waffles9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

is pyramiding up the best method?

nearly every post i read here involves pyramiding. this is where people increase the weight each set of their exercise until they use the heaviest weight on the last set.

i do 2 light warmup sets, then i grab the heaviest weight that i can do 4-7 times to failure (or maybe 1 rep away) each set. for example, right now, i warm up, then just grab the heaviest weight i can bench press 4-7 times (115# db's right now). i'll decrease the weight for the next set if i have to if i am going to go below 4 reps. i do flat, incline, dips, 7 working sets total.

is there anything wrong with this? all i hear about is pyramiding. i'm looking for both hypertrophy and strength

Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    use whatever weight you have to, to stay in your target rep range.....you dont have to use the same weight every set

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: is pyramiding up the best method?

Originally posted by waffles9
    nearly every post i read here involves pyramiding. this is where people increase the weight each set of their exercise until they use the heaviest weight on the last set.

i do 2 light warmup sets, then i grab the heaviest weight that i can do 4-7 times to failure (or maybe 1 rep away) each set. for example, right now, i warm up, then just grab the heaviest weight i can bench press 4-7 times (115# db's right now). i'll decrease the weight for the next set if i have to if i am going to go below 4 reps. i do flat, incline, dips, 7 working sets total.

is there anything wrong with this? all i hear about is pyramiding. i'm looking for both hypertrophy and strength
    I always end with a lighter pump set or two. This prevents "pyramid plateauing" from going to low in reps.

Jellotree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jellotree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jellotree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jellotree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jellotree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jellotree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jellotree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jellotree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jellotree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jellotree has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jellotree has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    With all of the new info available out there, I don't understand why people still do pyramiding. I'm not going to get into a long explaination, but if you're pyramiding up in weight (ex: 12,8,6,3,3 or something like that), all your're doing is burning yourself out for your heavy sets. It makes more sense to do say two or three sets of 8 (or whatever rep range you want) with your max. Then you can put all of your intensity into that weight. Pyramiding may be ideal for other forms of training (sports?) I'm not aware of. But for hypertrophy and strength, I don't see it as being the best meathod.

Some studies even suggest that any sets after the first working set do nothing but burn calories. That may be true, but I've never followed it myself.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i dont think any rep/set scheme is good if used continuosly

you need to change things up all the time. if something is working or you, stick with it. then if it stops working - go to something else.

i have used the pyramid up, and down, i've used 5x5, high reps, low reps.

right now I plan my reps and weight according to certain percentages.

so do whatever works for YOU!

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by Jellotree
    With all of the new info available out there, I don't understand why people still do pyramiding. I'm not going to get into a long explaination, but if you're pyramiding up in weight (ex: 12,8,6,3,3 or something like that), all your're doing is burning yourself out for your heavy sets. It makes more sense to do say two or three sets of 8 (or whatever rep range you want) with your max. Then you can put all of your intensity into that weight. Pyramiding may be ideal for other forms of training (sports?) I'm not aware of. But for hypertrophy and strength, I don't see it as being the best meathod.

Some studies even suggest that any sets after the first working set do nothing but burn calories. That may be true, but I've never followed it myself.
    What "research" or "info" are you referring to?