Darnaus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post still weird knee problem, and oh yeah, a new PR

I actually got a day off work today since my boss was sick, so i felt i had to do SOME work.. so i headed to the gym and did a max squat day routine.

Someone suggested, because of my knee problems, to do the max effort movement on the leg press machine, and then do light box squats afterwards. Well thats what i thought i would try today. I out only (2) 45 plate on each side of the machine - a nice decently light weight - to warm up with, and when i tried to do the movement, i simply couldnt. I couldn't go very far down before my right knee felt like it would give out any second, so i stopped doing.

Instead i did stiff legged deadlifts, and i got a new PR of 235LB ^_^ i did it once stiff legged, and i decided after that i would try a full deadlift... and what happens, even pushing my glutes out and squeezing, i get a slight pop noise in my right knee. I completed the lift, but i dont think any major damage was done. I guess i'll find out tomorrow morning anyway.

Why would my right knee be so ****ty? In high school i could leg press with (4) 45 plates on each side no problem. Maybe this could have something to do with having weak glutes somehow? If so, what are some good glute exercises you'd reccommend other than squats and reverse hypers, since we dont have a reverse hyper machine at the gym.

I'm determined to fix this knee problem so i can start getting a squat pr and working on my lower body strength. That stupidass knee is always in the way.

thanks, any suggestions or comments welcome
    Powerlifting!
    Strength > Size

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Have you ever had an MRI scan done on the knee? I know there's a long wait on them north of the border, and you probably have to have a cooperative doc to order one in the first place.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

oh yeah...

that was a stiff leg pr of course.

i guess deadlifts arent the greatest exercise to do for picking up women eh? I let a couple stinky ones slip - totally out of control. guess that movement helps that part of the body deal with gas eh?
    Powerlifting!
    Strength > Size

nope. no MRI ever done. and yes the waiting list is like months and months.

Every doctor i go to says "Oh, you're young and healthy, everything is okay. here are some anti-inflammatories!"

and thats it. one day i'll have a serious problem, ad it will be their fault.

i wish there was a sports medicinen doctor around here.
    Powerlifting!
    Strength > Size

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Darnaus
    nope. no MRI ever done. and yes the waiting list is like months and months.

Every doctor i go to says "Oh, you're young and healthy, everything is okay. here are some anti-inflammatories!"

and thats it. one day i'll have a serious problem, ad it will be their fault.

i wish there was a sports medicinen doctor around here.
    You can bet that if PM Paul Martin wanted an MRI done on one of his similarly-quirky knees, he'd wait in that months-long line with all the rest of the great unwashed, of course...oh, no, he'd probably have one the same day.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

thats what pisses me off about politicians. All they have to be is rich to get elected.

so yeah, if anything he can afford to go to a private clinic or go to the states and get one.

god damn rich people
    Powerlifting!
    Strength > Size

RepubCarrier will become famous soon enough. (+50) RepubCarrier will become famous soon enough. (+50) RepubCarrier will become famous soon enough. (+50) RepubCarrier will become famous soon enough. (+50) RepubCarrier will become famous soon enough. (+50) RepubCarrier will become famous soon enough. (+50) RepubCarrier will become famous soon enough. (+50) RepubCarrier will become famous soon enough. (+50) RepubCarrier will become famous soon enough. (+50) RepubCarrier will become famous soon enough. (+50) RepubCarrier will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: still weird knee problem, and oh yeah, a new PR

Originally posted by Darnaus
    I actually got a day off work today since my boss was sick, so i felt i had to do SOME work.. so i headed to the gym and did a max squat day routine.

Someone suggested, because of my knee problems, to do the max effort movement on the leg press machine, and then do light box squats afterwards. Well thats what i thought i would try today. I out only (2) 45 plate on each side of the machine - a nice decently light weight - to warm up with, and when i tried to do the movement, i simply couldnt. I couldn't go very far down before my right knee felt like it would give out any second, so i stopped doing.

Instead i did stiff legged deadlifts, and i got a new PR of 235LB ^_^ i did it once stiff legged, and i decided after that i would try a full deadlift... and what happens, even pushing my glutes out and squeezing, i get a slight pop noise in my right knee. I completed the lift, but i dont think any major damage was done. I guess i'll find out tomorrow morning anyway.

Why would my right knee be so ****ty? In high school i could leg press with (4) 45 plates on each side no problem. Maybe this could have something to do with having weak glutes somehow? If so, what are some good glute exercises you'd reccommend other than squats and reverse hypers, since we dont have a reverse hyper machine at the gym.

I'm determined to fix this knee problem so i can start getting a squat pr and working on my lower body strength. That stupidass knee is always in the way.

thanks, any suggestions or comments welcome
    dude,
    leg presses are horrible for your knees and lower back. I can almost guarantee that your knees hurt because of bad squat form... your knees should not move AT ALL during the squat if executed perfectly, you should sitback into your glutes and hamstrings. Don't take my advice if you don't want to, but we had a lifter who had "bad knees". what a crock of ****. we had him squatting properly and strengthening his tendons, ligaments, and muscles around the knee joint and now he can (although he shouldnt because he's an idiot) do squat jumps (for fun, mind you) with 225 without any knee pain.

Many lifters completely tear their patella tendons and ACLs and come back to squat hundreds and hundreds of pounds, even PRs. If you've been to a doctor and theres nothing wrong, then just suck it up and keep lifting. I can 95% guatantee you the problem will just disappear.

Do box squats, get someone to teach you the correct form, and don't go up in weight until you get it right. do tons of ab work. do back extensions. weak glutes might have something to do with your inability to sit back (im assuming you cant), so keep doing SLDLS like you've been doing, TRY TO DO 1-legged squats and lunges, again if they hurt just suck it up and do 'em, even with bodyweight if you have to. you'll get better in the long run. theres a bunch more exercises i could tell you, but try squatting correctly and doing the 1-leg/lunges and get back to us
    Last edited by RepubCarrier; 07-12-2004 at 07:02 PM.