SmOkEnDaBuDa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why cant you lose fat and gain muscle??

What i read is you cannot gian muscle and lose fat right? Well than wtf is putting on lean mass, why cant you workout daily,eat big and cleanly, which increases your muclse mass over time, and lost fat because of the cardio your doing on your off days?

cobra1414 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Because you need a calorie surplus to build muscle, and a calorie deficit to burn fat.

You can't drive north and south at the same time buddy.

Salford Reds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can.

The key issue to understand is over the definition of "at the same time". At any one particular point, your body will not be able to build muscle and cut fat.

However, you can break up a length of time into a bulking and a cutting phase. Bulk for a week, cut for a week, etc.

Originally posted by cobra1414
    Because you need a calorie surplus to build muscle, and a calorie deficit to burn fat.

You can't drive north and south at the same time buddy.

A calorie deficit to burn fat?? Whered you get that from?

You can workout (which also increases your heart rate) and a couple ours later or the NEXT day do HIIT.

zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zxcager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by SmOkEnDaBuDa

You can workout (which also increases your heart rate) and a couple ours later or the NEXT day do HIIT.
    But it's all in the sticky on top. Read the 1st para:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...threadid=81315

Cronus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cronus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cronus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cronus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cronus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cronus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cronus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cronus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cronus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cronus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cronus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you can most definitely build muscle while leaning down just takes more time cardio complex carbs tons of protein and a nice workout program i've done it.
    -----------------------Currently Researching--------------------------

GetHUGEorDIE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am currently cutting fat and gaining muscle at the same time, Its not that hard. You just need the right foods and supplements. Currently I am eating 5 or 6 meals a day about 2200 calories a day well below my maintence level. I am taking EAS myoplex lite and regular myoplex as well as EAS precision protein and phos****en elite. I also take GNC's Mega Men Multi, Vita C and Vita E, and natural amino acids.

ssiptang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by GetHUGEorDIE
    I am currently cutting fat and gaining muscle at the same time, Its not that hard. You just need the right foods and supplements.
    Same here
    and result is pretty good so far
    NooB

WOw thanks!!

BUt how much do you weight?

Im 18rys at 6'0 and 190lbs

Im average except that i have alot of stomach fat, and some in my legs but their huge.
    Attached Images

The Experiment is a name known to all. (+5000) The Experiment is a name known to all. (+5000) The Experiment is a name known to all. (+5000) The Experiment is a name known to all. (+5000) The Experiment is a name known to all. (+5000) The Experiment is a name known to all. (+5000) The Experiment is a name known to all. (+5000) The Experiment is a name known to all. (+5000) The Experiment is a name known to all. (+5000) The Experiment is a name known to all. (+5000) The Experiment is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It happens. They're called newbie gains. If you're new to the bodybuilding game, your weights will go up as you lose weight. Then after a couple of months, you hit a wall with your weights and will be difficult to break past them unless you stop being in a caloric deficit. It took me about a month a half to hit that wall. I'm making some progress in others and some I can't break that plateau.

So if you're new, yes, its possible. If you've been lifting for years, you may see a little gain in a couple lifts but then stop.
    - 10K A Day Crew
    - Giant Cock Crew
    - Perforated Your Girlfriend, Wife, Mom, or Sister's Colon From My Huge Penis Crew
    - Cigar Room Crew
    - 20K A Day Crew
    - Your Girlfriend Sucked My Cock When You Weren't Looking Crew
    - Godly Aesthetics Crew
    - My Jaw Could Cut Diamonds Crew
    - 50K A Day Crew

Registered User chemicaldreamer's Avatar
    chemicaldreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chemicaldreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chemicaldreamer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Salford Reds
    You can.

The key issue to understand is over the definition of "at the same time". At any one particular point, your body will not be able to build muscle and cut fat.

However, you can break up a length of time into a bulking and a cutting phase. Bulk for a week, cut for a week, etc.
    From reading some of your posts in this forum, you're the last person that should be offering advice to people.
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
    -Stephen Roberts

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Actually, although I usually think Salford Reds is wacked out, this time he is correct. You can gain lean muscle and lose body fat in two different situations. One of which is if you are a newbie, the other is when you have enough body fat that your body doesn't mind losing some. At any other time it is nearly impossible, and here's why. Your body does not value muscle nearly as much as you do. As a matter of fact, adding new muscle mass is generally the body's very last priority. So, in order to trick your body into thinking it is okay to build muscle you have to be in a state that says "I have plenty of food, there is no chance of imminent starvation. I can use the excess energy to make muscle." If you are not in a hypercaloric state your body prioritizes calorie useage to other things. As a newbie you have low enough amounts of muscle and high enough amounts of bodyfat that you have no reason to not build muscle, as you are not using a lot of calories on maintaining muscle mass.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    After 2 or 3 years of training, it's definately almost impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Only in the first year or so, you're most likely to do it...

Salford Reds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So it's possible to lose fat and gain muscle so long as i) your body is in double figures, ii) your diet is decent AND iii) you are taxing your body enough in the gym.

armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So it's possible to lose fat and gain muscle so long as i) your body is in double figures, ii) your diet is decent AND iii) you are taxing your body enough in the gym.
    No matter how taxing your workouts are, muscle growth would still be a bare minimum unless you're a newbie. Without enough calories, your body is not in an anabolic state...

LaxPro is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxPro is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxPro is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxPro is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxPro is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxPro is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxPro is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxPro is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxPro is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxPro is on a distinguished road. (+10) LaxPro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been gaining muscle and losing weight for about 10 months now.. I've lost about 35ish pounds of fat..meanwhile my lifts have increased dramatically in everything. When I started i was literally a tub of lard, now i'm actually considered slim by my friends and i have a good amount of muscle.

as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lifting more weight should not be confused with gaining muscle

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by LaxPro
    I've been gaining muscle and losing weight for about 10 months now.. I've lost about 35ish pounds of fat..meanwhile my lifts have increased dramatically in everything. When I started i was literally a tub of lard, now i'm actually considered slim by my friends and i have a good amount of muscle.
    You are still a newb and you were fat. You met all the criteria for gaining while losing bodyfat. Try to keep it up next year. You will not be able to.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skoorbmax is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You can.

He's right. Even an advanced bodybuilder can, over say a 6 month period, lose fat and gain muscle. 4 months may be bulking and two months losing. There is no magic rule saying that this can't be shortened in duration to 4 weeks bulking and 2 cutting, or even shorter durations than that. Although at a specific slice in time you may not be able to do both, you can have two different slices back to back.

edro13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edro13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edro13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edro13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edro13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edro13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edro13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edro13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by LaxPro
    Same here! Almost exact same time period and everything. My friends and family call me skinny and I can lift leaps and bounds over what I could
    I play Russian Roulette everyday, a man's sport; with a bullet called life.

I was given a perfectly healthy body, I might as well make the best of it.

DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeezGst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Almost anyone who is new to taking up lifting and loosing weight will net gains in strength, muscle and loose BF. Look to anyone on this board or elsewhere who has taken up the sport of bodybuilding as a newbie and you will see an increase in strength and muscle mass. They are beginer gains. I had them as well as anyone else who I've helped has. It has been touched on by others in the thread. There are very limited cases where it occurs.

People with high BF%'s and Newbies, since this is the weightloss forum most people who post here are in fact going to have both of those falling under their belt.

Genetics will determine how long and how well this process will work for an individual. Good genetics combined with a good diet could give very positive results. I promise you though once you reach a realitivly low BF% gaining + loosing BF will become harder and harder and eventually an impossibilty.

I've had some decent results with calorie cycling but even that came to a point where my weight was stagnant and it was ither cutt/bulk no in between.

In lamen as possible... you can't make something out of nothing. If your not taking in excess calories you have nothing to build with. It's like trying to make a sand castle without sand.

Derek
    Last edited by DeezGst; 07-06-2004 at 08:58 AM.
    Current Cutt after 6 mo bulk
    206-177

Summer Last year 04':
    161@10%BF

Summer 05' goal
    Goal 165-167@10%BF.

Transformation photos:
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=270629[/url]
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=193621[/url]

Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Odin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bump on the newbie gains, congrats newbies. Salford Reds, you are the worst instant guru I have seen in a long time...

Originally posted by SmOkEnDaBuDa
    LOL!!! You need to lay off 'Dabuda' dude.

I know violence isn't the answer...I got it wrong on purpose.