Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100)

Tuna in water versus Tuna in oil

It seems that Tuna in oil is considered tastier...
    I haven't had a chance to eat Tuna in water yet, but I'm planning to buy some on my next trip to the supermarket. So far I've only had chunky tuna in vegetable oil (what the hell is this anyway? What kind of fat?
    What's the difference in the composition of the tuna itself, assuming that I just dump the liquids and eat it?
    Also, is there any real fish fat in tuna? If so, how much, and does it have any omega 3 and epa/dha?

I need some Tuna education. I'm kinda new to it. I tried searching, but it seems like most threads focus on mercury poisoning.

AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50) AWILD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Stay away from tuna in oil. If you like the oily taste and texture (I dont) then just add some olive or flax to a water-based can. I usually drain 90% of the water out because I dont like soggy fish.

To even more emphasize this, the oiled cans have hydrogenated fats in them which are absolutely horrible for bodybuilding/health.
    Relax & Sleep is a plant-based liquid sleep aid that I have helped develop using my 30 years of experiencing different levels of sleeplessness. Proper sleep is critical to our overall health in numerous ways including immunity support, recovery, rejuvenation, and energy level. If you have trouble sleeping please PM me and I will do my best to help your situation.

gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by AWILD
    Stay away from tuna in oil. If you like the oily taste and texture (I dont) then just add some olive or flax to a water-based can. I usually drain 90% of the water out because I dont like soggy fish.

To even more emphasize this, the oiled cans have hydrogenated fats in them which are absolutely horrible for bodybuilding/health.
    The oil is hydrogenated it is just plain soybean or vegetable oil.
    Bumble Bee's seafood products (tuna, salmon, sardines, clams, oysters, crabmeat, shrimp, scallops, jack mackerel, anchovies) contain 0g Trans fats per serving.

http://www.bumblebee.com/products_indiv.jsp?prodid=105
    http://www.bumblebee.com/products_indiv.jsp?prodid=110

If it fits into your diet calorie wise go ahead and eat it. I don't really like my tuna oily though
    Last edited by gfletch; 07-19-2004 at 10:46 AM.
    The Holy Trinity: Diet, weight training and cardio
    If you don't Squat or Deadlift, don't ask what supps will help you gain mass.

"Strength and wisdom are not opposing values." - Bill Clinton

Returning to Savagery JustBrowsin's Avatar
    JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i eat it in the oil sometimes as part of a fat/protein meal. i dump the oil in with my eggs/whites and make a tuna omelet with it. Like stated above, it's just plain vegetable oil and there's nothing wrong with it
    Disregard Taco Bell, Acquire Filiberto's.

323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There is something wrong with it. Even "plain vegetable oil" that doesn't contain trans fats is garbage. These oils have been heated, bleached and deodorized (to cover rancidity), and any of the abundant omega 6 fats contained have been destroyed in the process. Stay away from tuna in oil. Get your fat from healthy sources, such as flax, fish, some nuts and seeds, grass fed meats, etc.

bakers11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bakers11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bakers11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bakers11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bakers11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bakers11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bakers11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bakers11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bakers11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bakers11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bakers11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Steer well clear of the oil version. I agree with matt on this one, its not high quality fats. If you want some oil in it, buy the water version and add your own olive oil. This would be so much better for you.
    SW: 305 lbs (June 15th, 2003)
    CW: 186.5 lbs (Aug 9th, 2004)
    Initial GW: 205 lbs met Mar 29, 2004
    2nd GW: 190 lbs met May 31, 2004
    New GW: 185 lbs met June 28th, 2004

There is no magic pill, just lots of hard work and dedication.

Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100)
    So if I drain the oil, there's still some in the fish? How much do you think?
    What the hell is vegetable oil, anyway? What's it made of and what type of oil is it? Polyunsat?
    I guess I'll stick to water from now on anyway, but I'm curious.

Also: Is there ANY Omega 3 fat content in the tuna itself?

A weird thing about the tuna I got is that the oil variety has 28 grams of protein (with 10 fat) and the water variety has 23 with 0 fat. Usually I'd think the protein values would be exactly the opposite... (same company makes them).

bump

dengar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OIL BAD! WATER GOOD!
    Weight at 12/25/03: 248lbs
    Weight at 5/26/05: 199lbs (goal attained)
    Present Weight 3/29/10: 232lbs (kids)
    New Goal: 199lbs again

323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Kaner
    So if I drain the oil, there's still some in the fish? How much do you think?
    What the hell is vegetable oil, anyway? What's it made of and what type of oil is it? Polyunsat?
    I guess I'll stick to water from now on anyway, but I'm curious.

Also: Is there ANY Omega 3 fat content in the tuna itself?

A weird thing about the tuna I got is that the oil variety has 28 grams of protein (with 10 fat) and the water variety has 23 with 0 fat. Usually I'd think the protein values would be exactly the opposite... (same company makes them).
    As I said before, the veg. oil (probably from corn, soy, etc) has been bleached and deodorized to cover the rancidity, and has become very bad for you throughout the processes. The tuna itself does have a tiny amount of n3, but less than .5g if the fat listed on the label is 0 per serving. As far as the protein being higher w/the tuna in oil, I'm unsure. Maybe there is actually more tuna in the can because it absorbs less oil than the tuna in water absorbs water? If the weight is the same, that could be the case, but that's just a guess.

bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Matt is right on target. WATER.
    Hit the Wall, Tear it Down!! - Wildman

Originally posted by 323mattb
    As I said before, the veg. oil (probably from corn, soy, etc) has been bleached and deodorized to cover the rancidity, and has become very bad for you throughout the processes. The tuna itself does have a tiny amount of n3, but less than .5g if the fat listed on the label is 0 per serving. As far as the protein being higher w/the tuna in oil, I'm unsure. Maybe there is actually more tuna in the can because it absorbs less oil than the tuna in water absorbs water? If the weight is the same, that could be the case, but that's just a guess.
    Hmm, good guess. Well, I guess I'll just have to eat more then. :P Thanks.