Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Decline bench > Flat bench

Just wondering why alot of members here always recommend dropping decline in favor of dips. Yet no one bats an eye at the flat bench being involved in most chest routines. There are various studies that have shown that the decline bench recruits more fibers in the pectorals than does the flat bench. Plus, you receive much less help from the front delts when doing the decline press. I always got much better results from the decline bench than I ever did from the flat bench.

My current chest routine:

Incline dumbell press
    Decline barbell press
    Incline cable flye or kettlebell flye
    Weighted dips
    Weighted pushups
    Flat db bench (every other chest workout)
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 08-15-2004 at 03:19 PM.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I can't stand flat bench..

thena gain I'm not one to talk as my chest sucks and its my worst body part.. hell my legs are better then my chest now lol

Incline DB Press X4
    Chest Dips X4
    Tricep Work (some chest involved)

I'm actually REALLY considering switching to incline bb bench just for a week. And see how it goes. See how my chest feels from that..

but flat bench? Its an ego movement..
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    I can't stand flat bench..

thena gain I'm not one to talk as my chest sucks and its my worst body part.. hell my legs are better then my chest now lol

Incline DB Press X4
    Chest Dips X4
    Tricep Work (some chest involved)

I'm actually REALLY considering switching to incline bb bench just for a week. And see how it goes. See how my chest feels from that..

but flat bench? Its an ego movement..
    Yes sir, it is the very definition of a "ego" movement

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i don't like flat bb, i do like flat db

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hyper I treid flat db... UNTIL I got in position and leaned back real quick and felt a snap in my back... that cuased me pains all over for like ever..
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    i don't like flat bb, i do like flat db
    Flat db is good. I usually include at the end of my routine for overall mass in the pecs. But I still believe decline barbell is the best pressing movement for the pecs. Decline dumbell is just as good but it is too much of a bitch getting them into position.

SuperWeirdo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SuperWeirdo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Not to mention there seems to be more accident with flat bench. Pec tear, shoulder injuries etc.

Originally posted by SuperWeirdo
    Not to mention there seems to be more accident with flat bench. Pec tear, shoulder injuries etc.
    ^

Lightbulb

Exactly. Decline bench is just better all around than the flat bench yet the flat barbell bench seems to continue to be the most popular pressing movement in most gyms. I just don't see why.

Laying the Smackdown. Rocky_Maivia's Avatar
    Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    FOR CHEST:
    -decline > flat
    -dips > decline
    -cable flyes > *
    neg reds on sight crew

Originally posted by Rocky_Maivia
    FOR CHEST:
    -decline > flat
    -dips > decline
    -cable flyes > *
    lol what the hell? I was actually agreeing with you until that last line... what a tease

FOR CHEST:
    -decline > flat
    -dips > decline
    -cable flyes > *
    Once again Rocky, we agree. I am just saying of all the unnecessary exercises that can be deleted from chest day, flat barbell bench should be #1. Decline bench may not be as good as dips. But it is a worthy mass maker that should be included in any chest workout.

Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    neg reds on sight crew

X-EVIL-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-EVIL-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-EVIL-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-EVIL-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-EVIL-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-EVIL-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-EVIL-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-EVIL-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-EVIL-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-EVIL-X will become famous soon enough. (+50) X-EVIL-X will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What are you guys talking about.
    Flat bench
    incline
    dips
    those are the best excersises for gaining mass.
    my pic
    [url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/sickceli/start2years.jpg[/url]

ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by X-EVIL-X
    Flat bench
    incline
    dips

^

KISS works for me

Less internet, more gym DontRevMe's Avatar
    DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    and last week everyone was critisizing decline...

seriously this forum needs to make up its damn mind on this stuff half the time...

ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by DontRevMe

seriously this forum needs to make up its damn mind on this stuff half the time...

where's the fun in that?

It all started with a comment Henry made about it being dangerous on the RC. Naturally hyp3r agreed with him and made about 300 posts that week on the topic.

I dont see how it is so dangerous. More people get injured doing Flat than Decline.
    neg reds on sight crew

Less internet, more gym DontRevMe's Avatar
    DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DontRevMe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    seems like ALOT of the routines on this forum are bandwagonish..

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    just do what works for you
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

Originally posted by X-EVIL-X
    Flat bench
    incline
    dips
    Uh, no.

I have never criticized the decline here. The "ego" press(flat bench) is what I hate. It is the only exercise I know where someone can be moving 300 pounds and stil have a semi-flat chest.

Question

seems like ALOT of the routines on this forum are bandwagonish..
    ?????????????

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It is simply do to the fact BP is one of the most done exercises. As stated its an ego thing.

Hyp?
    what your not going to talk to us about how decline is rough on RC's? ..DOH .....haha I am thinking of getting back into BP again I dropped it nearly 2 months ago now.

J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000)
    It all started with a comment Henry made about it being dangerous on the RC. Naturally hyp3r agreed with him and made about 300 posts that week on the topic.

I dont see how it is so dangerous. More people get injured doing Flat than Decline.
    People get injured using too much weight+poor form, no matter what the exercise is IMO.

True
    neg reds on sight crew

J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000) J.S.B. is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: Decline bench > Flat bench

Originally posted by DiamondDelts
    Just wondering why alot of members here always recommend dropping decline in favor of dips. Yet no one bats an eye at the flat bench being involved in most chest routines. There are various studies that have shown that the decline bench recruits more fibers in the pectorals than does the flat bench. Plus, you receive much less help from the front delts when doing the decline press. I always got much better results from the decline bench than I ever did from the flat bench.

My current chest routine:

Incline dumbell press
    Decline barbell press
    Incline cable flye or kettlebell flye
    Weighted dips
    Weighted pushups
    Flat db bench (every other chest workout)
    I use pretty much everything you listed to some degree, except decline. I simply don't like being in the decline position, it's uncomfortable for me.

Flat BB has always been good to me. Back when my work schedule was more brutal, I still made gains doing just 3-4 sets of flat BB for chest a week (I'm not a low volume guy).

Originally posted by DanMc
    It is simply do to the fact BP is one of the most done exercises. As stated its an ego thing.

Hyp?
    what your not going to talk to us about how decline is rough on RC's? ..DOH .....haha I am thinking of getting back into BP again I dropped it nearly 2 months ago now.
    lots of people also do inclines. lots of people also do db curls. fact is, flat bb bench seems to cause the most pec tears, shoulder injuries, etc..

compare # of people injured on flat to that of flat db and incline db and inclne bb totalled up, and flat bb is probably still greater.

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    lots of people also do inclines. lots of people also do db curls. fact is, flat bb bench seems to cause the most pec tears, shoulder injuries, etc..

compare # of people injured on flat to that of flat db and incline db and inclne bb totalled up, and flat bb is probably still greater.
    I agree. Flat barbell is just not worth it for most.

Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

^

Originally posted by ed073
    where's the fun in that?
    ^^

Yup.. agreed. I had shoulder probs up to the time of stopping BB and doing DB.

I love decline.
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

-ohashi