent sustained low of 265 and 38 down from my starting weight of 273.

I know it is silly to weigh myself every day, but I am hoping it will help me to stay on top of things. The "official" weigh-in day is Tuesday.

The Action:

Went to the gym last night, semi-fasted (~10 hours or so) and played basketball for 15 minutes to warm up. Then I did some deadlifts. Only three sets including a warmup set since I haven't done them in a while and don't want to hurt myself.

Deadlifts: 135 x 6, 185 x 6, 6
    Unweighted squats: 1 set of 10, unweighted (for mobility and stretching)

I was pretty much dead after this. Doesn't look like a lot, but I was spent.

After the gym I made dinner... A 1/3rd lb grassfed hamburger patty and a big serving of green beans amondine (green beans steamed then sauteed quickly with some sliced almonds in butter). I also took my standard 4k IU of D3 and 1000mg of krill oil.

Then I slept for about 7 hours.

This morning I heated up some leftover meatloaf for breakfast (1/2 lamb, 1/2 pork, an onion, 2 eggs, worcestershire, spices). I like to fast, but not immediately following workouts. I have another burger patty and some green beans for lunch today.

I have CFA class tonight from 6 to 9 after work, so no dinner probably.

Feeling good. Liking my plan.

Have a good day.

-PP

Day 3 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

The update:

Weight: 270

2 pounds down since yesterday. Water weight coming off.

3 pounds down from starting weight of 273 on January 19th, 2010.

My goal is to lose ~2 pounds per week from now through May 25th (18 weeks). This should be about 36 pounds. The goal is 235 pounds at May 25th. 35 pounds lost from today, including a little more water, probably. 30 pounds down from my recent sustained low of 265 and 38 down from my starting weight of 273.

The Action:

I had my class last night, so I skipped dinner. My last food was a serving of 85% dark chocolate at about 2pm. I ate breakfast at 7am today, so only about 17 hours fasted. My breakfast was rather large... 3 eggs, scrambled in butter with a bunch of cheddar cheese and 3 strips of uncured bacon on the side. Delicious.

No lunch today since I am going to the gym tonight after work. I'll probably just do cardio... basketball and maybe some sprinting. Then dinner. Not sure what I'm having yet. We'll see.

Feeling very sore in my legs, lower back and upper bacl/shoulders, from Tuesday. I love deadlifts.

Feeling good.

-PP

Day 4 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

The update:

Weight: 268

2 pounds down since yesterday. Water weight still coming off. Will probably come off for another day.

5 pounds down from starting weight of 273 on January 19th, 2010.

The Action:

So, no lunch yesterday as I wanted to go to the gym. My last meal was the big breakfast at 7 am. After work I went to the gym, around 7 pm, so approximately 11.5 or 12 hours since my last meal. I felt great. I warmed up on the basketball court for about 15 or 20 minutes and then did some sprinting for about 5 or 6 minutes. This kills me. Go all out for 10 seconds or so, rest a few seconds and then do it again. Brutal.

After the gym I ate a delicious grassfed T-bone with a side of asparagus sauteed in butter. Chased down with a serving of 85% dark chocolate. This will be eliminated next week for my "clean" week.

I skipped breakfast today and ate the other half of my T-bone and some leftover asparagus for lunch today after a fast of ~ 16 hours.

Not sure what is for dinner tonight. I am hanging out with a friend, so I'll probably (definitely) be consuming some wine.

Happy Friday.

-PP

Day 7 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

The update:

Weight: 268

Flat from Friday.

5 pounds down from starting weight of 273 on January 19th, 2010.

The Action:

I'll start Friday night... went out to dinner with my wife. I had a rare tuna appetizer in some spicy/salty sauce. Then I had a Caesar salad with grilled salmon for dinner. I also drank 3 glasses of pinot noir.

Saturday morning I went to the gym before eating. Warmup on the basketball court for 15 minutes. Pushups 12, 8, 7. Then assisted pullups and dips at 130 pounds of support. I did three sets of each, between 5 and 8 reps per set.

After that I ate a huge breakfast of scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese and breakfast sausage (eggs and sausage from a local farm).

Dinner on Saturday was cooked by a friend. I ate a lot and it was rather carby, but I didn't want to be rude and it was delicious. Chicken and steak marsala with roasted red potatoes and a side of sauteed spinach and artichokes. I did avoid the cupcakes for dessert but had another 3-4 glasses of red wine.

On Sunday I had some eggs scrambled with spinach and a few strips of bacon for breakfast. I love eggs. I ate some pistachios during the football games. Walked the dog at the park... some hills, etc. Mild exercise.

Dinner on Sunday was a beautiful roast chicken with a side of roasted brussel sprouts. I ate both legs and wings on the chicken and half the breast too. Very good. No wine or chocolate as this is going to be my "clean" week... at least until Friday when we have a company party.

I have yet to eat today as I am doing my weekly ~24 hour fast. I'll eat dinner tonight around 7, after eating dinner last night around 7:30. No gym tonight. Have to study. My body likes the rest. Tomorrow I'll go back and do deadlifts again.

Feeling good today. Weight should be lower on official weigh-in day tomorrow as I shed some of the water from the potatoes and wine. I am going to go back to weekly weigh-ins. The daily thing is just silly. After this week I'll switch up the gym schedule for two weeks too.

Cheers,

PP

thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just stopped by to say hi and to wish you all the best with your Keto diet.
    "It's all about getting back up"

Originally Posted by thesilent1 View Post
    Just stopped by to say hi and to wish you all the best with your Keto diet.
    Thanks. I appreciate it. Gets lonely in here...lol.

-PP

Day 8 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

The update:

Weight: 266

2 pounds down from yesterday.

7 pounds down from starting weight of 273 on January 19th, 2010.

My goal is to lose a little less than 2 pounds per week from now through May 25th (17 more weeks). This should be about 30 more pounds. I think 235 pounds at May 25th is still a decent goal. 31 pounds lost from today. 30 pounds down from my recent sustained low of 265 and 38 pounds from the starting weight of 273 on Jan 19th.

May 25th is a little more than a week before my CFA exam and about 3 weeks before my baby's due date. I figure this is a good time to give it a push before the baby comes. Studying gives me a fairly rigid schedule and allows me to schedule my workouts consistently. The first week went smoothly.

Next weigh-in will be next Tuesday, February 2nd. The goal will be 264 on that day. I have had a serious plateau at 265 for well over a month, so it will be nice to break lower than that, finally.

The Action:

Yesterday I fasted until I got home from work at about 6:30. This was 23 hours between meals and all I consumed in between was 4 cups of green tea. When I got home I powered down some mixed nuts before dinner. For dinner we made a big Greek salad (romaine, tomatoes, kalamata olives, feta, green peppers, cucumbers) with olive oil and vinegar and then I made a grassfed top round steak... sliced thin. A very good dinner.

I got close to 8 hours of sleep and made myself breakfast this morning. 3 eggs scrambled with a bunch of baby spinach and 4 strips of thick cut uncured bacon from my local farm. So good.

Since I'll be going to the gym tonight, no lunch today. Deadlifts tonight. Not sure what dinner will be.

-PP

Day 9 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

The Action:

Went to the gym around 7 pm last night. Approximately 12 hours since my last meal. I warmed up on the basketball court... running, jumping, shooting, chasing and then a couple of sprints. Probably 20 minutes total and I broke a good sweat. After that I did some deadlifts: 135 x 5, 205 x 6, 6, 6. Then a quick set of unweighted squats, just for mobility.

Totally spent.

After that I ate a delicious dinner. My wife picked up a rotisserie chicken and roasted some broccoli. We also had a good deal of leftover Greek salad. Very good. Lots of different types of nutrients.

Then I walked the dog and went to bed. I slept poorly, probably from going to the gym at night. This seems to mess up my sleeping but it isn't realistic to change it right now.

Breakfast today was the same as yesterday. 3 eggs scrambled with a big bunch of baby spinach and 3 strips of thick cut farm fresh bacon.

I am eating lunch now... leftover steak from Monday's dinner with some melted butter and parmesan cheese. Very good.

Class tonight. No dinner.

-PP

Day 10 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

The Action:

Had my lunch of steak with some pasture butter and parmesan cheese around 1 yesterday. After that I was still hungry so I ate a bag of dry roasted almonds... almost 500 calories worth. After that I just worked until 6, then went to CFA class until 9, then went home and went to bed.

I got 8 hours of sleep which was good. And it was much better sleep than on Tuesday night. This morning I made myself a delicious breakfast. I ate about 9, so about 19 hours since the almonds yesterday.

Similar to the last two days... 3 eggs scrambled with a bunch of baby spinach I wilted in butter. I had a breakfast sausage from my local farm so I cooked that up and tossed it in. So good. I also had a small serving of blueberries.

I plan on going to the gym tonight, so no lunch. Just some cardio probably... basketball and some sprinting if I had my guess. But I might mix it up. We'll see.

-PP

Day 11 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

The Action:

Went to the gym last night after work. Stomach was very empty... last meal being about 9 hours prior. Just a light session. I shot around on the basketball court for about 20 minutes, chasing down my bricks. After that I did a few full-court sprints. Nothing serious. Broke a light sweat. Just wanted to get the blood flowing.

After that I had dinner. Ate a bunch of mixed nuts while dinner was cooking and then had beef/pork meatloaf and green beans amondine. Quite good. I started my "dirty" week a little early with a small serving of dark chocolate after dinner.

This morning I decided to have a slightly higher carb day in anticipation of a work party tonight. I find that if I go into a night of moderate-heavy drinking on a near-zero carb day, it has bad results. So for breakfast I had 2 hard-boiled eggs and a bowl of strawberries, canned peaches and red grapes. Lunch was leftover meatloaf and green beans and then a full serving of 86% dark chocolate which has 5 grams of sugar in it.

Work party tonight, so probably a smattering of finger foods and a bunch of booze. Not going to be a good night, but I have had a great week.

Tomorrow I'll get back in the gym and start my new (more traditional) lifting schedule for the next two weeks.

-PP

Day 12 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

The Action:

So, as suspected... had a few drinks last night. Started with about 3 Bacardi and diet cokes at a bar before the party. At the party I had 3 or 4 glasses of red wine. They had a lot of appetizers and finger foods so I ate liberally of the ones that kind of fit my dietary plan. I ate, in no particular order, bacon-wrapped scallops, lamb chops, chicken satay, cheese, berries and a bunch of sushi (yes, with rice). I stayed away from anything breaded and the beer and desserts.

Woke up with a bit of a headbanger this morning. That is what happens when I drink too much on keto/paleo. So I spent this morning nursing my hangover. I made a big plate of cheese eggs and bacon. I ate some blueberries and some dark chocolate. I drank 2 cups of green tea. Then I took the dog to the park. We walked probably a couple of miles on the trails, up and down some small hills. Then I just had a big snack of some cheddar cheese and leftover meatloaf that I warmed up/fried in the leftover bacon fat from breakfast. Then I had some more dark chocolate.

I have been eating a lot of food today to make myself feel better. Headache is finally fading. I think we'll have a nice, big dinner as well... and probably some more wine. I love the weekend. Tomorrow morning I will go to the gym and start two weeks on my new plan.

-PP

Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey whats going on i read some of your posts and i wish i had the stick-to-it-tiveness to keep a log like this.

I went from 230-170 in a years time and basically it was just eating spread out low carb meals throughout the day.

I really dont think its a good idea to do the fast just because it leaves you open to being hungry for way too long. I also read that you wanted to have an empty stomach for your workout which is also a mistake. You need some sort of fuel to keep you going. Usually its gona be carbs. So whatever carb you eat in the day (nuts, whatever,) i would eat that at least b4 working out.

I have done several diets, low carb, moderate carb and keto. I found the easiest most structured one is Palumbos diet for a cut which is in the nutrition section here on bb. I tweaked it some and was able to get an ez 10 lbs off in a month to break a plateau.

Best of luck to you feel free to pm me if you have any questions or anything about meals etc
    No crew

Originally Posted by Salonpas View Post

I really dont think its a good idea to do the fast just because it leaves you open to being hungry for way too long. I also read that you wanted to have an empty stomach for your workout which is also a mistake. You need some sort of fuel to keep you going. Usually its gona be carbs. So whatever carb you eat in the day (nuts, whatever,) i would eat that at least b4 working out.
    Hey, thanks for the input. The fasting is definitely a taboo thing around these parts. I am committed to giving it a try as I really like it. I feel good while fasting and don't like being tethered to my meals.

I have been working out fasted for a while and don't experience a lack of energy. In fact, sometimes I feel the exact opposite. I think the fuel that my body is using while working out is fat.

Thank for the input, and it is hard to argue with your results (great job!), but I am going to give this a try for a bit. If the plan fails, I'll lose the fasts.

-PP

Day 12 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

Actually... Day 13

The Action:

Dinner last night was really, really good. We made some homemade meatballs (I'll post the recipe to the recipe section) in tomato sauce and a Caesar salad. We found a marinara sauce at Whole Foods with no sugar added, so only about 3g of sugar per serving, which is great. After that I had some chocolate. During dinner I had two glasses of rioja.

This morning I woke up and went to the gym. Warmed up for 7 minutes on the treadmill, jogging for a few minutes and walking uphill. After that I started my new two-week routine. It is going to consist of three lifting workouts. The first one:

Barbell bench press
    Incline dumbbell chest press
    Dumbbell flyes

Triceps rope pushdown
    Skullcrushers
    Assisted dips

I was spent by the end. I may start listing the weights at some point, but I don't really have time now and it was pretty sad. First time lifting traditionally in a while.

Anyway, felt good. After the gym I ate lunch of 4 scrambled eggs and some leftover meatballs.

Later in the afternoon I had some salami and cheese.

Dinner is going to be my famous homemade chili.

Have a great night everyone.

-PP
    Last edited by phabphour20; 01-31-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Day 14 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

The Action:

Ate a HUGE bowl of chili last night. It isn't bad for me, per se, but it is just too good. I end up eating way too much of it, as well as the attendant sour cream and shredded cheddar. After that I had some dark chocolate. I also had a few glasses of wine watching the Grammy's (which were terrible by the way, as usual).

Not much to say today. I am extremely sore after my lifting session yesterday. Used some muscles I clearly haven't used in a while. I am fasting until dinner tonight. Was heavy on the scale this morning. I am assuming it was because of all the food and wine I drank this weekend. Hopefully nothing a day without eating can't take care of.

Fasting and then studying tonight after dinner.

-PP

Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Salonpas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your workouts sound like they are going well, im restarting this month to really get my diet back in check. Hope to hear some good results, keep at it.
    No crew

Day 15 of the Stretch Run (Jan 19 to May 25th)

The update:

Weight: 264

2 pounds down from last Tuesday, January 26th.

9 pounds down from starting weight of 273 on January 19th, 2010.

My goal is to lose a little less than 2 pounds per week from now through May 25th (16 more weeks). This should be about 30 more pounds. I think 235 pounds at May 25th is still a decent goal. 29 pounds lost from today. 30 pounds down from my recent sustained low of 265 and 38 pounds from the starting weight of 273 on Jan 19th.

May 25th is a little more than a week before my CFA exam and about 3 weeks before my baby's due date. I figure this is a good time to give it a push before the baby comes. Studying gives me a fairly rigid schedule and allows me to schedule my workouts consistently. The first couple of weeks has gone relatively smoothly.

Next weigh-in will be next Tuesday, February 9th. The goal will be 262 on that day. I have had a serious plateau at 265 for well over a month, so it feels nice to break lower than that, finally.

The Action:

After work last night I had a big bowl of leftover chili with cheese and sour cream. This was after a 22 hour fast. I also had a couple handfuls of mixed nuts and some dark chocolate for dessert. No wine though as I was studying... which is a good thing... was drinking a bit too much of it this weekend. I am kind of looking forward to my clean week next week as I'll make more progress despite missing some foods I really enjoy.

Breakfast this morning was a big bowl of F A G E full fat Greek yogurt with a large handful of mixed nuts and a few blueberries tossed in. So good. No lunch today as I am going to the gym tonight despite feeling like my arms, chest and shoulders are going to fall off. I am really sore, but figure doing different muscle groups tonight should be ok. It may even help recovery in the muscles I worked on Sunday since I'll get the blood flowing, etc. We'll see.

Anyway, made some progress this week... hoping to continue it next week. Feeling sore but good today.

Happy Tuesday.

-PP