kazuma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

wheat germ instead of oats?

If you compare equal grams of wheat germ to equal grams of oats, the wheat germ seem superior in almost every way.
    Please call me on it if I'm wrong about this. From first glance I can't see why oats are more commonly consumed than wheat germ.

Oats have a slightly more calories, but not by much. Oats just a hair more of calcium, but not by much. In about everything else: vitamins, minerals, protein wheat germ seems to be superior.

Any thoughts?

depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How were you planning to eat your wheat germ? I use it pretty frequently, but it is a bear to choke down.
    EDIT: and are you talking about toasted or crude wheat germ?
    Last edited by depositio; 06-06-2007 at 09:29 PM.
    "To [(de)bunk],or not to [(de)bunk], I there's the point." Shakespeare (1603).

I'm unsure. Probably coffee grind it into fine pieces. I'll probably mix it with different things throughout the day.

I'm not sure about raw vs. roasted either. Maybe both? Sounds like you get better absorption when its roasted, but loss of nutrients when its roasted too. Well, probably roasted. It seems better overall.
    Last edited by kazuma; 06-06-2007 at 09:38 PM.

IrockZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) IrockZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) IrockZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) IrockZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) IrockZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) IrockZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) IrockZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) IrockZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) IrockZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) IrockZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) IrockZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kazuma View Post
    I'm unsure. Probably coffee grind it into fine pieces. I'll probably mix it with different things throughout the day.

I'm not sure about raw vs. roasted either. Maybe both? Sounds like you get better absorption when its roasted, but loss of nutrients when its roasted too. Well, probably roasted. It seems better overall.

that could work.. hmm
    freed from desire. mind and senses purified.

depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) depositio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    An advantage of roasted over raw is that the raw (or crude) wheat germ goes rancid quite easily (even refrigerated). I've been using raw wheat germ because I can buy it cheap in bulk. The roasted stuff that I've seen tends to be quite pricey by comparison.

Brazilians sprinkle wheat germ on top of black beans with rice among other stuff... which is the best use I've found yet for it. Apart from the nice taste it adds to spicey beans and rice, it also brings the essential aminos of that meal into a better protein balance. I sometimes add it to my oatmeal but I don't like it at all. It has a bad chalky texture. It's appalling in shakes. I'm wondering if it might be good for breading when roasting stuff? Maybe, dredge a thawed chicken breast or fish filet in egg whites and then coat with a spice/wheat germ mix? Perhaps I'll try that tomorrow. I have a funny feeling that it's gonna turn into chicken in baked paste... but I'll let you know.
    Last edited by depositio; 06-06-2007 at 11:03 PM.
    "To [(de)bunk],or not to [(de)bunk], I there's the point." Shakespeare (1603).

I can buy the raw stuff in cheap bulk too. Today I'm going to try to see if I can roast it myself.

I definitely feel the same about the taste, the raw stuff is nasty while the toasted stuff tastes very good.

If things workout, I might replace my bread, oatmeal, and morning cereal.

YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I just had some this morning in my oats.

It's great to sprinkle on stuff, but I wouldn't want to eat a whole bowl of wheat germ. It'd be kind of "too rich" in texture and flavor.