Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Registered User SirJohnFalstaff's Avatar
    SirJohnFalstaff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Good Calories, Bad Calories = The bible

LOL it's funny to see how many people have read that book on here. It's best book I've ever read on nutrition period. From a young age I was privileged enough to have belief that low-fat was BS from reading The Zone, Atkins Diet Revolution, and what not but they really failed to present the evidence necessary to really debunk low-fat/high carb diets. This book demolishes it. The only part I don't like is his whimsical dismissal of the power agribusiness has had doctoring the science behind the low fat/high carb diet. They may not have been the ones to come up with the notion of the low fat diet's health benefits but they've certainly kept the myth alive...just my two cents.
    Dating a fat girl is like riding a moped...it's fun until your friends catch you.

It should be about health phabphour20's Avatar
    phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
    LOL it's funny to see how many people have read that book on here. It's best book I've ever read on nutrition period. From a young age I was privileged enough to have belief that low-fat was BS from reading The Zone, Atkins Diet Revolution, and what not but they really failed to present the evidence necessary to really debunk low-fat/high carb diets. This book demolishes it. The only part I don't like is his whimsical dismissal of the power agribusiness has had doctoring the science behind the low fat/high carb diet. They may not have been the ones to come up with the notion of the low fat diet's health benefits but they've certainly kept the myth alive...just my two cents.
    I think he shied away from blaming them directly because it is such a common conspiracy-theory point for people. It becomes easily refutable and the person who says it is written off as a crackpot. By keeping to the science, and assuming everyone had people's best interest at heart, he can make rational arguments that can only be refuted through rational counter-arguments. He can't be easily dismissed.

-PP
    I just want to be healthy.

phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This has been a great keto day so far.

I have consumed:

Pork
    Beef
    Fish
    Chicken
    Cheese
    Eggs

I love it.

-PP

Just a quick note this morning/afternoon.

Went to my fiance's holiday party last night. It was fun. I probably drank 3 or 4 glasses of red wine over the course of the night. I ate a keto dinner before going and didn't touch the food, not even a bite. It is amazing how keto keeps the cravings at bay. I can look at delicious sweet martinis and cookies and bread sticks and whatever other crap they were serving and it doesn't even really interest me. Well, the cookies do a little bit, but not enough to make me want to stop my progress.

So, I probably didn't help myself by having all of that wine, but I don't think I set myself back too much either. All in all, I have been doing incredibly well through what is normally a crazy binge/carbfest time of year for me. A couple of holiday parties, free meals, etc. I haven't given in, and you know what, it has been pretty easy.

Today I hope to get to the gym, but we'll see. I am not going to sweat it if I don't. I know with keto I won't lose muscle. I also do really feel like I lose weight faster when I am not doing exercise every day of the week. I think I am going to aim for 3 or 4 days a week of lifting. I think that will be enough to keep my muscles, or make some small gains while I dump this fat.

I love keto. It is definitely the way I was meant to eat.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

-PP

Good morning.

I had a great dinner last night. Made some blue cheese and bacon stuffed burgers. Added some green beans almondine and a spinach salad. Declicious.

After dinner my fiance and I went to a holiday party. Once again, I had a couple glasses of red wine and completely ignored all of the hors d'oeuvres and the 5 different kinds of cookies they made. Keto is amazing! No cravings! Anyway it was a great night. A fun party with friends and I am still in ketosis this morning!

It is pretty nasty outside today, so I am probably going to have a nice day of lazing on the couch and watching TV. I'm going to go do some lifting tomorrow night. In the mean time, I'll let keto melt some fat off of me.

Have a great day people!

-PP

So I did end up getting to the gym yesterday afternoon. It was warm enough so the ice that fell quickly became slush and water.

I lifted legs and abs. Felt good. My quads are a little weak today which is a nice feeling. Good to know that I worked them hard enough.

Last night I cooked some pork chops in my leftover bacon grease from breakfast. I made a topping of toasted walnuts and gorgonzola cheese. I also made some asparagus and a spinach salad. It was a delicious dinner.

I drank a few glasses of red wine again though. I had a bit of an excessive weekend with the wine, what with all the socializing and everything. I am going to take it easy and try not to drink at all during the week. It never knocked me out of ketosis, but I'm sure it still set me back on the fat loss front. We'll see on Wednesday. I really want to be below 290, but I don't know if it will happen after all the drinking I did.

Maybe I will go to the gym again tonight. I think I will.

Have a great day everyone!

-PP

Good gym trip last night. I lifted biceps and back. I went to town on the rear deltoid machine and man, my back is sore today. It made me realize how much harder I can lift on all my lifts. I usually go until failure, but I don't go as hard as I possibly can every set. Does anyone do that?

After the gym I went home and had some dinner. Chicken caesar salad with some shredded parmesan. Yum. So easy and so tasty and so keto-friendly. I also avoided the wine for the night since I have been indulging for a few nights in a row and may have a few glasses tonight.

Then I went to bed.

Then I woke up.

And here I am, doing it all over again.

Tonight is my department holiday party. I will have a glass of wine or two and then call it a night. This time of year is killer, but I am doing the best I ever have this year (no beer and no dessert so far... and no egg nog). I am certain I will come out of the holiday season lighter than I went in.

-PP

Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    PP: Keep up the good work! You're doing great with all of the holiday temptations everywhere you turn...a couple of glasses of red wine are a hell of a lot better than landing face down in a tray of sugar cookies like I did last week
    Mo
    "...regret is an awful thing--a poisonous luxury. The less you have of it, the better."---Henry Rollins

V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Exclamation

GAAHHH!! I gotta quit coming here until I'm off this Velocity Diet. All this keto food talk with the meat, cheese, eggs, sausages, YAAAHHH!!

*pant, wheeze* Argh!

Last edited by blabber; 12-18-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: I'm hungreeeeee :(
    I'm Batman.

Okay, I'm not.

Here's a frog.

@..@
    (----)
    ( )-( )
    o0..0o

Originally Posted by Mo_ria View Post
    PP: Keep up the good work! You're doing great with all of the holiday temptations everywhere you turn...a couple of glasses of red wine are a hell of a lot better than landing face down in a tray of sugar cookies like I did last week
    Mo
    Thanks Mo! I have to say, keto is doing great, not me. When I am in ketosis and eating my regular fat+protein meals, I have no desire to eat that crap. None at all. I just look at it and think, "that might be tasty." But then for some reason, I don't eat it. In the past, on a 40-40-20, I would say, "that looks tasty, I think I'll try one." Then next time I walked by I would try one more, and then one more, until I had eaten half the tray.

Keto is my hero.

-PP

Originally Posted by blabber View Post
    GAAHHH!! I gotta quit coming here until I'm off this Velocity Diet. All this keto food talk with the meat, cheese, eggs, sausages, YAAAHHH!!

*pant, wheeze* Argh!

Eat some real food man! It is good for you!

Let me know how your VDiet goes. It sounds interesting, but is not for me.

-PP

Official weigh-in day...

Weight - 290 pounds (down 1.0 lbs)
    Waist - 48.65 inches (down 0.10 inches)

So, mixed results. The one pound loss was a bit disheartening, but I guess I can't complain since I drank multiple glasses of wine multiple times this week. The .1 inch loss on the waist was good. I am basically averaging .1 to .15 inches lost every week, so that was in line. That makes me think that maybe some of the difference in weight loss is actually due to the addition of some muscle. When I lift, weight loss slows down, simple as that.

Last night was nice. My boss brought in a bunch of wine (he is a collector). Some really good stuff, much more expensive than I can afford, so it was nice to try some wines I wouldn't usually get to taste. They had some catered hors d'oeuvres, which was nice too. One of them was bacon-wrapped scallops, so I went to town on those and let that be my dinner. The others were all fried or mini-sandwiches and egg rolls and stuff, so I stayed away.

A nice thing happened to me this morning. I was in the elevator with a woman from the legal department who has been out until recently on maternity leave. She told me that I "look great" and look like I had lost a lot of weight. That was really nice to hear. She didn't have to say anything, we are friendly, but aren't really friends or anything. That made my morning. No one here says anything to me about my appearance, I assume because they see me every day. It is like looking in the mirror every morning, I don't see changes.

Anyway, I thought I would share that anecdote. First positive feedback from a person other than my fiance.

39 weeks until the Wednesday before my wedding. 2 pounds a week lost would be 78 more pounds lost (110 total, 32 so far) for a final weight of 212 lbs. I still plan on being in the best shape of my life on my wedding day.

Have a great day everyone.

-PP

Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo_ria has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by phabphour20 View Post
    Thanks Mo! I have to say, keto is doing great, not me. When I am in ketosis and eating my regular fat+protein meals, I have no desire to eat that crap. None at all. I just look at it and think, "that might be tasty." But then for some reason, I don't eat it. In the past, on a 40-40-20, I would say, "that looks tasty, I think I'll try one." Then next time I walked by I would try one more, and then one more, until I had eaten half the tray.

Keto is my hero.

-PP
    Yeah, that's why I went back on it! It helps me out a lot...but give credit where credit is due----you still have to put in the workouts and do the work. A lot of people would freak out on this kind of regimen. It's just good to find out what works for you and then stick to it.
    Have a great day!
    PS I think Lyle McDonald might be my hero...
    "...regret is an awful thing--a poisonous luxury. The less you have of it, the better."---Henry Rollins

Good morning everyone.

Feeling pretty good today. I got out of work and went to the gym last night. I lifted chest, triceps and shoulders. I felt pretty good. Worked hard.

I got home, and since my fiance was at her department holiday party, I made a PP special keto dinner. A can of tuna in mayo with some cheddar cheese and a chopped Claussen kosher dill pickle mixed in. I love it. Almost zero carbs, lots of protein and a good amount of fat. I also had myself a glass of red wine and a small piece of dark chocolate for dessert. Excellent.

I plan on going to the gym again tonight, legs an abs. But we'll see. This is the last night my fiance and I will have together before she goes away for Christmas to see her family. We might skip the gym and make a nice dinner, etc. We'll see.

Have a great day everyone.

-PP

Carb Up!

Ok, so here goes...

My fiance had her performance review at work yesterday. It went well. She got a nice raise. We went out to celebrate. I decided to do a carbup/cheat meal and I decided to do it all out.

I had about an entire loaf of bread with butter before dinner. Then I had some nice French onion soup. Dinner was a big burger and fries. For dessert, this is the kicker, I had a banana split. Delicious. So many carbs. So many calories. I also had 4 big glasses of red wine... yikes. We had a great time though.

I got on the scale this morning, just for laughs... 296. 6 pounds gained overnight. I love it. I'm sure 5 pounds of it is water, but still pretty impressive from one meal. We'll see how long it takes me to get back down to 290. I was starting to get cravings a bit and figured this was better than allowing myself Christmas Day as a cheat, since that is a whole day and there are cookies and egg nog and other delicious, sugary, disgusting foods.

Now I will attempt to not have any carbs until December 29th (I am going to the Giants/Patriots game) or New Year's Eve. I will carbup one of those days, and keep the other low carb. We'll see how it goes. But definitely no carbs until then. I need to be strong on Christmas and I think carbing up now, giving myself ample time to get back into ketosis, and killing the cravings that were starting to build a bit, may be a decent plan. Plus, it was delicious and we were celebrating.

So, I feel pretty gross this morning, but that will pass. Everybody needs to reset their metabolism once in a while, right? LOL.

I hope everyone has a great day today!

-PP

Just a quick note...

Yesterday was great. Went to the gym after work. I lifted legs and abs. Worked it hard. Then my fiance and I drove into the city to go out to dinner with some friends. It was nice. We had some wine and I ordered a steak. Delicious.

Today I woke up and went to the gym again. Biceps and back. It felt good for the most part, but then I felt a slight pain in my neck/upper back. I stopped and went home. I was planning on taking tomorrow off anyway, so hopefully it isn't serious and I'm fine on Monday when I want to lift again.

Had some tuna in mayo with some cheddar cheese for lunch. Drank some green tea. Feeling good.

My updates might be a bit spotty for the next few days over the holidays... I hope no one minds!

-PP

Oops...

Carbup! Haha, oops. Had some friends over yesterday to watch football. Turned out well for the Giants, but not so well for me...lol.

I ate pizza and chips and salsa and drank about a dozen beers. I feel disgusting today, but I am back in it now. I had some eggs and sausage for breakfast this morning. I am going to try to get to the gym to lift after work today before heading up to my mom's for the holiday.

I am going to keep a tight keto lifestyle over the next few days. Even on Christmas. I screwed up yesterday and I need to keep it tight. This week is basically blown, but I don't want to set myself back on top of the missed time. Tight keto. Drink only wine. Eat only meat and vegetables.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Have a great holiday!

-PP

pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    happy holidays and new year to you! looks like you're off to great things in '08!
    Making the Cut :: 2009 daily fitness and food journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=275946851#post275946851

Naah, there's no such thing as "blowing it"---you can pick right up and keep going. Although 12 beers would have probably made me feel disgusting, too, lol!
    Enjoy your Christmas and keep on keepin' on...!
    Mo

Good morning everyone.

I hope you all had a nice holiday. I did. I kept my eating to keto-friendly foods, but I sure ate a lot of them! Cheese, nuts, steak and green beans. That was my day. I ate a lot of those foods and also drank a lot of wine. That is what holidays with my family are all about. Eating, and more importantly, drinking.

All in all, I think I did ok. Still another hurdle to get by, New Year's. And also, Saturday. I am going to the Giants-Patriots game and tailgating is one of my friends favorite activities. We'll see how I can play that one.

Anyway, I plan on going to the gym today when I get myself in gear. Legs and abs. I am skipping my weigh-in today because I carbed up so recently. I think I am still carrying some water weight and don't want to post negative results. I think I may have added a pound or two over the past week, so I am going to wait another week before reporting weight and measurements.

Talk to you all later!

-PP

V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Eat some real food man! It is good for you!

Let me know how your VDiet goes. It sounds interesting, but is not for me.

-PP
    I couldn't eat much real food during the 28 days, but I can now. Woohoo, had some steak and some chicken! I lost 15 lbs on the V-Diet. I had to sacrifice a lot of holiday food events, which wasn't fun, but I had to stay strong.

You're doing great, I wouldn't sweat the extra holiday food too much. Looks like 2008 is going to be a great year for you!

Scott
    I'm Batman.

Okay, I'm not.

Here's a frog.

@..@
    (----)
    ( )-( )
    o0..0o

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Way to stay strong over the holidays man!! keep at it!!

Originally Posted by blabber View Post
    I couldn't eat much real food during the 28 days, but I can now. Woohoo, had some steak and some chicken! I lost 15 lbs on the V-Diet. I had to sacrifice a lot of holiday food events, which wasn't fun, but I had to stay strong.

You're doing great, I wouldn't sweat the extra holiday food too much. Looks like 2008 is going to be a great year for you!

Scott
    Thanks for the support man. 2008 will be a great year for you too!

Do you think you lost any muscle in those 15 pounds?

I really liked being on keto over the holidays, definitely made it easier to avoid overeating. I mean, I didn't even have any egg nog this year!

-PP

Originally Posted by gymratluke View Post
    Way to stay strong over the holidays man!! keep at it!!
    Thanks bro! A few minor slip ups, but overall, I did very well. There is no time in my life that I ever went to the gym on Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas. I am proud of that.

-PP

So, I did make it to the gym yesterday. I lifted legs and abs. It felt good.

I am hoping to get in there again today, since I have the day off from work and all. Biceps and back.

I have to keep on keeping on. Clean keto.

-PP

Just got back from the gym. Biceps and back. I like lifting.

I could get used to this whole "not going to work" thing. It makes it a LITTLE bit easier to get to the gym when I am not sitting at my desk for 12 hours a day.

-PP

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just got back from the gym. Biceps and back. I like lifting.

I could get used to this whole "not going to work" thing. It makes it a LITTLE bit easier to get to the gym when I am not sitting at my desk for 12 hours a day.

-PP
    LOL yeah it does! Thats why I love winter! I hardly have to work!!

Thanks bro! A few minor slip ups, but overall, I did very well. There is no time in my life that I ever went to the gym on Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas. I am proud of that.

-PP
    I am proud of you, too! Awesome stuff, right? Wait until you go on New Year's Day---then you feel really hardcore.

Originally Posted by Mo_ria View Post
    I am proud of you, too! Awesome stuff, right? Wait until you go on New Year's Day---then you feel really hardcore.
    We'll see how my head feels before we start counting our chickens on that one...lol.

It is awesome stuff though. Almost hard to believe.

-PP

Thanks for the support man. 2008 will be a great year for you too!

Do you think you lost any muscle in those 15 pounds?

I really liked being on keto over the holidays, definitely made it easier to avoid overeating. I mean, I didn't even have any egg nog this year!

-PP
    Wow, no eggnog. I've skipped it the last two years because I couldn't find one that wasn't made with high fructose corn syrup.

Nope, I don't think I lost any lean body mass with the 15 lbs. My lifts have gone up consistently and I may have even gained muscle. But I'm such a endo-mesomorph, I tend to hang onto muscle mass.

Happy almost New Year. Wow, how time flies. I think this will be the year I upgrade my 8-Track stereo to CD. Anybody know if anyone still rents Betamax tapes?
    I'm Batman.

Okay, I'm not.

Here's a frog.

@..@
    (----)
    ( )-( )
    o0..0o