Closed Thread
    esquire415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esquire415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should I take creatine on my off days?

I found this on another website:

Seems like a simple question - but it is very hard to get a straight answer on this one. There is some evidence that indicates that creatine can help with muscle recovery. If this is true, then taking creatine on your off days is a good idea. Our feeling is that more research needs to be done before anyone can conclusively say that creatine helps with recovery. This research may not come anytime soon so you are left to make your own decision. If you feel that creatine is helping with muscle recovery, then yes take it on your off days. If you are not convinced that creatine helps with recovery, then you do not need to take it on off days.

Many people believe that you need to take creatine everyday to keep your creatine levels topped off. We do not see the research that proves this to be true. If you are taking creatine for the muscular boost in energy, that taking it just on workout days should be fine.

Want more facts to make this questions more confusing? A University of Kentucky study shows that use of creatine could help the brain recover from concussions and other injuries commonly suffered by professional and amateur athletes (the study was published in the Annals of Neurology - 11/2000). Brain damage was reduced 21% when creatine was given to mice three days before injury and 36% when given five days ahead of time. Rats given a diet with creatine for four weeks had 50% less brain damage than rats who did not receive creatine. This may explain why pro football players can recover so quickly from concussions - they take creatine.

So, if you play a contact sport you may want to take creatine everyday for the possible prevention of brain damage. Of course, more research needs to be done - but just another factor to consider when you decide if you should use creatine on your off days.

What do we do? Most of us take a half dose of creatine on off days and a full dose on days we work out.
    What are your thoughts? I plan not to take creatine on off days because I don't want to use my Animal Pump on those days. Or maybe I can use a cheaper creatine product on my off days (can anyone recommend cheap creatine in pill form? How about Kre-Alkalyn 1500 @ 1-2 caps per off day?).

outsida has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    buy another creatine for your off days. 90% of people on this board will tell you its beneficial to take creatine on off days, not only for maximum absorbtion but also to help you recover. If i don't take creatine, i'm usually sore for a couple days. Whenever i take creatine with the recommended doses im sore for a day MAX, usually not too sore at all.

StrengthMaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthMaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthMaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthMaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthMaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthMaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthMaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthMaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthMaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthMaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) StrengthMaker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yes, take it, buy bulk for your off day

drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drooks10 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    definitely take it on your off day!

Iceiktitan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceiktitan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceiktitan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceiktitan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceiktitan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceiktitan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceiktitan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceiktitan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceiktitan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceiktitan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Iceiktitan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Creatine has been proven to work as a muscle recovery add. Take it on your off days if you take between 5-10 on your on days. If you take between 10-15 then I would skip on the off days because you don't want too much creatine in your system which can lead to the development of creatinine which is bad for your liver and urinary tract. Do what you want ultimately but be sure you don't take too much.
    PA (Erie) ABC CHAPTER
    http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=17465

My 2009 Journey - Hell in a Cell
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=339746291

Where I Roam:
    http://www.animalpak.com

Who I am:
    Erie Pennsylvania Animal Barbell Club Coordinator

jkersch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm new to taking creatine and the label says take 5g twice daily. That's only 10g. I just read something online that said you should take about 25g daily for approx 150 lb male. Which do I do??

Supearman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supearman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supearman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supearman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supearman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supearman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supearman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supearman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supearman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supearman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Supearman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jkersch View Post
    I'm new to taking creatine and the label says take 5g twice daily. That's only 10g. I just read something online that said you should take about 25g daily for approx 150 lb male. Which do I do??
    If you're talking about creatine monohydrate, just take 5g a day (or 10g a day if that's what your product label says). 25g daily is for 'loading' but don't worry about that, focus on things that matter.

Also, strong bump on a 10-year old thread.
    Squat PR: 235kg
    Bench PR: 170kg
    Deadlift PR: 280kg
    @78kg

jkersch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ok thanks! Sorry I don't know how to work this site yet, I just googled then asked my question

JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Its a good idea if your doing smaller consistent dosing.

Like for myself today i took 10 grams creatine monohydrate but didn't take any yesterday. Back in 2004 I used to load 25 grams for three days then take 3-4 days off then repeat. If you have the budget the fancier creatines might be worth a shot like cre-o2, kre alkaline or creatine gluconate on off days.
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

Online coaching avilable
    ******** Great Physique Fitness https://www.********.com/Great-Physique-Fitness-575323199169735/?ref=hl
    Twitter SmetonFitness https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/great_physique_fitness/?hl=en

Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Creatine has lots of benefits outside of aiding in lifting. Using 3g everyday is a good way to get saturated and stay saturated.
    If you not feeling the burn your not pushing hard enough.
    "Don't talk about it, be about it" MK
    Change, Challenge, Compete

PhilSlater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just like with dosing, there has been a lot of debate over whether timing your intake of creatine is useful.

Studies show it might be beneficial to take your creatine around your workout. This is especially true if you're about to do a weight training session.

maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Supearman View Post
    If you're talking about creatine monohydrate, just take 5g a day (or 10g a day if that's what your product label says). 25g daily is for 'loading' but don't worry about that, focus on things that matter.

Also, strong bump on a 10-year old thread.
    I don't care what the label on your creatine monohydrate says, 5g a day is plenty, don't take 10g a day.

5 week response time I know I know...these thread necros